PDA

View Full Version : Abs tone ring

erland
11/01/2009, 08:04 AM
I just put new R1 rotors, ceramic pads, and ss brake lines on yesterday and found the abs tone ring was cracked through on the pass front, my abs light has been on for a while is this the likely cause for the light?

TechnoPope
11/02/2009, 06:48 AM
erland,
I was doing the same 3 mods last week and came across the same problem. I am still waiting on the ring parts. I was told by my mechanic that it would certainly cause the abs light to stay on.

VX crazy
11/02/2009, 08:02 AM
could someone post a picture of what this looks like......

Ldub
11/02/2009, 08:32 AM
could someone post a picture of what this looks like......

You'll see it at about pic 9 - 10 down from the top here...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11324

erland
11/12/2009, 09:56 AM
ok I have the new tone ring installed seemed to not fit properly, made a little noise when first starting to go but quits when gets up to speed. How can I get the abs light to go off?

Ldub
11/12/2009, 10:04 AM
ok I have the new tone ring installed seemed to not fit properly, made a little noise when first starting to go but quits when gets up to speed. How can I get the abs light to go off?

IMO, it shouldn't be making any noise at all, there is most likely a fitment issue. (sounds like wrong part from your description)

I just installed my old tone rings on new rotors, there is no noise at any speed.

erland
11/13/2009, 07:09 AM
Called R1 concepts, they are sending me a new rotor, the bolt holes are misaligned.

Greasemonkey
11/13/2009, 01:28 PM
Hi whats a tone ring ?
in the uk we have 'exciter rings' are we talking the same ?
bolted to the brake disc with three bolts
any trooper or rodeo with abs will have the same ring
regards
Steve

Ldub
11/14/2009, 05:06 AM
Hi whats a tone ring ?
in the uk we have 'exciter rings' are we talking the same ?
bolted to the brake disc with three bolts
any trooper or rodeo with abs will have the same ring
regards
Steve

Yep...tone ring, exciter ring, speed sensor ring...they all have a nice "ring" to em'...:yesgray:...:smilewink

Ldub
11/14/2009, 05:08 AM
Called R1 concepts, they are sending me a new rotor, the bolt holes are misaligned.

I'd be interested to know what was making contact to cause the noise, I hope it wasn't the $peed $en$or...:confusedw

TechnoPope
11/16/2009, 07:42 AM
I just did the same upgrades and had to replace one of the abs rings. The job is done and the brakes work fine, but the ABS light is staying on and the ABS pulse is not evident. No codes are detected and attempting to clear the codes does not reset the light. All of the sensors at the wheels are sending signals. Fuses are back in place and functional. I left the VX with the mechanic to fiddle with, but he is short of ideas that won't get into a lot more money. Could the ABS module be bad? Any ideas? Thanks.

erland
11/16/2009, 08:33 AM
I'd be interested to know what was making contact to cause the noise, I hope it wasn't the $peed $en$or...:confusedw

I believe the new rotor holes were misaligned causing reing to not sit flush causing a slight bow so teeth do not line up with sensor properly.

TechnoPope
11/16/2009, 08:38 AM
erland,
Were you able to get your ABS light to turn off?

erland
11/16/2009, 05:47 PM
I just installed the new rotor from r1 concepts (supplied at no charge!) tone ring dropped right in unlike with other rotor. I need to drive it to see if the light will go off. I would assume it needs to go a certain # of miles before it would decide to reset. If it does not go off I will have to take it in for diagnosis.

pbkid
11/16/2009, 06:21 PM
I just installed the new rotor from r1 concepts (supplied at no charge!) tone ring dropped right in unlike with other rotor. I need to drive it to see if the light will go off. I would assume it needs to go a certain # of miles before it would decide to reset. If it does not go off I will have to take it in for diagnosis.

hey just a quick 2 cents...... disconnect your negative battery terminal for about 15 minutes, it will reset your computer and help your ABS light come off

erland
11/18/2009, 10:49 AM
Already tried that still on.

Ldub
11/18/2009, 10:54 AM
Not 1OO % sure, but this may be of some help...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939&highlight=ABS+code

erland
11/18/2009, 12:53 PM
Not 1OO % sure, but this may be of some help...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939&highlight=ABS+code

Thanks I will give it a try next week, seems to be just the info I needed.