PDA

View Full Version : Easy Task for Most of You

nemo
10/26/2009, 09:34 AM
OK I just got the VX about a month back. I have been checking things out and started doing a little work on it. I need some help on a simple task. My CD changer is stuck - what's new. I want to take it out and try to get it unjamed -have tried all the things mentioned on the forum but still stuck. My problem is how do I get the covers off? I have checked the manuals but they don'e reall show me so I can understand. I have removed the screws on each side from the gear shift console to the back of where the changer is but nothing seems to move much. Anyway I do better with pictures - or seeing it done - than I do from reading. I am an OLD guy so the eye sight is not as good as it once was and that don't help. My VX is a 99. Any help would be apprecated and if this sounds confusing just ask me questions I will be glad to answer any and all to help get this done.

Thanks in Advance

handeeman
10/26/2009, 09:41 AM
I've had mine for a little over a year, the P.O.(previous owner) asked me if I got any of his CD's out of the player could he have them back. So I'm in the same boat, but i haven't even tried to get them out yet. lol. Waitin for colder weather.

nemo
10/26/2009, 09:46 AM
I don't know who the PO was so I don't have to worry about that. I just would like to get them out so I can see if the fix I read on this site works - Fix was to only put 5 CD's in it.

tom4bren
10/26/2009, 09:52 AM
Look here (it's in the How2 section)

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=17

nemo
10/26/2009, 10:21 AM
OK I will go back and see it I know what JAFO was talking about. I one of those guys that do better with pictures. Thanks for the help - by the way I did try and search for it but never found the posting you showed me.
Thanks

ZEUS
10/26/2009, 10:35 AM
Nemo, I'm a bit confused. Are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the dash so that you can remove the changer or are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the changer itself?

tom4bren
10/26/2009, 10:46 AM
How2's don't pop up when you search the forums.

I seem to remember workmeister having a good thread on dash removal but I couldn't find it.

VX KAT
10/26/2009, 11:16 AM
Gee, I didn't think anybody ever succeeded at "fixing" the CD player at all...the only fix is to yank it out and put in a new Head Unit w/CD and put a nice cubby box where the CD player was. Now mine "works fine!" :p
I even got a heavy metal headbanger CD out of the deal!

Edit...I had a stereo shop do all of it...as I'm not qualified.....

nemo
10/26/2009, 02:29 PM
Nemo, I'm a bit confused. Are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the dash so that you can remove the changer or are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the changer itself?

Zeus, I need to find out how to get the covers off of the CD changer and the "thing" below - a rounded panel with nothing on it. I have reviewed the manuals and read what I can find but I know it must be really simple just over my head.....:) I have removed the screws on each side of the CD changer and tried to remove the shift cover but something is holing it in place. Since it is all jamed in there tight fit it is hard figure out which comes out first.

nemo
10/26/2009, 02:35 PM
How2's don't pop up when you search the forums.

I seem to remember workmeister having a good thread on dash removal but I couldn't find it.

OK I read the post and went out and looked at my VX. There appears to be about 7 screws holding the dash trim in place. I can't see how that will help get the changer (and piece below) out? Will continue to check it out.

SlowPro48
10/26/2009, 03:13 PM
The trim around the CD changer just pulls out. Give it yank - you'll see. Once you remove the trim piece, you'll see the screws you need to remove in order to get the CD changer out. You don't need to remove the "rounded panel" below it - that's just a cover for the powertrain control module.

pbkid
10/26/2009, 03:38 PM
The trim around the CD changer just pulls out. Give it yank - you'll see. Once you remove the trim piece, you'll see the screws you need to remove in order to get the CD changer out. You don't need to remove the "rounded panel" below it - that's just a cover for the powertrain control module.
:thumbup:
yup he's right... the 'silver' part of the dash around the changer just unclips and pulls off...

ZEUS
10/26/2009, 03:56 PM
Zeus, I need to find out how to get the covers off of the CD changer and the "thing" below - a rounded panel with nothing on it. I have reviewed the manuals and read what I can find but I know it must be really simple just over my head.....:) I have removed the screws on each side of the CD changer and tried to remove the shift cover but something is holing it in place. Since it is all jamed in there tight fit it is hard figure out which comes out first.
Oh ok. I took out my CD changer and added a CB in its place. I don't remember it being difficult at all so I'm puzzled about your issue. The roundish cover under the changer hides a computer. There are four tabs sticking out of it, two on top and two on the bottom (all hidden of course). Put all 8 fingers on the top of the cover (try to get your outermost fingers as far back along the corners as you can), apply some even gentle pressure downward and begin to pull it away from the dash; the top two should let go by doing this. Move your hands down along the sides making sure the cover doesn't go back in place. You should now be able to unhook the lower two tabs as well and slide it out. Replacing it can be a bear sometimes too. You shouldn't need to remove it to get to the changer though if I remember correctly... :) Good news right!? It sounds to me like you have already removed that lower bezel (that goes around the changer and lighter) from the dash and have taken a look at how the changer is mounted behind that. I think you may have to remove the whole dash bezel to get the outer "U" shaped part of the dash off to get to the sides of the changer. Don't forget the screw that is behind the glove box door. I would leave that little bubble cover under the changer in place until you get the other parts of the dash out of the way, then decide if you want to see what's behind it.

nemo
10/26/2009, 04:04 PM
OK SlowPro48 and pbkid I am going to check that out tomorrow. I hope it is that easy. I was concerned if I started pulling on things I would end up breaking something and need to buy some parts.

Ldub
10/27/2009, 12:03 AM
OK SlowPro48 and pbkid I am going to check that out tomorrow. I hope it is that easy. I was concerned if I started pulling on things I would end up breaking something and need to buy some parts.

It is that easy, but be gentle. I've removed several in the salvage yard,(Rodeo dash, same as VX) & even going slow, managed to break one of the tabs off the back on about half of them...:smack:

8-10 year old plastic gets a bit brittle...:yesgray:

nemo
10/28/2009, 10:33 AM

SlowPro48 and pbkid what you said is correct. I took a deep breath and started. I removed the ash tray and cig. lighter first then put a little pressure on the back side of the trim where the ash tray came out and it began to come out. Took a little more guts but the whole thing came out and there was the changer with it's four screws holding it in. I removed it and tried everything mentioned on this site to shake the cd's loose but not luck. I then unpluged the changer and brought it inside to work on. I did remove some of the metal plates while still in the car and a couple little pieces of plastic came out - looks like someone had been here before and not done good. I posted pictures on photobucket (can't post pictures here yet) for all of those who are like me and do better with pictures than words (http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/etnemo/). Want to thank everyone for their input and I have not decided what I will do it the cd is trash (I know parts would be impossible to get).

nemo

MSHardeman
10/28/2009, 11:03 AM
nemo, if you can't get your CD changer fixed and you want to keep the original look, there are a few people here who have sold, or are looking to sell, their old CD changers.

handeeman
10/28/2009, 11:48 AM
Here's a pic of Nemo's VX . Nice huh ?
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/etnemo/th_2009Oct5Shot2.jpg

nemo
10/28/2009, 01:14 PM
Here's a pic of Nemo's VX . Nice huh ?
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/etnemo/th_2009Oct5Shot2.jpg

Yea and it runs and rides great too.............:)

nemo
10/28/2009, 03:25 PM
nemo, if you can't get your CD changer fixed and you want to keep the original look, there are a few people here who have sold, or are looking to sell, their old CD changers.

MSHardeman, I am going to take it apart (saw post about that here somewhere) and see what has happened then decide. I never have had a cd changer and don't really listen to the radio that much so will see what I find. I figured there might be some for sale since I read some replaced with better units.

deermagnet
10/28/2009, 06:27 PM
This is a least worth a look-
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-91-156-isuzu-indash-single-cd-player-1998-to-2003.aspx (http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-91-156-isuzu-indash-single-cd-player-1998-to-2003.aspx)

If you Google CDT-107MP3, it looks like that unit is used in Isuzu's and the Honda Passport made by Isuzu, along with Toyota's.

It still may be a risk, but that's a nice price if it's a simple plug 'n play deal. A single disc player should be more reliable.

If someone has the guts to give this unit a try, we'd all appreciate it. :yesy:

Mark

nemo
10/29/2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks deermagnet, I am not sure what I will do yet. I may put my CB in there or may try a CD changer but since I am retired (dirt poor) I have to get the money before I can get anything else. The wife wants me to get rid of my Sami before I spend any more moeny. Thanks again will keep the site info in case I do replace the changer.