PDA

View Full Version : VX'er in Space!!!

JoFotoz
12/09/2009, 04:45 PM
Some of you know that my wife Lina is a founding member , and future astronaut with Virgin Galactic.

I've had several PM's etc asking 'whats up' with that...when does she fly....WTF!!

So I thought I'd start a wee thread for those of you interested , and bring you up to date on whats going on.

This all started for Lina and I after the highly successful 'X-Prize' space flights
accomplished by Burt Rutan and his team at Scaled Composites , based in the Mojave Desert
back in 2004.

http://space.xprize.org/ansari-x-prize

I had followed the exploits of Burt Rutan and his brother Dick through many adventures over the years, including the record breaking non-stop flight around the world, and have been a longtime fan of Richard Bransons exploits on land and sea, and of course in the air!
The winning of the X-Prize , and the subsequent involvement of Sir Richard Branson and
the Virgin Galactic team suddenly made the lifelong dream Lina has had of going into space
a reality..both financially (OUCH...I'll explain later!) , logistically and safety wise!

So , without telling Lina , I wrote an e-mail to Richard , expressing interest and telling him a bit about Lina and her dream.

A month or so later we got a phone call from the UK at 3:00 AM in the morning asking
if we could meet with a Virgin Galactic team member in Los Angeles in a couple of days!

Of course we could...and so we did!

The "plan" that Virgin Galactic presented was very much in its infancy , and very fluid.
Commercial space flight was they admitted, a whole new ball game , and a learning process for all ...including them!

About 3 hours later ,after lots of questions from both sides , we were hooked!

So , we wrote out a check for $200,000 and Lina became one of the earliest founder members of Virgin Galactic ...
... one of the first women to sign up...
...and potentially a passenger on the first ever commercial space flight.

( OK..the $200,000 dollar question....no we are not rich !
Despite many years of diligent practice (!) , and eventually two sessions of IVF , we have come to terms with the fact that we wont have kids. This obviously leaves us without the burden of College or University tuition etc..or the ongoing cost of raising a brood !
So without those 'constraints' , in order to make this happen we took out an equity loan on our house , equity that would of otherwise been needed
for a family.
Bottom line...I was lucky enough to live one of my dreams , by sailing around the world...
...it was time for Lina to live one of hers.)

I wont bore you with details from 2004 to now...suffice to say , Virgin Galactic have been AMAZING both in terms of their commitment to make this Dream a reality , and the way they have kept us informed and INVOLVED every step of the way.

The "Spaceport" is well under way in New Mexico , and initial air drop testing of the Space Ship will commence at the Mojave site very soon.
Richard and Burt Rutan continue to place a HUGE emphasis on both safety and low environmental impact.

Go here for all the info,history and pics!

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

(Lina is at 5.06 on the video!)

I write this now because I'm still REALLY exited....

Lina and I just came back yesterday from the Mojave desert where we attended the unveiling of VSS ENTERPRISE ..
.... the first truly commercial , private Space Ship in the world!!

No dates are set in stone yet , as both the FAA and Virgin have much testing and negotiations to do!

But I reckon somewhere in mid or late 2011...

...I get to sleep with a real life "Space cadet" :dance:

jo

JoFotoz
12/09/2009, 05:01 PM
"VSS ENTERPRISE" and Mother Ship "EVE"

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VSS_ENTERPRISE_Mother_ship_EVE.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16371)

Space ship sits slung beneath middle of double cabin "tandem" mother ship.

jo

Marlin
12/09/2009, 05:19 PM
Awesome!!

ZEUS
12/09/2009, 06:00 PM
WOW! That would be so freakin cool! The ship(s) design is really wild. CONGRATS TO LINA!!!

cyronman
12/09/2009, 06:01 PM
Jo,

we'll have to get the pub girls to do a calendar with THAT thing!
Just kidding.....................kind of.

GO LINA!!!

Triathlete
12/09/2009, 07:30 PM
Should make Moab kind of lame in comparison!

don moore
12/09/2009, 07:51 PM
thank JOE ive been keeping up to date with the whole thing ..I just wanted to get some inside info.. I so happy for her ..she a brave and lucky girl...I would like a pic with a autograph.. is that wierd...im wierd.. hot babe is space.. she puts all the rest to shame ..

THX Don

lasturbo
12/10/2009, 12:12 AM
Congrats Lina!! Way to chase your dream. At least I can say I know someone on this historic mission!! Reach for the stars girl!!

crotchrocket
12/10/2009, 02:30 AM
WOW what a story!! and an amazing thing to be a part of! I hope everything continies to go to plan, best of luck with everything to the both of you!!

samneil2000
12/10/2009, 05:43 AM
All I can say is wow!

tomdietrying
12/10/2009, 05:56 AM
Go Lina, Go Jo!!!!!!!!!!
That's fantastic!!!!!!
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I'd like an autogragh too!:bwgy:

handeeman
12/10/2009, 06:23 AM
That is totally awesome.....I've tried to keep up with this project and everything in the news...but to have an insider is fantastic. Thanks for the thread. oh and goooooo Lina you rock girl (or should I say you rocket.)

Ldub
12/10/2009, 06:24 AM
thank JOE ive been keeping up to date with the whole thing ..I just wanted to get some inside info.. I so happy for her ..she a brave and lucky girl...I would like a pic with a autograph.. is that wierd...im wierd.. hot babe is space.. she puts all the rest to shame ..

THX Don

Congrats Lina!! Way to chase your dream. At least I can say I know someone on this historic mission!! Reach for the stars girl!!

WOW what a story!! and an amazing thing to be a part of! I hope everything continies to go to plan, best of luck with everything to the both of you!!

All I can say is wow!

Go Lina, Go Jo!!!!!!!!!!
That's fantastic!!!!!!
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I'd like an autogragh too!:bwgy:

Yah...what them guys said...:yesgray:

I hope I get to meet Lina in Moab, so I can say "I knew her when"...:smilewink

WormGod
12/10/2009, 07:42 AM
Female pilots rule!

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2970/489400-aliensferro_large.jpg

"We're in the pipe, five by five."

VX KAT
12/10/2009, 08:01 AM
I'm speechless, WOW!! How fantastic is this!!

MSHardeman
12/10/2009, 08:05 AM
Jo, this is an excellent story. Much props to both you and Lina.....way to go.:dance:

Will we get to meet the "space cadet" and ViXen this year in Moab?

nfpgasmask
12/10/2009, 09:50 AM
DUDE! That's crazy! And awesome!!! Keep us posted.

Bart

Scott Harness
12/10/2009, 10:06 AM
Yah...what them guys said...:yesgray:

I hope I get to meet Lina in Moab, so I can say "I knew her when"...:smilewink

Same here!! GO LINA...GO JO!

Knigh7s
12/10/2009, 02:26 PM
WOW! That is amazingly cool! I've kept tabs on the VG, but it is even sweeter knowing that a fellow VXer is part of the whole deal!

I'm with Don, I want an autographed picture too! LMAO!!!

Travelin2
12/10/2009, 02:57 PM
WOW...jo that is so wild. My hats off to you for being so unselfish to make it happen for Lina. Please keep us apprised of things in the coming months so we can be excited too.

John

Moncha
12/10/2009, 05:39 PM
This is so cool! I'm always amazed at the diversity we have within this little community.
This story ranks up there with the top of them as that would be just fricken cool!
I'd gladly give up both nutz to be able to do that!! I've never coveted anything, but this, I could covet! Keep us in the know, please.

handeeman
12/11/2009, 11:43 AM
This is so cool! I'm always amazed at the diversity we have within this little community.
This story ranks up there with the top of them as that would be just fricken cool!
I'd gladly give up both nutz to be able to do that!! I've never coveted anything, but this, I could covet! Keep us in the know, please.

I agree completely...this is just a fantastic happening.
I can't believe you'd give up Ldub and Tom4Bren tho.:smilewink

VX KAT
12/11/2009, 12:00 PM
I'd gladly give up both nutz to be able to do that!!

ROFLMAO!!:laugho::laugho::laugho::laugho: Think that's your best one yet Handee!:thumbup:

ZEUS
12/11/2009, 12:56 PM
That WAS pretty slick - you have to be messed up in the head to think of something that clever, handee! I LUVS IT!

handeeman
12/12/2009, 08:13 AM
I woke up at 3a.m. this morning thinking of how could "The Boss" even think of giving up both nutz (dub and T4B) for a chance to go into space?
Then it hit me.....he would still have me.
I guess that's why he's still the Boss.

Scott Harness
12/12/2009, 08:40 AM

LOL FUNNY!!...applause!!

VX KAT
12/12/2009, 09:56 AM
I woke up at 3a.m. this morning thinking of how could "The Boss" even think of giving up both nutz (dub and T4B) for a chance to go into space?
Then it hit me.....he would still have me.
I guess that's why he's still the Boss. yeah, you're right! guess the Boss needs 3 nutz..:goof::disturbed oh no, that's not a good mental image, sorry guys, my bad!

VXIRONwoMAN
12/12/2009, 11:27 AM
That is so cool! I am so happy and excited for you both! I can't wait to hear the stories after she goes up! What an experience!

VXR
12/12/2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/11331999_in_2001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4664)

tom4bren
12/14/2009, 07:28 AM

I'm sure I speak for Ldub as well:

I have no response to that.

Handee ... Son ... now I am gonna hafta come down there and learn you some manners.

tom4bren
12/14/2009, 07:30 AM
ROFLMAO!!:laugho::laugho::laugho::laugho: Think that's your best one yet Handee!:thumbup:

KAT ... thought you had my back????:)

BTW Jo & Lina - Grats. That's awsome.

VX KAT
12/14/2009, 07:39 AM
KAT ... thought you had my back????:)

Oops, my bad!!..:mbrasd:.but dang that boy is funny, in a disturbed kind of way.....:disturbed

Ldub
12/14/2009, 07:50 AM
I'm sure I speak for Ldub as well:

I have no response to that.

Handee ... Son ... now I am gonna hafta come down there and learn you some manners.

Dude...seriously...:rolleyesg

You've gotta consider the source, then just let it go...:laughing:

It was pretty funny though...

tom4bren
12/14/2009, 08:19 AM
Dude...seriously...:rolleyesg

You've gotta consider the source, then just let it go...:laughing:

It was pretty funny though...

SSHHH!!! True ... but don't tell Handee.

Moncha
12/14/2009, 12:25 PM
He prolly heard me laughing from Colorado!! And you're right Kat, that did leave a very strange mental image!! Now, the problem is every time I look down, I see.......... aw never mind! Somethings are best left unsaid!

Ldub
12/14/2009, 12:44 PM
He prolly heard me laughing from Colorado!! And you're right Kat, that did leave a very strange mental image!! Now, the problem is every time I look down, I see.......... aw never mind! Somethings are best left unsaid!

:thanx:

tom4bren
12/14/2009, 12:48 PM

Now there's a mental image I didn't need!!!!!

ZEUS
12/14/2009, 12:51 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So many great things to say... I shall follow Scott's lead tho and leave them unsaid... this time!

tom4bren
12/14/2009, 01:22 PM
Bless your little heart. My mind is still numb from the dancin naner video.

ZEUS
12/14/2009, 01:58 PM
Again, and the difference is....? ;)

JAMAS
12/15/2009, 05:56 AM
I just read an article this morning about this in Popular Science magazine.

tom4bren
12/15/2009, 07:19 AM
I just read an article this morning about this in Popular Science magazine.

Comercial Space Flight or people checking their nutz???

JAMAS
12/15/2009, 07:26 AM
Comercial Space Flight or people checking their nutz???

Can't it be both?

tom4bren
12/15/2009, 07:31 AM
Can't it be both?

I can't say it. I won't say it. I MUST say it.

You should write car ads.

BWAAHAAHAA!!!