PDA

View Full Version : Considering Buying: What do I need to know?

jdbwrx
11/12/2009, 09:01 PM
So, I've always liked the Vehicross and now am kicking around the idea of really looking for one.

I have done some reading and searching here, but I want to get some more technical info. I realize there are a lot that say it will put a "big grin on your face" and "best car I have ever owned." I need some more nitty gritty kind of details.

Nuts and bolts kind of stuff though, what do I need to be aware of in looking for a used VX? It seems some window stuff is a problem. There was some reports on MSN about engine issues. Any big ticket items to be concerned with?

Anything and everything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pbkid
11/12/2009, 09:31 PM
well, im not the best for technical info but.....

oil consumption is one of the biggest issues on the VX. if the owner has not changed the PCV and dont regular oil changes, there will be problems.... if they have, then the motor will last a long freakin time.

some have ABS issues, but thats easy for you to research here on the site with the search function. nothing to be too worried about, but if its going out it can be expensive to replace.

and of course the window issues....

mechanically that it. there are a few other smaller things but they are easily fixable. (ie- cd changer goes out, 'screws' on the tailgate interior wear out, cv axle issues if lifted)

tom4bren
11/13/2009, 06:59 AM
This thread is a good read:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16062&highlight=purchase

It's kinda 'worse case scenario' but it worked out well for the guy in the end ... he's happy with his purchase despite the problems.

Read this too:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16385&highlight=search

circmand
11/13/2009, 08:24 AM
dont be scared away people even here post there problems they do not post when everything is going fine. I bought mine new 9 years or so ago had the window issues and some TOD issues under warranty and a rear axle seal leak that the dealer took too many attempts to fix but on the whole I am happy with cost of ownership VS thrill of ownership

vt_maverick
11/13/2009, 08:45 AM
on the whole I am happy with cost of ownership VS thrill of ownership

Well put.

tom4bren
11/13/2009, 09:47 AM
True. Other than the window issues (now fixed), the only problems I've had are self imposed.

jdbwrx
11/13/2009, 12:38 PM
the only problems I've had are self imposed.
:yesb: Isn't that always the case??? :grino:

tom4bren
11/13/2009, 12:58 PM
:yesb: Isn't that always the case??? :grino:

Nope ... MANY of my problems are imposed by Zeus or Handeeman. I'd go nutz if I didn't have Lbud as a wingman.

Gussie2000
11/13/2009, 01:16 PM
The mayor issue with VX is its engine.
Good bunch of isuzu trucks carrying this same engine blows away due oil compsumtiom.keep a tight & consistent view on its oil level & you wiil be on the right path.
Also it is important that you find a VX that the previous owner took take of it.
Besides that & the windows there's all other stuff that can go bad in any car as it normal.happens.

Greasemonkey
11/13/2009, 01:38 PM
Get a Japanese one - we don't suffer from the same problems as the US versions - we don't have all the whistles and bells - just a bog standard Vehicross - as it was meant to be - no fancy colours , no fancy indicators , just a good standard of Japanese engineering - we don't even have to have the 'big' engine - just the standard 3.2 japanese lump not the American 3.5 big bore
the JDM has the built in option of 2wd when we want it and 4wd on the fly - along with recaro cloth seats (no burns to the back of the legs when left in the sun) and a really nice Momo leather steering wheel as well - oh yes we have a reversing camera as standard (Japanese people are short )

lets see how many of you bite ?
regards
Steve

handeeman
11/13/2009, 02:05 PM
Nope ... MANY of my problems are imposed by Zeus or Handeeman. I'd go nutz if I didn't have Lbud as a wingman.

Ha, some wingman, I'll betcha if ya radioed him right now and said ya got a bogie (Zeus) on your tail, your wingman is asleep. So most of the time your flyin solo. Plus so many times it appears you're on a Kamikazi mission......I'll let Zeus take it from here.
Oh and not to TJ, the biggest problem I've had with my VX is not having the funds to Mod it, not fix it. If my money comes in from that guy I sold the Bugatti Veyron to in Texas, I'll be set.

vt_maverick
11/13/2009, 02:08 PM
regards
Steve

I won't bite, other than to say that I'd love to have one of both so I could make a best of both worlds!

tom4bren
11/13/2009, 02:20 PM
The JDM are great for those of you who haven't figgered out which side of the road to drive on.

pbkid
11/13/2009, 03:19 PM
If my money comes in from that guy I sold the Bugatti Veyron to in Texas, I'll be set.
hmm, he owes you money too?

Ldub
11/13/2009, 10:41 PM
just a bog standard Vehicross - as it was meant to be - no fancy colours ,

I'll bite...:smilewink
Look here...http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~v.175-59/175ltd-editions.htm
(link below)

oh yes we have a reversing camera as standard

That eventually doesn't work...:smilewink

regards
Steve