PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

Mark B
11/18/2009, 12:43 PM
My wife has bought a Mercedes ML 320 about 10 months ago and as you know some women are not to concerned about the maintenance of their vehicle.
I asked her if she has done any maintenance to the vehicle such as oil change and checking of the fliuds. I should have known her answer which was NO.
So I went to Advanced Auto Parts to do the oil change myself.
$ 90.00 for mobile one synthetic oil and oil filter. The car takes 9 quarts of oil. I was shocked at the price since I was doing the oil change myself.
I can't imagine what a Mercedes dealer would charge.

Ldub
11/18/2009, 02:45 PM
My wife has bought a Mercedes ML 320 about 10 months ago and as you know some women are not to concerned about the maintenance of their vehicle.
I asked her if she has done any maintenance to the vehicle such as oil change and checking of the fliuds. I should have known her answer which was NO.
So I went to Advanced Auto Parts to do the oil change myself.
$ 90.00 for mobile one synthetic oil and oil filter. The car takes 9 quarts of oil. I was shocked at the price since I was doing the oil change myself.
I can't imagine what a Mercedes dealer would charge.

Uhhhhh...BUMMER

Keep an eye out for when WalMart has 5 qt. jugs of Mobil 1 for $22-24.OO:luck:

How much is the filter?

Gussie2000
11/18/2009, 03:37 PM
Uhhhhh...BUMMER

Keep an eye out for when WalMart has 5 qt. jugs of Mobil 1 for $22-24.OO:luck:

How much is the filter?

Those MB engines are pretty big considering it's medium size SUV,but considering the high HP it can kick makes sense though.

vt_maverick
11/18/2009, 07:34 PM
Hmm, Advance must run different ads in different regions because our local stores are currently running a "Any 5 qts Mobile 1 + Filter: $30" special through the end of November. :thumbup:

WormGod
11/19/2009, 07:01 AM
You must have bought it used then. Merc generally only continues to honor warranties if THEY do all the maintenance. They are QUICK to deny you future obligations if you so much as put air in a tire yourself.

Mark B
11/19/2009, 08:33 AM
Yes, car was used and has about 35k.
Oil filter was $ 15.00.
I did not see any deals on the mobile 1 when I purchased the oil.

nfpgasmask
11/19/2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah, it's crazy, my wife's 911 take like 10 or 12 quarts as well. But then again, at the rate my VX burns oil, I guess my little Isuzu is a bigger hog! :laughing:

Yes, Wally World usually has the 5 quart Mobile-1 jug for around $24-$26 in my neck of the woods.

Bart

etlsport
11/19/2009, 10:10 AM
i had a lady come in to my shop a couple months back with an '06 taurus she walks in and tells me she needs her 30k service, when i asked her what type of oil she typically has put in (synthetic, blend, standard) she says well this is the first oil change so i dont know what they put in from the factory.. i say huuuuuh??? turns out she thought oil changes were every 30... instead of every 3.. sure enough it had the factory ford oil filter and everything.. that oil was BLACK

pbkid
11/19/2009, 10:50 AM
i had a lady come in to my shop a couple months back with an '06 taurus she walks in and tells me she needs her 30k service, when i asked her what type of oil she typically has put in (synthetic, blend, standard) she says well this is the first oil change so i dont know what they put in from the factory.. i say huuuuuh??? turns out she thought oil changes were every 30... instead of every 3.. sure enough it had the factory ford oil filter and everything.. that oil was BLACK
:freek:

did you advise her to start saving now for a new motor?

blacksambo
11/19/2009, 07:24 PM
Okay, I'll say this again inspite of what others have said against this method (Tone, included. God rest his soul.) I have found the problem with the VX engine oil usage has alot to do with the filler cover "O" ring and PCV valve. Specifically, change that "O" ring every oil change and screw the cover down tight using a pliers, and second only use the Purolator PV 1061 valve, it's superior in every way. With these adjustments oil consumption declines, as less oil is blown into the engine intake system. I know this sounds too good to be true, but try it, it works. We've applied this metod with our two '99's with good success.

handeeman
11/20/2009, 12:17 PM
Okay, I'll say this again inspite of what others have said against this method (Tone, included. God rest his soul.) I have found the problem with the VX engine oil usage has alot to do with the filler cover "O" ring and PCV valve. Specifically, change that "O" ring every oil change and screw the cover down tight using a pliers, and second only use the Purolator PV 1061 valve, it's superior in every way. With these adjustments oil consumption declines, as less oil is blown into the engine intake system. I know this sounds too good to be true, but try it, it works. We've applied this metod with our two '99's with good success.
Hey blacksambo, at the risk of sounding stupid, where do you get the "O"ring ? I mean is it something you can pick up at like autozone or do ya need to order from merlin ?

RabidPony
11/20/2009, 12:22 PM
I would guess you could just get an o-ring of similar size and thickness for your nearest parts store. That's what I plan on doing. I've actually considered cutting/machining an o-ring recess into the filler neck on the cam cover.