PDA

View Full Version : Hallowharrie 09

Marlin
10/25/2009, 02:10 PM
Here are a few clips from Hallowharrie 09 in Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina.
The ledges my wife filmed are the hardest obstacles in the park, if you search youtube, there are a ton of videos. I was lucky (as usual) and made it up both ledges with no strap, and on a bald spare tire. I ripped open one of my nice new AT2s about 1 hour before these videos, changed the tire on the trail with my airbag, which came in handy later on that day for a Rodeo that was pinned on some rocks and strapping him out would not work. Yippee for my gadgets!!!

Here is a good shot of the bumper....it worked like a champ, I pushed up on poser rock, full weight on the bumper and drove up it, and back down, the bumper held, no bending, no deformation...success
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWN8m-m1ds

I will add a few more videos, they are a couple of minutes long, so youtube is still processing.

Marlin
10/25/2009, 02:49 PM
Another video, for those that are lurkers,or regulars, this ledge is the exact same one that Billy (Triathelete) posted up of the Jeep liberty that was locked that had so much trouble...I hate to boast, but I would like to attest my consistently lucky success (I just started wheeling in April of this year) to the VX and to good throttle control. I cannot imagine wheeling in anything other than a hard soled boot, which allows perfect pedal positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJhoN9z32Ec

PK
10/25/2009, 04:06 PM
Marlin, that second video is a nasty little ledge.
Very impressive.

Well done in getting up so smoothly.:thumbup::thumbup:

PK

Riff Raff
10/25/2009, 04:18 PM
MARLIN--- Excellent videos!!! You also picked the perfect lines of attack on the obstacles and went very slow and methodical. Awesome job, my man. You Rule!!!

VX-157
10/25/2009, 04:30 PM
Brilliant work in that second video mate. love the look of your front bumper. i did notice (or it could have just been my eyes) that your radiator is exposed. I personally would be worried about entry angles and damage to it.:yeso:

Triathlete
10/25/2009, 04:33 PM
I was lucky (as usual) and made it up both ledges with no strap, and on a bald spare tire. I ripped open one of my nice new AT2s about 1 hour before these videos

MMmmmmm...light weight tires:bwgy: (I just had to)

Looks like a good time! Buy the little lady a tri pod...i'm dizzy!:rotate:

Marlin
10/25/2009, 04:57 PM
Here is the other ledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrWm7uUvVY8
As for the tripod, if you saw what she had to hike up to get a decent spot...she was a trooper for sure.

My next video series will probably be on either BFG KM2 MTs or the Procomp AT extremes off of my expy. I will not trail a light weight tire again. They are the perfect cosmetic/weekeind warrior AT tire though.

Scott Harness
10/25/2009, 05:01 PM
Great driving!! The VX still amazes me. Think about the new MT K2.imho They are great,even on the street.Low noise.Way better than the old mt's.

Scott Harness
10/25/2009, 05:02 PM
OOPS! missed your post

tomdietrying
10/25/2009, 05:14 PM
Chris,
Way to represent!
Could a VX wihout your bumper mod made it up those ledges without scratching the front cladding?
Peace.
Tom

Marlin
10/25/2009, 05:30 PM
Chris,
Way to represent!
Could a VX wihout your bumper mod made it up those ledges without scratching the front cladding?
Peace.
Tom

Yes, but not the same lines I took. NJVX99 was there, he made it up one of em, but took a different line.
You definitely could not do poser rock, I rode the bumper halfway up that rock and subsequently back down. It did exactly what I planned it to do:)

On a side note, the spare tire never touched the ground, even on the vertical "poser" rock you will see in my gallery. :) It would have to get past the draw bar first.
here is a link to the first half of photos we took: My two boys had a blast in the back of the VX and slept on half of the trails, they can sleep anywhere.
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/

Marlin
10/25/2009, 05:43 PM
Here is the final video I have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaRifve9yTQ

pbkid
10/26/2009, 03:13 PM
nice marlin, looks like fun!

love the look of the bumper with the improved height and distance from the front..... looks x100 better..

VX1032
10/28/2009, 03:55 PM
Well, I made it up both ledges, though the first was straped up to keep the front down. I did not want to give it too much gas as I was a litt;e closer to the wall and knew the front left tire was gonna be in the air and with the front locker and an 8 hour drive home, I did not want to break the CV.

On the second ledge I wanted to go up the line you had, but JoeD, who I competely trust as a spotter, wanted to take me up the far right line to see what it was like for the trucks to follow. Looked a little easier to control on your line.

Good car control, I couldn't watch you on any of the ledges though since I was constantly at the end of a tow strap in the front trying to move others up the trail.

Had a good time, and I got a little rash on the front drivers bumper trying to get JoeD past me in between the ledges so he could tow strap for a bit.

ZEUS
10/29/2009, 08:49 AM
...I hate to boast... BUWAHAHAHA! Yeah right! You love to boast as much as I love to torment! :bgwo: I hate to encourage you... :p but I was impressed with what you could do with your VX in Moab and your skills on the East coast look about the same. That area looks like some fun! BTW, your bumper looks waaaay better tucked up in it's new spot. Thinking about doing any blending with the fenders at all? It looks like that's all you need to do to finish it all up.

Marlin
10/29/2009, 09:42 AM
:ot::clap:
BUWAHAHAHA! Yeah right! You love to boast as much as I love to torment! :bgwo: I hate to encourage you... :p but I was impressed with what you could do with your VX in Moab and your skills on the East coast look about the same. That area looks like some fun! BTW, your bumper looks waaaay better tucked up in it's new spot. Thinking about doing any blending with the fenders at all? It looks like that's all you need to do to finish it all up.

Thanks.....I think.:_thinking
I don't know what to say, no insults....I am at a loss for words, which very rarely happens.

As for the bumper, it does look a lot better I agree, and I got some comments at the meet as well on the huge improvement. I was thinking of cutting the fenders to follow the bumper contour. Maybe start a new bumper in the winter using the same shape as a template and go all 1/8" and 1/4" plate.
I do need to get the skid plate under there, including the radiator cover. But I am happy with the way it looks right now. I have gasket to go around the headlights I need to put in, and that will help a bit as well.
I had fun at Uhwarrie, and the wifey is real close to wanting to go to Moab pending her back surgery in December. I keep trying to get her to drive, but she won't drive mine. She drove Joe Darlington's SAS Rodeo over the weekend, but his power steering was broke, so it was virtually impossible for her. She drove a Jeep for a bit as well, so we are getting there. Baby steps.
:clap::ot:

ZEUS
10/29/2009, 12:18 PM
I wasn't off topic at all, I just mentioned some stuff that was placed around the on-topic stuff! :) One more around-the-on-topic question... did you ever get that Aussie locker sent to you? It sounded like you were getting a discount (used?) locker? And... LOL at the baby steps comment, that's a good 1! Daniel 1 looked like fun, I think I deleted that part from my previous post on accident. I like watching spotters in vids cuz sometimes you just have to wonder what they're thinking...

Marlin
10/29/2009, 12:21 PM
I wasn't off topic at all, I just mentioned some stuff that was placed around the on-topic stuff! :) One more around-the-on-topic question... did you ever get that Aussie locker sent to you? It sounded like you were getting a discount (used?) locker? And... LOL at the baby steps comment, that's a good 1! Daniel 1 looked like fun, I think I deleted that part from my previous post on accident. I like watching spotters in vids cuz sometimes you just have to wonder what they're thinking...

No locker, I ended up buying that trailer I had at Moab. 5 new wheels and tires, solar power, deep cycle battery, inverter, new paint, new lights=no locker or diff drop:(

baby steps, she can drive my kids Jeep hurricane power wheels, about the same quality I am sure...:)

ZEUS
10/29/2009, 12:39 PM
No locker, I ended up buying that trailer I had at Moab. 5 new wheels and tires, solar power, deep cycle battery, inverter, new paint, new lights=no locker or diff drop:(

baby steps, she can drive my kids Jeep hurricane power wheels, about the same quality I am sure...:)
Yeah, I knew about the trailer, sucks about the locker. I'm still wondering how it will act on the street and the trail.

baby steps... I bet they are NOT of the same quality as I have never seen anyone have problems with their Power Wheels! :bgwo: Oh wait... damn it! :mado: