PDA

View Full Version : Upper Ball Joint Problems

crotchrocket
10/04/2009, 08:36 AM
Front end was loose for a while, thought it was a wheel bearing but notice when i did a ball joint flip that they were dead, so i ordered a set for a UBS 25 Trooper which is the 92 - 98 3.2V6 they dont seam to be tapered in the same way, and when tight there is a small gap between the rubber of the ball joint and the top of the hub whrere it moun ts. These ones also have a grease nipple on the top but they seamed to fit ok, now 2 weeks on and the wheels are loose and theres a knocking on the front end over bumps etc and the things are loose again, i've re tightened the castle nut up but the movement seams to be between the ball and socket. These things are brand new and were totally tight when fitted.

Couldnt have got 2 faulty ball joints?? Any ideas?? the VX is lifted, would that put any greater stress on these parts?? Or did i not get the right ones??

this was the part http://www.milneroffroad.com/img/productImages/10726.jpg

on this page http://www.milneroffroad.com/categories.asp?cID=9981

nfpgasmask
10/04/2009, 07:13 PM
Could this be because of the ball joint flip?

Bart

crotchrocket
10/05/2009, 02:38 AM
Loads of people have done it to correct the camber though haven't they??

Its quite worrying to be honest and i was hoping to go mudding on sunday :(

PK
10/05/2009, 03:17 AM
Crotchy, you mentioned that the taper did not seem to be the same.

The taper has to be exact, as that is what locks the 2 parts together.
If the shaft taper, and the hole taper, are even slightly out, they will come loose in days.
This is because instead of having a nice long matching surface when you do the nuts up, the incorrect taper only seats on the very narrow surface where the 2 tapers first touch. After a couple of days driving, the small areas work against each other and wear, causing the nuts to appear loose even if the split pin is still in the castle nut (if that is what we have - I have not looked).

You are going to have to measure the taper to check if they are the same.
There is 2 ways of doing this -
1. Simply by eye side by side.
2. The real way is to measure the small dia, the large dia, and the length between.
All 3 dimensions would need to be within 0.01mm or 0.004" to be correct.
To measure them, you would need a vernier to read the measurements, or a set of callipers to compare one to the other.

You will need to do this quickly because if it is wrong it will be creating wear to both surfaces, not just the ball joint.

No mudding until you are happy that this has been eliminated.

Hope above helps.

PK

crotchrocket
10/05/2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks bud, i'll have to check it out ! i fear your right !! definately felt like the ball was moving in the sicket though

crotchrocket
10/05/2009, 06:22 AM
Just spoke to Greesemonkey (listed on my mobile as vcross guru !! ) and ball joints are the same, these ones where £17 each and turns out the OEM Vauxhall or Isuzu ones Are £113 each :_wtf: unbelievable!! he recomended....and i think i will do it....to get some Vauxhall Frontere B ball joints from a scrap yard. Also milner off road are going to take these ones back to see if they failed.

Greasemonkey
10/06/2009, 02:53 PM
Cheers matey i like the phone listing - could be better though ? :-)
i think you have been and gone on 'milner stuff' lol
cheers
Steve