PDA

View Full Version : PC to HDTV ???'s

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 10:24 AM
So yesterday I bought a Mitsu 60" 1080p DLP TV! :) The big problem appeared when I tried last night to hook it up to my PC. My monitor was hooked up to the video card with a DVI cable. The motherboard manual tells me that I cannot have dual screens if I want to use one monitor with DVI and the other with HDMI. I went into the BIOS and changed the setting to allow a VGA connection (instead of the DVI) and an HDMI connection in unison. It starts to boot and then gives me an error message saying "POST ERROR!" :upsetgray Then it wants to boot from the last successful configuration. Anyone know what I need to do to get both screens to work? I would rather not have to get a DVI to HDMI cable since I would lose the benefit of HDMI audio. Gurus?

JAMAS
12/08/2009, 11:05 AM
are you trying to have shared screens, or cloned screens?

ie: do you want to see 2 different things or the same thing on both screens?

if you are okay with the same thing on both screens....

buy this
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-Premium-Cable/dp/B000FMJLQC

and this
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-PCM-2296-06-Single-Cable/dp/B0007MWE1E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260299995&sr=1-4

also....do you have a video card, or is it onboard video?

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 11:07 AM
I would like to clone. The TV and monitor should have the same image.

JAMAS
12/08/2009, 11:10 AM
I kept editing that first post after I would think of something else.

I don't know which update you last saw. Hopefully that cheap MacGyver solution will work.

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 11:44 AM
My monitor has 2 single VGA and DVI outputs only.
My TV has 3 HDMI inputs.
My video card has 2 DVI outputs only - Like I said, I have been using this for my monitor.
My motherboard has 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and one HDMI - plus audio spots.

The DVI and HDMI cannot function together according to the motherboard manual, although that would be ideal for both screens. That has proven correct too. :( I tried hooking up both screens to the motherboard VGA and HDMI ports but it won't complete the boot! Like I was saying, I don't want to have to use the DVI-to-HDMI cable because I would lose digital audio and the HDMI quality to my TV - besides I shouldn't have to. The HDMI splitter you linked to splits the signal strength in half so one screen would maybe work, but not both of them. On top of that, I would have to purchase an HDMI-to-DVI cable for my monitor if it did work. Also, like I mentioned I have seen both screens fire up with the same image so I know I am connected ok but something in the software is fritzin on me during start-up.
are you trying to have shared screens, or cloned screens?

ie: do you want to see 2 different things or the same thing on both screens?

if you are okay with the same thing on both screens....

buy this
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-Premium-Cable/dp/B000FMJLQC

and this
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-PCM-2296-06-Single-Cable/dp/B0007MWE1E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260299995&sr=1-4

also....do you have a video card, or is it onboard video?

JAMAS
12/08/2009, 12:00 PM
Like I was saying....purchase those two items

Like I was saying.....it should be a cheap MacGyver solution to make it work

:):):):):):):):):):):)

send the video out of the hdmi in your motherboard.

then into the hdmi splitter

then connect one port of the splitter to the tv

then connect the other port of the splitter to the hdmi to dvi cable

then connect the dvi cable to your monitor

Like I was saying, this should work;)

JAMAS
12/08/2009, 12:02 PM
Another solution is a new video card that offers both hdmi and dvi outputs

motherboard video is usually half crappy anyway.

....this may prove to be the best quality solution, but I am not sure of your budget.

I really hope this helps.

JAMAS
12/08/2009, 12:05 PM
The HDMI splitter you linked to splits the signal strength in half so one screen would maybe work, but not both of them.

Perhaps a better model may work. I just did a VERY quick search.

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 12:57 PM
Like I said, thanks for the effort! ;) I think I just tracked down the issue to the motherboard having some software issues regarding the VGA card display order - I won't know if this is the issue until I get home tho and update the drivers, BIOS, and whatnot. Like I was saying, ;Do; I think it's a software issue so I don't like any of your solutions :p except for the new video card idea... I am going to go that route at some point anyway, so that I can use the 3D glasses emitter my TV is setup for, which is why I chose this style TV. Right now my PC has a decent video card meant for 3D drafting.... I want to upgrade it into more of a HTPC.

I really do appreciate your posts... like I said! :yeso:

Like I was saying....purchase those two items

Like I was saying.....it should be a cheap MacGyver solution to make it work

:):):):):):):):):):):)

send the video out of the hdmi in your motherboard.

then into the hdmi splitter

then connect one port of the splitter to the tv

then connect the other port of the splitter to the hdmi to dvi cable

then connect the dvi cable to your monitor

Like I was saying, this should work;)

JAMAS
12/08/2009, 01:07 PM
Hold out for this....

http://gizmodo.com/5421136/first-shots-of-boxee-box

nfpgasmask
12/08/2009, 01:15 PM
What are you trying to do, Justin?

I have a PC hooked up to my Bravia via the VGA input on the back. If your PC has a video card that does cloning, than you should be able to see the same picture on both screens. The problem you are encountering sounds to me like a limitation of the card. Meaning, perhaps cloning only supports the same type of output, meaning, 2 VGA screens or two DVI screens but not one VGA and one DVI, etc.

I use dual monitors all the time, but I prefer to accomplish this with 2 video cards. Call me if you need to discuss.

Bart

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to spend a lot of money, evidently! :) My TV is 3D ready and I LOVE 3D content and that's why I bought it - I have room for the 73" but the 60" was on sale for $800 at Best Buy.com! The thing is, I need to buy a 3D capable video card ($$$), and the 3D glasses emitter kit ($200) - if I use the Nvidia 3D setup it sounds like I can even view one thing at the same time someone else is watching something else because of the alternating shutter lenses. Shutter glasses operate at 120hz so everything has to be capable of handling that. PC games are then made steroscopic because they are 3D to begin with, there just hasn't been a way to use two 'cameras' until recently. Basically, I want to be able to view whatever is available in 3D... especially games and movies like Avatar. I know I will also most likely have to increase my memory to handle that too.

Until I can afford to buy all that stuff tho, I simply just want to be able to hook up my TV to my PC so I can watch movies and play lesser games from my couch. Right now, I really don't think it is a hardware problem, I think it's software. Like I said, :p both screens show the same image until the boot is cancelled by the CMOS, at that point the missing code presents itself as "POST ERROR!" I guess. I'll mess with it tonight after work, if I run into something new I'll definitely ring you up! Thanks, Bart!
What are you trying to do, Justin?

I have a PC hooked up to my Bravia via the VGA input on the back. If your PC has a video card that does cloning, than you should be able to see the same picture on both screens. The problem you are encountering sounds to me like a limitation of the card. Meaning, perhaps cloning only supports the same type of output, meaning, 2 VGA screens or two DVI screens but not one VGA and one DVI, etc.

I use dual monitors all the time, but I prefer to accomplish this with 2 video cards. Call me if you need to discuss.

Bart

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 03:30 PM
Hold out for this....

http://gizmodo.com/5421136/first-shots-of-boxee-box That's pretty cool - but it seems like a PS3 without the PS3 doesn't it? :confused:

nfpgasmask
12/08/2009, 04:10 PM
Are you running the TV off a laptop or desktop? I'm still slightly confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you need 2 screens in the first place with a 60" TV??

I have a 52" and it is the only monitor hooked up to my PC via VGA. I play all sorts of old school games on it on the big screen which rocks!

Bart

ZEUS
12/08/2009, 07:34 PM
Desktop. I'm basically trying to create a dual purpose HTPC - work station/entertainment station. Drafting is more comfortable with the monitor from my desk chair - I still bring work home sometimes and I also have my own random projects and writings. You'd have to see my layout to totally understand why it works so well. It's a long-time bachelor thing... you wouldn't understand. :p

Had to work late tonight so never got to mess with the 'puter.

JAMAS
12/09/2009, 06:06 AM
That's pretty cool - but it seems like a PS3 without the PS3 doesn't it? :confused:

Its boxee. Its pretty sweet.

I am an xbox person, dont know anything about PS3

Thmstec
12/09/2009, 07:28 AM
My monitor has 2 single VGA and DVI outputs only.
My TV has 3 HDMI inputs.
My video card has 2 DVI outputs only - Like I said, I have been using this for my monitor.
My motherboard has 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and one HDMI - plus audio spots.

What I'm reading from this is that you have integrated video in the motherboard AND a video card. Why not hook the monitor up via one of the DVI on the video card, and the TV via the HDMI on the integrated video?

The only problem I see possibly arising in that situation is driver conflicts if you have two different brands of video drivers. (like integrated NVIDIA external ATI or vice-versa) But it is also my understanding that vista or 7 can handle multiple video drivers with no conflict. Last time I tried to run two different cards was back in the XP days.

If you are still struggling with it, the official forum for the motherboard manufacture is often EXTREMELY helpful

nfpgasmask
12/09/2009, 08:45 AM
You'd have to see my layout to totally understand why it works so well.

I see. I guess I was just thinking about it from my perspective. I have a desktop with dual monitors for "regular" computer stuff. Then I have a spare low profile desktop in my entertainment center that is hooked up to my TV. I have a wireless keyboard with an integrated mouse. I use the computer hooked to the TV to spin MP3s through my stereo system, surf the net from the couch, watch videos on the big screen and play old school games.

It sounds like your main computer and your TV computer are one in the same.

Bart

ZEUS
12/09/2009, 10:45 AM
Sorry guys, I thought I was being more concise than I really was. Thmstec is right tho. And what you recommended is what I initially tried to do but for whatever reason the hardware won't allow the HDMI and DVI hookups at the same time. Thru my current configuration, the only ways to hook up the monitor and the TV seems to be monitor thru VGA and TV thru HDMI or DVI... or both hooked up via DVI.

Anyway, all this is almost a moot point as I was informed what my xmas bonus will be... :yeso: with that I will be getting a 2nd video card with HDMI and stereoscopic ability specifically for the TV, Windows 7 is required for the 3D hardware so I'll get that stuff too. I built my machine a year ago so it seems like everything else I have will be able to keep up - I still may upgrade a couple things tho.

Bart, I'll be talking nerdy to you on the phone after the holidays - got a lot going on till then...

Thanks for the help, guys!

nfpgasmask
12/09/2009, 02:17 PM
Sonuds good. 2 video cards is the way to go, imo!

Bart

Cobrajet
12/11/2009, 08:02 AM
I hope you get this solved, because that is very similar to the setup I will be working on (once I get my new PC back - power supply or motherboard fired within 24 hours!) I'm planning to run both my 24" monitor and my 46" TV off DVI ports, with audio supplied through the DVI port via a DVI to HDMI adapter and internal SPIDF connection from the motherboard to the video card. This may work with my current DVI to HDMI cable, but I doubt it.

Currently I'm running my monitor off VGA (through a KVM switch) and the TV through a DVI to HDMI cable (cheap from monoprice.com). I'm going to try upgrading the KVM to a DVI version, since I use my 24" monitor for work and play with a wireless keyboard and mouse (try making THAT work through a KVM switch!)

I don't run my TV in clone mode, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem with my setup, and I don't run video off the motherboard. In any case, my new PC will be totally different, and has the capability to run 2 (or 3) video cards in SLI mode.

OK, geek mode off. I don't really know half of what I am talking about. I just read the web and find somebody that has already worked out the bugs and do the same! :)

Good luck to both of us.

nfpgasmask
12/11/2009, 08:59 AM
I still kinda don't understand the point of running a TV off a PC while at the same time running a regular monitor. So are you going to be doing like 2 things at once?

For instance, typing up threads on the VehiCROSS.info forum while at the same time watching My Bloody Valentine in 3D? I guess I just think you should build a dedicated system to hook up to the TV.

The only reason I can think of having 2 monitors, one of which is a big TV, is if you are doing video editing and you want to have an actual HD TV monitor to preview your edits. You might look at some forums/websites related to that. You may find an answer there. Since HD video is now pretty accessible for the average consumer, there is most likely someone out there using a PC with dual HDMI outputs so they can edit and preview HD video on a big screen.

Bart

ZEUS
12/11/2009, 09:33 AM
I think cost effectiveness is what I am after. And I don't think I have room for two PC's, external hard drive, my receiver, sub, PS2, PS3 (which I finally bought last night and played with until 3:30 this morning) in my entertaiment center, and I would rather not have to buy 2 cases, motherboards, power supplies, keyboards... yada yada yada. With the 2 graphics cards, I think I would abandon the clone screen option and instead use the monitor for tracking downloads while the movie is playing on the TV. I may use torrents or have to render a building or buggy while I am watching a 3D movie and would like to keep the progress in my peripheral - I think more opps would also present themselves after having the setup in place.

nfpgasmask
12/11/2009, 09:56 AM
OK, if consolidation is what you are after, then yeah. I have an "office" room at home with a desk and that is where my main computer is so there is no way for my main computer and my TV computer to be one in the same...at least not without some really long wires!!!

I'm so pissed about Sony removing the backwards compatibility of the PS3. I sold my PS2 thinking I will just go out and get the PS3 with the big hard drive and the backwards compatibility but then I get to Best Buy and they tell me they discontinued that one. :_brickwal

I need to get a PS2 again so I can play all my PS2 and PS1 games.

Bart

ZEUS
12/11/2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Sony burnt me on that one too. It sucks to go from the PS3 and back to the PS2 tho. After playing GT5 at 1080p last night, every version before that is going to blow!

ZEUS
12/11/2009, 10:53 AM
I hear ya. It is a challenge for me as well - I don't totally understand what I am talking about either - I gotten used to that tho. :) My case is rather compact, it's a LAN/HTPC/ATX form factor type. Double graphics cards is going to be a tight fit, I beleive. I'm excited to step things up however and can't wait to get everything ordered and installed!
I hope you get this solved, because that is very similar to the setup I will be working on (once I get my new PC back - power supply or motherboard fired within 24 hours!) I'm planning to run both my 24" monitor and my 46" TV off DVI ports, with audio supplied through the DVI port via a DVI to HDMI adapter and internal SPIDF connection from the motherboard to the video card. This may work with my current DVI to HDMI cable, but I doubt it.

Currently I'm running my monitor off VGA (through a KVM switch) and the TV through a DVI to HDMI cable (cheap from monoprice.com). I'm going to try upgrading the KVM to a DVI version, since I use my 24" monitor for work and play with a wireless keyboard and mouse (try making THAT work through a KVM switch!)

I don't run my TV in clone mode, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem with my setup, and I don't run video off the motherboard. In any case, my new PC will be totally different, and has the capability to run 2 (or 3) video cards in SLI mode.

OK, geek mode off. I don't really know half of what I am talking about. I just read the web and find somebody that has already worked out the bugs and do the same! :)

Good luck to both of us.

Ldub
12/11/2009, 11:36 AM
OK, if consolidation is what you are after, then yeah. I have an "office" room at home with a desk and that is where my main computer is so there is no way for my main computer and my TV computer to be one in the same...at least not without some really long wires!!!

I'm so pissed about Sony removing the backwards compatibility of the PS3. I sold my PS2 thinking I will just go out and get the PS3 with the big hard drive and the backwards compatibility but then I get to Best Buy and they tell me they discontinued that one. :_brickwal

I need to get a PS2 again so I can play all my PS2 and PS1 games.

Bart

Find a "gently used" 60g & you're all set...:smilewink

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ps3+60gb+console&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

ZEUS
12/11/2009, 12:45 PM
WOW! People like to maintain the resale value of the 60gb, aye!?

nfpgasmask
12/11/2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I could do that. But I don't play games all that much anymore anyhow. Maybe I will go that route eventually though.

Bart

ZEUS
12/11/2009, 01:28 PM
I'm just about ready to relieve myself of most of my PS2 games I believe. And hey Christmas is coming!