PDA

View Full Version : Exhausting workout...

ZEUS
11/09/2009, 04:20 PM
This weekend, I finally pulled the VX into the garage to fix my exhaust leak. OK, more accuratley, it leaked for a while and the the exhaust pipe finally fell off the manifold and rested on the crossmember... then I pulled it into the garage. :rollo: It took me so long to get to it because I couldn't find the leak. I knew about where it was but couldn't tell if it was the driver's manifold or the pipe. Turns out it was the driver's side pipe. Just short of the weld seam on the down tube of the exhaust pipe, a crack developed. The crack continued growing over the last several weeks until it finally wrapped around the entire circumference of the pipe and let go.

Removing the exhaust is exhausting. I had to use a grinder on the exhaust flange bolts and also a damaged-nut remover - doing crunches the whole time. The O2 sensors are really in there tight also but I managed to remove them without damage with an adjustable wrench, extender bar, and patience - and a shoulder workout. (Having a new set of tools is awesome by the way! :)) Then I had to remove the trans crossmember to drop the center section of exhaust tubing along with the driver's caty. It took hours on Saturday to get thru the removal phase.

Sunday was all about the reinstallation. Luckily, there was a clean break at the weld seam so I could line up the two pieces perfectly. The repair weld was the easiest part of the whole operation and only took 1/2 hour! New gaskets and bolts, and I was ready to put it all back together. Not easy, but not really difficult either, it proved to be a one-man operation. Another work out again though!

I can't tell you how good it felt to get this repair done - I have been so out of ambition to do anything for awhile and this was a great launching platform to get me back into 'real mechanicing'! Even better is driving the VX again! It sounds good once more and has better pick up, like before.

Knivx, I'm getting it closer to trail ready for a run with you guys. Let me know when the next journey is scheduled for... besides next weekend. Time to get our VX Meet under way, me thinks! :yesy:

Marlin
11/09/2009, 04:26 PM
Mine is going in next week for drivers side manifold gasket replacement, and repair whatever else is leaking. I love having an auto hobby shop on base, a full service mechanic shop and they will help if you need it for 40 bucks an hour...yippeeee!!!!!!!!

ZEUS
11/10/2009, 07:21 AM
Mine is going in next week for drivers side manifold gasket replacement, and repair whatever else is leaking. I love having an auto hobby shop on base, a full service mechanic shop and they will help if you need it for 40 bucks an hour...yippeeee!!!!!!!!40 bucks an hour would make it worth it... to them! :) I thought my VX had the leak you are talking about and I saw that as a really daunting repair. Are you going to try it yourself or pay them to?

Ascinder
11/10/2009, 10:32 PM
That's the exact same type of cracking I had going on on my passenger side downpipe where it met the flange. I wonder if this is going to start showing up more and more. Btw I feel your pain on those flange bolts and O2 sensors, I just took mine out again the other day.

ZEUS
11/11/2009, 07:36 AM
That's the exact same type of cracking I had going on on my passenger side downpipe where it met the flange. I wonder if this is going to start showing up more and more. Btw I feel your pain on those flange bolts and O2 sensors, I just took mine out again the other day.
You know, I was wondering the same thing as I was laying under there. There is so much distance between the isolator at the muffler and the manifold flange. It seems to create a lot of wiggle room. I thought about installing another isolator just behind both caty's to alleviate some of that wiggle room. I opted to hope for the best instead! :)

nfpgasmask
11/11/2009, 04:15 PM
So were the bolts just rusted on there?

Man, I've been doing so much real mechanicing lately my head is spinning! There is SO MUCH to learn and know and I am trying to keep it all straight in my head. The Trooper should be back on the road with a 3.4 by mid December!

Bart

Marlin
11/11/2009, 04:37 PM
40 bucks an hour would make it worth it... to them! :) I thought my VX had the leak you are talking about and I saw that as a really daunting repair. Are you going to try it yourself or pay them to?

My plan is to start on my own, I am worried about busting a stud in the manifold if it is indeed the manifold gasket. We will see.

ZEUS
11/12/2009, 08:46 AM
So were the bolts just rusted on there?

Man, I've been doing so much real mechanicing lately my head is spinning! There is SO MUCH to learn and know and I am trying to keep it all straight in my head. The Trooper should be back on the road with a 3.4 by mid December!

BartExhaust bolts are always rusted on there! The O2 sensors really scared me and there are specific removal tools for them but I didn't use anything fancy. The bolts holding the downpipe to the manifold also scared me and they should be chased to remove any burrs and prevent cross-threading during reinstallation which is a probability because the pipe is in the way and you need a long extension to get to them. But the bolts on the other flanges are a lost cause, just destroy them. Spraying PB Blaster did nothing to ease removal. I found it best to grind a notch along the nut on one side and THEN try to remove it from the bolt. A cut-off tool or Dremel would save time but not provide as good a workout! ;)

ZEUS
11/12/2009, 08:49 AM
My plan is to start on my own, I am worried about busting a stud in the manifold if it is indeed the manifold gasket. We will see.Yeah, I feel ya. You may have the same type of leak Beau and I had tho - I hope so as I see it as the easier repair. Good luck!

nfpgasmask
11/12/2009, 09:07 AM
Exhaust bolts are always rusted on there!

I must be lucky then with the Trooper. Everything came off with no issue. The upper tranny bolts were a straight up beotch to get at but nothing stripped or was rusted on too bad.

Bart

ZEUS
11/12/2009, 09:20 AM
Really!? Every time I have messed with an exhaust, things barely came apart. So Bart, where can I find the assorted pics of this overhaul you have going on?

EDIT: Oh, I found it...

nfpgasmask
11/12/2009, 09:24 AM
Really!? Every time I have messed with an exhaust, things barely came apart. So Bart, where can I find the assorted pics of this overhaul you have going on?

EDIT: Oh, I found it...

Yeah, some more here:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=33457

And on my VX site under the TROOPER section. Most of the pics I have taken though have been for my own reference and there isn't much online yet.

Bart

pbkid
11/12/2009, 10:04 AM
hey bart- you gonna add a puck spacer on top of the front suspension to help pick up some of the weight of the 3.4 swap??
btw, the trooper is looking great

nfpgasmask
11/12/2009, 10:17 AM
hey bart- you gonna add a puck spacer on top of the front suspension to help pick up some of the weight of the 3.4 swap??
btw, the trooper is looking great

I dunno, I don't think I have to. I mean, the 2.8 and 3.4 blocks are basically the same. The only real difference is the intake and TBI. I will have a bigger clutch installed and a winch up front adding weight but that's it. None of the other guys who have done this swap have mentioned adding spacers.

I still have a lot of other little mods to do once the motor is in and working correctly. I can't wait!

Bart