PDA

View Full Version : Titan Exhaust Jack

Marlin
11/03/2009, 03:53 PM
I had the opportunity to use my Titan Exhaust Jack twice at the Uwharrie meet. The first time was when I ripped the inner sidewall on one of my tires open. I was on slippery clay and rocks and on a slope, so no using a conventional jack. I used the airbag and learned a very valuable lesson: the exhaust jack does not work if your exhaust is not in good shape. I have a bad manifold gasket on the driver's side:( The next use was on a Rodeo that had a rock through its front A-arm. They tried snatching it, there was no moving that truck. It took about 30 seconds on the exhaust, and I had the whole drivers side of the Rodeo off of the ground. The jack is a lifesaver, takes up very little space, works anywhere and on any vehicle and can lift your vehicle on almost any surface and from any spot. The frame, sliders, axle, you name it, you can lift with it.
I am ordering the air hose adapter so I can fill with my CO2 bottle until I get the exhaust fixed.
If you are looking for a portable jack to bring with you, I cannot imagine using anything else. There are no other options as far as I know, any type of farm jack requires somewhere to attach it, and does not work in mud, snow, sand, dirt and so on. Plus it rusts, is heavy and has to be stored somewhere outside the VX and cannot be used on most vehicles.
I just thought I would share my experience with the air bag style jack.

Riff Raff
11/03/2009, 05:38 PM
MARLIN--- Thanx for sharing your actual "on-the-trail" experiences with the Titan Exhaust Inflatable Air Jack. It's good to know that the truck's exhaust system should be in good working condition (no leaks) to provide adequate inflation.

The thing that's so cool about the Titan is it acts like a "giant pillow" and can be used in a multitude of recovery operations. From jacking-up a vehicle on uneven, slippery muddy terrain to pushing a vehicle sideways out of harms way from a big tree or boulder. Plus, it won't hit you in the back of the head in a roll-over like a regular metal jack will. The Titan is way better than a metal Hi-Lift jack, as the Titan is multi-versatile and the metal Hi-Lift jack is not.

Marlin, your experiences should clear-up any doubts people had about the Titan. Video's of the Titan in use can be easily viewed on YouTube. I think I hear the sound of a lot of metal Hi-Lift jacks being thrown away in trash cans right about now.:yeso:

rowhard
11/03/2009, 07:01 PM
Insert 2 cents

There is a 2 and 3 ton model. For the extra 10 dollars, go for the 3 ton, you will gain 7 inches of lift

Triathlete
11/03/2009, 07:48 PM
Insert 2 cents

There is a 2 and 3 ton model. For the extra 10 dollars, go for the 3 ton, you will gain 7 inches of lift

Come on now...size isn't everything!:bwgy::laughy:

PK
11/03/2009, 08:16 PM
Come on now...size isn't everything!:bwgy::laughy:

I dunno - an extra 7" is a fair bit.:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

PK

Scott Harness
11/04/2009, 06:23 AM
MARLIN--- Thanx for sharing your actual "on-the-trail" experiences with the Titan Exhaust Inflatable Air Jack. It's good to know that the truck's exhaust system should be in good working condition (no leaks) to provide adequate inflation.

The thing that's so cool about the Titan is it acts like a "giant pillow" and can be used in a multitude of recovery operations. From jacking-up a vehicle on uneven, slippery muddy terrain to pushing a vehicle sideways out of harms way from a big tree or boulder. Plus, it won't hit you in the back of the head in a roll-over like a regular metal jack will. The Titan is way better than a metal Hi-Lift jack, as the Titan is multi-versatile and the metal Hi-Lift jack is not.

Marlin, your experiences should clear-up any doubts people had about the Titan. Video's of the Titan in use can be easily viewed on YouTube. I think I hear the sound of a lot of metal Hi-Lift jacks being thrown away in trash cans right about now.:yeso:

x2 thanks

samneil2000
11/04/2009, 07:45 AM
Agree. I'd pay that 10 bucks for 7 more inches... :o

I dunno - an extra 7" is a fair bit.:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

PK

ZEUS
11/04/2009, 08:00 AM
I had the opportunity to use my Titan Exhaust Jack twice at the Uwharrie meet. The first time was when I ripped the inner sidewall on one of my tires open. I was on slippery clay and rocks and on a slope, so no using a conventional jack. I used the airbag and learned a very valuable lesson: the exhaust jack does not work if your exhaust is not in good shape. I have a bad manifold gasket on the driver's side:( The next use was on a Rodeo that had a rock through its front A-arm. They tried snatching it, there was no moving that truck. It took about 30 seconds on the exhaust, and I had the whole drivers side of the Rodeo off of the ground. The jack is a lifesaver, takes up very little space, works anywhere and on any vehicle and can lift your vehicle on almost any surface and from any spot. The frame, sliders, axle, you name it, you can lift with it.
I am ordering the air hose adapter so I can fill with my CO2 bottle until I get the exhaust fixed.
If you are looking for a portable jack to bring with you, I cannot imagine using anything else. There are no other options as far as I know, any type of farm jack requires somewhere to attach it, and does not work in mud, snow, sand, dirt and so on. Plus it rusts, is heavy and has to be stored somewhere outside the VX and cannot be used on most vehicles.
I just thought I would share my experience with the air bag style jack.Chris, that's cool to hear it worked out for you. I have thought about them but trust them as much as I trust an air mattress. Not much. What spooks me about them is "when" you get a hole in it you won't know until it's time to use it. It does come with a patch kit, right?

The Titan is way better than a metal Hi-Lift jack, as the Titan is multi-versatile and the metal Hi-Lift jack is not.

You are so off here, Riff... Just because this pillow worked for Marlin does nothing to convince me I need one. The Hi-Lift/handyman jack is more versatile than any other jack ever created - the pillow does just ONE thing, it lifts a RUNNING vehicle. The Hi-Lift can act as a winch/come-along/hoist; it can be used as a clamp; the handle has been used by many to sleeve a bent tie rod; I have used it to keep a broken axle shaft from sliding out of its housing; I have used one to straighten a bent tie rod... You can even use it to help you build a fence. The Hi-Lift will never be replaced by a pillow as the preferred off-road jack.

vt_maverick
11/04/2009, 08:33 AM
the pillow does just ONE thing, it lifts a RUNNING vehicle.

... unless you have the "air hose adapter so I can fill with my CO2 bottle until I get the exhaust fixed" which I assume would allow you to lift without having the vehicle running. Otherwise I agree, there's no magic bullet for every conceivable purpose. But it does sound like an air jack would work for most conventional applications (i.e., not extreme offroading).

BigSwede
11/04/2009, 11:31 AM
BTW ARB makes a similar jack called the "Bushmaster X-jack". Costs more, though. Dunno if it is built better or what...generally ARB makes really good stuff.

pbkid
11/04/2009, 11:46 AM
You are so off here, Riff... Just because this pillow worked for Marlin does nothing to convince me I need one. The Hi-Lift/handyman jack is more versatile than any other jack ever created - the pillow does just ONE thing, it lifts a RUNNING vehicle. The Hi-Lift can act as a winch/come-along/hoist; it can be used as a clamp; the handle has been used by many to sleeve a bent tie rod; I have used it to keep a broken axle shaft from sliding out of its housing; I have used one to straighten a bent tie rod... You can even use it to help you build a fence. The Hi-Lift will never be replaced by a pillow as the preferred off-road jack.
x2

... unless you have the "air hose adapter so I can fill with my CO2 bottle until I get the exhaust fixed" which I assume would allow you to lift without having the vehicle running. Otherwise I agree, there's no magic bullet for every conceivable purpose. But it does sound like an air jack would work for most conventional applications (i.e., not extreme offroading).
x2

BTW ARB makes a similar jack called the "Bushmaster X-jack". Costs more, though. Dunno if it is built better or what...generally ARB makes really good stuff.
x2

ya, what they said... glad the pillow worked well for you though chris. and im sure there are many applications that it would work much better than a hi-lift. so, my choice is to carry both :naughty:

Marlin
11/04/2009, 05:07 PM
In response to getting a hole in it, I dunno about that. It is extremely thick, and if you had a doubt about sharp edge protection, there are those wonderful things in your truck that are rubber and carpet, I think they are called floor mats? Those could be used for protection if you deemed it required. I love mine, and will not be carrying a hi-lift jack, this way I can help others, even if they aren't driving a hi-lift friendly vehicle. I don't plan on building a fence anytime soon with my jack, and as for winching out, with an airbag, you just lift the truck and put something underneath, problem solved.:) But as always, to each his own. :bgwb: (At the meet, lots of people had farm jacks, I wwas the only one with an airbag, and half of them had never even seen one or heard of one, and you know how I like to roll, that alone made it worth it, them scratching their heads in doubt after trying to yank free a Rodeo, and less than 2 min later, I had him out and was putting my toy away:rolleyes:)

Riff Raff
11/04/2009, 05:22 PM
MARLIN---:heart:

ZEUS---:disturbed

L-DUB---:_confused

'Nuff Said.

mikemol
11/04/2009, 05:50 PM
Will it work if you have a VX with dual exhaust?

Marlin
11/04/2009, 06:18 PM

Hmmm, I believe so, but I would check out their website to see. You might have to block one side during use?

Like I said, I am picking up the air compressor adaptor.

rowhard
11/04/2009, 07:25 PM
As I mentioned in an other post about air jacks. Been used on rough terrain and aircraft recovery since WWII if not before. All we did in my 10 years of Crash Recovery when we used them was add a half inch thick felt pad top and bottom, never had a problem. They will lay flat in the back of your VX and are great to use as a knee pad when and if you need it.

PK
11/04/2009, 08:48 PM

If your exhaust still has the cross over pipe, you will have to stick a carrot up the other side.
If there is no cross over pipe, you can run your air bag from either side.

PK

ZEUS
11/04/2009, 09:18 PM
In response to getting a hole in it, I dunno about that. It is extremely thick, and if you had a doubt about sharp edge protection, there are those wonderful things in your truck that are rubber and carpet, I think they are called floor mats? Those could be used for protection if you deemed it required. I love mine, and will not be carrying a hi-lift jack, this way I can help others, even if they aren't driving a hi-lift friendly vehicle. I don't plan on building a fence anytime soon with my jack, and as for winching out, with an airbag, you just lift the truck and put something underneath, problem solved.:) But as always, to each his own. :bgwb: (At the meet, lots of people had farm jacks, I wwas the only one with an airbag, and half of them had never even seen one or heard of one, and you know how I like to roll, that alone made it worth it, them scratching their heads in doubt after trying to yank free a Rodeo, and less than 2 min later, I had him out and was putting my toy away:rolleyes:)Hey, I'm not trying to "burst your bubble" - PUN INTENDED! I never said this is a no-use aparatus, I'm sure it would come in handy on several occasions, like at children's birthday parties :bgwb: ...and for a VX and other SUV's with no "real jack points" and thin, light-weight tires in specific situations. ;) But anyway, I wasn't talking to you! :p You got the unit, you used it, and you like it, good for you! I am talking to the only other guy that is as typically long-winded as either one of us! I am simply defending the Hi-Lift against the, "I have obviously never used either type of lifting device, nor been in a situation where I needed to, yet I maintain the Hi-Lift is not nearly as multi-versatile as this wonder-pillow, mindset". I mean, I truly realize my postings can be intimidating as I always write in a 'justification style, supported by facts' method... but really, all Riff can come up with is a heart and an exploding head? :sigho: Truly disappointed, Brian... :yeso:

Chris, I hope the Titan never lets you down... er, until you need to be let down. :)

pbkid
11/04/2009, 09:31 PM
Chris, I hope the Titan never lets you down...

thats why i say throw a hi-lift on your roof-rack or behind your seats and when you bubble pops you have a 'backup' ;)

Ldub
11/05/2009, 02:43 AM

ZEUS---:disturbed

'Nuff Said.

Oh if only....:rotate:

Hey, I'm not trying to "burst your bubble" - PUN INTENDED! I never said this is a no-use aparatus, I'm sure it would come in handy on several occasions, like at children's birthday parties :bgwb: ...and for a VX and other SUV's with no "real jack points" and thin, light-weight tires in specific situations. ;) But anyway, I wasn't talking to you! :p You got the unit, you used it, and you like it, good for you! I am talking to the only other guy that is as typically long-winded as either one of us! I am simply defending the Hi-Lift against the, "I have obviously never used either type of lifting device, nor been in a situation where I needed to, yet I maintain the Hi-Lift is not nearly as multi-versatile as this wonder-pillow, mindset". I mean, I truly realize my postings can be intimidating as I always write in a 'justification style, supported by facts' method... but really, all Riff can come up with is a heart and an exploding head? :sigho: Truly disappointed, Brian... :yeso:

Chris, I hope the Titan never lets you down... er, until you need to be let down. :)

:yesgray:...:thumbup:...:yesgray:

.......:laughing:.......

Marlin
11/05/2009, 03:51 AM
As I mentioned in an other post about air jacks. Been used on rough terrain and aircraft recovery since WWII if not before. All we did in my 10 years of Crash Recovery when we used them was add a half inch thick felt pad top and bottom, never had a problem. They will lay flat in the back of your VX and are great to use as a knee pad when and if you need it.

Felt pad is a good idea, I actually keep a mover's blanket, a real one, not one of the crappy Harbor Freight ones, in the. back. It is big enough to cover the whole rear of the VX, the undercarriage if I have to lay on the ground, and makes a nice cushion as well.

You boys play nice while I am at work.:argue:

ZEUS
11/05/2009, 07:53 AM
You boys play nice while I am at work.:argue: :) It's all in jest.

Triathlete
11/05/2009, 01:43 PM

'Nuff Said.

Get a room!:laughy:

Marlin
11/05/2009, 04:53 PM
Get a room!:laughy:

:eek:

I only roll like that when I am out to sea, "its not gay if you are underway", of course,guys in the yards have modified it with "its not gay if you are surrounded by grey"

Ldub
11/05/2009, 04:55 PM
:eek:

I only roll like that when I am out to sea, "its not gay if you are underway", of course,guys in the yards have modified it with "its not gay if you are surrounded by grey"

That's good to know...:yesgray:

:thanx:

vt_maverick
11/24/2009, 12:53 PM
Found a good price on one of these and thought I'd pass the link along. Looks like around $110 incl. shipping.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-29403.htm