PDA

View Full Version : Facebook?

Chopper
10/06/2009, 05:14 PM
Who here uses Facebook? Dub? (i know you're on the compy a bit at night) I'm Wayne Wilson....and in my profile pic, I'm holding an Angel Trumpet bloom the size of my head. Send me a request, and I'll friend you guys. I've been having fun with it. Learned that I hit everyone on my bus in the head with something, at some time, for some reason.....I'm getting the endstory on elementary school friends 35 years gone....I'm ignoring the people I ignored in High School.....learning which cheerleader became the boozing crack addict....which student council dude is in in lockup for 25 years...cool stuff. Mostly because I'd left home @ 16, was in the service at 17, and never went back to this day. Nobody you thought was a someone, in school, turned out to be anything.....they all peaked real young. The ones that have something going on now, are never the ones I would have expected...

Gussie2000
10/06/2009, 05:50 PM
I do facebook

crager34
10/06/2009, 06:09 PM
I do facebook

+ 1 :yeso:

pbkid
10/06/2009, 06:22 PM
guys... look for a vehicross group... many of us are in it ;)

Knigh7s
10/06/2009, 08:05 PM
Yupper! +1

Anita
10/06/2009, 08:58 PM
me too!

PK
10/06/2009, 09:08 PM
Damn - I feel old.

PK

Ldub
10/06/2009, 10:42 PM
Who here uses Facebook? Dub? (i know you're on the compy a bit at night) I'm Wayne Wilson....and in my profile pic, I'm holding an Angel Trumpet bloom the size of my head. Send me a request, and I'll friend you guys. I've been having fun with it. Learned that I hit everyone on my bus in the head with something, at some time, for some reason.....I'm getting the endstory on elementary school friends 35 years gone....I'm ignoring the people I ignored in High School.....learning which cheerleader became the boozing crack addict....which student council dude is in in lockup for 25 years...cool stuff. Mostly because I'd left home @ 16, was in the service at 17, and never went back to this day. Nobody you thought was a someone, in school, turned out to be anything.....they all peaked real young. The ones that have something going on now, are never the ones I would have expected...

That's interesting. I've had roughly the same experience, though I'm not on any of the social networking sites.
I've heard back through the grapevine about quite a few of the "peaked real early" folks.
I made the mistake of going to my 10 yr. HS reunion, haven't been to one since. (it's now been 34 yrs. since 1975)
Perhaps the reason I have no particular urge to make contact with the past is because 90% of the friends that I had in HS, are still among my closest friends as an adult, and the ones I had no time for then, still fall into the same category.
Of course I'm a known luddite, no broadcast TV (PS3 & lots O DVD's yes), no cel phon, never read the paper, jimmy crack corn?...yeh, that's me...:yesgray:

I'm with PK...MAN I feel old sometimes.

Oh, I just had a thought...Chopper (Wayne Wilson) is "Dub-Dub"...:rotate:...:laughing:

VX KAT
10/07/2009, 12:23 AM
I finally surrendered when two good friends joined and seemed to abandon "traditional" email....:( So yeah, I've joined, but I can't stand it, don't check it often, and can't understand why anybody wants to waste their time reading stuff like "watcha doin tonight?" or "that's so cool" or "I just went and pee'd"...these are 3 actual posts I've seen....:laugho::laugho::laugho::laugho:

Two friends from jr high & high school contacted me which was kinda neat, but that was it. I'm with Dub here (you know "the weird-O up nort..." ;))
...if I didn't like them in H.S. I sure don't have any interest in them know, just a waste of my precious time. I've tried and tried and I just can't understand the need, desire or obsession to be "constantly connected" and instantly accessible for mundane things like most of the comments seem to be.

Maybe I'm a anti-social or counter culture....or just annutter Weird-O.....but I fought having to carry a beeper at work, (successful for many years), then fought the Blackberry - and won!), then had to carry a business cell phone (but only gave out the # to a handful of people).....all the while being a total techno-geek/computer geek/gadget geek/apple geek......now that stuff is fun!
Nope, facebook isn't for me.....and don't even get me started on Twitter or even speaketh the word "tweet"...cuz "what's been heard can never be unheard"! :_brickwal:

VX crazy
10/07/2009, 05:06 AM
I am on facebook, but I agree with the dub and kat on the social networking part, I just went to my 20 yr reunion and consider it a waste of makeup and gas (not me, the vx) because it was just to check out how ugly the cheerleaders turned out! I wasnt friends than and why would I be now? I also tighten up my features on fb so people can not find me if they search, cant see my photo or my list of friends.....some people just never need to find me! LOL

CrnCnn
10/07/2009, 06:59 AM
I am on Facebook. Clint Nelson. My VX is my profile pic. I didnt realize there was a VX group. I knew about the Myspace one, not Facebook. RIP Tone Monday is one of the few other VX things i'm involved in there. I keep a look out.

WormGod
10/07/2009, 07:21 AM
Funny you say that KAT. I only signed up because many of my friends stopped with the email cause they used FB more often. I only just joined about 2 weeks ago or so. Now, I find myself using less email. Much easier keeping tabs on the folks you care to keep tabs on, all at once. My fear was that people would find me there and ask to be "friends" and that was the last thing I wanted.... but "Ignore" works great. ;)

JHarris1385
10/07/2009, 07:21 AM
+1

johnnyapollo
10/07/2009, 07:24 AM
I'm on Facebook - username is johnnyapollo or you can find me as John Eaton in Atlanta (pic is me in black and white in a tux).

-- John

tom4bren
10/07/2009, 07:37 AM
Rekin I'll have to lean the same way as Lbud & Katt. I'm already WAY too connected to bother with facebook or myspace. I got a personal cell so wife & kids can reach me. I got a BB with cell so the boss can reach me. I got a laptop so I can do the email thang as long as I can find wifi. I got fios at home so I can visit here any time I want (if wifey lets me:)). Yup, I'm too connected already.

As far as HS reunions ... I went to a couple early on. Twin bro & his wife & her sisters were the socialites & drug me along. I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't make any more reunions (missed the 30 last year). Maybe I'll do the 50th just to see who's still around.:)

don moore
10/07/2009, 10:24 AM
well hell.. i joined the face book group of vehicrossers that had the most peps

ZEUS
10/07/2009, 11:01 AM
KAT, I JUST WENT POOPY! ;)

pbkid
10/07/2009, 11:31 AM
ya, i dont visit facebook very often and im a college kid (like once a month)....
5 years ago when i found it and i was freshly out of high school i thought it was awesome, but nowadays i could care less what people are doing that i never talk to or are going to care about in 10 years...

anyone that matters to me, is: my family, my close friends and some people here.

but seriously look for the FB group guys... the one that we are a part of is the one with ryan (littlebeast)'s VX for a pic...

handeeman
10/07/2009, 11:38 AM
I have to agree with Dub, Kat, T4B and some of the others. I'm not on Facebook. I do go on Mugshot every once in a while just to keep up with the old "gang".
Plus I've never been to a class reunion, I don't wanna hang out with old people. The last time I was in my home town, I had to make an emergency stop at the dentist. I was sitting there when this elderly lady walked in and sat down. She just kept looking at me and finally said isn't your name Mike ? I said yes. She said "you were in my class, don't you remember?" I said dunno, what'd you teach ? She said "I meant we were in the 12th grade together." The waiting room was rather quiet after that.

Dumke
10/07/2009, 12:55 PM

LMAO Justin you beat me to it..

"I just went and pee'd"..

I am changing that to my status now thanks for the idea :D

Um seriously tho facebook/twitter.. all I am gonna say is read my sig :p

Edit:: Yes I do have one tho, need to find the group.

crotchrocket
10/07/2009, 01:25 PM
im on it, feel free to say hello!!

Chopper
10/07/2009, 01:52 PM
My kida in Pa.....my friends in LA....My brother in Humbolt...Paul in Breda Netherlands.....all people I love...all people I rarely see...and actually talk to once a month or less. I now exchange a few paragraphs with each of them almost daily. I like it. H.S. people forgot me long ago....no worries there. When they say.."Are you...." I say "Nope, not me"

VX KAT
10/07/2009, 09:44 PM
LMFAO ROFL...Justin that one made my day, no, my week!!!:laugho::laugho::laugho:

lasturbo
10/07/2009, 11:00 PM
I'm on it but hard to keep up with it (dependent on how many friends you have and the content they write and how often they write on it). Heck, on my late hour nights after hanging on our site (like the Dubster), I float over to facebook and play Zynga Texas Hold'em Poker!!!

don moore
10/08/2009, 01:32 AM
lol..i know what you mean .. i got one and now all my inlaws post stuf like that( were going to the movie)...???? what

CrnCnn
10/08/2009, 06:41 AM
I'm on it but hard to keep up with it (dependent on how many friends you have and the content they write and how often they write on it). Heck, on my late hour nights after hanging on our site (like the Dubster), I float over to facebook and play Zynga Texas Hold'em Poker!!!

I dont know why I am bringing this up cause I never play any of the games or farm stuff on facebook. But it would be cool to see some of the group get together for that sort of game night. I dont play call of duty or anything like that like the others but something simple where we could chat back and forth too would be cool.

tom4bren
10/08/2009, 06:51 AM

DOOOOOD. TMD

ZEUS
10/08/2009, 10:12 AM
LMFAO ROFL...Justin that one made my day, no, my week!!!:laugho::laugho::laugho:
It actually made my day better too! :p

tom4bren
10/08/2009, 10:19 AM
Shall we call you 'skid mark' from now on???

ZEUS
10/08/2009, 10:21 AM
Just look out for brown lightning! Probly means I had chili....

tom4bren
10/08/2009, 10:26 AM
So many potential responses to that ... & none of them below the 'family oriented' threshold.

Tempting but ...

I have no response to that.

ZEUS
10/08/2009, 12:51 PM
Let's take it to facebook then! ;) PM works too...

SilverBullet75
10/08/2009, 03:54 PM
I just joined the "Vehicross....tuff" group. Had the most people.

Jim K. Silver...

nocturnalVX
10/08/2009, 04:05 PM
Been on facebook for a while now. Caved in to pressure from family & friends. No big deal, but a nice way to stay in touch with people. I am on VX.info way more often.

wekilled
10/08/2009, 04:36 PM
I too lurk on Facebook (Doug Wekell) pretty easy to find.

JHarris1385
10/08/2009, 07:50 PM
John Robert Harris II - I will just slowly add everyone as a friend from the larger of the groups (the one with littlebeasts pic).

Riff Raff
10/11/2009, 04:10 AM
I had never been on FaceBook until I read this specific thread. My curiousity peaked. So, I went on the FaceBook website-- logged-in and created a profile of myself.

Then; I found a few old classmates of mine from High School & College, so I sent a few people a quick "hello, it's me" message along with my direct computer E-Mail address within my message(s). I expected to get a reply from at least one person in my regular computer E-Mail inbox within a brief time period; but nothing.

Puzzled by the no response, I decided to send myself a FaceBook message as a communication-link test-run. Well; I got my own test message in my own FaceBook inbox, but did not receive any tickler notification in my regular computer E-Mail inbox. Disturbed, I then queried the FAQ section of FaceBook and painfully discovered that when a message is sent to a friend it is only delivered in their FaceBook inbox without any tickler notification to a person's regular computer E-Mail inbox.

This fact really pisses me off!!! Who knows when a person is gonna' happen to log-in to their FaceBook account again; it could be tomorrow, or 3 frickin' years from now or maybe even never!!!

Case & Point: Here on Vehicross.Info, when someone PM's you, then you get a tickler notification (actually, a duplicate of the complete PM message) sent to your regular computer E-Mail inbox. It's not required to actually log back in to the Vehicross.Info site in order to just read the original PM message. I truly wish FaceBook would send a tickler notification to the recipients regular computer E-Mail inbox at least saying "Hey, you have a new FaceBook message within your account". Without this regular computer E-Mail tickler notification, messages within FaceBook can become dormant for years until the recipient happens to login next time (if ever). In this regard, FaceBook is a P.O.S.!!!:thumbdn::mado:

johnnyapollo
10/11/2009, 05:36 AM
You can turn on the tickler - it's disabled as a setting by default after getting feedback from users.

-- John

Riff Raff
10/11/2009, 06:18 AM
You can turn on the tickler - it's disabled as a setting by default after getting feedback from users.

-- John

Thanx a million, John. I'll go back to the FaceBook website and see if I can find the feature, and then re-activate it. Afterwhich, I'll then do a self-test again and see if I'm notified in my own regular computer E-Mail inbox (I hope).

Chopper
10/11/2009, 07:30 AM
Thanx a million, John. I'll go back to the FaceBook website and see if I can find the feature, and then re-activate it. Afterwhich, I'll then do a self-test again and see if I'm notified in my own regular computer E-Mail inbox (I hope).

John beat me to it.....Every thing any one of your contacts types, is e-mailed to you. I had to set up a seperate e-mail, for that purpose

Spike
10/11/2009, 09:33 AM
I use it too ... have a few VX owners on my list. But the funny thing is, I dont know who they are compared to their user name here :P

alanpike
10/16/2009, 09:49 AM
I like Facebook I find a few old ghosts every week ....makes the world smaller.

tom4bren
10/27/2009, 11:27 AM
"I just went and pee'd":

ROFL. Some folks even take pix (gotta look at the photo title).

Edit:

Oops. It would help if I included the link to the photo. Sorry.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7626/ppuser/122

Gussie2000
10/27/2009, 07:22 PM
Ok,so let's drop in here our nicknames to add friends :smilewink

Riff Raff
10/27/2009, 07:44 PM
Ok,so let's drop in here our nicknames to add friends :smilewink

Gussie2000--- It's super easy to specifically request certain friends on FACEBOOK that are also members here on Vehicross.Info.

All you have to do is look at a VX member's profile on this blog/forum and find out their exact "E-Mail Address". Then, re-visit FACEBOOK and do a search for that exact "E-Mail Address". If the VX member is also on FACEBOOK, his/her name will pop-up from the "E-Mail Address" search.

Afterwhich, you simply send a request to be friends (along with a Message in the request that you're part of the VX blog/forum gang, so you don't frighten them).

JHarris1385
10/27/2009, 09:34 PM
Its nothing like the old days where you needed to have a college email account with an accredited school to be able to sign up.

WormGod
10/28/2009, 07:02 AM
Its nothing like the old days where you needed to have a college email account with an accredited school to be able to sign up.

It's nothing like the old days.... when in college, there was no such thing as "email". :p

VX KAT
10/28/2009, 08:35 AM
It's nothing like the old days.... when in college, there was no such thing as "email". :p
:laugho::laugho: x2....Older Dudes & Dudettes RULE!!*****

tom4bren
10/28/2009, 08:37 AM
I had computer access when I was in college. The punch card reader was even located in the building where most of my classes were held.

BTW, I fixed post #43. For some reason, the URL did not get attached.

handeeman
10/28/2009, 09:07 AM

I had computer access when I was in college. The punch card reader was even located in the building where most of my classes were held.

Like I said I don't do facebook, I do visit "Mugshot", just to keep up with the old gang. When I went to college we used an abacus and some of the nerds had a slide rule. I remember teasing "ole Bill" about trying to come up with something better. If ya wanted to send mail really fast ya bribed the Pony Express rider. Oh and I still tease Bill, but I call him Mr. Gates.

VCrossfan
10/28/2009, 11:06 AM
:laugho::laugho: x2....Older Dudes & Dudettes RULE!!*****

X3,, My daughter and other friends got me interested in facebook like the same reasons you Kat there all about facebook more than email. I'll look for the VX area.

johnnyapollo
10/28/2009, 04:11 PM
I originally joined right when they opened it up to everyone (previously it was students only) - just to write up requirements for an integration into my then company, ScreamingSports.com - afterward it pretty much laid dormant for about a year. Then the baby-boomer crowd started getting into it heavily and I ended up with many friend requests on a daily basis - mostly people I'd known in the past or went to school with - as a lark I just let anyone "friend" me. These days the activity has really slowed down and no, I'm not interested in the new boil you had lanced on your back, or that you just "pooed" - those posts can stay on twitter where they belong (don't have an account there nor do I want one - FB fills any "social networking" needs that I will probably ever have).

-- John

VX KAT
11/02/2009, 05:03 PM
I finally surrendered when two good friends joined and seemed to abandon "traditional" email....:( So yeah, I've joined, but I can't stand it, don't check it often, and can't understand why anybody wants to waste their time reading stuff like "watcha doin tonight?" or "that's so cool" or "I just went and pee'd"...these are 3 actual posts I've seen....:laugho::laugho::laugho::laugho:

Nope, facebook isn't for me.....and don't even get me started on Twitter or even speaketh the word "tweet"...cuz "what's been heard can never be unheard"! :_brickwal:

Anybody catch comedian Jim Norton on Jay Leno last week???....I knew I wasn't alone....:laugho:
http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/jim-norton-uninvited-guest/1170908/

Cobrajet
11/03/2009, 02:11 PM
I did see that, and I can relate...

I belong to a forum where they post every Twitter update for the forum host. It get's so annoying sometimes. Here are a couple posted up TODAY (names changed to protect the innnocent)...

*host*: ###### jus secretly farted n people r askin wht the smell is! Ha. She said she dnt kno. Liar!

*###*: just farted n it went down my throat! -quote from family guy.

Puleeeeze!! Give me a break. The whole thing seems rediculous anyway, but to tell all your "followers" that your friend just farted?? Occassionally there is a worthy piece of information posted, but it's not worth sifting through the crap to find it. Hopefully Twitter will just be a fad, like email...

mindaugas
01/26/2011, 11:05 AM
I created a group, if someone else has send me the link. I couldn't find one in the search on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_125507620852767&ap=1

wekilled
01/26/2011, 01:40 PM
I had already joined the existing Vehicross sites on FB (I think there were two that I found). I really don't want to join another. I really don't log on to the FB ones that I have already as this forum is a better fit for information. FB for me is more for screwing around, and keeping in touch with family and military buddies, less with technical questions and the sort of stuff on this site. Applaud the efforts though.