PDA

View Full Version : What was that noise?

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 06:07 AM
I am sure it was nothing, but it keeps bugging me.......

I was driving to work this morning when out of no where, there is a loud plastic pop/click sound from the center console (radio/climate area). It sounded like some one through a rock from the back seat and hit the front plastic. Radio still kept on working, no smoke, no smells, no indicator lights. Should I be concerned, or could this really just be plastic creaking like it does sometimes? It was loud though.

Thoughts?

crotchrocket
10/09/2009, 06:21 AM
Gremlins ??

tom4bren
10/09/2009, 06:47 AM
Remember that sound can translate through solid structures in some VERY suprising ways. If the car in front of you kicked up a rock and it hit the front cladding, it could sound like what you described.

I noticed something weird the other day, toatally unrelated but just as strange: I've got a rock chip in my rear window. It's right on the edge so I don't think it's repairable. It doesn't look like it'll spread but I'm going to take it to a glass shop to see what they think.

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 06:52 AM
Remember that sound can translate through solid structures in some VERY suprising ways. If the car in front of you kicked up a rock and it hit the front cladding, it could sound like what you described.
I sure hope you are right. It sounded very un-muffled and right there.

I noticed something weird the other day, toatally unrelated but just as strange: I've got a rock chip in my rear window. It's right on the edge so I don't think it's repairable. It doesn't look like it'll spread but I'm going to take it to a glass shop to see what they think.

Stay on target......:hj:

Just kidding....they may be able to stop the spread. Maybe not repair it, but if the chip doesnt bother you, I am pretty sure that they can fix it so it doesnt spider web or anything. Good luck!

Ldub
10/09/2009, 06:55 AM
Squirrel cage (hvac fan) throwing a blade?:_confused

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 07:22 AM
Squirrel cage (hvac fan) throwing a blade?:_confused

the fan was off....although my vents were set to let outside air in.

if that did happen, is there anything to be concerned about?

Ldub
10/09/2009, 07:26 AM
the fan was off....although my vents were set to let outside air in.

if that did happen, is there anything to be concerned about?

Doubtful that was it if the fan was off, but if it did toss a blade, it would be out of balance & probably make noise.
Never seen it happen, just a WAG.

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 07:28 AM
Doubtful that was it if the fan was off, but if it did toss a blade, it would be out of balance & probably make noise.
Never seen it happen, just a WAG.

Thanks. I am sure it was just another VX creak or noise(I hope). Kinda like an old house. It could be haunted too.

vt_maverick
10/09/2009, 08:04 AM
Maybe this?

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/smuggle.jpg

pbkid
10/09/2009, 10:03 AM
just a wild guess... but make sure your parking brake is still working. the cable could of snapped ;)

thats really the only thing with tension in the whole center console area...

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 10:10 AM
just a wild guess... but make sure your parking brake is still working. the cable could of snapped ;)

I will check that after work. Good thinking.

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 11:05 AM

I went out to the parking lot and disengaged the parking break lever, pushed a bit and got movement. I then re-engaged the parking break lever and did NOT get movement. So luckily it doesnt sound like it was the cable.

Good thought though. I really thought you were going to be right. I guess only time will tell if something is broken or not.

pbkid
10/09/2009, 11:07 AM
eh, shot in the dark :)

could of just been a rock that got kicked up and hit the crossmember or something...

SilverBullet75
10/09/2009, 04:12 PM
Sit in the driver's seat while someone outside throws pebbles at the front of the VX...

...man, that flu reeaallly affected me. :o