PDA

View Full Version : Rear fog lights...

alterastro
12/15/2009, 04:32 AM
I've ripped the dangly down rear fog light off and as I off-road it I don't want to replace it. Instead I'd like to fit a couple into the space taken up by the rear reflectors (not sure that the US version has them, hence posting here). Question is, does anyone know of any red fogs that will fit there? I was looking at Land Rover rear lights but can't work out if they fit?!?

Thanks

Nick

Ldub
12/15/2009, 04:36 AM
I don't know about fog lights, but there have been several who've converted the rear reflectors to 2" LED clearance lights that come on as brake lights.

MSHardeman & Little Beast come most readily to mind.

Here ya go...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10474&highlight=rear+reflectors

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12834&highlight=rear+reflectors

I've ripped the dangly down rear fog light off and as I off-road it I don't want to replace it. Instead I'd like to fit a couple into the space taken up by the rear reflectors (not sure that the US version has them, hence posting here). Question is, does anyone know of any red fogs that will fit there? I was looking at Land Rover rear lights but can't work out if they fit?!?

Thanks

Nick

rowhard
12/15/2009, 07:13 AM
Yea, that has been on my round to it plate for a while. Am thinking the left one clear white LED as a sup backup light and the right a clear red LED as a rear fog. Something like this: http://store.vehiclelight.com/1035rc.html Think you will still need some type of rear reflector to pass a MOT

MSHardeman
12/15/2009, 08:20 AM
I did do this mod and it has held up well for the past two or three years. The lights I used are just brake lights, but I would like to switch them over to running/brake lights. Etlsport, if you read this could you try and find some info on the lights that you used because the link to the lights in the thread posted by dub doesn't work anymore.

Thanks.

handeeman
12/15/2009, 11:24 AM
Just a question, but why would anyone need rear fog lights ? Does anyone besides me really drive that fast backwards ?

tom4bren
12/15/2009, 11:59 AM
Just a question, but why would anyone need rear fog lights ? Does anyone besides me really drive that fast backwards ?

Of course.

Just make sure you put yours on the inside. The outside of yours is reserved for the cargo light.

handeeman
12/15/2009, 12:04 PM
Good idea...I can see it now ...handee's rear cargo fog light install thread.

tom4bren
12/15/2009, 12:42 PM
:_brickwal

Ldub
12/15/2009, 12:45 PM

I'ze be thinkin' it's so ya don't get rear ended in the fog...:smilewink

MSHardeman
12/15/2009, 01:33 PM
Actually, I could use some rear fog lights every now and then. Since there is limited visibility back there to begin with, coupled with dark window tinting and the fact that I live somewhere that we don't have many lights, sometimes it would be great to be able to turn some rear fog lights on so I could see what I'm backing into. Also, it could help with things like camping, or hooking up a trailer (for those who have a rear hitch).

But, it would definitely help when I'm hauling arse down the highway in reverse...those wimpy reverse lights simply do not throw enough light to scare the deer away.:biggringr

rowhard
12/15/2009, 03:52 PM

I got turned onto them in the early 80's in England and they are a god sent when driving in heavy fog. I DON'T like the rear fog that is part of the tail light cluster but when seperated as nick is talking about, they are brill

MSHardeman
12/15/2009, 05:19 PM
Wait, I just re-read the first post...do the JDM's have dangly down rear lights or where they owner added? The US version has no such dangly down thingies (these are all technical terms...sorry if I'm talking over anyone's comprehension :p).

crotchrocket
12/16/2009, 02:02 AM
Wait, I just re-read the first post...do the JDM's have dangly down rear lights or where they owner added? The US version has no such dangly down thingies (these are all technical terms...sorry if I'm talking over anyone's comprehension :p).

No, the JDM doesnt have fog lights but when they are imported to the UK they just wire up a small rear fog light to comply with UK reg's. Its normally just a cheap square light mounted below the bumper. Mine has been converted so that the rear fog is in the light cluster.

Nick i will check out how it was done as i didn't do it

alterastro
12/16/2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys!

It's UK law that we have to have rear fog lights. As James says, the dangly down one is added when they are imported and are quite fragile, especially if you off-road it. Rear fogs are basically the same brighness as brake lights when they are on, so I need to find some small round red lights that will fit in the space and withstand the heat generated by a bright bulb. Any ideas?

Here's a pic showing the dangly down one :smilewink
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG00032-20090627-1048.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG00032-20090627-1048.jpg)

Cheers

Nick

p.s. thanks James - that'll be my back-up plan! :o

rowhard
12/16/2009, 07:20 AM
the heat generated by a bright bulb. Any ideas

LED's would be the trick, no heat to speak of and can be very bright

Greasemonkey
12/19/2009, 10:01 AM
Hi - the easiest way to convert a JDM to having a rear fog is to sick a red 21 watt bulb in the o/s reversing light and redo the wiring
cheers
Steve
UPDATE - just went through the MOT but the tester suggested a red LED rather than a bulb as the bulb is showing a little more pink than red lol
cheers
Steve