PDA

View Full Version : Fog switch, illumination color

paultvx
08/07/2003, 11:45 PM
This was discussed in an earlier thread under a different topic...

Anyway, finally got around to pulling the switch apart and sure enough, the little bulb responsible for illuminating the switch has a little blue bulb condom on it. From the previous thread I know some of you were looking for ways to turn this green so the switches would look like the rest of the dash. One thing I thought of was to paint the bulbs with transparent model making paint. Most hobby shops have this and it should work... but I am not sure how long it'd work. The other thing I thought of doing was to simply switch the two bulbs around so that when the switch is on, the little window would light yellow (or blue with the condom on) instead of green... that's assuming the two bulbs are of the same wattage. I assume they are... anyone know for sure?

Will be looking online to see if I can find the bulb condoms. Will post results of the search if I find any.

psychos2
08/08/2003, 05:29 AM
i saw the bulb condoms in walmart.i am pretty sure it was walmart.i will look again when i go tonight. shawn

Moncha
08/08/2003, 06:48 AM
Yep! Them are some tiny condoms :D

The bulbs are different wattages, I accidentally switched them and one was too bright while the other was too dim.
I painted my indicator bulb to match the indicator in the defroster switch. Don't ask the forumula, I used what seems to be a pint of paint to dip one simple tiny bulb. One tip, dip (or paint) the bulb with multiple coats as just one leaves the bulb too bright and is glaring at night.

Shawn, unless the condoms you speak of are about 1/16 wide by 1/8 long, the ones I've seen are way too big.. very small bulbs (Grain of wheat bulbs)

paultvx
08/08/2003, 10:21 AM
I couldn't find anything useful on the net. All I could find were replacement bulbs for our switches. The one for the defroster switch (which I assume to be the same wattage) is not cheap. $3.40 for one tiny little bulb. The part number is 8971171080. I'll try to hit some junk yards this weekend and see if I can find couple switches to get the green condoms from... along with the little white fuse puller to replace the one my friend dropped down the defroster vent. Grrrr. Good help is hard to find.

Moncha
08/08/2003, 11:33 AM
Might take a little time to get but I found this and will most likely order from here (http://www.huntersystems.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh008768.pl?ACTINIC_REFERRER=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehu ntersystems%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehuntersystems%2eco%2euk %2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=cover%20bulb&PREVQUERY=RANDOM%3dNETQUOTEVAR%253ARANDOM%26PAGE%3 dSEARCH%26SS%3dbulb%2bcover%26TB%3dA%26PR%3d%2d1%2 6ACTION%3dSearch&PN=Lighting%2ehtml%23a1422#a1422)

paultvx
08/08/2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks Scott. Looks like minum order is 10 British pounds which is about $16 USD. For five bulb covers it's about $1.90. So it'd be best to do a group buy. The covers come in blue, red, yellow, and green. The bags come in packs of five covers. You can have single color or a mix of colors (4 covers one of each color... same price).

Any takers? I think I'm going to head to the junk yard anyway.