PDA

View Full Version : Survey of Interest in Seat Extenders

JAMAS
10/16/2009, 10:05 AM
There was some talk about interest level in seat extenders and how that may lead to a fabricator tackling the job for us.

I guess size would be determined later. I know there was some testing as far as how far up the seat should go and what not. I don't know where the final "Tone Version" landed.

tom4bren
10/16/2009, 10:29 AM
I've already got em installed so I won't vote. I think 'Welder Guy' would do a run of 5 so as soon as there are 5 yes's, I'll pull mine to have him duplicate.

JAMAS
10/16/2009, 10:39 AM
I've already got em installed so I won't vote. I think 'Welder Guy' would do a run of 5 so as soon as there are 5 yes's, I'll pull mine to have him duplicate.

Rockin!

Any guess on cost?

tom4bren
10/16/2009, 10:42 AM
Not a clue till I take 'em in.

Does anyone have a picture of Tone's seat extenders? His website has been taken down.

VXorado
10/16/2009, 11:02 AM
I will fill the #2 spot in the poll.

Tom4bren, I may be sending my diff brackets to you this winter so they can be welded up (of course, if thats alright with you). I still want to check a local 4x4 shop for a quote but I don't think it will beat the price you quoted me a couple months ago.

JoFotoz
10/16/2009, 11:44 AM
I have a pair of uninstalled seat extenders....I never used them as I pulled the rear seats.

I'll pull mine to have him duplicate.

If I can find them in my workshop (its a mess!) ...

...I'll send 'em to you to save pulling yours.

jo

tom4bren
10/16/2009, 12:36 PM
...I'll send 'em to you to save pulling yours.

jo

That would be greatly appreciated. Believe it or not, we use the back seat on ours alla time since the TLC is on long term loan to daughter.

PK
10/16/2009, 05:13 PM
Ahhhh - - Do you feel the love!!!!!!!!!:heart::heart::heart:

This is what this site is all about. :thumbup::thumbup:

If you peoples can get this up and running, I would buy a set.
Then try and get them together with a set of window brackets and a Scangauge to ship all in one go.

Might even think of a few other things to make up a Xmas pressy for myself.

Put me down for a definite one set.

Thanks

PK

VX-157
10/17/2009, 12:48 AM
Ahhhh - - Do you feel the love!!!!!!!!!:heart::heart::heart:

This is what this site is all about. :thumbup::thumbup:

If you peoples can get this up and running, I would buy a set.
Then try and get them together with a set of window brackets and a Scangauge to ship all in one go.

Might even think of a few other things to make up a Xmas pressy for myself.

Put me down for a definite one set.

Thanks

PK

I would not mind a set as well. perhaps it would save us some postage :D

tom4bren
10/17/2009, 05:19 AM
AAAAAALL Righty Then.

There's already enough interest. I'll talk to 'Welder Guy' on Monday. Dang, that means I hafta drive the VX to work - what I goes through fer yous guys.

PittVXr
10/17/2009, 07:08 AM
There may be a car seat going in the back of mine soon, so put me down as interested.

Fe
10/17/2009, 07:36 AM
Definitely "in" just tell me how much :grino:
I'm constantly needing more: Big TV's, Extra Storage, Larger Belts....space to crawl in back of VX). Even my skinny friends don't want to make the crawl.
If he can make 'em. I'll wrap it up and gift it to myself for Thanksgiving, then think of something else for Christmas - maybe that combo GPS/back-up camera....?

tom4bren
10/19/2009, 06:44 AM
There may be a car seat going in the back of mine soon, so put me down as interested.

So cryptic ... are congratulations in order???

Osteomata
10/19/2009, 12:01 PM
I will definately buy a seat extender. After this weekend of foursome travel, it is now a top priority.

PittVXr
10/19/2009, 12:12 PM
So cryptic ... are congratulations in order???

No new additions to the family yet. The first one is keeping me plenty busy:p

I'd like to be able to put a rear car seat in the Vehicross so we can have two "family friendly" vehicles. Right now we only have a car seat in the CR-V. If my wife is out with her car that leaves me with no option to transport my daughter besides her stroller. In warm weather it wasn't a big deal, but with temps getting into the 40s this past weekend and colder stuff on the way it got me thinking about what I'm going to do this winter. Passenger side seat extenders sound like the way to go.

LittleBeast
10/19/2009, 12:23 PM
Tom, if I am not mistaken, this also makes the seat not able to go as far back as stock correct? I have my driver seat in the most fully extended position all the time for my ridiculously long legs, and since I like symmetry so much I have the passenger seat all the way back as well. This mod does not allow passenger seat to go all the way back to the original farthest setting correct?

tom4bren
10/19/2009, 12:29 PM
PittVXr - I forgot all about Leah's arrival back in Feb. How's she doing? Sleeping through the night yet?

LittleBeast - You are absolutely correct sir. The amount the passenger seat is moved forward to allow more access to the rear seat, rear positioning is lost by the same amount. Thus far, nobody has complained about loss in rear travel of the passenger seat in mine.

handeeman
10/19/2009, 01:43 PM
Got me on to my next mod.
Instead of seat extenders, how bout I remove the passenger seat and replace with one of those short folding beach chairs, talk about good rear seat access?

tom4bren
10/19/2009, 02:08 PM
Remove both passenger seat and rear seat. Install hammock. 'Life is good today'

Gussie2000
10/19/2009, 09:08 PM
Ok,i switch the front seats few months ago,that means i got to get them back on their original side in order to get the extenders installed; Is that right ? :confused:

tom4bren
10/20/2009, 04:23 AM
Only if you want the passenger seat to slide forward when you release the tilt. IIRC that's the only difference between the drivers & passenger seats.

handeeman
10/20/2009, 12:37 PM
I wonder if any of our Proton Taxi's have discovered it's easier to just remove the passenger seat and put your fares in the back seat. Ya don't need extenders. Just a thought, that's what they did in the VW Beetle taxis in mexico.

JAMAS
10/20/2009, 12:55 PM
I wonder if any of our Proton Taxi's have discovered it's easier to just remove the passenger seat and put your fares in the back seat. Ya don't need extenders. Just a thought, that's what they did in the VW Beetle taxis in mexico.

Cover the TOD computer thingy if you do that.

tom4bren
10/20/2009, 01:13 PM
BOY ... quit jackin my thread.

JUST KIDDING!!!

JAMAS
10/20/2009, 01:14 PM

JUST KIDDING!!!

Actually......it is MY thread .....:):):)

handeeman
10/20/2009, 01:23 PM

JUST KIDDING!!!

Stop...Stop.. You're both right it's your thread.
But, I've got the needle!
Back on thread, I'm not sure about seat extenders, wideners maybe. Like I said before, the prolem with bucket seats is some have bigger buckets than others. How's that for an extension of the extender thread ?

tom4bren
10/20/2009, 06:31 PM

I know. That's what made it so friggin funny.

BTW, you have a 04 Eclipse right? How do you remove the tweeter cover on the dash (wifey's is buzzing real bad & I need to replace the tweeter).

Bilateral thread jack - now this is getting intense.

Handee - your oversized bucket is something you'll just have to live with. I don't think anyone here is gonna be able to help you wit dat.

tom4bren
10/23/2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks mucho to Jo ... he sent me his seat sliders.

I dropped them off at 'Welder Guy' this morning. He'll try to let me know a ball park price on Monday. He anticipates it coming in well under $100 (IIRC, that's what Tone charged when I bought mine).

I told him 10 sets but I see that the survey is currently at 13. I hope y'all are serious about buying them 'cause I don't wanna sit on any that don't sell. I can't afford to front the money either (I'm out about $100 from when I was doing the diff brackets). Also, I'm only planning on this one production run so if you're interested ... now's the time.

I assume everyone wants them painted black. Is this true?

More details to follow.

Osteomata
10/23/2009, 06:14 PM
Well I'm totally serious. Which version did you go with? As I understand it, there was a 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5" version...
- Os

tom4bren
10/27/2009, 06:59 AM
I talked to Ron this morning. He's estimating the cost to fab up 13 sets of brackets will be about $50/set. He thinks he can have them done in about 3 weeks.

I'll keep you posted on when/how sales will begin.

Tom

samneil2000
10/27/2009, 07:40 AM
Awesome!

I talked to Ron this morning. He's estimating the cost to fab up 13 sets of brackets will be about $50/set. He thinks he can have them done in about 3 weeks.

I'll keep you posted on when/how sales will begin.

Tom

disasterlady
10/27/2009, 06:28 PM
so I'm confused ( as usual ), I read someone mentioning the sizes "there was a 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5" version..." and am wondering what it means. I have a standard 99' VX with the Rocarro seats, should I go measure the width? I would buy a pair for the $50, if the shipping wasn't outrageous.

Also, there seems to be another thread regarding these... our we double posting?:confused:

Gussie2000
10/27/2009, 06:58 PM
so I'm confused ( as usual ), I read someone mentioning the sizes "there was a 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5" version..." and am wondering what it means. I have a standard 99' VX with the Rocarro seats, should I go measure the width? I would buy a pair for the $50, if the shipping wasn't outrageous.

Also, there seems to be another thread regarding these... our we double posting?:confused:

The 2.5",3.5" & the 4.5" means the additional distance the passenger seats travels with the extenders installed :yesgray:

blacksambo
10/27/2009, 07:08 PM
Just for reference I contacted Tone on this item just before....he said $139.00 shipped to 12866; so $50.00, if it's just as easy to install, would a scream'in deal and one half.

JHarris1385
10/27/2009, 09:37 PM
$50 is a steal!.....I have them but not sure the extension measurement and I love it. Could not imagine life without it.

don moore
10/27/2009, 11:38 PM
i just got a new member added to our fam..i had to put the back seat back in ..and need these things..how much ..hope its not to much

tom4bren
10/28/2009, 06:41 AM
Yup, $50 per set is a steal.

"Welder Guy" is just starting a business on the side. He does quality work tho. LittleBeast or Tomdietrying can attest to that (they have seen the modified differential brackets that he did).

He may even be able to come in cheaper than $50 but I like round numbers & since it's already such a good deal, I'll leave it alone. Besides, I wanna keep him happy ... have some more Diff Drops to do. I also want to get him to try a panhard rod drop bracket for those that lifted & experience bump steer (mine has one from Calmini & I don't get any bump steer).

I'm not going to mess with picking up the mounting hardware for you tho since that'll just jack up shipping cost. You can pick up what's needed at any Lowes, Home Depot, Auto Zone, Fastenall, ...

You'll need 4 each of the following (actually 8 of the flat washers):

3/4" long 3/8x16 (grade 8 would be best but not absolutely necessary)
3/8x16 nut (Nylock would be good but not necessary)
flat washer
lock washer

Installation instructions are simple:

1. Remove 4 bolts holding seat to floor of VX
2. Take seat out of VX
3. Remove 10+ years of accumulated cheerios, popcorn, etc from floor of VX
4. Use above listed hardware to bolt brackets to bottom of seat. It's important to leave bolts wobbly loose at this point
5. Put seat back in place
6. Use original bolts to bolt brackets to floor of VX (only put in a few turns at this point
7. Tighten bracket to seat bolts
8. Tighten bracket to floor bolts
9. Enjoy

I think these move the seat 3.5" forward. I'll try to measure on mine tonight.

Yes, there are two more threads on this topic but I wanted a survey so that I could guage interest. Actually one of the other threads was about moving the Drivers seat back for the 'bean pole' VX owners. We haven't tackled that issue yet.

Tom

BTW: if you answered yes to the survey, PM me your mailing address & I'll try to get a shipping cost for each.

JoFotoz
10/28/2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Tom...

If "Welder Guy" is copying the ones I sent you......

I think these move the seat 3.5" forward. I'll try to measure on mine tonight.

...then it will be 3.5 inches.

And congrats..$50 is a GREAT price for all those needing them.

jo

tom4bren
10/28/2009, 11:27 AM
You heard him folks. I'm getting his copied so they are 3.5"

And a big round of Thanks to Jo for providing the brackets to copy ....

I can't hear you!!!

Let's try again ... THANKS Jo!!!

PittVXr
10/28/2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks Jo!

JoFotoz
10/28/2009, 01:10 PM
OK..thanks...enough!!!

.....it was no problem!!

Tom did all the REAL work....and got ya all a smoking good deal.

jo

tom4bren
10/28/2009, 03:41 PM
OK..thanks...enough!!!

BWAAHAAHAA

It's more fun my way. Keep em comin folks.

Ldub
10/28/2009, 03:53 PM
Actually one of the other threads was about moving the Drivers seat back for the 'bean pole' VX owners. We haven't tackled that issue yet.

That's the easy part, just take out the drivers seat & sit in the back...:laughing:

70's disco pimp'n shoes may be needed to take up the X-tra slack...:yesgray:

And maybe some "Angel Flight" polyester pants...:dance:

don moore
10/28/2009, 04:23 PM
and some digo balls hanging around the window edges and a garder around the rearview mirror and a rainbow sticker in the rear window.. and stick 2x4s in the rear springs to jack up the rear to give you a rake look. and put some raised white letter TAs all around to show your skins are kool...oops I got carried away..hehe:work:

Ldub
10/28/2009, 04:27 PM
and some digo balls hanging around the window edges and a garder around the rearview mirror and a rainbow sticker in the rear window.. and stick 2x4s in the rear springs to jack up the rear to give you a rake look. and put some raised white letter TAs all around to show your skins are kool...oops I got carried away..hehe:work:

a-least we're on the same groove man...:cool:

Osteomata
10/28/2009, 05:44 PM
SO when do we send money, and to whom?

tom4bren
10/29/2009, 03:45 AM
Stay tuned. I'll post that info closer to the delivery date.

bentcipher
11/02/2009, 10:00 PM
I'm in lads

tom4bren
11/03/2009, 10:07 AM
Everyone that plans on ordering the seat extenders, go here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16810

Thanks.

These are the folks that I know wanted these brackets:

JAMAS
Fe
PittVXr
samneil2000
VXorado
PK
Hetzer
Osteomata
disasterlady
don moore
benticipher
AK Falco
lasturbo

I have your shipping address
I need your shipping address

There were others who voted but didn't post. I need names before I tell him to make them (& BTW, sorry but this is a pain in the arse - I'm only doing it once so lemme know by Friday).

tom4bren
11/04/2009, 08:05 AM
:bump:

circmand
11/05/2009, 09:43 AM

Arent those raised white letter tires on your rig in the avatar?

don moore
11/08/2009, 11:11 AM
Arent those raised white letter tires on your rig in the avatar?
shhhhhhhhhh

JAMAS
11/10/2009, 11:06 AM
Any word on the seat extenders from welder guy?

JAMAS
11/10/2009, 11:07 AM
Whoops....perhaps I should have read the other thread first.

Disregard

tom4bren
11/11/2009, 04:29 AM
Whoops....perhaps I should have read the other thread first.

Disregard

Consider yourself disregarded.