PDA

View Full Version : Highly considering selling

VXIRONwoMAN
10/22/2009, 01:55 PM
I hate to write this. It makes me want to cry, but I cannot afford to keep my Proton. It's paid off, but with the ongoing "VX" maintenance, having to pay for school, being (basically) in between jobs, just finished remodeling our bathroom (which HAD to be done), I am in the hole more than my pockets can bear. I don't want to just give her away, but I do want her to go to a caring home. I am just throwing the line out there. I haven't set this in stone yet. Trying to get advice from the fam is all. Having a two VX home isn't easy...it's like having twins! YIPES!

What she's got:
2001, Proton, 96k miles, 32" BFG A/T's, OME Springs, Roof rack, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Window Tint, New Bilstein shocks (less than 500 miles), Full size spare, Weather Tech Wind deflectors, debadged.

She's in good condition and drives great. The 6-disc changer just went out of commission, and the ABS is tempermental.

Since day one I have:
Regular (Mobil1) oil changes (every 3k or 3 months)
New washer fluid hoses
New Hood popper cable (it was rusted)
Enabled the alarm system through key fob donations (Dub and Biju)
New Serpentine Belt
New Water pump pulley
New U-Joints
New Left Front Axel Barring
Replaced fuse box relay (I believe that was because
the dimmer switch didn't work)
Replaced battery terminals
...more to come, gotta get the print out from the mechanic.

Do you think I can get a decent price for her? Suggestions for a new, 4WD, foreign (Preferrably Japanese) SUV? I want something under warranty and reliable... Need 4WD in Chicago, winter SUCKS!

Please help!!!

circmand
10/22/2009, 02:34 PM
I hate to write this. It makes me want to cry, but I cannot afford to keep my Proton. It's paid off, but with the ongoing "VX" maintenance, having to pay for school, being (basically) in between jobs, just finished remodeling our bathroom (which HAD to be done), I am in the hole more than my pockets can bear. I don't want to just give her away, but I do want her to go to a caring home. I am just throwing the line out there. I haven't set this in stone yet. Trying to get advice from the fam is all. Having a two VX home isn't easy...it's like having twins! YIPES!

What she's got:
2001, Proton, 96k miles, 32" BFG A/T's, OME Springs, Roof rack, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Window Tint, New Bilstein shocks (less than 500 miles), Full size spare, Weather Tech Wind deflectors, debadged.

She's in good condition and drives great. The 6-disc changer just went out of commission, and the ABS is tempermental.

Since day one I have:
Regular (Mobil1) oil changes (every 3k or 3 months)
New washer fluid hoses
New Hood popper cable (it was rusted)
Enabled the alarm system through key fob donations (Dub and Biju)
New Serpentine Belt
New Water pump pulley
New U-Joints
New Left Front Axel Barring
Replaced fuse box relay (I believe that was because
the dimmer switch didn't work)
Replaced battery terminals
...more to come, gotta get the print out from the mechanic.

Do you think I can get a decent price for her? Suggestions for a new, 4WD, foreign (Preferrably Japanese) SUV? I want something under warranty and reliable... Need 4WD in Chicago, winter SUCKS!

Please help!!!

you can save money making new car payments as opposed to the occasional VX repair. Sure if you did not need a new car anything you got for your VX could go toward bills but I think buying a new car just puts you deeper in the hole IMHO

VXIRONwoMAN
10/22/2009, 02:42 PM
you can save money making new car payments as opposed to the occasional VX repair.

YES! Because I just got my car from the mechanic Friday after he had it for 3.5 weeks. During that 3.5 weeks I was driving Gill's and he was taking his Harley to work. Winter is coming and he can't drive the bike in winter. My VX had to be taken back to the shop this morning because the problem isn't fixed. Soon I will be renting a car because I can't keep taking Gill's! Plus, Gill needs new injectors!!! His CEL light just came on. We don't wrench we write checks remember... At least with a new ride it will be under warranty and cost around the same if not less. Little problems would be covered. I decided to take the money I saved up for school and put that toward a new car and take out student loans next semester, since everyone else has student loans. I need something reliable, I would hate to get stranded during winter, AGAIN! :( If I had a steady job, I would keep it. But my pay depends on tips, I bartend. And I can expect a car payment, I can't expect repair bills...

circmand
10/22/2009, 03:18 PM
YES! Because I just got my car from the mechanic Friday after he had it for 3.5 weeks. During that 3.5 weeks I was driving Gill's and he was taking his Harley to work. Winter is coming and he can't drive the bike in winter. My VX had to be taken back to the shop this morning because the problem isn't fixed. Soon I will be renting a car because I can't keep taking Gill's! Plus, Gill needs new injectors!!! His CEL light just came on. We don't wrench we write checks remember... At least with a new ride it will be under warranty and cost around the same if not less. Little problems would be covered. I decided to take the money I saved up for school and put that toward a new car and take out student loans next semester, since everyone else has student loans. I need something reliable, I would hate to get stranded during winter, AGAIN! :( If I had a steady job, I would keep it. But my pay depends on tips, I bartend. And I can expect a car payment, I can't expect repair bills...

looks like you have done the math. I hope I did not upset you mentioning it?

Scott Harness
10/22/2009, 03:26 PM
seriously think about it,a car payment will probably be in the $300-$400 a month range for something decent!!
I can't think of anything else I would want.Maybe FJ or Rubicon as far as 4wd if I go back to a car... a VW GTI that would make my 8th VW:yesb:

VX crazy
10/22/2009, 04:36 PM
My opinion, and we know about those, is that its still cheaper to fix the VX, I say get a meet together and get some nice wrenchers to help you guys! We would do that here in Texas!

Also, to get something comparable and under warranty, easy $400 a month.....

Maybe you are just frustrated right now because of recent problems.......and it may not be a good time to make a decision?? LOL

CrnCnn
10/22/2009, 04:47 PM
It sounds like a stress thing, worrying about a potential problem that you may not have money for vs. a consistent payment that you know you have to come up with.

What if you still get student loans and save the money for potential repairs? Just a thought.

I am getting annoyed with my VX too. Just always seems to be something and it gets frustrating. That is one reason we didn’t get one for Cari.

pbkid
10/22/2009, 05:02 PM
:(
horrible news cece... sorry to hear it. but i can completely understand it.

the VX is just plainly not the most efficient vehicle to own if you dont have the money to take care of it.

although i do hope that there is another VX in your future once financial problems cease.

i know they are kinda dumpy cars for convienences but the saturns are actually decent cars, and you can get a 'redline' edition vue that runs almost 300hp. with a 100k mile warranty. and used they run about 15k. i was looking into these when i decided to sell my VX.

but then a wonderfully maintained 4runner just fell into my lap. and yes, its boring as hell to drive but i have had it for a month and the only thing i've done is charged the battery up. and dont forsee any other problems. i even came out 5k up on the deal (which definately helps with school costs). and that also means that i get to spend a little on some toys for it, which is fun.

hope you can get something that you enjoy ;) at least a little bit...

Ldub
10/22/2009, 06:02 PM
seriously think about it,a car payment will probably be in the $300-$400 a month range for something decent!!
I can't think of anything else I would want.Maybe FJ or Rubicon as far as 4wd if I go back to a car... a VW GTI that would make my 8th VW:yesb:

It sounds like a stress thing, worrying about a potential problem that you may not have money for vs. a consistent payment that you know you have to come up with.

What if you still get student loans and save the money for potential repairs? Just a thought.

I am getting annoyed with my VX too. Just always seems to be something and it gets frustrating. That is one reason we didn’t get one for Cari.

:(
horrible news cece... sorry to hear it. but i can completely understand it.

the VX is just plainly not the most efficient vehicle to own if you dont have the money to take care of it.

although i do hope that there is another VX in your future once financial problems cease.

i know they are kinda dumpy cars for convienences but the saturns are actually decent cars, and you can get a 'redline' edition vue that runs almost 300hp. with a 100k mile warranty. and used they run about 15k. i was looking into these when i decided to sell my VX.

but then a wonderfully maintained 4runner just fell into my lap. and yes, its boring as hell to drive but i have had it for a month and the only thing i've done is charged the battery up. and dont forsee any other problems. i even came out 5k up on the deal (which definately helps with school costs). and that also means that i get to spend a little on some toys for it, which is fun.

hope you can get something that you enjoy ;) at least a little bit...

X2...I know that ya gotta do what ya gotta do Lil' Sister, but give it some more thought.
I know you won't be gone gone, you'll still get to live vicariously by channeling the GilL Man's VX...:smilewink
But seriously...:confused:

ZEUS
10/22/2009, 06:02 PM
YES! Because I just got my car from the mechanic Friday after he had it for 3.5 weeks. During that 3.5 weeks I was driving Gill's and he was taking his Harley to work. Winter is coming and he can't drive the bike in winter. My VX had to be taken back to the shop this morning because the problem isn't fixed. Soon I will be renting a car because I can't keep taking Gill's! Plus, Gill needs new injectors!!! His CEL light just came on. We don't wrench we write checks remember... At least with a new ride it will be under warranty and cost around the same if not less. Little problems would be covered. I decided to take the money I saved up for school and put that toward a new car and take out student loans next semester, since everyone else has student loans. I need something reliable, I would hate to get stranded during winter, AGAIN! :( If I had a steady job, I would keep it. But my pay depends on tips, I bartend. And I can expect a car payment, I can't expect repair bills...Nuh uh, I bet you're really just hiding the fact you're pregnant! :p

BTW, when you mention perhaps selling your VX to someone, maybe you don't want it to seem like it's going to break down again... :bgwo:

Just buy your Ironman back from dad! :)

pbkid
10/22/2009, 06:15 PM
BTW, when you mention perhaps selling your VX to someone, maybe you don't want it to seem like it's going to break down again... :bgwo:

lol, probably a very valid point ;)

Y33TREKker
10/22/2009, 07:24 PM
Maybe you are just frustrated right now because of recent problems.......and it may not be a good time to make a decision?? LOL
2nd that one too. But, you could always list the VX for sale to see what kind of interest there might be, and since it usually takes awhile to find a potential buyer anyway, you'd be able to give the current situation more thought in the meantime.

There's another way to look at this anyway. Rather than be sad that life is conspiring to try to make you sell something you obviously don't want to sell and throw in the :whiteflag:, get angry that life is conspiring to try to make you sell something you obviously don't want to sell and FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!! :)

LittleBeast
10/22/2009, 09:38 PM
I have definitely thought the same thing many of times, as most of us here have probably thought, but it is not only what kind of money you will be loosing making a new car payment it is the money lost in the investments you made on your VX. Once a mod goes onto a vehicle you will never see that money back, but you don't loose the value personally unless you sell it. $300-$400 payment every month on a new (used) car would pay for lots of rentals and lots of repair bills on a paid for car. At this point it just sounds like you are frustrated and tired of dealing with car "issues". Which is totally understandable, we all here have had those moments when the VX was in the shop and we were planning on how to sell it, but just remember those first few moments behind the wheel of the newly fixed VX, remember that feeling, no car will ever be perfect, no car will ever be maintanence free, it is your choice which car to gamble with and invest into, my choice for a long time will be my paid for VX :) We totally understand your thought process though ;)

Ldub
10/22/2009, 10:09 PM
I have definitely thought the same thing many of times, as most of us here have probably thought, but it is not only what kind of money you will be loosing making a new car payment it is the money lost in the investments you made on your VX. Once a mod goes onto a vehicle you will never see that money back, but you don't loose the value personally unless you sell it. $300-$400 payment every month on a new (used) car would pay for lots of rentals and lots of repair bills on a paid for car. At this point it just sounds like you are frustrated and tired of dealing with car "issues". Which is totally understandable, we all here have had those moments when the VX was in the shop and we were planning on how to sell it, but just remember those first few moments behind the wheel of the newly fixed VX, remember that feeling, no car will ever be perfect, no car will ever be maintanence free, it is your choice which car to gamble with and invest into, my choice for a long time will be my paid for VX :) We totally understand your thought process though ;)

Dude said it well...:yesgray:

nocturnalVX
10/22/2009, 11:01 PM
PROS:
1 ~ New toy excitement! :dance:
2 ~ Less fear of breakdowns, and a warranty just in case... :dan_ban:
3 ~ Known monthly payments
4 ~ Slight improvement in gas mileage
5 ~ More bells & whistles
6 ~ $$$ spent to keep VX in good shape will never be recouped :_brickwal
7 ~ The Dubster (and everyone else here) will continue to love you! :heart:

CONS:
1 ~ Not owning an ISUZU VehiCROSS anymore... :sighy:
2 ~ Savings & $$$ from sale of VX used for down payment :_huh:
3 ~ Keep fixing stuff and soon it will be brand new again! :_steering
4 ~ $$$ can't equal emotional value of VX :drool2:

I know we have talked quite a bit about this, but I wanted to chime in here at VehiCROSS.info... My humble opinion (I know... everyboby has them) is that you do what makes you happy. Life's too short to be bummed. Get a new ride if you don't want to keep pouring $$$ into the VehiCROSS. A new ride will cost more, but it will be worth more money and peace of mind. We still have mine, and your old Ironman that Luie has. The fact that you have fixed so much on this VX is a plus. Any new owner will be glad you have had all this stuff done. That you want the peace of mind of a newer ride is WAY understandable. That's why I got a Harley... to replace my Ducati Monster. The Monster is AWESOME (when running well), but the HOG is better in every way (except leaning WAY over into corners & pulling wheelies). I once traded a 1991 5.0 Mustang LX for an '88 Formula Fiero (which I still wish I had, but am even more glad I got the VX). Bottom line is that you need to do what's best for you. If I, or your VX family, can help make this easier... kewlness.

VXIRONwoMAN
10/23/2009, 01:02 AM
I may just be ranting, I hope that is what I am doing... But I am so incredibly frustrated!!! I keep trying to want to fix my VX and I DO, but I feel it is just a money pit. I love it more than it loves me! :_confused The trust is gone in our relationship. I have seen this before with my Dad and his DeLorean. He is a fanatic for his Delorean like we all are for our VX. He had a 1981 DeLorean and dumped all kinds of cash into it, fixing piece after piece, nearly completely restoring the thing. Only to get more problems, just like I keep getting with my VX, no matter how much love and affection I give it, it just keeps :evil: taking and taking. He soon sold his 1981 to get our house and soon after that got a 1983!!! Can you see the relation here??? :_thinking And did it all over again. Paid about 13k for the car and put at least 13k into it in repairs. REPAIRS meaning new tranny 2 or 3 times ($6k) only warrantied for 6 mos. Complete engine rebuild, well the only thing he didn't replace was the front and rear axels. I love my Dad, but I don't want to make the same mistakes he did. He just sold his Delorean for $15k, he's at least $11k in the hole...

:_wrench:I already got one axel berring (sp?) on my VX fixed!!! I have put 5k into my VX in 2 years and that doesn't include what I am going to pay when and if I get my baby back this time. And that is just maintenence:bomb:, not cosmetic stuff... I can't even do the cosmetic stuff I want to because crap keeps popping up or popping off or just popping! Every time I take it into get an oil change I go in with a LIST of thing to fix. Though it looks mighty good up on the mechanic's lift! By the time I do fix everything on it, I fear, the cycle will begin to repeat itself... :_brickwal

Sell VX: 10k
Sell VX roof rack: ???
Sell VX rail covers: ???
school savings: 8k
finance: 10k (not too bad) about $200-$250/mo.

New FJ: :naughty: Taller than Gill's VX, Eat into school savings and not worry about even the itty bitty problems because...New Car Factory warranty, or big ones...Lifetime Drivetrain warranty, Locking Diff., cosmetically sound, But it doesn't come in LEATHER! Part are readily available. Moab is in the horizon.

Fix VX: Eat into school savings, and never get it back because the VX will never sell for what I keep putting into it. And continue to try and work overtime to cover the interest on my credit card bills that stacked up from even more repairs. Mine defintely can't make it out to Moab...

Just for clarification,

No one has/will offend me on your comments on here. I am just flustered with this and all the other craziness going on. I appreciate all of your input.

No I am NOT pregnant!!! Though that did make me laugh and is good grounds for getting a new "bigger" ride!!!

Though the Saturn Sky looks totally awesome, I would not survive winter though (that's the only Saturn I would wan to get...) Don't mean to thread jack my own thread, but didn't Saturn get excommunicated???

This is EXACTLY how I feel: :disturbed

VX crazy
10/23/2009, 04:57 AM
If your looking at a new FJ with locking diff, your looking at more than the 20k I see by your calculations.....more like almost 30k. Jay has after market leather in his FJ, that thing rocks! AND 35 inch tires......not sure why he isnt posting pics.......Cece if you saw his pics you would be out the door to the dealership......but he also has mucho $$$ into it......so ANYTHING can become a money pit....

WormGod
10/23/2009, 07:07 AM
To keep it in perspective, I think it really boils down to what is it costing annually to maintain the VX vs what a car payment would be. 9 times out of 10, the car payment overshadows the previous. I think last year alone, I spent no more than $300 total on my VX. Sure wish I were able to pay that "a year" for my STi, heh. I guess it really comes down to what all "you" are having to do. If it's all that much, maybe the problem isn't the VX.... but how you are using it? Just throwing it out there. *shrug*

I think you are just bummed about the VX and what it takes to keep one healthy. Mine bums me a LOT, especially since the S/C went in. But, I am hard on a car and I modify them before I even get my first oil change, so I am quite used to staring at CELs and diagnosing for hours on end in the garage (I clock more hours a month in my garage than I do in my bedroom... sad). I have debated MANY o' times about selling my VX but then I take her out for a ride, just me and her. Somewhere far away and quiet. Sure enough, we bond again and I suddenly fall in love all over again.

It's paid off though. Surely you can man-up and hold on a bit to save up for a down payment on a DD. Put that ISUZU gem in the garage for Sundays and when Robb Report tells the world that the VX is worth $1billion, heh.

VX4EJR
10/23/2009, 07:44 AM
Funny...I was thinking along the same lines with the title of this thread just recently after noticing more and more wear on different things in the VX, mods or parts I haven't had money or time to replace or do, the somewhat costly job just to do maintenance for those who do all they can do using nothing but the best fluids/materials, and then my ABS light came on with a price tag of $3200 total to replace the module (ABS problem is not something I'd do myself but then again could just ignore it and not have ABS brakes?).
Like everyone else here, it's probably a love-hate relationship over time. There are days I get in the thing and simply love driving it, and days I want to cash it in for something new and better. Problem for me is, I take a few steps back from the VX and look at it...and realize there's still nothing out there that is as cool and sensible (on the outside) as the VX. So in the end, I am on a treadmill running in place and going no where with leaving this ride. Until the day it completely leaves me, if you know what I mean. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

VXIRONwoMAN
10/23/2009, 09:34 AM
To keep it in perspective, I think it really boils down to what is it costing annually to maintain the VX vs what a car payment would be. 9 times out of 10, the car payment overshadows the previous. I think last year alone, I spent no more than $300 total on my VX.

Sure wish I were able to pay that "a year" for my STi, heh. I guess it really comes down to what all "you" are having to do. If it's all that much, maybe the problem isn't the VX.... but how you are using it? Just throwing it out there. *shrug*

...(I clock more hours a month in my garage than I do in my bedroom... sad).

It's paid off though.

Put that ISUZU gem in the garage for Sundays and when Robb Report tells the world that the VX is worth $1billion, heh.

But you are one of the lucky ones that can WRENCH! If I lived in California with my Dad this baby wouldn't be costing me so much, but I don't. Take that $300 in parts and double if not more for labor...

It isn't user error either. I bought this car abused and wasn't informed about it. It was said to be in good condition. That was a LIE! DAY 1 I found out tranny had never been flushed and they couldn't recall the last oil change. I didn't know the U-Joints were nearly shot too. He blamed the vibrations I felt on the off-road tires. Got to Cali from the long ride home from AZ and turned out it had no lube in the drive shaft! It took all the grease we could give it!

I take care of this baby better than any of the previous owners. I know that VX's are in need of constant maintenence, this is my 2nd one...But for some reason my Ironman was way more reliable. I know why though... I bought it from a loving original owner who still had the warranty!

Problem for me is, I take a few steps back from the VX and look at it...and realize there's still nothing out there that is as cool and sensible (on the outside) as the VX. So in the end, I am on a treadmill running in place and going no where with leaving this ride. Until the day it completely leaves me, if you know what I mean. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

SERIOUSLY! When I got it back from the shop the 1st time and coming back from class saw it sitting all by itself in the last end spot in the back of the parking lot and was like "DAMN you look GOOD!"

But then it is a stab to the heart when you put your heart and soul into a vehicle that you can't drive because it is constantly in a garage. Not my garage! I figured if we have to dump money into one of the 2 VXs in our garage it should be Gill's because he is the original owner and we know it's history.

It's like I adopted a dog that looked really cute and was sweet at the pound; and once we got home he started ripping my house apart. I wouldn't want to put it back in the pound... but I wouldn't want to keep it...

vt_maverick
10/23/2009, 10:49 AM
I'll chime in here since I went through a similar experience last fall. I was at the very end of a divorce, which cost me about $15K in lawyer fees alone. Plus lawyers want their money up front, so I was charging everything on my credit card just to stay afloat. Bottom line was I found myself into the lawyer for about $5K and into the credit card for about $7K. Every night I thought about where I was going to get the money, and every morning when I walked out to my nearly paid off Inifiniti G35 coupe I couldn't help but think selling it was the answer. It broke my heart to sell it, it was the first car I bought after college, brand new, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, navi, black-on-black, the works, and I loved it dearly. Reliability wasn't an issue (though the cost of parts when things went wrong was ridiculous) but I kept thinking that I could eliminate a $450/mo. car payment AND get $12-14K in cash to sell it. In the end I sold the car to some guy to give his 16-year old for their birthday (:mad:) and used the money to buy my way out of debt. I hated selling it, but in the end (for me) the relief was worth it.

But deciding to sell was really the easy part. The much harder part is figuring out what to replace it with that will still keep you in a good financial position. At the time I was considering a new Wrangler Unlimited (gasp) in Rubicon Red, a slightly used Xterra in Red Brick, or a 2000/2001 VX in Foxfire (see a trend here? ;)). I weighed the same options you probably are, warranty v. out-of-pocket, predictable payment v. unpredictable repairs, etc. In the end I decided to pick up a low mileage VX (24K on the clock in Apr 08) that would be a super low monthly payment while also being mechanically sound. My payment is only $260 per month, and in the last 18 months all I've done is scheduled maintenance and replaced a window motor. If I had bought the new Wrangler I wouldn't have repair costs, but I'd have a sizeable monthly payment. If I'd bought the Xterra I would have had a lower payment but less of a warranty. In either case, those higher payments don't stop when the warranty ends; so your big risk in buying a new(er) car isn't in years 1-4, it's in 5,6,7, when you're still making that predictable monthly payment AND personally covering repairs. But by then maybe you're ready to trade in again.

Bottom line is that if you're going to sell the VX, make sure you don't really regret it later by overcommitting on your next vehicle. Good luck!

VXIRONwoMAN
10/24/2009, 06:25 PM
Apparently the drive shaft was unbalanced... $85. But for some reason... IT'S STILL NOT FIXED!!! :_mecker::flame2:

tomdietrying
10/24/2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear your aggrivation CeCe. Hope things work out out whichever way for you.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Say "Hi" to Gill for me.

nocturnalVX
10/24/2009, 09:16 PM
Hi Tom! :_beer:

Triathlete
10/24/2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your VX trouble CeCe. I remember seeing that VX before the previous owner had lifted it. It "appeared" to be in very good shape then (about 2 years before you bought it). The previous owner was a member here "Pigpen" if I remember right. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Y33TREKker
10/25/2009, 07:17 AM
Apparently the drive shaft was unbalanced... $85. But for some reason... IT'S STILL NOT FIXED!!! :_mecker::flame2:
What's the current problem? If there's a vibration you're trying to track down, you at least have an additional way of troubleshooting some of the potential problem parts, and that's by swapping parts from the other VX in your garage.

Granted, it depends on the part in question as to just how hard/time consuming the swap may be, and the fact that the process effectively takes both VX's out of commission for awhile, but that's just time invested, and could maybe save money wasted. (I don't know about you, but there's fewer things more frustrating when it comes to car repairs than having new parts thrown at a vehicle in the "hopes" it will fix the problem.

Any specifics of the current problem that could help everyone here offer a few possible suggestions for fixes?

VXIRONwoMAN
10/25/2009, 03:02 PM
What's the current problem? If there's a vibration you're trying to track down, you at least have an additional way of troubleshooting some of the potential problem parts, and that's by swapping parts from the other VX in your garage.

Granted, it depends on the part in question as to just how hard/time consuming the swap may be, and the fact that the process effectively takes both VX's out of commission for awhile, but that's just time invested, and could maybe save money wasted. (I don't know about you, but there's fewer things more frustrating when it comes to car repairs than having new parts thrown at a vehicle in the "hopes" it will fix the problem.

Any specifics of the current problem that could help everyone here offer a few possible suggestions for fixes?

The VX's are our only rides. So if both are out of commission we have no way of getting to and from work and/or school. And we would have to have the mechanic do the work which would cost in labor any way... Another reason to just have one VX, not two... If they both need to go to the shop you're screwed!

As for what the problem is...

Driving at highway speeds over 55mph I hear a loud grinding noise only when I slowly let up on the accelerator. Not when I am giving it gas or completely off the gas, but in between. The faster the speed the louder the noise. The noise is stemming from the rear and is more prefound near the rear diff. But it also is heard in the front just not as loud. We had it up on the lift that is how we know the location of the noise. We just don't know what is wrong...

MSHardeman
10/25/2009, 04:12 PM
Cece,

Sorry to hear about your issues with the VX. I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating, particularly when things seem to keep going awry. I hope you don't have to sell your VX, but would totally understand if you do.

As for your grinding; have you checked the fluid in both the transfer case and the rear end lately? I don't get a grinding noise, but when I let off of the gas I tend to get some gear noise coming up through the shifter for the four wheel drive system. I have an after market shift knob, and I think it amplifies the gear noise. That noise happens only on deceleration and I'm guessing it's because as the weight of the VX shifts forward it puts stress on the gears and I can then hear them meshing. I don't think it's a problem because it's always made that noise, even after I had the transmission and transfer case fluid changed.

I know this sounds silly, but I also get a wicked noise from my tires when I let off of the gas at highway speeds. Again, I guess it's because the VX's weight shifts forward and pushes the tread on the tires into the pavement differently. That doesn't sound like your problem because you said that you guys had the VX up on the lift and it still made that noise.

Oh, another possibly silly question; have the u-joints on the drive shafts been lubbed?

I would check (or have it checked) the fluids in the transfer case and the rear end to make sure that there is enough clean fluid in there.

Just my two cents.

VXIRONwoMAN
10/25/2009, 04:23 PM
As for your grinding; have you checked the fluid in both the transfer case and the rear end lately?

I know this sounds silly, but I also get a wicked noise from my tires when I let off of the gas at highway speeds.

Oh, another possibly silly question; have the u-joints on the drive shafts been lubbed?

I would check (or have it checked) the fluids in the transfer case and the rear end to make sure that there is enough clean fluid in there.

I am pretty sure the mech. checked the fluids, I have done so much to it, it's hard to remember though. I gotta check my records.

It's not the tires because the noise was there when it was on the lift.

U-Joints and driveshaft are lubed... they didn't need much, but they are lubed...

You know it's bad when you don't want to drive it anymore because you're afraid you're gonna have to fix something else...

The mech. still wants to figure out what is wrong with my VX, but I can't afford much more...

Y33TREKker
10/25/2009, 06:04 PM
As for what the problem is...

Driving at highway speeds...
Has any of the work you've had done involved the ring and pinion in the rear diff? Excess backlash between the two could be a possibility, and if there was an excess in the rear diff, I imagine the sound/vibration could get transmitted back towards the front via the drive shaft.

djvx
10/25/2009, 10:53 PM
Cece, I broke up with my meticulously maintained low mileage 2001 Black Mustang GT convtertible, Thee nicest vehicle I ever owned. This car was so "me".....in the summer.
But, come late fall, winter and spring it was useless, and sat in my garage as I dreamed of the fun I "would" have with it. Finally I said "F" this and traded it in for something I could use year round. Knowing I would puke and be physically ill ;puke2;trading it in- I did it anyway. I ended up being severly depressed missing the Mustang. I did not get over it for a long long time and I still gag :deadgray:sometimes when I see one. Sellers remorse X 10000. I nearly had to get professional help! No lie! ...anyway, I am now over it about 98 %....mainly because I bought the VX and it kicks azz too. So my advice is if you do replace the VX be ready to be a lil' depressed :(and make sure you pick out a cool/unique vehicle to fill the VX void. AND.....if you were to regret selling it you could still find another nice VX to buy. I hope Gil keeps his though.

BigSwede
10/26/2009, 01:31 PM
CeCe, I gotta say you are about the last person I expected to sell their VX. Not that there's anything "wrong" with that...:bwgy:

Financially, there can be little doubt it is far cheaper to keep an older vehicle running than buying new. But I understand the frustration of not trusting your transportation to get you around reliably. Which is one big reason I am have 2 vehicles. My Trooper isn't my daily driver, so I have the luxury of leaving the Trooper in the garage for extended periods with parts strewn about whilst I figure out what the hell I am doing...much less pressure than trying to get 'er done for the Monday commute. So can you get another cheap daily driver and keep the VX?

OR, maybe you should just get a different VX that you do trust... :p

Ultimately I agree with Gill, do what makes you happy.

A few other thoughts:

I'm not sure the "grinding" you describe is a problem. Lots of vehicles make extra drivetrain noise at light throttle at highway speeds, including my Trooper. OTOH, if I were to actually hear your noise, I might have an entirely different opinion.

New FJ: Taller than Gill's VX, Eat into school savings and not worry about even the itty bitty problems because...New Car Factory warranty, or big ones...Lifetime Drivetrain warranty, Locking Diff., cosmetically sound, But it doesn't come in LEATHER! Part are readily available. Moab is in the horizon.
AFAIK Toyota doesn't have lifetime drivetrain warranty, for sure my RAV4 doesn't...unless that is something special to the FJ.

BTW If you do want a slick daily driver look at the V6 RAV4, the AWD will get you around in the snow, 269hp has a nice Wheeeeeee factor, and it gets upper 20s mpg highway, lower 20s around town. But it isn't an off-roader.

KeithVXlvr
10/26/2009, 02:37 PM
Cece,

I sold mine and when I see one I miss it.

Then I come visit this site and see all the problems folks keep having and it makes me smile again.

Sell it.

BigSwede
10/26/2009, 03:03 PM
Then I come visit this site and see all the problems folks keep having and it makes me smile again.
Sure, but keep in mind that people rarely tend to post about how they aren't having trouble with their VX...

VXR
10/27/2009, 03:58 AM
Sure, but keep in mind that people rarely tend to post about how they aren't having trouble with their VX...

x2:bgwb:

VXR
10/27/2009, 04:10 AM
:righto::rolleyesg:rollblue::rollo:
Cece,

Sell it.

Jay Dunford
10/27/2009, 06:05 AM
I'm not sure the "grinding" you describe is a problem. Lots of vehicles make extra drivetrain noise at light throttle at highway speeds, including my Trooper.

AFAIK Toyota doesn't have lifetime drivetrain warranty, for sure my RAV4 doesn't...unless that is something special to the FJ.

My VX also had a hard to locate grind when driving with no load (Accel. or Decel.) and it turned out to be the front drive shaft had too much angle after the lift. An easy way to check it is to pull all the plugs off of the TOD module under the pass. seat and drive it. You will lose ABS when unplugged so don't panic. What I did to make it easier to live with day to day was to put a TOD disconnect switch wired to a 10 watt resistor to simulate load. There's a good write up for that on here somewhere. You just have to remember to turn the TOD back on in the slick stuff, that short wheelbase can swap ends REAL quick! Another thing to check for driveline noise in the rear is the clutch packs for the LSD. I toasted mine rallycrossing for a few years and had some noise there as well. Don't know if your mechanic has actually opened the 3rd member yet or not. Feel free to call me and we can talk it over and see if we can come up with a solution or suggestions for your mechanic.

Toyota warranty on the FJ is 3 yr /36K bumper to bumper and 5 yr / 60K on the drivetrain. You would be looking at mid 20's for a 4x4 basic package new. 'Course I've pretty well modded my warranty away by now.

WormGod
10/27/2009, 07:40 AM
Cece,

Sell it.

Right right.... and you come back WHY?

Uh huh, you aren't kidding anyone.

nocturnalVX
10/27/2009, 07:56 AM
Ultimately I agree with Gill, do what makes you happy...

BTW If you do want a slick daily driver look at the V6 RAV4, the AWD will get you around in the snow, 269hp has a nice Wheeeeeee factor, and it gets upper 20s mpg highway, lower 20s around town. But it isn't an off-roader.

Toyota warranty on the FJ is 3 yr /36K bumper to bumper and 5 yr / 60K on the drivetrain. You would be looking at mid 20's for a 4x4 basic package new. 'Course I've pretty well modded my warranty away by now.

Thanks for the support! We found a dealer in Florida that adds a lifetime powertrain warranty (good at any dealer in the lower 48), but you are right about the standard warranty. My VX is still covered after all these years! Having a long coverage period is nice if you plan on keeping your ride & don't wrench. Looks like balancing the driveshaft helped, but did not get rid of the noise completely. Our mechanic did not want to tear into the rear diff or transfer case until making sure the drive shaft was not causing the vibes on either end. Your old Ironman was a beast Jay. Cece's Proton isn't lifted that much, but the PO did not maintain it very well at all. She's been lavishing TLC and $$$ on it since she got it and it's just getting frustrating. We shall see...

Thank you everybody for your advice!

VXIRONwoMAN
10/27/2009, 08:30 AM
An easy way to check it is to pull all the plugs off of the TOD module under the pass. seat and drive it. You will lose ABS when unplugged so don't panic.

Well, my ABS has been long gone already and so has Gill's. We are going to an ISUZU dealer now to get his VX looked at. Now mine is going to be holding us above water... this is where it gets scary. :freek:

What I did to make it easier to live with day to day was to put a TOD disconnect switch wired to a 10 watt resistor to simulate load. There's a good write up for that on here somewhere.
:_huh: :_wtf: :_thinking :_confused LOL You lost me after disconnect the TOD switch...

Another thing to check for driveline noise in the rear is the clutch packs for the LSD. I toasted mine rallycrossing for a few years and had some noise there as well. Don't know if your mechanic has actually opened the 3rd member yet or not. Feel free to call me and we can talk it over and see if we can come up with a solution or suggestions for your mechanic.
:blab: I am just going to get you on the phone and hand it over to the mechanic. :yesb:

I am hoping to save up 5k by spring and hopefully (with spending my school funds & selling the VX) I can pay cash... I hate payments! We'll see. I have a lot of stress going on other than my tempermental VX, so hopefully I will reconsider when everything stops bopping me in the head. But for now, I have hope to be just like Jay... :coolb:

tom4bren
10/27/2009, 11:18 AM
Cece,

Sell it.

The only trouble I've had with mine is CV boots. That was self imposed by the lift so it doesn't even count.

They'll be prying the VX keys out of my cold dead hand someday (hopefully in the VERY distant future).

If you're looking for a vote, put me down for keeping it. You'll find the source of your problems & be happy with your ride again.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/27/2009, 05:18 PM
I'd say sell the VX and get an FJ for all the listed reasons. I've gotten to see modified ones up close & personal and like you already said...you can lift it higher & slap bigger meats on it and have a multitude of aftermarket support. And it won't be in the shop for a month at a time to fix it.

BUT....I don't know how true this is....BUT...an FJ owner told me they already stopped building new ones and are only left with what is currently in inventories...so if you snooze you'll lose out on a "new" warranty equipped one & have to settle for a used one (higher finance % rate on used cars too.)

You still have Gil's to drive whenever you want & he'll probably develop a liking for the FJ as well. Why put all your eggs in one basket anyways!

And if you truly can't take the loss of a VX down the road..there will always be another used one...just don't buy another proton....lol. j/k

Or...you could hold out and see if Hummer (just bought by China) will build the HX or H4 (VX like Hummer vehicle.)

LittleBeast
10/27/2009, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure the "grinding" you describe is a problem. Lots of vehicles make extra drivetrain noise at light throttle at highway speeds, including my Trooper. OTOH, if I were to actually hear your noise, I might have an entirely different opinion.
Yupe mine too, but only after a slight lift did the slight grinding start, and it sounds exactly like you are describing. My dad thinks it has something to do with the larger heavier tires/wheels and different tread pattern.

My VX also had a hard to locate grind when driving with no load (Accel. or Decel.) and it turned out to be the front drive shaft had too much angle after the lift. An easy way to check it is to pull all the plugs off of the TOD module under the pass. seat and drive it. You will lose ABS when unplugged so don't panic. What I did to make it easier to live with day to day was to put a TOD disconnect switch wired to a 10 watt resistor to simulate load. There's a good write up for that on here somewhere. You just have to remember to turn the TOD back on in the slick stuff, that short wheelbase can swap ends REAL quick! Another thing to check for driveline noise in the rear is the clutch packs for the LSD. I toasted mine rallycrossing for a few years and had some noise there as well.

Jay and I have talked about this before, and I totally agree with him and this grinding may sound like it is coming from the rear, but actually is occuring because of the lift/change in axle angle, even a slight change.

pbkid
10/29/2009, 10:03 AM
Jay and I have talked about this before, and I totally agree with him and this grinding may sound like it is coming from the rear, but actually is occuring because of the lift/change in axle angle, even a slight change.

ive talked to a drivetrain shop friend about the 'grinding sound' the VX gets when lifted.... its due to a difference in 'rake' of the vehicle.
the VX has to have a minimum of a 1 percent rake from back to rear (rear has to be 1 percent higher than front) otherwise the drive-axles will have problems.

CrnCnn
10/29/2009, 10:59 AM
ive talked to a drivetrain shop friend about the 'grinding sound' the VX gets when lifted.... its due to a difference in 'rake' of the vehicle.
the VX has to have a minimum of a 1 percent rake from back to rear (rear has to be 1 percent higher than front) otherwise the drive-axles will have problems.

That would make sense, I remember seeing this discussed before now. I just cranked my front a little after the diff brackets and now its noisey at ~65...hmmm.

Sorry, CeCe. We arent thread jacking, we are problem solving so you dont sell... yeah thats the ticket, yeah :yesy:

LittleBeast
10/29/2009, 11:39 AM

That would make sense, I remember seeing this discussed before now. I just cranked my front a little after the diff brackets and now its noisey at ~65...hmmm.

Sorry, CeCe. We arent thread jacking, we are problem solving so you dont sell... yeah thats the ticket, yeah :yesy:

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM, looks like I will be installing those 2" spacers I have for the rear, sooner rather than later. Will keep you updated, interesting thoughts though and it does make sense. I did go completely level when I lifted.....

Oh and Cece, please don't sell :) (see no thread jack)

djvx
11/04/2009, 09:02 PM
ce/gil---keep us posted
:argue::smack::whiteflag:;puke::blab::dance::?:

iamironman
11/05/2009, 11:28 AM
Seriously... If I were in the same exact position you are in, this is what I would do...

You say $8k in savings and either way you're going to go with student loans to continue school anyways...

I would sell the VX... and with that money and HALF of the ($8k) savings, and ALL the knowledge, wisdom and experience you now have with having owned 2 VX's, (3 with Gil's), go find the best VX that budget will buy... You know more now than ever before what to look for and what red-flags to run from... then after finding a better more reliable VX, I would just drive and maintain it (as is with no $$ spent on mods) till I resaved up 50-80% of what you spent on the new VX to replensh the savings... then and only then would I start modding the new VX. I would set a budget as to how much I wanted to spend to mod it to my satisfaction without spending ALL my savings... what would give me the most pleasure and satisfaction bang for buck without breaking my bank account. THAT'S the VX for you.

That's what I would do if I was in your exact situation. In my opinion... you have a 90/10 chance of gettng a way better, GREAT VX, better than what you have now and maybe even better than Gill's if you find the right one with an excellent PO that took care of his/her VX. Those are pretty damn good odds.

How many miles are on your current VX? Just think, there are deals to be had out there for an extremely low milage (< 50k miles?) VX for less than $10,000.00, which your budget should at least be, with the sale of the current VX and half of your ($8k) savings, and oods are that this new VX,(if you assuredly could find one with <50k miles), would have very few problems you would have to spend $$ on to "Fix" problems/breakdowns. This soulution results in NO payment and a healthy savings account and, again, in my opinion, peace of mind overall on the BIG picture.