PDA

View Full Version : HVAC blower motor problem...HELP

carlymac
08/05/2003, 07:54 PM
Hello all,
I've been away from the computer for the last several weeks getting the new house all squared' away. Anyhow, the house is in tiptop shape but my VX has a problem. The blower motor stopped blowing (HUMMM he said stopped blowing) I removed the blower motor cleaned and lubed it, and hooked the motor directly to the battery she spun like a hurricane under my hood. So that leads me to believe the motor is good which is good news because a new motor costs $165. I did a further search and somone posted about the resistor behind the glove box on there VX going bad and the fix cost around $30. I found the resistor but am unsure how to test it. If anybody has had the blower problem fixed or has any input PLEASE post your thoughts Thanks for the help.......carlymac sweating in Tennessee;Dr;

SGT.BATGUANO
08/05/2003, 09:50 PM
For the resistor.......

If you have a meter, you can test continuity or resistance. Just read across the resistor. It should not read infinite resistance.

If you have a continuity test light (incandescent not neon ), attach one lead to chassis ground other end to blower side of resistor. With ignition and blower switches "on". the light should, at least, glow. Some switch postions might bypass the resistor so you may not get readings in all positions.

For the switch......

With meter, ground black lead, place red lead on wire going into the resistor (coming from switch) check readings with ignition switch "on" and blower switch in various positions (other than "off" ) should read between 6-13.8 volts. Again, it may not read in all positions.

With light, follow above proceedure except light should at least glow.

carlymac
08/06/2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the info Sarge, I did notice when I flipped the fan switch to any of the speed settings the engine made a different noise, kinna like the A/C compressor was coming on under the hood is this a sign that the switch itself is good? When I flipped the fan switch to the off postition the noise stopped.
So, if the motor is good and the switch is good is the only other component the resistor? I have a eletrical troubbleshooting manual for the '99 VX courtesey of johnnyapollo and it mentioned the blower is powered by the main and blower fuses both of which are good and that the power is routed through the anti-theft system which is still working. This leads me to believe the resistor is the culprit.
Has anyone had there resistor replaced due to a blower problem? Thanks again carlymac

SGT.BATGUANO
08/06/2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by carlymac
under the hood is this a sign that the switch itself is good?

Probably, yes. Depending on where your thermostst was set it couldv'e called for the compressor to come on. The reason being, I believe the "auto" position is the first to the right of the "off" position, next is "low,....,med....,high".

So, if the motor is good and the switch is good is the only other component the resistor?

Unless there's more than 1 resistor, but I'm guessing yes.

Has anyone had there resistor replaced due to a blower problem? Thanks again carlymac

I'm sure I saw a post , either here or Vmag, where someone had been checking one out. Try the search functions of the sites.

andy454
08/06/2003, 07:55 PM
Make sure to check the power and ground to the blower. A common problem with most vehicles is the connector to the blower melts due to the amount of current in the system. Usually the connector inside the vehicle. I just fixed my friends ford last week for this same problem. Just something to check for.

carlymac
08/21/2003, 09:18 AM
I have solved the blower motor problem with my VX. The blower resistor had gone bad. If your blower motor stops working here are the steps I took to diagnose and correct the problem.
---DIAGNOSIS---
1) Check the fuses, including the main fuse (EB-16) and BLOWER fuse (EB-6) both located in the fuse/relay box under the hood. Between the battery and right fender.

If good move to next step

2) Check grounds, they will be a wire that's bolted to the body. One ground is located in the left rear of the engine compartment, on the inner fender panel. Just behind the windshield washer fluid reservoir. The other ground is located behind the right kick panel. Inside near the passengers floorboard.

If the grounds are tight/ wires are connected go to next step

3) Check blower motor for debris, the blower is located behind the glove box and can be removed by removing 4 phillips head screws from under the dash. The motor also has a two wire connector that needs to be unplugged. Clean the "squirrel cage" of any debris and give it a shot of lubricating spray. The motor can be tested by using jump wires connected directly to the battery. (jump wires are any short lenth of wire that usually has alligator clips on each end)

If the motor is clean and works by direct energizing move to next step.

4) Check blower resistor, located behind the glove box. First , release the glove box door by pulling the side walls of the glove box inward untill the entire glove box assembly can swing down. This exposes 4 10mm bolts 2 on each end of the piano hinge that holds the glove box. Remove these bolts. Directly behind the metal support you just removed is a six sided device with a large connector plugged into it and two phillips head screws holding it in place this is the blower resistor. Remove the screws and remove the resistor. By testing you can detirmine if the resistor Is bad.
With all the connecters (exept the resistor) in place, the blower in place and the VX RUNNING. Begin grounding the spades inside the connector that came from the resistor, ground with a jump wire or test light. The fan control switch applies ground to the blower resistors for the desired blower motor speed. as the blower control switch moves from OFF to position 4, resistors are bypassed. as the resistance to ground is decreased, blower speed increases. when the blower switch is in position 4, all the resistors are bypassed and the blower motor runs at the highest speed. Laymans terms the motor always has power and is turned on by adding ground, the resistor only allows a little ground for low and more ground for the higher fan speeds. Beside the spades on the resistor are letters L= low, ML= med.low, MH= med. high and H=high speeds. As you ground the L (low speed) spade make sure the blower switch (on the dash) is in the low speed position ( one position past off) the blowwer motor should blow at the lowest speed. move through spades ML, MH, and H making sure to move the blower switch according to the speed your testing. If the blower blows at all speeds this means the resistor is bad. The resistor cannot be fixed but can only be replaced. The part # is 8-97234545-0 and costs around $40.

To test the blower control switch (on the dash), I simply turned it on with the A/C button pushed and listned for the A/C compressor to engauge under the hood.

This HOW-TO was done on my 1999 VehiCROSS, but I'm unsure as to whether it will work on the 2000-up models due to the automatic A/C controls. My GUESS is it will but, I'm not sure

Cool again in Tennessee, carlymac
;Db; ;Db; ;Db;

Captain Maynard
02/28/2005, 01:19 PM
:eek:

I had NO IDEA where to go or what to do concerning my dead heater blower until I came here seeking advice! Knowing that every subject under the Sun hath been philosophized about on this forum, I performed a quick search and discovered this thread!

I almost ordered a new heater blower until I read that no-one here with this problem had a broken blower motor and almost everyone had experienced a fried resistor! I did not even know where to locate these parts under the glovebox or what they looked like!

I removed the blower motor and hooked it up to a motorcycle battery and it was fine! Carleymac even identified what size socket I needed to get to the resistor! I ordered a new resistor via a discount rate with FREE SHIPPING (thanks to the advice of one of Vibe's threads from THIS forum).

This forum saved me from ordering a $160.00 part that I did not even need! It also saved me much time in finding the location and appearance of the blower motor and the resistor! THANK YOU, BROTHERS & SISTERS of VehiCROSS.info!!!

AMAZING!

:eek: The Captain Hath Spake Upon Ye! :eek:

CM

KristyRemo
05/12/2006, 01:30 PM
I'm sure I saw a post , either here or Vmag, where someone had been checking one out. Try the search functions of the sites.
mine goes out from time to time i just tap under the dash on right side where the blower is with my foot and i comes back on.

keepercoach
11/02/2006, 06:36 AM
if you have gone through all those steps nothing worked and you are blowing fuses check the ac speed selector switch, my problem was as simple as cleaning the grease off of the connectors and between the connections and reapplying new grease.the problem was fixed and now i have an extra manual ac controller out of a 99 VX tested good if there are any takers.

mikemol
08/02/2013, 11:29 AM
I have a JDM climat control that looks similar to US VX from 2000-2001. The fan works only at high speed. If I turn it to medium or low it just doesn't blow. Since it's working on high I would assume the fuses are Ok and the resistor is ok too. What could be the problem?

Triathlete
08/02/2013, 05:18 PM
Fan switch?