PDA

View Full Version : New to VX's, considering buying one & need advice.

maxg765
12/13/2009, 06:37 PM
Hello All,

I need some advice and have some basic questions about the VX.

I have known about the VX since it was introduced in 1999 (America). Never considered one as I lived in Canada at the time, plus could not afford one...

I will be moving my family to the US (Phoenix, AZ to start then ultimately Florida).

My needs:
Today I have a wife two young kids, both under 4 years of age. My family hauler is a Volvo XC70 Wagon thus this would be my primary personal vehicle.
I do not off road and probably never will but do like trucks such as the original 70 Toyota FJ40's and the VX...

Were there options that I should look for. I don't know enough about the model yet to know what they were...

I do know that I prefer a 2001 model year but would consider a 2000. I want a stock vehicle and prefer low mileage example.

So I ask, can this be a reliable daily driver?

I have heard that the rear seats a terrible to get in and out of. They would not be used much but would have a child seat on occasion. I hear the rear views are terrible? I hear its poor on gas?

I would love to have owner opinions rather than rely on those older internet reviews.

I love the look of the truck.

Oh and I love that 28000 Miles 2001 black one thats for sale on the east coast and link posted in the sales section but at $13999 I am finding it a bit high compared to other for sale.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Riff Raff
12/13/2009, 07:16 PM
Hi MAX-- welcome to the addiction site of VX'ers. Yes, everything bad you've heard is true with regards to P.I.T.A. backseat, poor rear window visibility, 17 -- 20 MPG, and not to forget very finicky electric windows (getting stuck in the down window position).

Since the VX is a 2-door SUV (PUV), and you having very small/young children-- you will absolutely hate transporting your kids in the back seat. Plus, the C-Pillar is dead in the way of the rear passengers outside view and they only have tunnel vision looking forward through the windshield over the parents shoulders. Your kids will soon be screaming because they can't see out and watch the world go by. Most VX owner's remove the rear seat altogether because it's a royal P.I.T.A. You will find that 99.99% of all VX owner's are either single, or married without kids for this very reason. Those that do have kids, will also have a "family" type 4-door vehicle in their driveway for family related outings.

There are member's that do use the VX as a daily driver, and many others that do not. A better daily driver commuter car may be a more fuel efficient vehicle like a Hyundai/Kia/Toyota, etc. I also own a '78 FJ-40 and it sits next to my VX in the garage, as neither is a daily driver.

Not to discourage you from the VX, but perhaps a more "family oriented" SUV may be a nicely used Nissan X-Terra which has 4-doors and is more vision-friendly for young kids wanting to look out the side windows. The VX is not very family friendly and is the #1 reason why they are often sold (oftentimes after a new baby comes along).

Max, our very best wishes to you whatever your final decision and thank you for your interest in the VX.

MSHardeman
12/13/2009, 07:54 PM
Max,

I'm glad you've found us. Welcome.

Like Riff Raff said, most of the "bad" stuff that you have heard about the VX is true. The rear seat is VERY difficult to get into, but once you're back there it's actually very roomy. There is another thread on the site regarding some seat extenders which push the rear seat forward a few inches giving you more room to get to the back seat. I don't have kids, but I can't imagine trying to get a little one into a child seat back there. If it's an occassional thing I'm sure it would be tolerable.

The rear visibility is limited, but this is something that most of us have gotten used to. Some members have installed rear view camera's that feed to a video head unit, or a rear view mirror with a small screen in it.

The gas milage could be considered bad by today's standards. Members get a wide variety of milage from 13mpg up to 20 to 22mpg.

Even with all of that said I've used my VX as a daily driver for the past four years and I have LOVED every day of it. Besides regular maintenance (oil changes, fluid changes, belt changes) I haven't had any issues with the VX. Ten years after it was built it still gets looks, and people are always asking if it's a new model. I wouldn't drive anything else.

Sprey
12/14/2009, 01:25 AM
Have to agree with the above, getting people into and out of the rear seat is a pain, had my mate come along with me on a 4x4 trip a couple of weeks ago he prob jumped in and out of the back over 10's by the end of the day he was getting sick of squeening through the gap but he also learned the how to get in and out of it really quickly and hes like 6 foot or more cant quite remember.

with the rear visability youl notice at 1st and prob have a little moan about it and as the days go by youl just get completely used to it and its like driving an other vehicle.

Coming up december the 22nd will be a year for me since i got my vx and to be honest have enjoyed everyday, I use mine as a daily driver and i cant help but when driving to watch peoples faces to see if they do the WHAT IS THAT LOOK its quite funny.

Oneday weirdly enough i thought of selling it, never got around to listing it for sale, as i kept telling my self what the hell are you even thinking!.

With the rear view camera imo one of the best mods you can do for your vx if it doesnt have one already. soo handy for parking backing out of driveways etc, and if you can turn it while driving very handy to see whose tail gating you :D

Overall im guessing your best bet would be to take one for a drive and just test it all out and see if it works out to what you want.

nemo
12/14/2009, 03:19 AM
Hello Max
Since I know what you are feeling (really would like to own one) and what it is like to have a family I hope I can help a little. All of what you have read above is correct you would do a lot better as far as the comfort zone with another family type car.
Until your kids get a lot older they would have no trouble getting in and out of the car. You might have some trouble getting them locked into the child seats since you (or wife) would have to almost get in the back to secure them.
Since you are not an off road driver and indicate you might not ever be my guess is that you would like the 4x4 for rain and snow type weather – I agree 100%, I know the difference and it does help a lot.
As far as options, from what I have seen there are only a few options that were available and most people can live without them. I know mine does not have the remote unlock I would like to have but you know I used a key most of my life and it really don't hurt now.
I just bought a 1999 and love it. There are some differences in the years but just minor (again from what I have learned so far). I have read a lot on all of them and would not have any problem with either year.
The rear view is less than any other car but you have the option of installing a camera in the back so that could be resolved very easy. I drive my wife's Honda from time to time and since she sets the rear view mirror for her view I do not adjust it when I use it so she will not have to re-adjust when she drives it and that puts me in the same basic position as in my VX, poor rear view – so I guess it really don't bother me.
Another thing to consider on any older car is no matter how many miles it has on it things will be older and need replacing – like belts and such. You would need to plan to do some maintenance no matter how many miles it has.
Now for the part I understand most – Money $$$. With two, I am sure wonderful, kids and a very loving wife you must consider what they like and want – that is the hard part. I know how kids are (four of my own and eight grand kids) and feel they may love it but until you put them in one you will never know. The wife is a different story and needs to have her input into this purchase. Not all women have the same feelings about cars as men do.
I would suggest you find one close enough you can do a test drive and see what you think after.
The last thing is this is one of the best, if not the best, driving cars I have every owned and even though it cost me more to drive it than say a Honda or another more common car I really love it. If your pocket book can take the heat and the family like it then it may be fine for you.
Best of luck and let us know what you decide. By the way this is a great site and a lot of wonderful people hang around here.

Ed

maxg765
12/14/2009, 06:59 AM
Hi MAX-- welcome to the addiction site of VX'ers. Yes, everything bad you've heard is true with regards to P.I.T.A. backseat, poor rear window visibility, 17 -- 20 MPG, and not to forget very finicky electric windows (getting stuck in the down window position).

Since the VX is a 2-door SUV (PUV), and you having very small/young children-- you will absolutely hate transporting your kids in the back seat. Plus, the C-Pillar is dead in the way of the rear passengers outside view and they only have tunnel vision looking forward through the windshield over the parents shoulders. Your kids will soon be screaming because they can't see out and watch the world go by. Most VX owner's remove the rear seat altogether because it's a royal P.I.T.A. You will find that 99.99% of all VX owner's are either single, or married without kids for this very reason. Those that do have kids, will also have a "family" type 4-door vehicle in their driveway for family related outings.

There are member's that do use the VX as a daily driver, and many others that do not. A better daily driver commuter car may be a more fuel efficient vehicle like a Hyundai/Kia/Toyota, etc. I also own a '78 FJ-40 and it sits next to my VX in the garage, as neither is a daily driver.

Not to discourage you from the VX, but perhaps a more "family oriented" SUV may be a nicely used Nissan X-Terra which has 4-doors and is more vision-friendly for young kids wanting to look out the side windows. The VX is not very family friendly and is the #1 reason why they are often sold (oftentimes after a new baby comes along).

Max, our very best wishes to you whatever your final decision and thank you for your interest in the VX.

Hi Riff Raff

How funny is it that you also have an 78 FJ40. My other consideration is either a 78 or 79 FJ40 (by those years they had the 2F engine, 4speed, and 3:70 rear axle gearing for better highway use).

Your comments on the rear window view or lack there of for kids seems to be my biggest concern at this point. However since, our family Volvo XC70 Cross COuntry wagon would be the primary vehicle for family transportation I may be able to live with that short coming along with the poor access...

Again, thanks for your insightful thoughts and comments.

Max

maxg765
12/14/2009, 07:30 AM
Hello Again,

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

Maybe I should add a little more info about myself and make the usage more clear.

This would not be the primary family wife and kid hauler. We have the Volvo XC70 Cross country wagon for that. There will always be another primary vehicle aside from what I drive. This truck, or what ever I decide to get would be my daily driver for work. It wont be only an office type job and I would be on the road visiting clients thought the week. Its usage would start in Phenix Arizona from about January 2010 till say July 2010. After that I would be again relocated to Florida somewhere about North Miami area for good.

I currently own a 1997 Subaru SVX LSi AWD with 52000 original miles. Thats my daily driver right now. It is for sale. I have had it for a year and am the second owner. Black on Beige. It just didn't really do it for me...

I am no stranger to older cars either. I also own the following (which but for one will all be for sale in the coming months. The last one left will be the one that stays).
1972 Triumph STAG 36000 original miles Cream White on Black
1988 BMW M6 53000original miles Silver on Black
1993 Mazda RX7 FD Touring 18500 original miles Silver on Red

I have been downsizing life/expenses in anticipation of a large life changing move of the family from Montreal Canada to the USA.
Just Sold in the past 12 months the following missed prized collectibles, but family has to come first. No real profitable work in Montreal prompts the move.
1972 AMC Gremlin X Factory V8 3 Speed Manual 49000 original miles
1974 Mazda RX4 Rotary Coupe 34000 original miles (before the RX7 days)
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV2000 Coupe

I like older vehicles better than whats out there today. I love vintage cars and have been told that I have eclectic taste in cars.

I am currently considering the purchase of either the VX or a 1979 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser as my personal daily driver. I thought the VX since it certainly is a newer vehicle and thus maybe a little safer than the FJ40's although they are built like tanks.

The Subaru SVX is not great gas miser either and probably the same as the VX in consumption. Although it should be a concern its not at this time. I am s-pending it now thus I figure it wont feel any different.

The kids would really only be in the VX when either my wife is running late (or I am running early) and would need to drop one off at school on the way to work. If I am taking them out for a bit on a little outing on my own. Lastly, if the main family car is in for service... Other than that its me in the driver seat, work, and the odd occasion I go out with just my wife for say a dinner and we take my car in place of hers...

There are two I am considering right now.

Found this one while browsing the web. Anyone know of it? Is it a member here?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=270262705&dealer_id=64731043&car_year=2000&make_desc=Isuzu&search_type=used&distance=500&model_desc=VehiCROSS&filter_change=no_results_inc_srch_area_up&origuri=%2Ffind%2Fused-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-cars-for-sale-Scottsdale-85262.jsp&address=85262&cardist=312&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Another that seems to known on this site is the low mile on the east coast

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17029

But I am finding it pricy and prefer to deal with private parties. Since it in upstate NY under side or hidden rust concerns me although it does have low miles, is a 2001 year and is the colour combination I like....

Again, thanks to all for the replies and suggestions,

Best regards and I will keep everyone posted on what comes out of this.

Max

IronicMan
12/14/2009, 09:54 AM
dont know much about old FJs (they were before my time :)
as for the vx, its the best handling thing this side of a sports car.
that said, it is a labor of love if u will be putting a lot of miles on it. u really should either work on it yourself, or find someone u trust A LOT.
i use mine as a daily driver in winter (but have yet to experience real snow in it)

btw i am in TO and have an ironman edition. if you happen to be in the area and want to check it out (not for sale), just PM me.

cheers and good luck.

vt_maverick
12/14/2009, 10:22 AM
I'm in a very similar situation (married with a young child, mostly around-town mileage, daily driver VX) and I think you'll be fine as long as you (1) maintain another primary family vehicle, (2) do some reasonable upgrades to the VX to address its shortcomings. Here's a quick list of to-do's that I think would solve/minimize the main issues in this thread:

- Rear Sear Access - Get with tom4bren on a passenger side seat extender, which dramatically improves the accessibility of the rear seat (although it will always be difficult for a full-size adult). IMHO this is a MUST HAVE if you plan on keeping the backseat in the VX. Taking a car seat in/out of the back is do-able but a pain, so you might want to consider buying an extra set of seats to leave in there. We only take my daughter in the VX when the family vehicle is in the shop, so I just put up with the once-every-three-month hassle.

- Driver rear visibility - Buy a seat of $3 blind spot mirrors, a $15 fish-eye lens for the back window, and some Amigo/Rodeo center-less headrests for the backseats from your local junkyard and you're in business for cheap. I only have the blind spot mirrors, and they're sufficient for most visibility needs. Buying a backup camera is a nice-to-have, but certainly not necessary IMO.

- Poor backseat visibility - Dramamine and air sickness bags maybe? :confused: My wife got nauseas (sp?) from the tunnel vision effect of riding back there the other day.

Other upgrades to consider: rear seat cupholder for the kids' drinks (can be pulled from an old Trooper or ordered online), step bars to ease access for little people, SBC brackets to correct the window problem.

Bottom line is you can probably spend < $200 to make the VX liveable as an occasional family truckster.

spaceCADETzoom
12/14/2009, 04:48 PM
1993 RX7 FD...I don't know what it is, but there are lots of like minded people drawn to similar cars. You'll find a few VX owners here with the same love of FDs. I've sold plenty of cars over the yeas. I regret my FD the most.

maxg765
12/14/2009, 06:58 PM
1993 RX7 FD...I don't know what it is, but there are lots of like minded people drawn to similar cars. You'll find a few VX owners here with the same love of FDs. I've sold plenty of cars over the yeas. I regret my FD the most.

Hi

I agree, "like minded people drawn to similar cars."

Don't tell me that about the FD. I just posted mine up for sale this afternoon. It is still new. Want another one?

Maybe this is why
Vehicross=sort of an odd car
RX7 FD=odd rotary engine=odd car

Regards

Max

deermagnet
12/14/2009, 07:19 PM
Max, I don't think this one is for you, but you could stop by and look it over. Pretend you're interested and you could check out the rear view and rear seats and whatnot. Maybe take it for a spin.

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/1999-Isuzu-VehiCROSS (http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1999-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-W0QQAdIdZ158606944)

Mark

maxg765
12/14/2009, 07:32 PM
Max, I don't think this one is for you, but you could stop by and look it over. Pretend you're interested and you could check out the rear view and rear seats and whatnot. Maybe take it for a spin.

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/1999-Isuzu-VehiCROSS (http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1999-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-W0QQAdIdZ158606944)

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks so much. I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can go and take a look. It will put all my concerns to rest. Its some 10 minutes from my work. I have never seen one in person, will be neat.

You are right though, its not the one for me. Too rough looking.

Again, thanks

Max

Triathlete
12/14/2009, 08:07 PM
Max,
that first one in your post above looks super clean and the price looks pretty good.:yesy:

Riff Raff
12/14/2009, 08:22 PM
MAX--- Yes, please visit a VX "in person" so you can thoroughly check one out. Please verify the difficulty of getting in & out of the rear seat area and then actually sit in the rear seat and "pretend" you're a young curious child wanting to look out the side windows and see the world go by. You will quickly discover the "tunnel vision" syndrome of only being able to look forward out the front windshield. Any adult or child will quickly go crazy by this cacoon-type box encasement feeling (not good).

On another note, vintage FJ-40's are NOT "freeway-friendly" vehicles at all, and don't like any speeds above 60 MPH. They have a very short wheelbase and very stiff suspension with a upright seating position not suited for long freeway trips. The FJ-40 is best within its intended environment-- the extreme off-road, and has no equal in that regard. In addition, vintage FJ-40's in good condition command very high prices around the $25K (+/-) price point.

Again; not to discourage you, but based upon your requirements for a family-friendly, freeway-friendly, and rugged SUV desires. I still highly recommend a slightly used "Nissan X-Terra SE" or maybe even a nice sporty "BMW SUV model" (since you've owned BMW's before) would fit your needs much better than either a VX or FJ-40. Just my 2-cents.

mutimator
12/15/2009, 12:20 AM
Send me a message when you get into town max, I would be happy to show you my VX before you make your decision. I live on the west side of Phoenix.

VXR
12/15/2009, 12:48 AM
Please verify the difficulty of getting in & out of the rear seat area and then actually sit in the rear seat and "pretend" you're a young curious child wanting to look out the side windows and see the world go by. You will quickly discover the "tunnel vision" syndrome of only being able to look forward out the front windshield. Any adult or child will quickly go crazy by this cacoon-type box encasement feeling (not good).

I have to disagree my kid loves riding in the VX. I got it when he was about four so he could climb in and buckle himself. (I do agree if they are not old enough it would not be fun to get in back and buckle them in).

JAMAS
12/15/2009, 05:44 AM
From time to time, I put my Son in the back. He is about 4 months old and he rides in the little bucket clipped into the base (backwards). It is actually REALLY easy to load in and out using the back door. Leave one seat folded down and it slides right in. NOTE: don't leave the car running when loading through the back.

MSHardeman
12/15/2009, 08:36 AM
I wish Marlin would respond to this thread. In Moab this year he had two kids (granted they where a little older) in the back seat wheelin' all day. I didn't hear them complain and it sounds like they had a great time bac there.

Riff Raff
12/15/2009, 06:08 PM
I wish Marlin would respond to this thread. In Moab this year he had two kids (granted they where a little older) in the back seat wheelin' all day. I didn't hear them complain and it sounds like they had a great time bac there.

True; but some kids have nothing else to compare it to, so to them it's an awesome time eventhough they can't really see crap. If a little kid doesn't know any better or have anything to compare his experience to, then he'll think this is as good as it gets.

For Example-- If a kid had to sit in the backseat of say a 4-door Nissan X-Terra or 4-Door Isuzu Trooper with your very own personal roll-down side window, then I'm sure the off-road experience would be stupendous!!! Plus, when the truck stops, the kid can quickly let himself out and go chase a wild jack-rabbit on foot if he wants to.

Then; while at the base campsite, force that very same kid into the backseat of an encased VX "tunnel vision" cacoon and then go 4-wheeling again.

I'll betcha' that same kid will start whining to get the hell outa' the backseat of the VX, and beg to have his original spot back in the X-Terra or Trooper with his very own personal roll-down window!!! The kid is now imprisoned in the 2-door VX and can't quickly get out to chase the wild jack-rabbit without having to wait for the slow fat adult in the front seat to move outa' the way and let the kid get out (by then the wild jack-rabbit is long gone, and the kid has missed a playful opportunity due to the confines of the VX backseat).

The kid now has two totally different scenario's to compare with and I'm sure the backseat of the VX will not be his favorite in the future.:noo:

When asked to go 4-wheeling next time-- "Little Johnny, do you want to go 4-wheeling this weekend with Mommy & Daddy???" The kid will reply-- "Yes, but only if I get to ride in Uncle Joe's 4-door truck!!!" 'Nuff said.

samneil2000
12/15/2009, 06:47 PM
My DD is a Ford Escape. I have a 7 year old daughter. She has racked up lots of miles in the back seat of the Escape. She still likes to hop in the back of the VX and go riding, especially off road. It's a lot easier now that I have the seat brackets that move the passenger seat forward for easier access. I usually run the Escape back and forth to work during the week (35 miles one way) and use the VX for weekend running.

Triathlete
12/15/2009, 07:29 PM
Send me a message when you get into town max, I would be happy to show you my VX before you make your decision. I live on the west side of Phoenix.

Hmmmm! a couple more 'zonies to join in on some of my mis-adventures! :bwgy:

maxg765
12/15/2009, 08:58 PM
Hello All,

First off, thank you to ALL of you for the information and posts. It is a BIG help.

I want to clarify something. This would be my primary work vehicle and daily driver. I do have two young kids, a daughter of 3&1/2 and a son 9 months. I do not bring my kids to work with me. They would be in this car on the odd occasion (as I write this I have taken my daughter to school both days this week and Friday past). We have a Volvo Wagon regular family outings.

I would agree with both sides of the story. RIFF RAFF is correct in that if given a choice a child would prefer to explore the world. I made it a point to watch my daughter some during the drive to school today. Her kids song playing on the CD and always eyes out towards the window. "Eye Spy With My Little Eyes", has been played in the past. If that had been the VX from what I am being told that would be more difficult or null as an option.

That said, the drive to school is 10 to 15 mins. More so, kids in my car would be on few occasions. We are moving but should secure a home about the same distance as current from their new school and life should continue on the same trend. A outing to the ice cream store in a VX should always be fun as long as we are together.

I am sure when we all travel we either want the window seat to keep busy or isle seat t keep free but if no choice is available we'll still take the flight.

Riff Raff, I have to add, I really cannot stand the Nissan X-Terra or X-Trail. I should be liking the X-Terra in theory but I really don't care for it. Not sure why.

I do not off road but I would love to take a drive through the dessert in Arizona some.
Trucks/cars I would like to own are
The VX
Land Rover Defender 90
Land Rover Defender 110
Mercedes Benz 280GE G-Wagon (The original and preferably the conv)
Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 1979-1984

I like more rarer or vintage type vehicles.

Of the bunch up top, I am thinking that the VX might be the most usable since its the most modern of the bunch.

Yes I should be buying a Honda Accord or something along those lines but I want to enjoy what I drive and take pride in my Daily Driver so why get something I don't want to get into each day.

My current daily driver is a Subaru SVX. It was going to be my Mazda RX7 FD but I have decided to sell it as its really not practical as a daily driver or second car. For sure no kids in that two seater.

So again, thank you to all,

I will certainly keep you all posted on the progress. I called the number on the Montreal add to go and check out that local one thats for sale. Left a message this afternoon but no return call as of yet.

Best regards,

Max

Riff Raff
12/15/2009, 10:38 PM
Hi MAX--- Thanx for your feedback. The VX is a wonderful vehicle as long as you understand its shortcomings. The VX is way more freeway-friendly than the stubby, teeth-jarring FJ-40.

How scary it is to hear of your tastes in vehicles as they almost perfectly imulate mine!!! I was the original owner of a limited edition #127/300 LR 1997 Defender-90 years ago before purchasing my VX. The Defender-90 is just as tough as the FJ-40, but with a different kinda' flair. I sold the Defender-90 because it didn't have the creature comforts I expected from a $50K truck, and it drank gas like kool-aid (the gas gauge needle would go to the left as the speedometer needle would go to the right -- no joke). I used the Defender-90 money for a very substantial down payent on a house.

I've never liked 4-door vehicles of any kind, but I'm somewhat impressed with the Nissan X-Terra as it has won numerous 4-wheeling magazine awards and has been named 4-Wheeler of the Year many times by various off-road magazines. For a more street-version SUV, I really like the BMW line of SUV's but can't imagine ever taking a BMW off-road.

Incidentally, the VX was "1st Runner-Up (second place)" as 4-Wheeler of the Year in 2000. I first fell in love with the VX at the International Auto Show in 1997 (Seattle, WA) as a "concept" vehicle, the same exact Auto Show that I purchased my 1997 Limited Edition Defender-90. Later; when the VX was finally put into production, I knew someday I would own one.

My next off-road vehicle will either be the Chinese Hummer HX/H4 "Concept" OR the Ford Bronco "Retro Concept" if they ever build them. Both of which are 2-door vehicles. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with my FJ-40 and VX.

Please keep us posted; and our very best wishes to you, Max.:bgwb:

VXR
12/16/2009, 02:51 AM
True; but some kids have nothing else to compare it to, so to them it's an awesome time eventhough they can't really see crap. If a little kid doesn't know any better or have anything to compare his experience to, then he'll think this is as good as it gets.

For Example-- If a kid had to sit in the backseat of say a 4-door Nissan X-Terra or 4-Door Isuzu Trooper with your very own personal roll-down side window, then I'm sure the off-road experience would be stupendous!!! Plus, when the truck stops, the kid can quickly let himself out and go chase a wild jack-rabbit on foot if he wants to.

Then; while at the base campsite, force that very same kid into the backseat of an encased VX "tunnel vision" cacoon and then go 4-wheeling again.

I'll betcha' that same kid will start whining to get the hell outa' the backseat of the VX, and beg to have his original spot back in the X-Terra or Trooper with his very own personal roll-down window!!! The kid is now imprisoned in the 2-door VX and can't quickly get out to chase the wild jack-rabbit without having to wait for the slow fat adult in the front seat to move outa' the way and let the kid get out (by then the wild jack-rabbit is long gone, and the kid has missed a playful opportunity due to the confines of the VX backseat).

The kid now has two totally different scenario's to compare with and I'm sure the backseat of the VX will not be his favorite in the future.:noo:

When asked to go 4-wheeling next time-- "Little Johnny, do you want to go 4-wheeling this weekend with Mommy & Daddy???" The kid will reply-- "Yes, but only if I get to ride in Uncle Joe's 4-door truck!!!" 'Nuff said.

do you have kids???

Ldub
12/16/2009, 03:07 AM
do you have kids???

:smilewink...He once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...:yesgray:

VXR
12/16/2009, 03:39 AM
:smilewink...He once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...:yesgray:

I heard you were there too:bgwb:

Ldub
12/16/2009, 03:41 AM
I heard you were there too:bgwb:

Yeah, but not the same night...:uhohgray:

VXR
12/16/2009, 03:45 AM
same room...

Ldub
12/16/2009, 03:59 AM
same room...

I ain't exacly a geography whiz, but I believe Seattle is a LOT closer to Tacoma than Fargo...:slap:

VXR
12/16/2009, 04:13 AM
I ain't exacly a geography whiz, but I believe Seattle is a LOT closer to Tacoma than Fargo...:slap:

i have to agree there but what is the flying air speed of a passenger pigeon???

Ldub
12/16/2009, 04:33 AM
i have to agree there but what is the flying air speed of a passenger pigeon???

:rolleyesg Threadjack over :rolleyesg

maxg765
12/16/2009, 05:43 PM
Hi MAX--- Thanx for your feedback. The VX is a wonderful vehicle as long as you understand its shortcomings. The VX is way more freeway-friendly than the stubby, teeth-jarring FJ-40.

How scary it is to hear of your tastes in vehicles as they almost perfectly imulate mine!!!
My next off-road vehicle will either be the Chinese Hummer HX/H4 "Concept" OR the Ford Bronco "Retro Concept" if they ever build them. Both of which are 2-door vehicles. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with my FJ-40 and VX.

Please keep us posted; and our very best wishes to you, Max.:bgwb:

Hi Riff Raff

Very scary your taste in trucks. I love the H4/HX and Bronco concepts and would prob get one of those if either released.

I will keep you all posted on what happens...

Best regards

Max