PDA

View Full Version : If you plan on an ARB for the rear of your VX...

Triathlete
11/05/2009, 02:42 PM
...you may want to act soon (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=34348)!:yesy:

DISREGARD...WRONG AXLE/LOCKER!!!! Now back to the regularly scheduled program!

pbkid
11/05/2009, 04:20 PM
wow, that sucks....

get out the welder and make a lincoln locker :naughty:

VXorado
11/05/2009, 04:28 PM
:mady::mado2::madb2::upsetgray

I guess I will be buying one and spending more money. Thanks for the update Triathlete

pbkid
11/05/2009, 04:30 PM
I guess I will be buying one and spending more money. Thanks for the update Triathlete

once again, i have a good feeling we are gonna get along.....
go big or go home....

Triathlete
11/05/2009, 04:36 PM
:mady::mado2::madb2::upsetgray

The nice thing is that Matt is dropping the price about $300 for the final ones!:bwgy:

VXorado
11/05/2009, 05:02 PM
I saw the discount on the website. At least i'm getting a deal on this forced buy.

Kilby skid plates and ARB locker in the same week will damage the bank account for a while.

Jack- I think you're right :bwgy:

Knivx
11/05/2009, 08:11 PM
So will the aussie locker still be around? It's just an auto locker kinda like a detroit right? And it says they'll still make the standard 12 bolt ARB just not the modified. How different are the two diffs? Would one be able to take a standard 12 bolt centersection and drop it in with an ARB into our housing or is there a loss in strength? The LSD works fine for what i do for now but when my VX becomes more trail oriented i'll want a true locker and with the short wheelbase i'd prefer a selectable. (i have an auto locker in my sami and it's kinda hairy on the road at times) With only 15 available at independent and there are more of us than that that would want one we need to assess our options for the rest of us who just don't have the ability right now to get one of the last ARB's. A lincoln locker was mentioned but I'm just not sure i wanna do that as i've seen a couple break if not really done right and it doesn't allow any give at all. Speaking of that does anyone even make a spool for our axle?

Another thought there is a company called KAD i believe that does selectable lockers for the suzuki and a few others. Wonder if they'd be willing to pick up our axle or maybe already cover it? I'll have to look into this.

Anyone have any other locker options or ideas not yet mentioned?

Triathlete
11/06/2009, 09:23 AM
Modified and regular 12 bolt parts are not interchangable. The Aussie locker will still be available for now anyway...I believe they are a limited item also that Matt worked out with Aussie. There is no spool available. For a street driven vehicle "lincoln locking" has some serious downfalls in the handling department and I am sure most would agree that it is not a good idea.

VX1032
11/06/2009, 04:36 PM
Guys, this does not effect us. We do not have the modified 12 bolt rear end in our trucks. We have the same 12 bolt rear axle that 97 troopers have. ARBs will still be availble for us.

Knivx
11/06/2009, 07:20 PM
I thought the modified 12 bolts were equipped in TOD rigs?

VXorado
11/06/2009, 07:31 PM
I thought the modified 12 bolts were equipped in TOD rigs?

I thought so too... I emailed indy4x yesterday but haven't heard a reply yet. I obviously want to make sure before I buy.

NJ99VX- do you have an ARB installed?

RD85 is for the modified 12 bolt

RD44 in for 12 bolt

Can anyone confirm which one is for the VX?

pbkid
11/06/2009, 07:57 PM
For a street driven vehicle "lincoln locking" has some serious downfalls in the handling department and I am sure most would agree that it is not a good idea.

sure would be fun for a 'trail rig' toy eh?? :naughty:

Ldub
11/07/2009, 12:26 AM
Guys, this does not effect us. We do not have the modified 12 bolt rear end in our trucks. We have the same 12 bolt rear axle that 97 troopers have. ARBs will still be availble for us.

I hope you're right, otherwise, I've got an Aussie locker sittin' in my living room that ain't gonna fit...:confusedw

VX1032
11/07/2009, 10:13 AM
Modified 12 bolts are only in 98 and up troopers. They have a larger ring gear and wider rear axle than ours. The Aussie is not made for a modified 12 bolt and the fact that it fits and works in my truck, and other VX's shows that we do not use the modified 12 bolt. There is low demand for the modified 12 bolt becuase of the limited vehicle it is in. Compared with our 12 bolt, it is in more years and more products, pickup, 1st gen amigo. Like I said, modified 12 bolt is only 98 and up troopers, and the VX goes back to 96? in JDM form, so we have the older, more common axle.

Knivx
11/07/2009, 10:28 AM
Well the JDM VX's don't have the tod case or bigger engine? so maybe we got the modified? Is there a strength difference between the two then?

crotchrocket
11/07/2009, 10:29 AM
^^^^^^^^^ If true, lol @ VXorado :D :D

VX1032
11/07/2009, 12:05 PM
Actually, yes, the modified 12 bolt is a stronger axle, but very little, and getting smaller, aftermarket support. Has a bigger ring gear, and I believe it actually has stronger axle shafts, but I am not certain about that.

VXorado
11/07/2009, 02:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^ If true, lol @ VXorado :D :D

BURN! Thats not very nice.

Actually, I emailed indy4x first to make sure it would work on a VX. I haven't recieved a reply yet and thus haven't bought one. I bet I know what the reply will say.

Its too bad because the locker for our axle costs $150 more.

Triathlete
11/07/2009, 05:22 PM
Ah s*^&! I always forget which we have. When you find out set me straight. :confused:

pbkid
11/07/2009, 05:27 PM

Actually, I emailed indy4x first to make sure it would work on a VX. I haven't recieved a reply yet and thus haven't bought one. I bet I know what the reply will say.

just give em a call. they are very friendly and helpful at indy4x. i was bored one day and called and picked their brain for like 2 hours about compatibility stuff (mainly CV issues, body lift issues, SAS issues, lockers()

Ldub
11/08/2009, 05:23 AM

Well...that's ONE way of lookin' at it...:smilewink

From where I'm sittin', I'll be happy to know that we have the standard corporate 12 bolt, as that's what Matt sold me an Aussie locker & a used open carrier for...:yesgray:

ZEUS
11/09/2009, 09:27 AM
I thought I understood all this until you guys got me all confused. Here is a thread that may help or hinder your thoughts. http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=988940&Main=412844

Knivx
11/09/2009, 01:23 PM
So according to that thread i understand it as us having the modified 12 bolt. Good find Zeus but yeah it doesn't completely answer it in my mind. Here's another somewhat weird theory, if the modified is stronger then if i were isuzu it'd be in the tod rigs before any other rigs. Kinda like the majority of v8 full time 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokees have the D44 rear and the six cylinder have the D35. Yeah unrelated to isuzu but still a theory. And when ya think about it if they were in the tod troopers then it wouldn't be any extra retooling or anything for isuzu to throw them under our tod VX's. So maybe the US spec has the modified and the JDM's have the standard by that logic. Maybe i'm over complicating this.

VX1032
11/09/2009, 02:10 PM
Guys, you are all making this to complicated. If we did not have the standard 12 bolt, we would not be able to use the aussie, or the 4.77 gears out of the 89 RS troopers, like we already are, and I am currently running.

The modified 12 bolt does not apply to our vehicle.

ZEUS
11/09/2009, 02:17 PM
Knivx - I thought the same - we have the "modified". However, I have the 4.77's and the 3rd members that came with them. The splines match from axle shaft to carrier as well as the axle diameter so it HAS TO BE of the same type. That tells me we have the non-modified wide-track version of the 12-bolt. Which means we are similar in strength to a Dana 44 and not the Dana 60 that has been mentioned before. As you mentioned though, that doesn't correlate with gains in power... soooo... weird.

Knivx
11/09/2009, 02:37 PM
Well thats kinda disheartening. Not sure why. The whole comparable to D60 strength would be nice. Oh well i guess i'll just build up my 9 inch for when i sas.

Ldub
11/10/2009, 08:25 PM
Well thats kinda disheartening. Not sure why. The whole comparable to D60 strength would be nice. Oh well i guess i'll just build up my 9 inch for when i sas.

True on the extra strength point, but on the other side of the coin, has anyone ever heard of an Isuzu Corp.12 bolt breaking?

I've seen a few posts regarding issues with the front 10 bolt, but can't remember any past issues with the rear axle.

edit:
With the exception of a few noise issues.

ZEUS
11/11/2009, 07:17 AM
True on the extra strength point, but on the other side of the coin, has anyone ever heard of an Isuzu Corp.12 bolt breaking?

I've seen a few posts regarding issues with the front 10 bolt, but can't remember any past issues with the rear axle.

edit:
With the exception of a few noise issues.Well I think the concern is that our axle compares to a Dana 44 which is only suitable up to 35" tires. So few have actually gone past 33"ers to actually test the durability of the smaller 12-bolt. If a person like BigSwede has been running on 35"ers, 5.38's, lockers... it is proof it can be done tho. It is also true there would be some overkill in having a rear axle as strong as a 60 while the front is only as strong as a Dana 30. However, when you get into talking about SAS, deep gearing, lockers, and 35 to 37 inch tall tires you really want the strength of a 60 in the rear. :yeso:

Ldub
11/11/2009, 08:21 AM
Well I think the concern is that our axle compares to a Dana 44 which is only suitable up to 35" tires. So few have actually gone past 33"ers to actually test the durability of the smaller 12-bolt. If a person like BigSwede has been running on 35"ers, 5.38's, lockers... it is proof it can be done tho. It is also true there would be some overkill in having a rear axle as strong as a 60 while the front is only as strong as a Dana 30. However, when you get into talking about SAS, deep gearing, lockers, and 35 to 37 inch tall tires you really want the strength of a 60 in the rear. :yeso:

Good point, I hadn't thought of tires past 33's as an issue requiring the extra strength.:thumbup:

E-ZooZoo One
11/11/2009, 10:09 AM
The modified 12 bolt does not apply to our vehicle.

^^ 100% TRUE, period.

The VXs (all of them) were equipped with the earlier, non-modified 12-bolt rear axle -- and you can take that to the bank.

[-edit-]

Now, my 1998 Acura SLX, on the other hand...

[-/edit-]

Cheers!
Smiley

Triathlete
11/11/2009, 10:17 AM
Fixed original post!