PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Isuzu dealer service problems, timing belt, thermostat and more!

elroyado
10/11/2009, 11:24 AM
I need the opinions of you great vcross mechanics out there. Here's the story. My son's '99 vcross needed a new thermostat. I took it to an Isuzu dealer, they don't see many of these cars around here so I'm somewhat skepitcal - I said are you sure you mechanics can do this job because it involves removing the intake manifold etc. The said they could fix it. We picked up the car drove for at least 20 minutes and within a half mile of home the car makes a bad noise and stopes running. We suspect maybe it's the timing belt. ( By the way this was the second engine in the car and it only had about 40k on it).

Towed it back and dealer said no compression, must be timing belt and engine ruined - said valves all bent. Well then I started to wonder about this and according to what I've read here this is a non-inferference engine. Like I said I don't think the dealer mechanics are familiar with the v-cross, I'm beginning to suspect that they just assumed the engine was ruined because they believe it to be an interference engine.

Could the engine be okay and simply need a timing belt? Is it possible that they screwed something up when they did the thermostat?

Heres' what else happened, our v-cross was vandelized in the dealership parking lot! Idiots supposedly got thru a razor wire "electrified" fence. Busted out window and tore up dash for a $100 walmart radio but they totally missed the $500 subwoofer and amp in the back!

So our '99 is sitting at the dealership lot until things get worked out with insurance - I forsee a fight over that.

But about the engine - do I try to find a decent mechanic to take it apart and see what happened? Thanks for any opinions on this matter.

Gussie2000
10/11/2009, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry to read about your ordeal.

The mechanis fail to follow isuzu's technical proceedures when it comes to working on the engine.

The 1rst step an smart mech dealing for the 1rst time with a vehicule's engine & transmission is to understand how both critical stuff works before even touching any thing and thsoe mech fail to follow that.

2nd step they fail to do is working on the engine by stricly following all technical proceedures to tear apart the engine.

With all that details i can assured you those guys messed up the engine completely.

Now your turn to have them cleaned up all the mess,my best suggestion : get a mech that already worked on isuzu 3.2 & 3.5L engine before & succesfully had the job done the right way.

nocturnalVX
10/11/2009, 09:44 PM
800- 255-6727

Call this number. After getting your VX from that dealership, taking it to an independent mechanic and getting the real story, and tell them what happened. This is ISUZU's main customer service line. Good luck.

circmand
10/12/2009, 07:24 AM
800- 255-6727

Call this number. After getting your VX from that dealership, taking it to an independent mechanic and getting the real story, and tell them what happened. This is ISUZU's main customer service line. Good luck.

Back when Isuzu was still in the USA I got ripped by a dealer and they were no help

rowhard
10/12/2009, 07:46 AM
if they are/were Isuzu Mechanic's, your telling me they never saw a trooper engine before???

Gussie2000
10/12/2009, 08:11 AM
if they are/were Isuzu Mechanic's, your telling me they never saw a trooper engine before???

That's very hard to believe.

nfpgasmask
10/12/2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, this story sucks. Sounds like gross negligence to me. I would definitely take the VX to an independent mech and have them inspect it. Or, dive in and look at the timing chamber yourself.

I also thought that the VX motor was non-interference, but like you said, there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

Bart

uncle_asa
10/12/2009, 11:25 AM
I need the opinions of you great vcross mechanics out there. Here's the story. My son's '99 vcross needed a new thermostat. I took it to an Isuzu dealer, they don't see many of these cars around here so I'm somewhat skepitcal - I said are you sure you mechanics can do this job because it involves removing the intake manifold etc. The said they could fix it. We picked up the car drove for at least 20 minutes and within a half mile of home the car makes a bad noise and stopes running. We suspect maybe it's the timing belt. ( By the way this was the second engine in the car and it only had about 40k on it).

Towed it back and dealer said no compression, must be timing belt and engine ruined - said valves all bent. Well then I started to wonder about this and according to what I've read here this is a non-inferference engine. Like I said I don't think the dealer mechanics are familiar with the v-cross, I'm beginning to suspect that they just assumed the engine was ruined because they believe it to be an interference engine.

Could the engine be okay and simply need a timing belt? Is it possible that they screwed something up when they did the thermostat?
Sorry, but 6VE1 is interference engine, though in most cases it is not. So it could bent valves, especially on high RPMs. Have a good mechanic who rebuilt at least dozen of 6VD1/6VE1 engines.

Anita
10/12/2009, 02:30 PM
Sent you a PM that might help.