PDA

View Full Version : Where did the name Isuzu come from?

Mark B
11/07/2009, 01:44 PM
Isuzu is named after a river in Japan that flows through a province dotted with ancient Shinto Shrines. The company opened its doors back in 1916, when the Tokyo Ishiakawajima Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. decided to broaden its business to include automobile manufacturing. Isuzu Motors America, Inc. was established in 1975. Isuzu was a part of the SUV boom in the 1980's and 1990's, but by 2005 the company was selling only rebadged Chevy Trucks. Isuzu stopped selling automobiles in the U.S. in early 2009.

Thought this might be some interesting information on Isuzu

VXorado
11/07/2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info! Also...

Before Isuzu started selling rebadged Chevys, they had already made an initiative to withdrawl from the American market. Pretty smart considering how the American automotive industry is doing now. Selling rebadged chevys was all part of the transitional plan to stay in America for warranties.

Scott Harness
11/07/2009, 05:42 PM
Some companies also rebadged Isuzus.Honda Passport was a Rodeo.
The big Acura Suv was a Trooper.(I think) maybe a Toyota Land Cruiser.
Long ago and far away the Chevy Luv was an Isuzu Pup(mini pu)
I think the Joe Isuzu ads turned people off.Americans just didn't get it.

nfpgasmask
11/09/2009, 11:15 AM
I think the Joe Isuzu ads turned people off.Americans just didn't get it.

I also think that Toyota and Nissan kind squashed Isuzu a little as well. Both Toyota and Nissan got real strong with their SUV and Pickup lines.

But still, I really don't know how they dwindled into nothing over here. The Rodeos and Troopers were VERY successful in the 1990s.

Bart

Riff Raff
11/09/2009, 11:41 AM
Additionally; GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION (GMC) acquired ISUZU at some point in time in the past, and Isuzu became a "subsidary" company under the big corporate umbrella of General Motors. I don't know any specific details, but I know it happened long, long ago.

pbkid
11/09/2009, 11:54 AM
Additionally; GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION (GMC) acquired ISUZU at some point in time in the past, and Isuzu became a "subsidary" company under the big corporate umbrella of General Motors. I don't know any specific details, but I know it happened long, long ago.
yup, that would be my guess as to what caused isuzu's demise...GM ruining everything like always...

VXorado
11/09/2009, 03:45 PM
yup, that would be my guess as to what caused isuzu's demise...GM ruining everything like always...

+1, down with Government Motors!!!!

djvx
11/09/2009, 09:15 PM
+2, No Gov't Motors!

circmand
11/09/2009, 09:34 PM

GM aquired like 30% of Isuzu in a deal to open the US market to the Isuzu namebrand instead of being rebadged. Now 30% ownership while not a majority is enough to control the company especially when Isuzuu trusted GM. Instead of using patents and technology to put good GM and Isuzu vehicles on the road GM stifled creativity and used their authority to keep Isuzu from competing against GM. I do not imagine Obamas auto CZAR will bring any creativity to the process more like Russian style box cars with poor quality electric engines. But we all work together for the glory of the leader. Heil Obama

pbkid
11/09/2009, 11:28 PM
I do not imagine Obamas auto CZAR will bring any creativity to the process more like Russian style box cars with poor quality electric engines. But we all work together for the glory of the leader. Heil Obama

:drama:
:ot:
:hj:

lets keep on track and off the political bullsh*t eh?

VXR
11/10/2009, 02:50 AM
:drama:
:ot:
:hj:

lets keep on track and off the political bullsh*t eh?

why can't someone share an opinion???

pbkid
11/10/2009, 10:09 AM
why can't someone share an opinion???
feel free. it just seems like every discussion has to turn into the same crap of obama bashing and obama praising. gets old hearing the same thing over and over again.