PDA

View Full Version : 6 steps to fuel filter replacement

AlaskaVX
08/05/2003, 02:55 PM
OK I just replaced my fuel filter and I figured I would post how I did it. It was extremely easy! You will need a small bucket, 2 vice grips, a 10 or 11mm wrench/socket, and 2 hose clamps (buy the ones that you tighten down with a screw driver, it makes things easier)

First- find your existing filter, it's on the passenger side bellow where your back seat is, and it will be attached to the frame rail.

Second- clamp hoses (each side of filter) with vice grips (not too tight)

Third- remove existing hose clamps (bend them whatever, you won't need them anymore) and remove bolt that holds the filter in place.

Fourth- place bucket underneath the car with you and pull the hoses off (one at a time, giving a little time to drain) each end of the filter allowing the hoses and filter to drain into the bucket.

Fifth- put new filter in with the flow flowing to the front from back. Slide the NEW hose clamps on the hoses and reattach the hoses.

Sixth- Simply screw/tighten your hose clamps down tight, remove vice grips, and your good to go!

After your done start it up and wait a minute, watch your filter connections and make sure it's not leaking. If it is, tighten up your hose clamps or maybe even add another hose clamp.

Total cost to me was $14.95
$12.95 for the stock filter
$2.00 for 4 hose clamps (only used 2)

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/07/2003, 02:47 PM
Personally...I pull the electric fuel pump fuse while the engine is running to stop the pump and allow the engine to consume some of the fuel within the line in order to relieve the pressure before removing filter.

AlaskaVX
08/07/2003, 03:01 PM
Thats a good idea, but I didn't need to since I let the VX chill for a long time and it lost a lot of the pressure. Do you remember which fuse it was so others can find it?

SPAZZ
08/07/2003, 03:15 PM
Very Fast.......

I just unhooked the clamps on old fuel filter and then really fast like...disconnected aft side and plastic capped and rubber banded it... on new fuel filter the aft side is plastic and rubber banded off......then swiftly disconnected fwd side and pushed new filter on...then did the rest the same way.....very swiftly...

probably not the safest way....but was on my way to go meet Anita and Lisa K at killer shrimp and was in a hurry...totall time 10 minutes.....and was on my way...and didn't even smell like fuel after either!!! ;Dp;

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/07/2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Thats a good idea, but I didn't need to since I let the VX chill for a long time and it lost a lot of the pressure. Do you remember which fuse it was so others can find it?

Open the fuse box located within the engine compartment....

fuse is labeled--------> E-14 rated @ 15 amps

***Also makes a quick anti-theft deterrent if fuse removed while vehicle sits for prolonged duration; pretty hard to drive away with no fuel pressure! Doubtful that thief has time to troubleshoot!

P.S.- Always a good idea to wear your safety glasses/goggles whenever servicing fuel system. :supercool
Some of us weren't born with Spazz's cat-like, superhumanly quick reflexes to escape the possibility of a fuel bath...LOL;eeky;

:rotate: IronMan's Rule! :rotate:

kpaske
08/07/2003, 07:27 PM
Some of us weren't born with Spazz's cat-like, superhumanly quick reflexes to escape the possibility of a fuel bath...LOL;eeky;

ROTFL!!!! ;Db; ;Db; ;Db;

SPAZZ
08/07/2003, 07:28 PM
serious man...you have to be FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will agree....PPE (personal protective equipment) is a must in all situations.......because...YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN!!!!!!

Jonnie
08/09/2003, 08:02 AM
Also, be prepared for the hoses to be stuck on the old filter. Try twisting the filter a bit, but not too much as not to damage the hoses. I had to push the edges back with a flat blade screw driver too.

Lastly, check the weather forcast if you do not have a garage, my jeans are in the dryer.

Oh, gas burns when it gets in the band of your stainless steel watch, fyi. Owie.

Jonathan