PDA

View Full Version : Horn help

Joe Isuzu
11/25/2009, 05:42 PM
I admit I was having a rough day and let someone have it with the horn. Unfortunately, I was a little too agitated and the horn stuck. I've removed the fuse but would like to fix it properly. Soooo, anyone know how easy/hard it is to open our steering wheel? I realize I need to be safe about the airbag and disconnect the battery, but other than that, I'd be guessing. Any help would be appreciated.

Ldub
11/25/2009, 05:56 PM
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=170823&postcount=3

There ya go...Happy :thanx:giving...

Joe Isuzu
11/25/2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks LDub! I know you may not believe me but I actually used the search function before posting and read that very thread. Believe me, I've read way too many posts when people didn't search first before posting.
When I read that post, it seemed more like removal of the entire steering wheel which is not what I want to do. I simply want to take the plastic fascia cover off to take a look at the horn sensor.

Ldub
11/25/2009, 06:16 PM
I have no reason not to believe you...you seem like a pretty good "Joe"...:smilewink

That's just the closest thing I could find that might be of help.

I'm guessing that steering wheel removal may be required to access the contacts, but having never had mine off...:_confused

Hope you're able to find a solution...:luck:

lasturbo
11/25/2009, 06:46 PM
As far as I remember the steering wheel has to come of first before you can take the covers off (if you want to take them off. Once the steering wheel is off, you can see everything.

Joe Isuzu
11/26/2009, 05:19 AM
ugh..............I think I'll let the mechanic tackle this one. One of my pet peeves is an uncentered steering wheel and since I've never fiddled with removing a steering wheel, I'm not taking any chances. Thanks for the info guys, have a good T-giving!

Ldub
11/26/2009, 05:27 AM
ugh..............I think I'll let the mechanic tackle this one. One of my pet peeves is an uncentered steering wheel and since I've never fiddled with removing a steering wheel, I'm not taking any chances. Thanks for the info guys, have a good T-giving!

The O C steering wheel is usually taken care of with an alignment.

Y33TREKker
11/26/2009, 07:49 AM
Any chance it's just the horn relay that's bad or sticking?

If you're standing in front of the vehicle looking at the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment, the horn relay is the one in the lower left hand corner.

MsConduct
01/28/2011, 07:26 PM
OK, I have to share a little story here... and add this as a little bit of trivia for anyone else who disables the horn by pulling the fuse...

I am now the proud owner of Joe's Isuzu. I also live in California, where they have lots of weird smog/emissions requirements. So, off I go to get the VX "smogged" so she's legal here...

The mechanic hooks up the fancy machine, and starts to look puzzled. He calls me over and says that the VX is probably fine, but it just isn't communicating with the system. Seems that sometimes happens when someone plugs something big into the cig lighter or something, because the emissions communication stuff is often in the same circuit as the lighter... sometimes a fuse blows...

Well, that reminds me... there is that matter of the horn fuse...

So, I tell him about the horn and that the fuse is pulled. We replace said fuse, the poor thing starts screaming (inside a concrete block bay, no less) but voila! We have communication with the testing machine!

Fortunately, the mechanics and (most) other customers were very patient, while the poor guy has to do the whole test with the horn blaring. (For you non-Callifornians, this is about 3 - 5 minutes but seems much longer when someone is sounding the horn in an enclosed work bay!)

His only real comment about it was "you know, you might want to have that fixed..."

Ya think? Well, I have two years before the next test anyway...

So, the Dragon passed all the emissions tests with flying colors, and is now a legal and legitimate citizen of California! Whew!

Triathlete
01/28/2011, 09:36 PM
I've heard that if you recharge the flux capacitor system it will fix the horn problem.:bwgy:

MsConduct
01/28/2011, 10:02 PM
I've heard that if you recharge the flux capacitor system it will fix the horn problem.:bwgy:

I'll have to try that tomorrow morning... :smilewink

vt_maverick
01/29/2011, 05:30 AM
Do you guys not have yearly state inspections? I'm pretty sure the horn is one of the pass/fail items on our checklist.

MsConduct
01/29/2011, 08:47 AM
Do you guys not have yearly state inspections? I'm pretty sure the horn is one of the pass/fail items on our checklist.

Not in California. Every other year you need to get a smog test, but that's it now. (Many years ago you used to be able to get a basic safety inspection/sticker from the Highway Patrol, but I haven't seen that done in decades.)

Junster
02/13/2011, 09:42 PM
Have you tried just whacking the steering wheel a couple times? Sometimes the Fonzie fix works.