PDA

View Full Version : Installing new rear speakers is so much fun!

Triathlete
10/23/2009, 06:58 PM
NOT! What a PITA!

Got a set of Polk Audio 461's. Since these are 4x6 I had to remove the speaker mount to enlongate the hole. These speakers sound great back there. Not super loud but a nice rear fill. Both my stock rears were blown and flapping...making some ungodly sounds (and no, it wasn't the music choice:bwgy:).
Next up will be front speakers when I find a deal then a small (10") sub and amp.

rowhard
10/23/2009, 07:24 PM
yea Billy, photo's I've seen, doesn't look like much fun. Think it is one of those things that you gather all of the stuff you want to do, speakers, sound deadening, fix any leaks, what have you and do it once, and only once and be done with the F'in job

Sprey
10/23/2009, 07:27 PM
x2

But with the guides on here made it alot easier :D.

I put in some kicker 25w (wish i never brought them in someways)

there louder than my 6.5s in the front which is anoying as, i had to set the fade to the front more to compensate.

im sure everyone here that has done work in the back of the vx knows how much of a pita to get the plastic interior to stick back to the wall properly.

Grif
10/23/2009, 08:47 PM
My installer managed to fit a pair of 6.5's back there... dont ask me how, i was suprised, and they sound great. At first he was like "you dont want too much back there, the soundstage should be up front" but i have matching 6.5's in front and back, and when he heard them e agreed, the rear fill was perfect. Also have a 12inch sub in the spare tire well in a custom enclosure. Sounds great.

pbkid
10/23/2009, 10:51 PM
My installer managed to fit a pair of 6.5's back there... dont ask me how, i was suprised, and they sound great. At first he was like "you dont want too much back there, the soundstage should be up front" but i have matching 6.5's in front and back, and when he heard them e agreed, the rear fill was perfect. Also have a 12inch sub in the spare tire well in a custom enclosure. Sounds great.

well done.... the only thing i didnt like about the factory soundstage was the 'low' feeling of the sound coming from below... so i moved the rears up above to get the sound to feel more focal ;)

but ya billy.... pita. do EVERYTHING you wanna do back there at the same time. because you arent gonna want to ever take it apart again.

etlsport
10/24/2009, 07:36 PM

pretty much my exact setup, 6.5" components (boston acoustics) in the front, 6.5" two ways in the rear (rockford fosgate) factory spot and a custom built box w/ a 12" sub (rockford fosgate) in the rear door, but ALL of my speakers are amplified