PDA

View Full Version : Uwharrie in October

Joe_Black
08/09/2003, 08:04 PM
The folks over at PlanetIsuzoo are doing their Isuzu run at Uwharrie, North Carolina the weekend of October 11th and we're all invited. I'm already making plans for this awesome trail run in a beautiful part of the country, just in time to see the trees change too! If there are any Florida/Georgia folk who want to convoy up please let me know.

I'll post additional info as I recieve it from PlanetIsuzoo.

Heraclid
08/10/2003, 03:31 PM
Wow, so close... we were thinking we may be up there in that neck of the woods the following weekend in October on our first year anniversary, but it's still not definite and we may opt for something closer to home so we're not spending half the time driving.

Amanda is from the Canton, OH area and we used to make that I-95 to I-26 to I-77 run (passes through Charlotte) pretty regularly. Looks like Uwharrie is not far off that track. And although we haven't been there in quite a while now, we are planning to go up that way (en route to Ohio) around Labor Day, too.

We'll see... it's probably not looking good for me, but don't count me out just yet either. I have two more vacation days I can take. :-)

Joe_Black
08/10/2003, 06:09 PM
Kathy can't make it that weekend as Biketoberfest is the following weekend, so this will be a solo trip for me. The terrain is awesome as is the scenery. Here's the TRAIL REPORT (http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/89) from a rally last year the PlanetIsuzoo folk did. I spoke with Frank the other day and he's headed up Wednesday to that area for a trip and we were just talking about putting something together before I found out about the October event. Currently I plan on driving up early Friday and returning Monday. So maybe we can all share a campsite or something. The weather should be pretty comfortable for camping too.

johnnyapollo
08/10/2003, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking about it... wont know for sure until it gets a little closer, though...

-- John

skullcap
08/12/2003, 03:40 AM
I'm seriously considering it, it looks like fun and I need to get in some muddin' one of these days.

If my travel schedule doesn't conflict, figure on my being there.

I'd love a reunion of the Black Rock gang, it was great cameraderie and fun.

Joe_Black
08/12/2003, 05:20 AM
That'd be awesome! Hopefully some of the newer Florida folk will journey up with me as well. That's Columbus Day weekend, so I get a freebie day on Monday. Anyway, I am DEFINITELY there!

Jonnie
08/12/2003, 06:53 PM
Er? Ah? What? Me?

I was planning to go to Daytona this weekend, but a friend's death has precluded that.

Maybe I can make this adventure.

Jonathan

Joe_Black
08/12/2003, 07:39 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your friend.:( There is another beach social on the weekend of September 13th also in Daytona. Plus feel free to call your own get-together in your area, I know I'd make an effort to attend!

Heraclid
08/13/2003, 02:09 PM
My condolences to you on the loss of your friend, Jonnie. :-(

Jonnie
08/13/2003, 03:43 PM
I've known him on and off about 10 years, a business owner in St. Pete. Survived a heart attach about 5 years ago, but he died of a blood clot in his brain. Got a headache, passed out, went into a comma, and died. Left behind a wife, 2 young kids, and a lot of friends. It happened last week, the service is on this Sat.

Jonathan

skullcap
08/13/2003, 06:12 PM
"May gods stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk."

- ancient Egyptian blessing

carlymac
08/26/2003, 08:35 AM
As Joe_Black and skully know I'd most likely get lost...probably somewhere in the most backward part of the mountains. And after the Black Rock Mtn. meet I feel real uncomfortable stopping for directions at a gas station that sells headcheese sandwiches and the clerks eyes are too close together... I know, I know your saying "He's from Tennessee..he should be use to those people" WELL I AIN"T... they scare me, not as bad as midgets!, but scare me none the less....

Sorry, my therapist said those outbursts will go away with time.

Anyway Joe or skully you both are good with directions. Where is this Uwharrie? And Is it a town or forrest or what? and abouot how far is it from Nashville? I would love to make the meet but every penny I could spare went into the house. Maybe if its possible I could day trip it? yes, no let me know...carlmac;Db;

Joe_Black
08/26/2003, 12:42 PM
Hey you! Check the link for the Uwharrie on the "EVENTS" banner, I've updated it with a map. If it doesn't help let me know and I'll make one JUST FOR YOU! LOL! Anything to get ya over there for the run!

JasonDearing
08/26/2003, 02:07 PM
As this is my first post to this board (Thanks for letting me know, Hercalid!), I guess I should say Hi! I've got a Black '99 with the Suspension Lift (currently not on), and a cone filter (also not on right now). I've also got an Empeg MP3 player in the dash, and a Tux Penguin on the back window.

I went with the PlanetIsuzoo crowd 2 years ago, and we had a blast! The trails are lots of fun, and you can really get some good rock crawling in, unlike the other Florida trips I went on with the planet bunch. Ocala is fun, but there's just sand & mud, no real rocks per se...
I'm hoping the wife and I can make it Uwharrie this year, and maybe even to the Daytona meet on 9/13, if the movers don't show up that day. Right now, I'm in Springfield, MO, but I'm moving back to Jax, FL in 2 weeks...
Great to be here!
Jason

Heraclid
08/26/2003, 03:59 PM
Hey Jason, welcome aboard! I think you're gonna love this group. Even if you have a lot more technical know-how than someone like myself, you can gain a lot from this place.

Hey, you ever go to the movies at the Regal Cinema on Philips Hwy? Come to think of it I may have seen an Ebony there once upon a time. Can't be that many of us cruising Jax. There is a guy with an Ironman who works right by St. Luke's, and a young lady with an astral who works next door to the Hooter's at San Jose/Baymeadows. I chatted with her but as far as I know never checked out this website. Haven't met the guy with the Ironman yet. And there used to be an astral that I'd see running up and down Old St. Augustine Rd. with four glittery-looking girlie stickers saying "spoiled brat" and "princess" on the rear cladding.

You guys are making me really want to do Uwharrie, but I just don't see it happening this year. Maybe that's a good thing though, as I have no lift, no skidplates, and no previous rock-crawling experience. I did Ocala in June and half of us there shorted out our alternators, the culprit being improperly sealed voltage regulators, we think. Check out Joe_Black's galleries for some of the Ocala and Daytona pics.

That's kinda neat that your VX is number 1234. :-)

Hey carlymac, that's nuthin'... try visiting Marmet, WV sometime (I-77 corridor). Wait long enough and I guarantee you you'll hear dueling banjos. :-) I get to do it this coming weekend, but the Charleston, WV (going right through there) gas station shooter makes me a little nervous... so far as I know he's still on the loose.

skullcap
08/26/2003, 09:22 PM
Carlymac,

This comes from pure memory, but I think a simple trek east along I-40 should bring you pretty close to Uwharrie.

From there, I think the National Forest is located between the Queen City (Charlotte) and the Capitol City (Raleigh) somewhere south of the Winston/Salem/Greensboro area.

Actually, I think the forest is not to far south of Lowes Motor Speedway at Concord. Hmm, I wonder if we can go multi-modal on our outing?

Any Floridians or Jawga folks care to rendezvous en route north?

As soon as I get back from up here in Lake Placid (sans VX :( ) I'll start laying-in a course.

Joe_Black
08/27/2003, 05:20 AM
You can pencil me in on the convoy! I'm trying to get the FL crew together for the run, so hope for a long line of the VX Kaleidescope!

JasonDearing
08/27/2003, 01:10 PM
Ok, I have a confession. My VIN isn't really 1234, I just put that in until I can get another look at the real number. I'll have it updated tonight...
So, you all went through a lot of water at Ocala, huh? Bummer about the alternators, but a good excuse to upgrade to the 180 Amp version, I guess :).
You really don't need anything special to go to Uwharrie. There are a lot of bone-stock trucks out there that have a great time. I think I went with the lift to show it off, more than getting any real use out of it.
There's a small chance I can make the Daytona trip on the 13th, depending on the movers' schedule, but even if not, we should get together. Anyone else in North Florida?

And if there's a convoy going to Uwharrie, count me in, too!

E-ZooZoo One
09/12/2003, 09:29 AM
Hello all!

Smiley here…
(Yes, it’s that E-ZooZoo guy… the one with the big mouth, and the prolific typing tendencies to match)

I hope you don’t mind an interloping Rodeo owner jumping into the conversation, but I thought I’d pass along some helpful information on the upcoming October Uwharrie gathering…

First of all, for those who want good directions, here's the link to a
Zoom-in/Zoom-out Map of Uwharrie (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?size=big&mapdata=3Y5TK1Lw1y%2fYQsQI0XYaYOheNvozxwINNprItxJ9 PXojsLHUUaLksKNdMEfOogEVPVZ5aAaU%2f%2flNf9tgxcj1ky NFcLNfnPc56UGEQpN4p4YW%2fIutITJXYT6W1AaoVr%2b9Y9RL 5YG6%2bto1eRivzLuwVPkpJFa1ySsKKPeVOvjat2EmV4sYH45d KRTxhUg7E6lRJqawG3MBx1%2fapQWCzObOo8HHMC5Ak3MGIPN% 2b6JvwFlT8i3YyfnY80wiUUaD%2flHhJtx4pYPNjhUruneYa%2 f6baSgqyZpzGPEmQqA1ek0nFI9xK%2bzNQG53dBCY1%2fBBzIb Vd3NqcAU8nDUnWyRd35o%2f4KWbIbSGLp%2fCt7mYd4pH0mKXg usjp8obiRKck4XHTR10aobH7hsIwSAjFFr6FJTbDRw%3d%3d).

Once you get close, this should help you make it to the campground...

http://bombasticfx.com/UNF-Map-1.JPG

...however, if you do have any trouble finding the place, the friendly folks at the Eldorado Outpost will be glad to help.

--- BTW, carlymac… As far as I am aware, there are no Dueling Banjo Fests planned for the weekend in question, and personally, I’ve never seen any midgets in the area… but then again, you never know. :p

For general Uwharrie information, more maps, and the link for making camping reservations, CHICK HERE (http://pub99.ezboard.com/fezoozootheisuzu4x4ownersclubfrm21.showMessage?top icID=4.topic).
--- This page should answer pretty much all of the questions you might have about the event.

If anyone has any questions that are not covered within the above link, please feel free to contact me… I’d be glad to help.

I plan to arrive somewhere between noon and 2PM on Thursday the 9th, so if there are any early arrivals, just look for the big, ugly, white Rodeo, and you're there!

Really looking forward to seeing multiple VXs this time!

Heraclid
09/28/2003, 10:16 PM
Okay, in that last post we got a quote about knocking bra straps off, and it says "CHICK HERE", not "CLICK..."

Someone's got females on the brain. :-)

skullcap
09/29/2003, 09:14 AM
I've a few North Carolina Highway Maps for the first few of you-uns who send your address to skullcapga@yahoo.com :rotate: