PDA

View Full Version : Performance Engine Rebuild

logman
10/22/2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Everyone,

I had a few questions regarding rebuilding my engine. I am having a place near me "More Power" located in Grand Rapids, Michigan give me a quote on rebuilding my engine.

No, my engine is not dead, just hit 120k last week. I use quite a bit of oil... but I check it EVERY time I drive it.

My questions are regarding the performance of the stock engine, vs what I could get out of it if I had a performance engine shop rebuild it. Has anyone here had their engine rebuilt? What did you have done to it?

I was debating buying a supercharger (if I can find one), but I don't want to spend 2 grand on a S/C and then blow up my engine (upper engine heat from more fuel + oil burning). I will then be looking at a rebuild on my engine ontop of the 2 grand S/C.

I would be happy with any performance gain I could get from a performance rebuild. Any thoughts on this? I have done a search and couldn't find anything :(

Gussie2000
10/22/2009, 08:23 PM
Bigger cylinder heads,reprograming the ECU's software,etc but i have no idea if engine tuning parts are on the market for our 3.5L.

Also adding a more powerfull cranking system that offers an higher compression (more air per fuel ) will improve performance,but again,no idea if there any of those aftermarket parts for our engine in that category.

The 3.5L engine has a compression ratio of 9.1:1 or something similar at sea level and in order to gain more performance you got to pop up the compression @ no less then 12.1:1 + according to my knowledge,but i can be wrong.

As of today the only item that surely improved the VX's performance is the supercharged.

Hotsauce
10/22/2009, 08:33 PM
Cost per hp is going to be very high on this car. You can't add more than about 40hp without running out of fuel map on the ecu

And because of the weight, even if you add 100 hp, its will just be less slow.

Also bear in mind that out transmission is not far from its torque limit on the stock engine.

John C.

Riff Raff
10/22/2009, 08:44 PM
:noo:Hmmm, a basic engine rebuild is gonna' cost in the ballpark of $3K--$4K. With the rest of your VX's non-engine related components having that many miles on it as well is asking for something else to break later on. Your VX would probably quickly turn into a can-of-worms and become a serious money-pit. Economically speaking, it might be best to sell your VX and get another vehicle (VX or other) that's more sound by jacking-up your VX's radiator cap.:yeso:

nfpgasmask
10/22/2009, 09:21 PM
I have to ask, if your VX motor is ok right now, why mess with it? Are you just trying to solve the oil burning issue?

A well cared for VX motor should go to at least 200k I would think.

Bart

WormGod
10/23/2009, 07:21 AM
In this case, I would just buy a performance truck. The cost will far outweigh the gains. And I fear the gains (if any) will have your VX dead or in the shop quite occasionally. Were it my $$, I would just go with a simple rebuild with some updated/new guts.

Baldwin
10/23/2009, 09:28 AM
Steve Jennes is selling his supercharger. He used to work for Isuzu. Hit him up.

etlsport
10/24/2009, 07:40 PM
iirc the max torque rating on our transmission/ tcase is 285.. factory is 230, so ya cant add TOO much

logman
10/26/2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I am starting to think I should just keep it the way it is, and just make sure I don't run it low on oil. It runs great, and I had the timing belt and valve shims done at 100k, so I should just leave it alone. With my luck I would loose a ton of money on it.

crotchrocket
10/26/2009, 01:17 PM
keep it the way it is mate, not worth the money or hastle, for 2k you could get a motorbike for your speed fix!!! :) I consider the VX engine agricultural, its entirely different to a performance v6

On the other hand if anyone finds a V8 that fits, i want one!!!!!! (there was a V8 isuzu!)

logman
10/28/2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do... its fast enough. I already have a bike! Check out my profile pictures, it matches the style of my VX I think.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0078.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16034)