PDA

View Full Version : new bumper on the 4runner pics

pbkid
12/02/2009, 11:18 AM
alright, i know at least Ldub and marlinstein are gonna look at this thread :p

finally got a little time between class and snapped some shots (sorry for the hazyness once again the girlfriend broke both digital cameras)
frontal view, makes it look kinda funny, not sure why. but it gives you an idea of the height of the stinger.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091153-02.jpg

some closer pics to look at the angle-work. also, in this one you can see where i mounted some new LED blinkers
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091153-01.jpg

they bent the very last 3" to match the fender flare, which i thought was a nice note of their worksmanship
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091153-00.jpg

above pic to show stinger distance from the grill (and protection for the driving lights)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091153-03.jpg

side pic, profile pictures are always nice ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091153-04.jpg

this is mounting system (its a 6 bolt mounting, with a stronger bracket welded onto the frame). this way the bumper is still removable for servicing.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091154-00.jpg

and lastly a very crappy picture of the inside, to show how they did the trailer hitch.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/1202091154-01.jpg

well, there ya are folks.... enjoy! and do this ----> :drool2:

VX KAT
12/02/2009, 11:24 AM
Nice Jack! ....but why's there a certain VX in your garage? :_thinking:_thinking
Or are you visiting it at your buddy's house? :heart:

pbkid
12/02/2009, 11:28 AM
lol buyer is still in texas.... hasnt been back to colorado to pick it up. im just hangin on to it for him.

sure does make me miss it though, walking past it every day :crying:

Triathlete
12/02/2009, 11:45 AM
Sweet bumper! Now all you need is THIS (http://trail-gear.com/trail-link.html)...and some 38's of course! Then will come the:drool2:

pbkid
12/02/2009, 11:49 AM
i know billy..... but the $1250 bumper drained my account pretty well...

wheels are getting installed tomorrow, lift ordered friday.... and 33's for x-mas hopefully

handeeman
12/02/2009, 11:58 AM
the girlfriend broke both digital cameras)

Yep, I had the same problem with the wife, after going thru a couple of digital cameras...the guy at the camera shop told me to stop taking her picture.

Seriously, I really like the bumper on the uh......er........um....toyota.

Triathlete
12/02/2009, 12:26 PM
..... but the $1250 bumper drained my account pretty well...

The linked front end was cheaper!:bwgy:

RabidPony
12/02/2009, 12:29 PM
Bumper looks good man. VX looks better though. :bgwb:

Marlin
12/02/2009, 12:33 PM
Nice, but it doesn't count for two reasons

1. You didn't do it yourself
2. You can buy anything for a yota,

But it looks sweet, and I am already working plans for a new bumper, I wish the VX had that nice flat profile under the lights to mate up a bumper to.

I would go with Billy's advice, lower link set, new Isuzu emblems, a VX body style kit, recaro racing seats, head turning cladding design, and then it will be Bad ***....LOL.

Just messing with you Jack. Sometimes I wish I had never bought the VX just because it is so damned expensive and hard to get parts. A nice Yota or Nissan Hardbody would great.

nfpgasmask
12/02/2009, 01:28 PM
Looks good, Jack. I've always liked the newer 4Runners. If I was in line to buy a new 4x4, something like this is what I would do:

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/4runner_bullbar.jpg

:thumbup: Bart

PittVXr
12/02/2009, 01:30 PM
Sometimes I wish I had never bought the VX just because it is so damned expensive and hard to get parts. A nice Yota or Nissan Hardbody would great.

I'm going to assume you are still under the influence of hard core pain killers...Right??? :)

ZEUS
12/02/2009, 01:32 PM
It is a cool bumper but I don't get it... why did you NEED to sell your VX again?

pbkid
12/02/2009, 02:18 PM
The linked front end was cheaper!:bwgy:
haha, ya... but install would be a different situation ;)
also- the linked front end doesnt keep my new baby safe from idiots in parking lots.....(one of the major reasons i wanted it)

Bumper looks good man. VX looks better though. :bgwb:
i know..... dont remind me :crying:

Nice, but it doesn't count for two reasons

1. You didn't do it yourself
2. You can buy anything for a yota,
ahh, see that doesnt work either though... because it was not a shelf unit, it was all completely custom made ON MY CAR... so you could do the exact same with the VX. so dont give me that ;)

But it looks sweet, and I am already working plans for a new bumper, I wish the VX had that nice flat profile under the lights to mate up a bumper to.
ya, the flat profile REALLY helps making a good fitting bumper, i feel your pain. thats the reason i never coughed up the dough to do it on my VX

Just messing with you Jack. Sometimes I wish I had never bought the VX just because it is so damned expensive and hard to get parts. A nice Yota or Nissan Hardbody would great.

Looks good, Jack. I've always liked the newer 4Runners. If I was in line to buy a new 4x4, something like this is what I would do:

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/4runner_bullbar.jpg

:thumbup: Bart
ya, i looked at the ARB solutions for my runner. but i just didnt like what they presented.
1- it was almost $500 just to INSTALL the ARB
2- it made the already square vehicle look even more square, the newer 4runner definately looks great with the square ARB, but they have a lot more curves than my body style
3- for $1250 (custom) vs. $1400 (ARB, the cheapest bumper i could find pre-fabbed) i would much rather choose the EXACT design shape i was looking for.

It is a cool bumper but I don't get it... why did you NEED to sell your VX again?

because i felt that i couldnt drive the VX on the roads without comp&collision. ( i know many of you only have liabilty) because it is the most valuable thing i own, and if i got into an accident than there basically goes my savings.
vs.
the 4runner only has liability and only has 7k invested into it. so that left me almost 4k in a savings. PLUS, with the leftover money i could afford to get this bumper which will protect me from 25% of accidents (front end), rear end is AUTOMATICALLY the back persons fault, so whoever hits me is gonna pay to fix my car. and side impacts are pretty rare.
so i figure that the only situation where i would be out a car and money would be a front end collision, which i now have covered (up to about 40 mph)

so justin- i have 4k in a savings, a reliable car that can still wheel, and some security. (at the loss of my VX :()

Ldub
12/02/2009, 02:43 PM
Young Man, that's a fine piece of craftsmanship/fabrication right there...:yesgray:

Gets two of these...:thumbup:.:thumbup:, & one of these :dan_ban: for good measure!

The only thing I'd add, is some internal gusseting above & below the hitch, to stiffen things up a bit.:_wrench:

ZEUS
12/02/2009, 02:50 PM
because i felt that i couldnt drive the VX on the roads without comp&collision. ( i know many of you only have liabilty) because it is the most valuable thing i own, and if i got into an accident than there basically goes my savings.
vs.
the 4runner only has liability and only has 7k invested into it. so that left me almost 4k in a savings. PLUS, with the leftover money i could afford to get this bumper which will protect me from 25% of accidents (front end), rear end is AUTOMATICALLY the back persons fault, so whoever hits me is gonna pay to fix my car. and side impacts are pretty rare.
so i figure that the only situation where i would be out a car and money would be a front end collision, which i now have covered (up to about 40 mph)

so justin- i have 4k in a savings, a reliable car that can still wheel, and some security. (at the loss of my VX :()Hmm, I guess I just figured you were under financial stress with lawyer fees and fines and couldn't afford to cover them so you sold your VX. Thanks for clarifying.

My eyes have been opened to reveal a kid who has a wad of dough burning a hole in his pocket and a 4-Runner that is about to equal the selling price of his abandoned Stitch without the great handling! :p I'm just playin wit ya, Jack! How much school you got left before you can bring in some big bucks?

VX KAT
12/02/2009, 04:06 PM
vs.

so justin- i have 4k in a savings, a reliable car that can still wheel, and some security. (at the loss of my VX :()
jeez, ya can't say he didn't analyze his situation 7 ways to Sunday before making a decision.....:thumbup:

VXorado
12/02/2009, 04:13 PM
I like the bumper Jack and now we have matching Hellas!!!

There's a bad A** toyota near my house with a similar bumper, i'll have to take a picture of it for ya

ZEUS
12/02/2009, 04:40 PM
jeez, ya can't say he didn't analyze his situation 7 ways to Sunday before making a decision.....:thumbup:Yeah, plus he knows how to talk to me! :yeso:

pbkid
12/02/2009, 07:45 PM
Young Man, that's a fine piece of craftsmanship/fabrication right there...:yesgray:
well thanks, sr. dub!

Gets two of these...:thumbup:.:thumbup:, & one of these :dan_ban: for good measure!

The only thing I'd add, is some internal gusseting above & below the hitch, to stiffen things up a bit.:_wrench:
actually the hitch really isnt designed to hold much weight. its really designed to attach a 'mobile' winch to in case of emergency. or a custom made jet-ski holder that i will fab up eventually for my stand-up ski.

My eyes have been opened to reveal a kid who has a wad of dough burning a hole in his pocket and a 4-Runner that is about to equal the selling price of his abandoned Stitch without the great handling! :p I'm just playin wit ya, Jack! How much school you got left before you can bring in some big bucks?
correction... USED to have dough burning in my pocket... between bumper, rims, lift and stereo my pockets are pretty empty ;)

jeez, ya can't say he didn't analyze his situation 7 ways to Sunday before making a decision.....:thumbup:

i wouldnt of sold my baby stitch if i hadnt over analyzed it anyhow... cmon you know that!

I like the bumper Jack and now we have matching Hellas!!!
good choice sir! i used to have the same ones on stitch, they worked great and were very reasonable so i purchased another set.
There's a bad A** toyota near my house with a similar bumper, i'll have to take a picture of it for ya

sweet, i'd like to see it. when we gonna go do some mud romping or at least meet up for some boarding? im riding friday if your not busy ;)

Yeah, plus he knows how to talk to me! :yeso:

:thumbup: do what i can!

tom4bren
12/03/2009, 03:17 AM
Yeah, plus he knows how to talk to me! :yeso:

Obviously a talent that is beyond my rekoning.

VXorado
12/03/2009, 05:52 AM
sweet, i'd like to see it. when we gonna go do some mud romping or at least meet up for some boarding? im riding friday if your not busy ;)

I'm going to kansas city this weekend to visit a friend but I've been going riding every monday-tuesday if you want to meet up on one of those days. Mud romping would be fun too... I've been holding off until I get the winch installed but what are the chances both of us would get stuck?

Triathlete
12/03/2009, 09:19 AM
...but what are the chances both of us would get stuck?

Famous last words!:bwgy:

Ldub
12/04/2009, 11:05 PM
actually the hitch really isnt designed to hold much weight. its really designed to attach a 'mobile' winch to in case of emergency. or a custom made jet-ski holder that i will fab up eventually for my stand-up ski.

If you put a jet ski on there, how is that "not much weight"?

And the force of a winch pulling a 4000+ lb vehicle out of the mud, or up an obstacle?

Near as I can tell, the area where the receiver is welded in is about 1/8" max, (check me if I'm wrong on that) IMO,without some additional gusseting, & maybe even WITH, you're likely to experience significant flex, if not permanent deformation or worse in that area.

I'm just sayin'...:smilewink

pbkid
12/05/2009, 01:34 PM
If you put a jet ski on there, how is that "not much weight"?

And the force of a winch pulling a 4000+ lb vehicle out of the mud, or up an obstacle?

Near as I can tell, the area where the receiver is welded in is about 1/8" max, (check me if I'm wrong on that) IMO,without some additional gusseting, & maybe even WITH, you're likely to experience significant flex, if not permanent deformation or worse in that area.

I'm just sayin'...:smilewink

well... sir dub....good questioning though...

a stand up jet ski only weighs about 200-300 lbs. and i can confidently jump in my bumper with no problems and im 200lbs. so that weight doesnt worry me much, plus it wouldnt be levered very far away from the bumper so there isnt much multiplication of weight.

and the force of winching isnt all that much. 1. your pulling, not lifting. 2. thats a receiver hitch going through SQUARE STOCK and being welded on both sides, i would say its fairly strong for pulling.

im thinking that you didnt realize that this bumper is made out of steel square stock. so its extremely strong. and i could be wrong but im pretty sure the whole thing is 1/4", not 1/8"...
so, the hitch is welded to two 1/4" steel frame pieces...

however, i dont have much experience with trailer hitches, so i could be completely wrong and out of my element here.

the welder (armorology) told me that he completely stands behind all of his work. so if i put a 300lb jet ski on the bumper and it deformed it, you bet ill be takin it back (especially for 1250). and keep in mind that i will more than likely NEVER use that hitch, it was just added there incase i wanted to get a slide in winch to help me out of a little mud here and there. i have a full heavy duty trailer hitch on the rear of the car that im confident would pull anything the motor could handle.

Ldub
12/05/2009, 10:31 PM
im thinking that you didnt realize that this bumper is made out of steel square stock. so its extremely strong. and i could be wrong but im pretty sure the whole thing is 1/4", not 1/8"...
so, the hitch is welded to two 1/4" steel frame pieces...

Yep, that would be the difference...:yesgray:

Thanks for setting me straight on that, I feel retter all betty...:_wrench:

pbkid
12/06/2009, 09:05 AM
Yep, that would be the difference...:yesgray:

Thanks for setting me straight on that, I feel retter all betty...:_wrench:

now you got me all worried, it is gonna be enough strength to use a winch right??

Triathlete
12/06/2009, 04:32 PM
Got to agree with Dub. Most recievers attatch in some way, shape or form to the frame. Jumping on your bumper is not the same as 200lbs hanging out in front (not dirrectly over, which means in reallity more weight and stress) combined with road vibrations/bumps. Better safe than sorry...

pbkid
12/06/2009, 07:14 PM
ya, your very correct billy. ill keep that in mind, and primarily use it only 'for emergencies'

anything i wanna carry will be attached to the rear hitch.

Riff Raff
12/07/2009, 02:33 AM
i know billy..... but the $1250 bumper drained my account pretty well...

PB-KID--- I love your new front bumper, but it seems a bit pricey at $1250. The off-the-shelf ARB Bull-Bumper can be found a tad cheaper. Still, your custom front bumper is nicely designed and very functional.

Here are some on-line websites that you may find interesting for your Toyota, as I use them quite frequently for parts for my '78 FJ-40.

Check-out:

www.Man-A-Fre.com

and

www.SOR.com (Spector Off-Road)

ZEUS
12/07/2009, 08:30 AM
Got to agree with Dub. Most recievers attatch in some way, shape or form to the frame. Jumping on your bumper is not the same as 200lbs hanging out in front (not dirrectly over, which means in reallity more weight and stress) combined with road vibrations/bumps. Better safe than sorry...
The issue that I would be concerned about is winching off-angle. A lateral load on the winch or even a tow point could deform the metal if it isn't braced adequately.

tom4bren
12/07/2009, 08:35 AM
The issue that I would be concerned about is winching off-angle. A lateral load on the winch or even a tow point could deform the metal if it isn't braced adequately.

& all this time I thought you were a 'straight shooter'. Time to reappraise my assessment?

ZEUS
12/07/2009, 09:56 AM
Winching hardly ever happens straight on so I am still a straight shooter just a crooked wincher! :)

tom4bren
12/07/2009, 10:50 AM
Winching hardly ever happens straight on so I am still a straight shooter just a crooked wincher! :)

crooked wincher - ninny snapper

Yer gettin all sorts of interesting nicknames lately ... wonder which is gonna stick.

ZEUS
12/07/2009, 10:58 AM
crooked wincher - ninny snapper

Yer gettin all sorts of interesting nicknames lately ... wonder which is gonna stick.I still like Dub's "Whiny Sniper" :bgwo:

pbkid
12/07/2009, 08:53 PM
PB-KID--- I love your new front bumper, but it seems a bit pricey at $1250. The off-the-shelf ARB Bull-Bumper can be found a tad cheaper. Still, your custom front bumper is nicely designed and very functional.

Here are some on-line websites that you may find interesting for your Toyota, as I use them quite frequently for parts for my '78 FJ-40.

Check-out:

www.Man-A-Fre.com

and

www.SOR.com (Spector Off-Road)

cool, thanks for the sites, ill add those to the list of stuff i reference for the new 'toy' (the yeti).

and the 1250 seemed steep to me too. until i started shopping around....

my second choice was a company out of texas called Shrockworks but they were asking $1400 shipped... without install.
and as you know from your FJ, custom stuff can add up very quickly.

so, ill give you the breakdown that i went through to help it make more sense.
i shopped custom shops first, and found a few that i wasnt willing to pay for because either they were 'unstylish' or very expensive. and it came down to "Shrockworks", "Armorology" and "ARB".

so, shrockworks- $1400 PLUS install? dont think so.
armorology- (original quote was 1400 also, but ill explain it more later)
ARB- $850 shipped, plus $500-600 for install :freek: totaling $1400- (because ARB doesnt make a bumper for a 4runner, they make bumpers for tacoma's and apparently there is some significant modification to make it fit the runner.....ARB quoted me 5-8 hours depending on the shops experience with their bumper)

so, since armorology was nearby (about 2 hours away) i gave them a call to talk to them more. and they informed me that they were booked out 3 months... :freek:

i called shrockworks the next day and they were booked 8 months out!!!!

and ARB of course would ship immediately but to be honest with you, i think ARB is really ugly on the 4runner which is already a VERY square vehicle. i was looking for something to break up the lines (more like what i ended up with, or shrockworks which is very similar to mine)

(sorry for the long explaination, but what better do we have to do? ;) )

so, i called the armorology shop back to schedule something 3 months out :(
and they informed me that they had someone cancel and they would build my bumper if i could get it to them the next week. which made me really happy.

i took my runner down to them the next week and got to talking. we changed some designs on the bumper and ended up with a price closer to $1000 installed. i added the re-inforced stinger and the polished aluminum skid plate to protect the bottom of the radiator, and it totalled $1250 after everything.

so, long story short, they built me the most 'complete' bumper, with the design i liked... within a reasonable amount of time.

pbkid
12/07/2009, 08:57 PM
oh, and FYI- this is the original bumper i designed mine off of.... for this exact design they quoted me $1400 with the re-inforcements for the winch.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/toyota_bumper.jpg