PDA

View Full Version : time to get new tires

Moonrover
10/14/2009, 09:13 AM
so after a few months of denial, i came to the realization that i need to get new tires over thanksgiving break. As far as i know they still are the original tires as the car only has 55,000 miles on it. I called my local discount tire and they said they can hook me up with a set of Yokohama's for 586 with install i cant remember the model number of the tire off the top of my head. Any thoughts on the brand and quality?

vt_maverick
10/14/2009, 09:22 AM
Really need to know the model and size before anyone can give you authoritative guidance (unless Riff has the time to research all the Yokohama options and rate each one for you, which he's been nice enough to do in the past) on quality, price, etc.

Btw, time to get a new font/size for your posts... I feel like I'm being screamed at for my thoughts. ;)

workmeistr
10/14/2009, 09:52 AM
General Grabber HTS 255/55R18

Really a good, all around tire.

More at:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14349

BLUF:
12/25/09 - Just a quick snow update on the General Grabber HTS 255/55R18 for $113 each @ tirerack.com

These tires absolutely rock in the snow! They don't look to have aggressive-enough tread, bucking the conventional wisdom of self-clearing lugs, but these things are incredible when plowing, and even when stopping/starting on the ice.

I have driven a number of different Land Rovers in the snow/ice with M/T, aggressive A/T, and moderate A/T tires. I have never had the kind of control I am enjoying in the VX on the 'moderate A/T' Grabber HTS. Much of the credit goes to the VX itself, but TOD, ABS and weight-over-the-wheels doesn't help you much when stopping on a sheet of ice. 'Only the tires save you then...

Moonrover
10/14/2009, 12:29 PM
the tire model is the Yokohama yk520

tomdietrying
10/14/2009, 12:49 PM
Get 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler. That's the one that makes the VX look complete.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
if it is possible to make the VX look any better, that's the tire.

circmand
10/14/2009, 01:51 PM
too bad we do not have a search engine that would show all the posts with all the different tires people have written aboutand evaluated. Perhaps a recomended section where everyone can recomend the tires they have. That way those poor people wanting to buy new tires wouldnt have to post their question everytime. We should really help tese people out.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ldub
10/14/2009, 02:18 PM
too bad we do not have a search engine that would show all the posts with all the different tires people have written aboutand evaluated. Perhaps a recomended section where everyone can recomend the tires they have. That way those poor people wanting to buy new tires wouldnt have to post their question everytime. We should really help tese people out.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Isn't that why we keep riff around?...:_confused...:laughing:

Riff Raff
10/14/2009, 04:17 PM

Thanx Ldub & VT-Maverick for your kind supportive comments. Yes, I'll send an E-Mail to MoonRover and "shake the tree's & rake the leaves". I'll get a feeling on his tire preference, and then make a variety of possible suggestions in various sizes tailored to his specific wants/desires.:bgwb:

pbkid
10/14/2009, 05:35 PM
Thanx Ldub & VT-Maverick for your kind supportive comments. Yes, I'll send an E-Mail to MoonRover and "shake the tree's & rake the leaves". I'll get a feeling on his tire preference, and then make a variety of possible suggestions in various sizes tailored to his specific wants/desires.:bgwb:

riff in all reality, you really are the most thorough and educated person i have ever seen considering tires :thumbup:

thanks for your help.

BlackVXer99
10/16/2009, 01:08 AM
riff in all reality, you really are the most thorough and educated person i have ever seen considering tires :thumbup:

thanks for your help.

x2!! ill def. be searching your posts come tire time. good stuff

Riff Raff
10/16/2009, 07:42 AM
x2!! ill def. be searching your posts come tire time. good stuff

Just give me a shout anytime (PM or E-Mail), glad to help. Thanx for the shout-out Peanut Butter Kid, I truly appreciate your kind words of support. Yes, I'm currently working with MoonRover "behind the scenes" by private E-Mail to help him finalize his tire decision within his budget. He lives in Chicago, IL and has some very unique challenges, namely "SNOW". I'm determined to find him something that meets his explicit parameters.:yeso:

Gussie2000
10/16/2009, 08:42 AM

Hahaha
Good question LOL

Riff raff ya da man !

VXR
10/17/2009, 09:50 AM
Nitto Terra Grappler. That's the one that makes the VX look complete

X2:yesy:

Riff Raff
10/18/2009, 05:56 PM
Success!!! Well, MoonRover wanted to stay within the $120 -- $150 price mark per tire range and prefers the wider 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D.) size, as opposed to the taller 275/65R18 (32" O.D.). After considering numerous brands/models; it seems the COOPER - ZEON "LTZ" is once again the hands-down winner with the unique "shattered glass" tread pattern from www.Treadepot.com, which has them currently on sale for only $120 each (a true bargain). The Nitto T/G is a way too expensive and a bit too heavy when compared to the "LTZ". MoonRover will be following in the exact same footsteps of fellow VX member "SPIKE" (and originally spear-headed by member "VX-KAT").:bgwb:

VX-KAT--- Thank you so very much for your outstanding pictures in your Photo Gallery!!! Whenever I mention the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ", I always refer people to visit your specific gallery. Your pictures have incredible detail from every angle and clearly show fellow VX'ers the look/stance of the remarkable "LTZ".:thanx:

don moore
10/19/2009, 10:48 PM
http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/39/8d/ab13_3.JPG

VX KAT
10/19/2009, 11:17 PM
MoonRover will be following in the exact same footsteps of fellow VX member "SPIKE" (and originally spear-headed by member "VX-KAT").:bgwb:

VX-KAT--- Thank you so very much for your outstanding pictures in your Photo Gallery!!! Whenever I mention the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ", I always refer people to visit your specific gallery. Your pictures have incredible detail from every angle and clearly show fellow VX'ers the look/stance of the remarkable "LTZ".:thanx:

Thanks Riff!....but I really have to give the credit to my faithful photographer (aka hubby Dave :thumbup: :yeso:) as he was running tireless up and down hills, getting down on his knees (now stop what you're thinkin' boys...I know that's backwards!)...or on the ground, chasing after me to get the right shots....:bgwb: He's a good man!

I'm glad the pics have helped others make their decisions!

mrtew
11/01/2009, 07:16 AM
I just got those Coopers too! They seem great so far! I got the 285/60/18s and they almost seem a little wider and lower profile than my old Nitto Terragrapplers of the same size. No problem fitting or rubbing with stock wheels and ride height. My thanks to Kat for her pictures too which pushed me over the edge. (the fact that I grew up in Central Arizona right near her and have driven those same dirt roads myself might have softened me up even more)

VX KAT
11/01/2009, 10:16 AM
OK so #0662, and #0663 off the line have the Coopers, where's #0664, #0665..etc....line 'em up, slap the LTZs on them!