PDA

View Full Version : Help, problem from a new owner!

GirlLikeThat80
08/09/2003, 09:13 PM
I've had my '99 VX for a few months now and today I ran into a problem. The top button of my remote, which usually locks and unlocks the doors, isn't working. I think I might have disabled the alarm but I'm not sure. Also, the red light (after reading the manual I think it's the LCD) is continuously red in the car. I've read the manual but I can't find anything about the remote not working at all or the red light being on. When I hit the top button, a little red light on the remote lights up but that's it. If anybody could help me out please respond here or email me. Thank you in advance!

Hotsauce
08/09/2003, 09:34 PM
Did you try a new battery? It may have enough power to light the light,but not send a signal. The VX originally came with 2 remotes. Did you try the other one?

John C.

GirlLikeThat80
08/09/2003, 09:45 PM
I also thought it might be the battery but both of the remotes do the same thing. I have to manually lock and unlock the doors.

kpaske
08/09/2003, 11:41 PM
A solid red light usually indicates valet mode. I don't recall for sure if it works with the stock keyless entry system for the VX, but most aftermarket alarm systems can be put into (and taken out of) valet by opening any door, then pressing Lock-Unlock-Lock in succession. It's worth a try... ;Db;

VehiX
08/10/2003, 04:34 AM
Disconnect the negative battery cable from your batery then re-connect it.

Watch out for the alarm when you hook it back up ;)

Daver
08/10/2003, 05:17 AM
It's not valet mode. Valet mode will flash the LED quickly when you turn the key. My Clifford alarm had its LED solid when in valet mode though...

The red LED in the car being lit continuously isn't one of the standard modes that the Security System manual lists.

First I'd try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery as VehiX suggested. That'll might get the alarm back to a sane state.

If that doesn't work, the alarm might be hosed. The Security System manual seems to indicate that the remote should always lock/unlock the doors, and that's part of the procedure for changing the alarm mode.

Do you have the "Isuzu Keyless Vehicle Security System" manual?

-Dave

Moncha
08/10/2003, 06:01 AM
If you don't have a manual,, try this (http://www.vehicross.info/download.php?op=getit&lid=9) . You'll need Acrobat Reader.

Daver
08/10/2003, 06:10 AM
I knew that manual was available somewhere...

Another thing to check that just occurred to me is the alarm box itself. Make sure all of the wire harnesses to the box are plugged in securely. The solid red LED might be a failure mode to indicate that it knows there is something wrong with itself. Might be as simple as one of the harnesses coming loose.

The alarm box is under the dash on the drivers side. On the door side of the steering column, not the center console side. I don't have a better way to describe it, maybe someone else does...

-Daver

GirlLikeThat80
08/10/2003, 08:02 PM
I do have the "Isuzu Keyless Vehicle Security System" manual but I don't see anything in there about the continuous red light. I'll try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery idea that was suggested. I'll report what happens. Thanks for al the help.

Joe_Black
08/10/2003, 09:22 PM
Be sure to leave the battery disconnected for at least 15 minutes. Just disconnect the negative (black) terminal.

Moncha
08/10/2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I knew that manual was available somewhere...

Another thing to check that just occurred to me is the alarm box itself. Make sure all of the wire harnesses to the box are plugged in securely. The solid red LED might be a failure mode to indicate that it knows there is something wrong with itself. Might be as simple as one of the harnesses coming loose.

The alarm box is under the dash on the drivers side. On the door side of the steering column, not the center console side. I don't have a better way to describe it, maybe someone else does...

-Daver

It's a tight fit.. That's the best I have:looky:

When mine had 2 failures of the same sort, a quick minute or so of battery disconnect cured mine.. I then later blew the guts out of the thing and replaced it with a Viper Alarm.

Dallas4u
08/11/2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Be sure to leave the battery disconnected for at least 15 minutes. Just disconnect the negative (black) terminal.

I thought it was only something like 15 seconds??

By the way, has anyone installed a switch between the battery and the computer only, so resetting the comp doesn't include having to reset the radio as well? I hate having to reprogram all of the settings on my headunit... there's just too damn many!

VehiX
08/11/2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black

This is not necessary, just disconnect then re-connect after no more then a min. and it will work fine.

And, this IS all you need to do to resolve this issue, TRUST ME. Just watch out for the horn when you hook it back up ;eeko;

Daver
08/12/2003, 05:17 AM
Eh. I have so much practice resetting all of my headunit settings I could do it in my sleep. :) It's a Kenwood z828 too, so I have to set the Q for AUX, Tuner, and CD, and all the menu stuff.

My empeg OTOH, forgets nothing. Ah, technology.

-Dave

GirlLikeThat80
08/12/2003, 07:53 PM
Disconnecting the battery did the trick! Thanks for all of the help!