PDA

View Full Version : Repainting windshield wipers (not the blades)

JAMAS
10/12/2009, 07:50 AM
I did a quick search and came up with nothing, so I may be posting the question again.

I want to repaint the wiper arms that have a few rust spots on them. Aside from the "how to" sand, paint, etc......How do I safely remove the wiper arms from the teeth/motor assembly so that they can be safely sanded and painted?

ScottinMA
10/12/2009, 08:04 AM
I was just looking at mine the other day and considered doing the same thing you are planning. Keep us posted.

Thanks

JAMAS
10/12/2009, 08:12 AM
I was just looking at mine the other day and considered doing the same thing you are planning. Keep us posted.

Thanks

will do....I figure my safe backup plan is to remove the blades....lay down a bunch of paper and tape to protect everything else and give them a quick shot of black spray. Perhaps in the garage where the air is still.

circmand
10/12/2009, 08:14 AM
will do....I figure my safe backup plan is to remove the blades....lay down a bunch of paper and tape to protect everything else and give them a quick shot of black spray. Perhaps in the garage where the air is still.

you just have to remove the rubber grommet at the base of the unit and there is a bolt under there simply unbolt and the wiper arms should slip right off. I have been wanting to do this but have not done it yet so let us know if this is all that is needed.

handeeman
10/12/2009, 08:29 AM
I also need to do the same thing. Mine aren't rusted but are discolored and faded. I do remember doing this on cars in the past and I know you have to really have them clean or the paint will "cats eye"(bubble up).

nfpgasmask
10/12/2009, 08:56 AM
IIRC, Its very simple, there is a cap that you pop off and then a nut you unscrew and they lift right off.

Bart

Riff Raff
10/12/2009, 09:52 AM
IIRC, Its very simple, there is a cap that you pop off and then a nut you unscrew and they lift right off.

Bart

Yes, Bart is exactly right. There is a protective cap at the base that "pivots up" exposing the retainer nut to remove the entire arm assembly.

The key thing to do beforehand is to take a felt-tip Magic Marker Pen and make a mark on the head of the mounting pin (male end) and edge of hole on wiper arm (female end) so that it's easy re-mount the wiper arms perfectly back in the original position(s).

In addition, you can also take a piece of masking tape and tape along the edge of the rubber blade wear it touches the glass windshield before removal. In this way, when the arms are re-attached then you'll know that they are re-installed in perfect original alignment.

handeeman
10/12/2009, 09:55 AM
The key thing to do beforehand is to take a felt-tip Magic Marker Pen and make a mark on the head of the mounting pin (male end) and edge of hole on wiper arm (female end) so that it's easy re-mount the wiper arms perfectly back in the original position(s).

In addition, you can also take a piece of masking tape and tape along the edge of the rubber blade wear it touches the glass windshield before removal. In this way, when the arms are re-attached then you'll know that they are re-installed in perfect original alignment.

That's what I was trying to remember, to get it back right. Thanks Riff.

VX-13
10/12/2009, 10:28 AM
After reading and now know how to take the blade arms off I'm going to powder coat them this afternoon and I'll post some before and after pics thanks for the tips guys

Ldub
10/12/2009, 10:39 AM
I did this about a month ago, & found that they don't exactly slip right off after being on for ten years...:upsetgray

I pressed a 2 jaw puller into service, that was designed for tie rods/pulleys etc.(read: too big)
Since then, I picked up a smaller 2 jaw puller from O'Reilleys for around $10.-.
It'll fit way better next time.:yesgray:

Mine weren't rusty, but I scuffed em' up real good with a scotchbrite pad, then cleaned them with 90% rubbing alcohol.

A coulpe coats of primer, & a few coats of satin black...BAM, look new!...:thumbup:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=171568&postcount=185

VX crazy
10/12/2009, 10:50 AM
I did this too years ago on my other VX but I used the hammered grey, looks better than flat black.....need to do the current VX too.....awww another project!

Solitude
10/12/2009, 02:09 PM
I painted mine about 2 years ago.. I just taped the wipers off and painted them on the vehicle.

When you tape off.. you use masking tape and news paper and cover the car within about 3 feet of the blade.. on all sides.. and do not use the mil-spec rule.. the bigger the glob the better the job

good luck
p.s. I couldn't get my arms off the vx either so figured this wasn't an impossible way to go

dietz99vcross
10/12/2009, 04:02 PM
I did mine about two years ago and they came right off without any difficulty. I went with a matte black after a light sanding and they still look good.

lasturbo
10/12/2009, 06:41 PM
I painted mine last year with a Rust-Oleum Professional flat black paint. I prepped them with a Scotch Brite Pad (Very Fine-Type A red pad) and they look great!!

JAMAS
12/04/2009, 07:59 AM
2 weekends ago, I did this.

Couldnt be easier.

step 1: put a piece of masking tape above the blade to mark the current position of the blade.

step 2: Remove rubber covers via flat head screw driver shimmy.

step 3: Remove bolts
--drivers side is easiest to remove with the hood open
--passenger side is easiest to remove with the hood closed

step 4:remove wipers
--push down on the spring joint while lifting up

step 5: remove blades

step 6:sand down wipers

step 7: spray paint with rustoleum flat black
--let dry

step 8: reverse steps 4, 3, 2, 1

NOTE: the drivers side wiper is shorter than the passenger side.

Results were superb.

tom4bren
12/04/2009, 08:25 AM

No need for all that. Just align it with the line of dirt left by the wipers at the bottom of the glass.

I was only 'sorta' kidding. Alignment of your wipers is NOT critical. As long as they are close to horizontal when turned off ... good enough.

I've repositioned wipers before just because I didn't like how they sat on the windshield when turned off or to give a little more range on the upsweep.

Brian Drinks
12/11/2009, 03:02 PM
Hey just paint mine silver,they turned out nice,to remove them take off black cap that covers the nuts that holds them to the wiper motor then remove nut,rasie arm and pry up with screw driver and your done.