PDA

View Full Version : Tire Comaprison Shopping

blacksambo
11/06/2009, 12:30 PM
Does any one have any experience with the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred, or SilentArmor versus the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos or Michelin LTX? Thx

JAMAS
11/06/2009, 12:49 PM
Does any one have any experience with the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred, or SilentArmor versus the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos or Michelin LTX? Thx

I purchased the SilentArmor about a month or so ago. I havent driven them through the snow yet, but they have been GREAT tires so far. I worked with Riff Raff to help me decide between several tires. They are quiet, look amazing, and are snowflake/mountain rated. I can't wait to get me some snow to test them out in. They have been good in the rain and on the highway. I havent had them off road yet.

I would encourage you to speak with Riff-Raff before you spend any crazy cash.

Good luck.

PittVXr
11/06/2009, 01:27 PM
FWIW I had the Silent Armors on a Wrangler two winters ago and they were awesome in the snow (as long as I was in 4 Hi). They went through plenty of unplowed alleyways and side streets with no hesitation.

Osteomata
11/06/2009, 02:55 PM
Riff Raff commentary in 3...2...1...

Riff Raff
11/06/2009, 04:26 PM

Os--- LMFAO!!!:laughing:

Blacksambo--- The G/Y Fortera TripleTred are way too soft and wear out extremely quick. The A/T Revos are great for a show-truck, but there are a lot better tires out there for the same price. The Michelin LTX is too expensive for very little performance in return.

Your best choice of the four(4) tires you mentioned is the G/Y SilentArmor; as JAMAS pointed out, which is very quiet, Snowflake/Mountain rated and will perform nicely in the NY winter snow.

Still, there may be even better choices out there that you may not be aware of and may fill your requirements better. I'll send you an E-Mail, and perhaps give you some various ideas based upon your specific tire goals.:bgwb:

etlsport
11/06/2009, 04:34 PM
the tripletred depending on the size comes with a 60k treadwear warranty.. the silent armor only comes with a 50k treadwear warranty, however if you dont keep up on your alignments/rotations you will wear the tripletreds unevenly

the silent armor is better for offroad with its high voids, and the kevlar re-enforced tread blocks, its also got a layer of noise reducers under the tread to keep it quieter on the road

the tripletred will give you the best road handling you can get regardless of the weather, it too has the severe weather snowflake/mountain symbol, however it gets you the traction via a very unique tread pattern, so it will not do very well offroad.. the other thing to think about with the tripletred is that it is rotational (you can only use it in one direction) so if you have a full sized spare, it will only work on half the vehicle

the michelin LTX I dont have much experience with, but in general i agree with what riff raff said.. they are usually over priced and every michelin ive seen for SUVs has a sidewall thats very soft

ive heard nothing but good things about the AT Revos and AT Revo2 but have not driven on them myself

sloop
11/06/2009, 05:20 PM

I've had The Revo, Revo 2, Firestone Destination A/t,Destination M/T, Transforce A/t,the Duravis And the Fuzion Hri I still have the M/Ts on it now, They all were great as Duravis is still new so they need to work out some things so pass on that one,far as Price the Fuzion was Cheapest and Just as Equal to all (except for the in appearence And Noise the M/T wins)

VX KAT
11/06/2009, 06:22 PM
We had the Bridgestone Revos on Dave's FJ for about 3 yrs and drove them about 30,000 miles before Dave got the mudder bug up his arse and he ended up lifting it and putting larger ProComp Xtreme mudders on. The Revos rank #4 on TireRacks user survey, with 72 million miles reported. Silent Armour is #3 with only 9 million miles, and Michelin AT2 is #2 with only 1.8 million miles.
My point being a ton of folks and miles have ranked the Revo pretty dang high.

The Revos were really quiet on the highway, and never had any damage from off roading, but there are better off road choices. But I gotta say, Dave and I lived in Dallas and every vacation we got we boot scooted over to New Mexico and Arizona to hit the mountains & trails....so the Revos got a lot of highway use and were really good, and good in rain.

I have the Michelin A/T2s on my 4Runner......they're just kinda plain vanilla, they're quiet, they're wearing well, they do have an aggressive sipe on the shoulder, they do ride fantastic on our dirt /rocky road....but they're still just plain vanilla to me.

Several yrs ago I had the Michelin LTXs on a Lexus RX300, they're far more vanilla and lamer that the A/T2...they're just a pretty expensive, but solid all season type tire.

Not sure what your needs/goals are for your tire choice, but thought I'd throw in some input, just my .02.

Ldub
11/07/2009, 04:02 AM
Having owned & actually driven on the A/T Revo's, I'll confine my opinion to that with which I have experience...:yesgray:

They worked great for me, low road noise, great snow traction, fairly good tread life...they seemed to be wearing well @16-18k when I sold them.:thumbup:

blacksambo
11/07/2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you very much to you all. You're great! I'll wait to see what Riff Raff comes up with as he now has my specs. Again,a big thank you.