PDA

View Full Version : Yet another wheel/tire question

RabidPony
11/06/2009, 12:17 PM
First of all, don't kill me, I swear I searched and read half of the forum looking for an answer.

I'm looking at a tire size that I haven't seen discussed along with a wheel bs/offset combo that I haven't seen used either. My question is will this wheel/tire combo fit without a lift (excluding cranking the torsion bars to level). If they will not fit without lifting, will a 1-1.5" lift do the trick? I'm ok with some minor trimming of the cladding and a little bfh work inside the wheel wells.

Also, as an afterthought, would these tires fit the stock 16x7 wheel with minimal drama?

So here are the potential/proposed items in the combo...

Wheels: Eagle Alloy Series 137 in Black w/polished lip
16x8
4.625" backspacing
+6mm offset
6 on 5.5 lug pattern

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/RabidPony98/VX/ACFD9E.jpg

Tires: Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
275/70R16

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/RabidPony98/VX/YokohamaATII.jpg

"Lift": Daystar KC09102BK or KC09103BK
1" or 1.5" spring spacers

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/RabidPony98/VX/kg09101bk.jpg

VXorado
11/06/2009, 02:54 PM
The tires will have about a 31" diameter and almost be 11" wide. I would use a 1" spacer along with the torsion bar crank to make the VX level. The tires will stick out of the wheel wells a bit because of their width. It shouldn't be hard to fit the tires but don't expect them to fit perfectly without cutting some cladding in the front wheel wells.

I believe the rims should be fine but I'm no expert on offset. Post some pics after you're done!

Osteomata
11/06/2009, 02:54 PM
I don't have an answer for your questions, but those are some sharp looking wheels.

Riff Raff
11/06/2009, 05:59 PM
RabidPony--- Your new 16x8 wheels and Yoko AT-S (31.4" O.D.) tires should fit perfectly fine on your OEM stock VX without any kind of lift (no rear spring spacers) and no front torsion bar cranks.

At worst, you may only require a tad bit of cladding trim on the very front to possibly clear the front tire "swing arc" when turning (very common). The only other point of possible rubbing might be the famous inner-fenderwell "bolt" located at the extreme bottom-rear of the driver's side front wheelwell. Should the inner-fenderwell "bolt" rub, then it can simply be removed to provide additional clearance.

Never, never "pre-lift" your VX before mounting wheels/tires. Any kind of "lifting" (TB cranks/rear springs) should only be done AFTER wheels/tires are mounted and actually test-fitted on the VX, and only then if it is determined that "lifting" is the only solution (as opposed to additional trimming and/or BFH). TB cranks and rear spring modifications should only be a last resort (unless of course you actually want a "lifted" VX purely due to the "look").

The stock VX has gobs of extra space in the rear wheelwells for a 31.4" O.D. tire. Heck, I currently run 32" O.D. tires on my 100% stock "non-lifted" VX (no TB cranks/no RS mod's). Try not to touch your front torsion bar factory settings, as this will minimize any CV issues later on. Always try to keep your OEM factory suspension set at OEM spec, unless you actually desire a "lifted" VX because of the sheer "look" of a lifted VX. Only "lift" out of necessity; not because of the "look", your CV's will thank you later.:yeso:

Please post some pictures after you have your new wheels/tires installed, as we'd like to see the finished product.:bgwb:

pbkid
11/06/2009, 07:34 PM
riff is correct...(god i hate saying that ;) )

although, with a mild lift (1-2") you would almost never have problems with your CV axles... there are many of us here that have lifted almost 3" for years with no problems.

nice wheels by the way :thumbup: very similar to my new ones, but i couldnt afford the ones with the simulated bead lock.

ps, if you do lift...... use a different size spring instead of the spacer-
most vehicles work fine with a spacer, but the VX's springs are not 'bolted' onto the vehicle, they are just held in there with pressure, so there is a slight chance that your spring could come out with adding the spacer. whereas, if you add the OME springs you wont ever have that problem unless you also change the shocks to a longer application

Ldub
11/07/2009, 12:36 AM
TB cranks and rear spring modifications should only be a last resort (unless of course you actually want a "lifted" VX purely due to the "look").

Only "lift" out of necessity; not because of the "look", your CV's will thank you later.:yeso:

I don't suppose that adding another category, for those who lift because they actually use their VX offroad would make any sense...:yes:

Using the logic that your "justification style, supported by facts" implies, all lifted VX's are mall crawlers.

Yeah, I already know...:rolleyesg

"negative ghostrider, the pattern is full"...:laughing:

By the way RP...I like the looks of those wheels, just make sure the centerbore is large enough to clear the front hubs...:thumbup: