PDA

View Full Version : off road

Moonrover
10/08/2009, 02:40 PM
so i was wondering what i would have to do to my stock vx to make it be able to handle going off road. im guessing i would have to put a lift kit. but i don't know. any thoughts? thanks moonrover :confused:

JoFotoz
10/08/2009, 02:50 PM
It realy depends on what you mean by "off road"....

so i was wondering what i would have to do to my stock vx to make it be able to handle going off road. im guessing i would have to put a lift kit. but i don't know. any thoughts? thanks moonrover :confused:.

Unlifted VX's have been seen happily galavanting around the hills and rocks of Moab!

jo

Riff Raff
10/08/2009, 03:33 PM
MoonRover--- There are basically only two(2) things required when traveling off-road with the VX:

(1). Always engage transfer case in 4W-"LOW" (once leaving highway with VX on dirt surface; and, return back to normal Hi-Range before making contact with solid highway again). By using only 4W-"LOW" off-road will give you the very best all-around traction and will force you to drive at a slower, more methodic pace (very important so you can react to various situations/conditions).

(2). Drive "prudently" by not taking unnecessary risks to keep yourself/passengers and your VX safe at all times; while always picking the "best possible line" on any given trail. Never try to "show boat" off-road-- you will only impress the recovery tow truck driver.

"Lifting" the VX is only required when installing taller tires OVER 32" O.D. A 100% factory stock non-lifted VX is capable of installing 265/75R16 or 275/65R18 (32" O.D.) tires with only minor front trimming and are bolt-on perfect "IF" they are mounted on the stock OEM factory 7" wide wheels. A 32" O.D. tire will give the VX a 1.25" increase in ground clearance over the stock OEM tire (29.5" O.D.).

Triathlete
10/08/2009, 03:58 PM
MoonRover--- There are basically only two(2) things required when traveling off-road with the VX:

(2). Drive "prudently" by not taking unnecessary risks to keep yourself/passengers and your VX safe at all times; while always picking the "best possible line" on any given trail. Never try to "show boat" off-road-- you will only impress the recovery tow truck driver.

Yea, but whats the fun in that?:bwgy::rotate::laughing:

VXorado
10/08/2009, 05:46 PM
Like the others said, depending on what your you mean by "offroading" is how much you need to modify the suspension. I went offroading weekly this summer and the VX was awesome. I have a lift and 33" tires but not too much else...yet

Here's a link in the how-to's section that will show you all the options.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=66

vt_maverick
10/08/2009, 06:24 PM
First step is make sure your rig is clear of all picket fences and other debris.

:D

Moonrover
10/08/2009, 06:36 PM
yea the picket fence has to go once i get back home from college. but i kinda wanted to go muddin since this hick town im in has trails everywhere.

VX KAT
10/08/2009, 06:39 PM
I took my stocker to Moab this year for the 1st time, only changes I had made were replacing OEM shocks, putting RanchoXL's on, transfer case skid plate and 255/55/18 tires. No lift, no TB cranks. I did scrape the front & rear lowest part of the cladding (not visible at normal view), and bent the OEM tailpipe a little. I did 2 trails (Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge) which are both rated as "difficult", and had no problems. I did pass on trails that had larger rocks/shelfs because of my stock height and my desire to not rip the heck out of my undercarriage.

Checkout my gallery for many pics of several different off road terrains/locations I've been, maybe you can use them to gauge the terrains your stocker can EASILY handle. Note, I have gotten bigger tires since Moab...I got Cooper Zeon LTZs in 285/60-18, with more aggressive tread, I gained 1.21" in height with just this tire change, so next yr in Moab I'll have even more fun!

Triathlete
10/08/2009, 07:14 PM
... and bent the OEM tailpipe a little.

If your not sport'in the "D" tail pipe you ain't been wheel'in!:bwgy:

VX KAT
10/08/2009, 07:23 PM
If your not sport'in the "D" tail pipe you ain't been wheel'in!:bwgy:
Yup, I got and wear my off road badges proudly now! :thumbup: OK, maybe it took me a few weeks to get used to some of them....:laugho:
Even getting used to the gas tat now too.......I think....:confused:

JoFotoz
10/08/2009, 09:32 PM
OMG....I missed the whole...

...."Picket Fence" thing.

WTF..is that?

Until you Rip it off....ALL OF IT!....

....please stay on the tarmac!

:yesgray::yesgray::yesgray:

jo

crotchrocket
10/09/2009, 05:15 AM
Let me give you a visual example....I went off roading in my stock VX once before modding, this is result 1 !!

STUCK STUCK STUCK

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/101_4939.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/DSCF0545.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/101_4923-1.jpg

your 2 main issues are traction and ground clearance!

you need to lift the VX and add some good size all terrain or mud terrain tyres (plenty of threads on both on this site) and you'll be 90% there for most easy to medium off road courses / trails

After those 2 mods mine goes pretty much anywhere i dare!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/DSCF1085.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/IMGP5044.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/DSC01678.jpg

JAMAS
10/09/2009, 05:20 AM
... this hick town im in...

Well, now that explains the picket fence.

Moonrover
10/09/2009, 07:16 AM
Well, now that explains the picket fence.

ill sell the picket fence to you cheep

tom4bren
10/09/2009, 08:00 AM
Naw, keep it handy. Ya might need to shove it under a tire to get 'unstuck' on your first offroad trip.:)

vt_maverick
10/09/2009, 08:11 AM
I think CR is going to give the Moab folks a run for their money on how many shots make it into the VX calendar. Fantastic pics!

CrnCnn
10/09/2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, Thanks CrotchRocket for the new desktop images.

alanbradley
10/09/2009, 01:24 PM
Tyres are number one really - protection is next and a lift is 3rd I'd say. It really depends what type of terrain you're covering when you're out and about.

A

BBVX
10/09/2009, 02:08 PM
Tyres are number one really - protection is next and a lift is 3rd I'd say. It really depends what type of terrain you're covering when you're out and about.

A

I agree with this, tires are THE most important. After i excavated my driveway, I tried going up the dirt incline on my stock rubber with no luck. But after I switched over to my BFG MTs, she walked right up there with barely a tap of the gas.

I wouldn't put protection next if you're mainly going to do the mud thing. A moderate lift is the way to go. That way you can get larger tires to get even more clearance.

My $.02

Brian

Triathlete
10/09/2009, 04:07 PM

A

However, if you are upsizing your tires then the lift becomes #1.:bwgy:

alanbradley
10/18/2009, 01:45 AM
Well yeah folks, but I was assuming more rocky stuff than muddy stuff given what you folks on the "wrong" side of the Atlantic seem to do ( ;) ). I've done tyres then lift as most of my outings are of the wet sort...

I love it when people (mainly Land Rover drivers) do the "its just a soft-roader" thing and then stand open-mouthed as you cruise over, around and up the sort of things that have them snapping halfshafts!

:)

A

crotchrocket
10/18/2009, 09:53 AM
most of my outings are of the wet sort...

ahem !! ;)

LittleBeast
10/18/2009, 09:53 PM
Never try to "show boat" off-road-- you will only impress the recovery tow truck driver.

Great advice!!!!! :) I wish I would have done this, but I did not and blew up my CV joint :(