PDA

View Full Version : Speedhut Custom Gauges - Order Now!

Inaba
08/04/2003, 09:04 AM
http://www.speedhut.com/15orders_el_detail.asp?auto_number=41&bhcp=1

Above is the link for the pre-order page from SpeedHut for our custom gauges. We need a minimum of 25 pre-orders to have the guage panel fabricated... so get your pre-orders in!

The base cost is $99.95 - and you can customize the colors and/or add Indiglo dials!

There are some really cool color combinations and logo's/fonts. You can even add your own logos or text if you want!

You can't really beat $99 bucks for a custom set of dials on the VX. Get those pre-orders in!

Questions?

PS -

Moncha, can you maybe put this on the main page in a box or something so we can get the pre-order requirement filled?

Native_V_ha
08/04/2003, 11:52 AM
:D Got my order in fellas....Lets keep it moving, only 23 more to go then we can get our stuff... I know i am not the only one on here thats been looking and searching for something like this....

AlaskaVX
08/04/2003, 12:38 PM
I like how they have that set up, its fun to play with. Anyway when I have money I will order, but it might take me a month. Could someone make a .jpg of the Vehicross logo and email it to me? Is it a pain to put this in once I recieve it? I haven't been following this, since I wasn't too into it before, but now that I can play with the colors and whatnot I'm interested.

Thanx in advance,
Alan

paultvx
08/04/2003, 12:56 PM
Is there a deadline for this?

XCross69
08/04/2003, 12:57 PM
How hard is the instalation of the guages?? What all does it involve? For sure will probably get this mod!!

02RodeoS
08/04/2003, 01:25 PM
guys guys guys what are you up 2 i was looking at the ISUZU TROOPER 94-95 and it looks like they fit except for the TOD but gas is the same but not temp. look http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=ISU%2DTRO%2D9495%2DWHXX%2DXXXX%2DRV GX

Inaba
08/04/2003, 02:24 PM
Is there a deadline for this?

There is no deadline... but they won't start fabricating the inserts until we have 25 pre-orders.

I like how they have that set up, its fun to play with. Anyway when I have money I will order, but it might take me a month. Could someone make a .jpg of the Vehicross logo and email it to me? Is it a pain to put this in once I recieve it? I haven't been following this, since I wasn't too into it before, but now that I can play with the colors and whatnot I'm interested.

They are fairly easy to put in. The dash cluster I sent in was easy to disassemble... I played with the dials a little bit before I sent it in :) It's all snap together.

Removing the cluster from the dash is a little more involved, but not overly so. Kinda scarey if you've never done it before though.

Remember, this is a pre-order, not an order. So your card won't be charged until there are 25 people ordering. You can put your pre-order in now, and there won't be any funds withdrawn until we hit the magic number.

Spazz-

The price includes the Indiglo transformer and everything... $99 for that is pretty reasonable. Regardless, the price will probably never go down so you're gonna be waitin' a long time :)

WormGod
08/05/2003, 10:06 AM
Easy to install. Installation is actually a LOT faster than the breakdown of the cluster, heh.

I put my order in. And considering it is a steep $100 for such an item, it is still rare and a great opportunity to get something that no manufacturer makes to date for the VX. C'mon, we are pioneers and pioneers have to go out on the line sometimes. ;)

WyrreJ
08/05/2003, 07:00 PM
Will they put their speedhut logo on them like the web-based design tool shows right under the RPM text? I would expect for that kind of money not to be driving around with somebody's advertisement on my dash.

Jonnie
08/05/2003, 07:47 PM
What happens in the TOD area?

paultvx
08/05/2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Jonnie
What happens in the TOD area?

Stated on the page... overlays will be provided... same for the gas gauge etc. Would be nice to see it but what's shown should give you a pretty clear idea.

BlackVX
08/06/2003, 07:48 AM
I couldn't pass on that one. I put my order in!

I think this upgrade would make a nice face lift to the VX boring dash.

As for now, we need 20 more people...

Michael

Inaba
08/06/2003, 02:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are no speedhut logos on it when shipped.

I will doublecheck that to be sure though. I agree 100%. If I buy something, I expect to either a) be paid for advertising for a company or b) not be FORCED to advertise.

Before I drive a new car off the lot, I always scrape the dealer sticker off the back tha they put on. One time, the dealer asked me what I was doing... I told him that if he's not paying me to advertise his dealership, I'm not going to drive around with his name plastered on my vehicle.

BlackVX
08/07/2003, 07:38 AM
I looked the other models on the web site and they do have a logo from speedhut. Although they put it so low that I don't think it will show up once installed.
(We should confirm with them though)

I like it , I like it! I bought the new Corolla S and they have this kind on gauges too. It's pretty cool at night.

SpeedHut is waiting to get only $2500 before putting this idea to production. I think the $100 is a fair price considering that this mod is such limited. On top of that, it will be admired every time you'll drive.

It's right in your face :)

Inaba
08/07/2003, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure why they set the limit at 25, instead of 20.

I can probably knuckle them under at 20 when we get there. When I "signed up," it said it needed 20 pre-orders. Once we hit 20, I'll press the issue.

The VX gauges have been one of my biggest sticking points. I hate the dash in the VX, it looks so 80's... and retro is not cool.

A nice yellow indiglo for my proton is just what the doctor ordered!

paultvx
08/07/2003, 02:44 PM
If I get this job I'm interviewing for, I'm definitly in. Should know for sure sometime next week or so. Already had 4 interviews.

Dallas4u
08/07/2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
If I get this job I'm interviewing for, I'm definitly in. Should know for sure sometime next week or so. Already had 4 interviews.

;eekb; Good luck!!! ;)

Simon Templar
08/07/2003, 09:14 PM
Regarding the Speedhut logo....I would be looking for a way to get rid of it, myself. I agree with those not wanting to be unwilling billboards for the company.

However, possibly this is a non-issue afterall. Assuming that the generic mock up on their site is somewhat identical in proportion to the real thing (yes, I know, that's a BIG assumption) .....it appears that the shown 'SpeedHut' logo is low enough on the gauge face as to be covered by the panel overlay.

Compare the generic with the pic they provide of a real VX cluster and you will see what I mean.

Am still trying to decide whether or not I am in on this one. I like some of what's there. Just wish they had other possible typeface styles than what is shown on the site. What's there pretty much all leaves me cold.

By the way....perhaps I am just dense, but I'll ask anyway......is this to be an install-it-yourself proposition? Or are we to eventually ship a cluster for them to install upon? If the latter, those who can't or don't want to be without their cluster for an extended period of time might want to mentally factor in the cost of another cluster along with the upfront price of this mod.

Just a thought....

....sT

paultvx
08/07/2003, 11:24 PM
Simon: It's a DIY installation. I believe Inaba sent a cluster to them just so they could get the dimensions and have plans drawn up.

Adam: Thanks. Crossing my fingers.

VXMAN
08/08/2003, 05:39 AM
Here's a dumb question? I've had my dash apart once, that's not a problem. But, how do you remove the needles to install the overlay, then replace them without damage? Do the needles come out easy? Also, what about the center of our dash? Will the center section also in El-Glo, or will they just have a cutout to allow the stock center section to show through? I would also like to see an example of the entire console, with both side done. I'd hate to order, then have the sides be pure stock, and only the two big dials El-Glo!

Dave...

Joe_Black
08/08/2003, 05:42 AM
The needles just pop off and snap back on. AS far as the side displays, according to the web site and posts above the entire panel is done.

I'm in as soon as I can decide on colors and such!

Moncha
08/08/2003, 06:31 AM
According to the instructions on the site, you only need to "thread" the needles through the center holes of the panel so as to not mess with calibration. No need to remove them from the guage.
I'm still thinking on this one... I like it all especially the ability to make the colors to the ones I want but, am NOT thrilled with their choice of type faces. The only one that even looks good to me is the euro one and that is just as boring as the OEM panels. If they could add a cutom type that would be cool because I have a specific one picked out.

Inaba
08/08/2003, 08:19 AM
I'll ask about the custom type faces.

The Speedhut logo can be removed completely for an additional $10. Yea, I know... what a crock, but at least they give you the option of removing the logo...

You can add logos to the any of the gauge faces. I think it'd be cool to have the dragon on top of the TOD gauge! I think I may go for that ;)

paultvx
08/08/2003, 10:25 AM
Well, in that case they should give us all a $10 for keeping their logo. $10 extra to remove the logo?? I see, said the blind man.

Jonnie
08/08/2003, 10:30 AM
That really suxs. Depending on how it is printed/applied, could it be removed? Maybe someone who is familiar with their product can comment.

Jonathan

loco6464
08/08/2003, 11:42 AM
Thats cool. I love the C/F face we already have but it would be cool to have something that fit the overall vehicle image. I would love to see the final product if anyone gets this please post a pic.

:)

Inaba
08/08/2003, 03:06 PM
Good news --

If we come up with our own set of fonts, we can send them to them and they can use those...

Not exactly sure how many fonts we can send it, so probably get good to get 3 or 4 good ones and then package them up and I'll send them to them to include for our gauges.

Anyone got some examples of Fonts they'd like to see?

Moncha
08/08/2003, 03:18 PM
Not to be difficult but, do you know if they use Mac or PC? It'll make a difference on the font files. The one I want to use is the font used for this site, it looks like the original Isuzu font.

IsuZOOM
08/08/2003, 04:54 PM
I'd like to find something like the font on the VehiCROSS badging.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/326vehicross_logo.jpg

omegavx
08/08/2003, 07:50 PM
Anyone know if they actually answer email? I tried contacting them about ordering multiple dial's with only 1 inverter. But, I havn't gotten a response as of yet.

What I'd like to do is come up with say 3 or 4 designs I really like. Then when they get here test each one, pick the one or two I like the best and then maybe sell the others for cost (ie: minus inverter). If I like them all, I might just keep them and switch them out every couple of months.

If they allowed this then my order alone would get us alot closer to the goal, assuming each dial minus inverter added to the required count.

If somone has contacted them before did you email or call them? I'm wondering if calling them would be a better idea.

Simon Templar
08/08/2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
According to the instructions on the site, you only need to "thread" the needles through the center holes of the panel so as to not mess with calibration......

....Not to be difficult but, do you know if they use Mac or PC? It'll make a difference on the font files.

Hmmm.....not sure if I believe in the practicality of 'threading' the existing hands through holes in a new overlay. The holes in the overlay would have to be HUGE to fit over the large hubs of our hands. Not saying it is impossible...only saying I cannot see how that could be done without it sticking out like a sore thumb once installed.

As for typefaces.....I have practically (if not completely) all of the Adobe Mac fonts, should we need one from their library. As an aside....whats the legality of supplying it to SpeedHut ...it being a copyrighted property?

....sT

Moncha
08/08/2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by IsuZOOM
I'd like to find something like the font on the VehiCROSS badging.

Randy, I have a font that is quite similar if you'd like. Just give me a bit to find it.

technocoy
08/08/2003, 10:55 PM
their site is retarded, and i can't get to the link!! it keeps asking me for the flash player... I'm a frickin' website/mulitmedia designer for christs sake!!! i have the latest version of the flash player.... this is why they should include a progress anyway button on their site! i would like to see the gauges and such, i would be very interested in purchasing... i may even like to send my own font in if possible.. thanks guys.

technocoy

paultvx
08/08/2003, 11:19 PM
Must be something with your browser. IE 5 for mac and no problems with the site whatsoever.

Moncha
08/09/2003, 06:04 AM
Agreed, IE6 (PC) works great. Are you using NS?

Joe_Black
08/09/2003, 07:36 AM
So that must be what it feels like to be in the Mac Minority representing less than 3% of world computing.

LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist!:mbrasd:

paultvx
08/09/2003, 10:28 AM
3% and no problems. Beat that.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/09/2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by technocoy
... this is why they should include a progress anyway button on their site!

technocoy

They do!

technocoy
08/09/2003, 02:10 PM
just like the less than 3 percent that drive the VX... think different man, nothin' you can do on pc i can't do on a Mac (especially a G5) mmmmmm... goodness in an aluminum case... lol i can even run winblows... but i wouldn't dare subject myself to that kind of torture!:D

technocoy

oh i found that it's because i'm running the beta version of flash 7 plug-in. I'll look at it at work on monday... i'm still on 6 there. I don't see any proceed anyway button. maybe i'm blind.

yal^
08/09/2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Inaba
I'll ask about the custom type faces.

The Speedhut logo can be removed completely for an additional $10. Yea, I know... what a crock, but at least they give you the option of removing the logo...

You can add logos to the any of the gauge faces. I think it'd be cool to have the dragon on top of the TOD gauge! I think I may go for that ;)

Well, not to be a little off straight thinking, but since they want to charge for keeping their logo off gauges, maybe they could put VehiCross logo on it - if there would be no copy rights problems with it. Or at least something WE know, like VX... Just a little idea.

Daver
08/09/2003, 04:19 PM
I was thinking maybe the oval Isuzu logo on the tach, the VehiCROSS logo on the speedo. Have to watch out for the odometer, though.

Maybe the ISUZU lettering on our grill would look better than the oval though...or maybe the oval with ISUZU under it. VehiCROSS would have to be kinda small to fit above the odometer...maybe too small?

Just some ideas.

I don't like the fonts, and I don't like the colors. Since we can fix the font, I guess that just leaves the colors. :)

Too bad we can't get gauges illuminated like Lexus and Honda gauges.

-Daver

WyrreJ
08/09/2003, 05:46 PM
$10 to remove their logo and $25 for a custom logo. I'm sure that if they will even accept a new font, it will also require an extra charge. I feel like I am being nickle-and-dimed. No offense to you Inaba, or the effort (and dollars) that you've put in on their behalf, but I've got enough of a sour taste about their attitude that I think I'm going to take the zero dollar option for keeping their logo off my dashboard.

IsuZOOM
08/09/2003, 06:28 PM
I don't think it's that out of line, you're paying for their time and the addition of non-standard items. Last night I had to pay extra for cheese on my fries, too :)

Jonnie
08/09/2003, 06:51 PM
What? No cheese on those fries? $10 please!

Jonathan

Joe_Black
08/09/2003, 08:00 PM
I think a little time with a razor and some good 3M vinyl will turn that pesky Speedhut logo into the Isuzu logo like magic. We're VXers, we know how to improvise!;pg;

IsuZOOM
08/09/2003, 08:55 PM
The cheese was a lot more than 10% too ;)

paultvx
08/10/2003, 12:59 AM
It IS out of line. Imagine having to pay extra to not have cheese on your fries. Or not have mayo in your burger or sandwich. It cost them less time to not have their logos on there. Charging us $10 to have it omitted is a win-win situation for them. Those who don't want to do it are forced to advertise for them. Those who can will only add to their pot of profit which I am sure is in the neighborhood of 10%-30% of the original price without options.

Personally, the speedhut logo doesn't bother me that much. Their logo is decent and far better than some I have seen. As for the extra options... screw that. Less is more anyway. KISS.

IsuZOOM
08/10/2003, 08:01 AM
If it makes you feel better about it, you can always consider the price as $110, and you can save $10 by putting their logo on it :)

kpaske
08/10/2003, 09:33 AM
So they are paying us to advertise!

yal^
08/10/2003, 03:22 PM
I would even pay for Isuzu logo, or VX logo on gauges, I understand extra charges. The thing is, even though it says on the site that the rest for TOD and extras would be provided, I can't visualize it just based on the applet we can play with. I would love to see the final product in at least one color, in full so I can see how is it going to look like after installation.

Oh yes, and I am having problem with installation - who would do it for me, since the only machines I dare to use a screwdriver on are my computers? But that I can worry about later...
Still, the fact they want $10 extra for keeping their name off the gauges is not fair...

Inaba, thx for all your efforts, whatever the results are gonna be :thanx:

BlackVX
08/11/2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Moncha
Randy, I have a font that is quite similar if you'd like. Just give me a bit to find it.

Here is the Isuzu font

http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=1871

The font is called "Usuzi"

Michael

Moncha
08/11/2003, 08:07 AM
You can actually download the Usuzi font on the front page of this site, it's the font used in the larger category bars.
THe font that Randy is talking about is one that matches the VehiCROSS logo not the Isuzu one.. I have it, just need to be out of work long enough to find it.

IsuZOOM
08/11/2003, 08:44 AM
Don't worry about it right now, unless someone else is also yearning for it?

coachreed
08/11/2003, 09:26 PM
Well, I'm planning on buying into this madness... just have to decide on color... I think its gonna be just plain white with black... to match the Ironman motif... I would like to know what the "white carbon fiber" looks like though... just curious. As for threading the needles... I have installed a set of gauges onto a mustang (they might have been speedhut's) where the needles thread through... it worked out quite nice... especially considering I had fugged up my gas gauge on my Trans Am when installing a set of gauges that you had to remove the needles. As for the price, I don't see it being anywhere out of line. My white gauge faces I had in my '98 Trans Am weren't even Indiglo and they cost me $135! El-Glo gauges for $100 doesn't sound to bad to me... and their logo isn't really that bad IMO.

Anyway, when I get back from the east coast (Aug 18th), I'll most likely put my order in. TTYL!

Dallas4u
08/11/2003, 10:25 PM
I installed a set of gauges on my old Prelude, and you definitely had to take the needles off to get them on. By doing this, you have to spend a lot of time getting the needles right again while idling and such.

Of course, that was the Prelude, not the VX. If they say you don't have to take the needles off, then I guess you don't!

Navigator
08/13/2003, 06:23 AM
The OEM carbon fiber with red lighting color scheme is perfect for silver VX's. I still want to see how these aftermarket inserts work/look without removing the needles. :?:

WormGod
08/13/2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Navigator
I still want to see how these aftermarket inserts work/look without removing the needles. :?:

We will probably never know if we dont get more buyers. ;pg;

"5" just aint cuttin it.

omegavx
08/13/2003, 10:17 PM
Here were my question to speedhut several days ago

1. What will be done in the "TOD" area if anything.
2. What will be done in the gas/oil gauge area?
3. I'm interested in purchasing several different styles of gauges, but only need 1 inverter. Is there a way I can add say 3 orders but only get shipped and pay for 1 inverter? If so how much would it cost for the three seperate dials and then a single inverter? I'd like them to be shipped together if possible.

Here's the response I got from them

I hope this answers your questions.
The TOD area will be just like the factory Nothing will be supplied for this area. Gas/ oil gauge will be supplied with the kit just like the speedo and tach. You would need 1 inverter for each kit. But if you only need 1 inverter for all three sets the price would be the same. 99.95 each set.

Sounds like a ripe off to me, why would I pay $99.95 for inverter's that I dont need. They should really give you the option not to have to buy the inverters and just get the dials by themselves with some kind of discount.

AREA 51
08/14/2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by omegavx

The TOD area will be just like the factory Nothing will be supplied for this area.

Joe_Black
08/14/2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the research OmegaVX. I'll have to sit in the VX for a while and ponder how lop-sided it's going to look without anything different for the TOD display. I was going to put my deposit in today but fortunately decided to check this thread. I'm really thinking I'll have to pass now without any TOD.:mad:

VX-KING
08/14/2003, 06:21 AM
i've been reading all these speedhut Gauges replys and i am also on that waiting list cuz they need 25 people that have VX's
Well that kind of S@CK's but i hope they could make us gauges cuz i been disigning my on gauges its way different what you guys thinking about.
:cool:

VX-KING
08/14/2003, 06:24 AM
i've been reading all these speedhut Gauges replys and i am also on that waiting list cuz they need 25 people that have VX's
Well that kind of S@CK's but i hope they could make us gauges cuz i been disigning my on gauges its way different what you guys thinking about.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool

BlackVX
08/14/2003, 07:16 AM
Well I attemped to picture what it is going to look like on my VX.

According to the latest news we should have something like that right?

version 1
http://www.websubstance.com/vx/gauges.jpg

I was was more hoping for something like this:
vesrion 2
http://www.websubstance.com/vx/gauges2.jpg

I'm a little disapointed with the version 1 because it looks like a job half-way done. I would love to see the PRNDL and the TOD gauges too.

Michael

WormGod
08/14/2003, 08:19 AM
Realistically, #2 can be done, it's the lighting that is not likely. Once you crack open the case, all of that will be made accessible. I actually plan on checking out the lights within the TOD panel to see if they can be capped with color boots. Also, the facing on the areas that you want to be made white (whatever color you want) can be airbrushed with a flat to get that appearance like the areas that Speedhut is doing. Sure, its some work on your part, but thats the beauty of modding. You do it, you appreciate it more. They got my $99 and I still anticipate getting my grubby hands on it afterwards to see what more I can do. ;)

omegavx
08/14/2003, 09:34 AM
I think the TOD not being done does make it look unfinished only because its the same type of overlay. So when you look at the gauges and see the depth of them, having 3 one color and the 4th a totally different color would make it look un-finished and out of place. Yeah I could probably do a mod to it myself, but what if I order gauges that have the flames or some kind of graphic on them, having it the current color or moding it myself becomes pretty ugly and difficult.

Just curious, but has anyone else found a different place that makes custom gauges? I know speed hut can't be the only place in the US, maybe we can find a place that will do exactly what we want with all the areas and provide some additional colors etc. I tried searching the net for alittle while the other day and found one custom place that did indiglo gagues, but they didn't have a good custom selection (ie: they'd do them but they all had to be the same white carbon fiber look etc.) My big thing with it isn't the TOD not being completed, even though that annoys me. Its the fact that I have to pay $99.00 whether I want an inverter or not. I mean yeah I'm getting custom gauges, but the inverter has to be at least 1/3 if not 1/2 the cost involved. What happends if I dont want a blue/green inverter and I want say a purple/pink inverter? I dont, but what if I did? I'd still get charged full price, plus I'd have to pay more out of pocket for my own inverter.

BTW, I'd like to thank Inaba for doing all the research on this and getting everything moving. :thumbup:

Inaba
08/14/2003, 10:06 AM
I've spoken to Speedhut and voiced our concernes. They've agreed to provide a TOD overlay as well with the package... so the only "stock" part would be the shift position.

I believe they may provide that as well if that's what we *really* want, but after thinking about it, I think it may be ok in black. I'm not so sure it would look very good with another color around it.

So... to sum up - TOD will be included in the package with your specified colors.

We can choose one additional font we want for the guages, so lets pick a font we can all agree on and then send it to them.

I'm not sure what can be done about the inverter part though. Yea, it's kind of stinky they won't offer just the inserts, I agree.

omegavx
08/14/2003, 10:10 AM
Try to get them to include the center overlay and then each person can decide if they want to use it or not. Somtimes its better to have it and not use it then to not have the option.

Vasha13
08/14/2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks again Inaba for following thru with this for us. I will be adding my name to the list soon just as soon as I can find someone to install these for me.

paultvx
08/14/2003, 10:40 AM
I was going to say if they don't provide the TOD panel then we'd probaby be better off buying the cheaper Trooper kit someone else posted before and use only the panel for the two main gauges. Having the shift indicator stock is fine with me. I think it'll look OK as long as there is symmetry.

omegavx
08/14/2003, 01:53 PM
Ok, so you all dont really know me that well yet. But, I get in the habit of double checking and sometimes triple checking things when I'm going to place an order for somthing custom made. So, I sent off another email to speed hut making sure that the TOD portion would be part of the set and asking if there was any discount at all for not getting an inverter, I usually ask a coupe times, I know it can be annoying but I either get to be annoying so they give me what I want or I get the final answer as being the way it is.

Here is what I asked:
Hi Aaron, I brought these issues up with the group and the main person that organized this took my responses back to you guys. Now he says the TOD gauge will be included along with the speedo, tach and gas/oil gagues. Is this correct? The TOD will be included now?

Also, there is no way to order just the gauges without the inverter and get some type of discount? The inverter has to be at least 1/3 if not 1/2 the total price. I just can't see buying 3 sets and having to get either 3 inverters or not getting them and still paying the full price. So, any chance of just getting additional gauges without inverters or is this non-negotiable?

Here is what they said:
Hi,

The inverter is a very small portion of the gauges themselves. We could take off $8.00 for each set purchased without an inverter. The biggest expense is in the actual Custom Dial not the inverter.

The TRD will NOT be included. The other dials, Gas/Temp etc will be included.

Thanks,
Speedhut.com team

I'm happy with their response about the inverter, I really didn't care how much was taken off just that it's stupid to provide a custom piece that you couldn't seperate out (ie: buy just the dials and not the inverter). So I'm happy with that. The only thing is now they say the "TRD" will NOT be included. I'm assuming this means the "TOD" and not "TRD". So, this being the case, who'd you talk to at speed hut inaba? Did they change their mind? Maybe you talked to the manager and the person responding to me didn't know there was a change. I'd like to hear it directly from speedhut though just to make sure that the TOD IS included and its "guaranteed" to arrive with the rest of the materials when complete. It's not that I don't trust you, but I've had some experience's in the past where the shop screws you on it when the final product comes out. They say they are gonna do somthing then its not the case and they basically say take it like this or dont.

WormGod
08/14/2003, 03:12 PM
Just curious, is there a way to go back and review and possibly CHANGE your options with your order? I scanned around for a sec but couldnt see any option for it. I am about to go back and try again, but if anyone figured this out already, could ya fill me in? Thanks.

If they include the TOD, sweet. Hopefully, this will get ironed out, but regardless, I am still in.

kpaske
08/14/2003, 05:44 PM
I've been following this thread for a while now, and am interested in the custom guages. But I would have been very disappointed had the TOD and shift portions not been done. In fact, I think inserts for the sections above and below the gauges (where the idiot lights are) should be included also! I don't think the price is out of line at all, but the package should be complete. The first picture BlackVX posted just looked like it was half done.

Anyhow, thanks, Inaba, for arranging this nice mod. Once all of this issues get sorted out (and I save up a few more bucks) I'll be jumping on board also.

VehiX
08/14/2003, 07:21 PM
Just out of curiosity...Will they be making the guage bezels as well or just the guage over lays them selves?

I like the bezel option too!! :)

Can we see if while they have the test kit, if they can make the bezeles as well?

If they do this, will anyone be ordering those as well :)

If so, how much more $$$ ?

Thanks Inaba for hooking this up for all of us :cool:

omegavx
08/14/2003, 08:29 PM
Ok, so things continue to develope. I got that message saying the "TRD" wasn't included earlier this afternoon. And tonight I come home and read the following from Aaron, the guy that responded to my original email.

Email from Aaron:
He is right. We will include all panels including the TOD. The inverter is a small part of the total package price. Retail price on our web site is $9.95. Why do you need only 1 inverter? 1 inverter is not powerful enough to drive all 3 panels. The price is not negotiable for the group uys. -$99.95. this covers our tooling expenses with 25 pre-orders. I hope you understand.

So, we're back to having the TOD included and no discount on inverter's. I have one last email in to aaron, just for clarification, about this and I'll let you all know what the finally say is.

paultvx
08/14/2003, 10:16 PM
There's already a bezel. The Rodeo one works. We have the same dash as a 97 Rodeo/Passport.

I hope they are patient with the questions...

IsuZOOM
08/14/2003, 10:27 PM
I agree that it should include everything on the panel - the TOD, the tach, the gear display, the speedo, and the temp/fuel gauges. I'm not sure how well it will all look unless all of these are replaced.

Joe_Black
08/15/2003, 05:55 AM
I could live without the PRNDL peice but definitely have to have TOD. I sat in the VX and just couldn't wing it in my mind without a matching TOD display. And by matching I mean illuminated like the rest of the display. It's all manufactured the same way and I think the TOD display would look particulary cool with some of the options.

OmegaVX: I understand you're frustration on the inverter issue, but keep in mind the stock inverters are very cheap. I suspect Speedhut's cost is probably less than $5 per unit. If you look at similar gauges on eBay and such most of the vendors offer a solid-state inverter updgrade for like $10 or so. You'll probably need the extras as spares!

Inaba: Thanks again for getting this in motion and all your leg-work! Once there's confirmation from Speedhut that the TOD display looks and works like the rest of the package I'll do my deposit, otherwise I'm out.

BlackVX
08/15/2003, 06:04 AM
There's already a bezel. The Rodeo one works. We have the same dash as a 97 Rodeo/Passport.

I hope they are patient with the questions...

The gear display (PRDNL) would be hidden though.

Inaba
08/15/2003, 09:49 AM
Ok, gonna try to address several issues :)

1. The TOD will be included, and I believe Omegavx has gotten secondary confirmation of this now.

2. I was looking at the shift position indicator a little more closely, and I can't see how there could be an overlay for it. If you look at it, the green light to indicate position is behind a *clear* piece of plastic. I think maybe you could get a white strip of plastic to go in place of that black bit, but it would be problematical to install (would require some serious disassembly of the cluster) -- and putting an overlay on top of it would make the light really dim. Maybe someone with more experience in working with the cluster can clarify this?

3. VehiX - I'm not sure which bezels you mean? Can you clarify exactly what you're talking about and I'll try to get a solid answer for you. Unless you are talking about the whole black bezel around the entire cluster -- I don't think that'd be included as I believe that would be beyond the scope of a project like this. It would require plastics molding/injection and tooling for that is fairly expensive, and I believe it would increase the cost something fierce. The upside though is that the bezel would be fairly easy to paint/have painted (and cheap) if you really wanted a different color.

I will ask about an add on option for the bezel... but it will probably cost extra if that's the case.

paultvx
08/15/2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by BlackVX
The gear display (PRDNL) would be hidden though.

You can take it to a plastics shop to have it laser cut to cut out the window for the gear indicator.

Inaba, I think this is what he's talking about.

http://www.speedhut.com/images_products/O-059_blue.jpg Just a simple overlay.

Tone
08/15/2003, 10:53 AM
Realize there is a duplicate gear indicator on the shift console so theoretically the dash one could be completely covered up.

omegavx
08/15/2003, 11:13 AM
1. Ok, looks like we got a final definative :thumbup: on the TOD. It is now included.

Aaron's Response
Sorry about the miss understanding. This was answered by another person.
We have desided to INCLUDE the TOD with the kit. IT will be included, rest
assured.

Again sorry for the mis-communication

2. I agree with inaba, after further examination it would be almost impossible to make a cover for this and still have the lights show through.

3. A custom bezel would probably cost $75 to $125 on its own. If your interested in that I'd say mod the existing one, purchase a custom one for the rodeo and mod it or get another group buy going on the bezel. Its pretty far outside the range of custom gauge inclusion.

Raque Thomas
08/15/2003, 12:30 PM
Speedhut makes the bezel pictured a couple of messages above this one (or makes one identical to it). Since they already have the template, maybe they could cut out the area for the shift indicator inexpensively? They're pretty cheap on eBay ($10) - can't imagine that it would cost too much more to get one that fits the VX. They also have chrome ones on eBay - which might look pretty good.

paultvx
08/15/2003, 12:35 PM
You may think it's cheap to do... but based solely on the fact that they'd have to set up tooling to do it, they will consider it a custom job and seize the opportunity to make $ on it. Anyone else would do the same. They're a business not a charity, so I wouldn't count on it being cheap.

Like Tone mentioned... there is a set of indicators next to the shifter... the ones are the dash are really idiot lights. If you must have it on the dash, it's easy enough to mod the Rodeo bezel on your own. If it's made out of plastic, you can probably do it with very sharp exacto blades, a steady hand, and a lot of patience. A Dremel and a detail file will speed up the work quite a bit.

Joe_Black
08/17/2003, 06:42 PM
Inaba and OmegaVX: Just to be clear, in finding out that the TOD is definitely included was it mentioned whether or not it would also match the illumination?

Thanks!

omegavx
08/17/2003, 07:47 PM
They did not specify what illumination would look like only that they would appear in the same manner as the other gauges. I guess I assumed this meant lighting would be the same as well (ie: built off of the indiglo system).

Inaba, can you confirm this?

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/17/2003, 08:55 PM
I just ordered my kit......:D

I specified the TOD display and told them I wanted the O.E.M.
gear display to remain functional.

If they don't honor these two requests I'll figure something out on my own!:rolleyes:

Thanks for trying to make this group buy happen!;)

WormGod
08/18/2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
I specified the TOD display and told them I wanted the O.E.M.
gear display to remain functional.

It is my understanding that the TOD addition is automatically part of the deal, as well as the stock gear display, am I correct? It best be, since I have no center console dummy lights anymore, with my shifter boots installed. I am thinking that with ALL of these ideas popping up and all these emails shooting off to Speedhut, I may end up getting a stereo face that would fit the space shuttle. Let's try not to confuse Speedhut into delivering us painted waffles.

So, just for the record (and correct me if I am wrong), Speedhut is offering exactly what we specify on the site (colors, decals, fonts, blah blah blah), PLUS the addition of the TOD to be in the color that we specify on the site. For basic, non-specifying, detailed, additional notation, this is what the basic kit offers. If this is NOT a fact, someone ring in and set it right for the record. I may have to cancel my order if this is wrong. Having been one of the forst to order, I keep seeing changes to this product that worry me. :confused:

Below is what I expect to be the BASIC package, unless some special request is added....

http://www.websubstance.com/vx/gauges2.jpg

(nice job BlackVX)

omegavx
08/18/2003, 09:03 AM
According to speedhut, the TOD will be included in the exact same "colors, decals, fonts, blah blah blah" as the speedo, tach and gas/oil gauges. This does not include any modification to the "PRND321" area that I know of. Inaba was going to check into any modification to this, but since it is simply a clear overlay it would be hard to match this to your requested styles. It is however my understanding that nothing will happen in the "PRND321" area at all, it will simply stay stock with its current clear indication. So, the package should include the following gauges in your requested settings

TOD
Speedo
Tach
Gas/oil

I sent an email off to aaron at speedhut just to make sure the "PRND321" info above is correct. I'll let you know what he says.

paultvx
08/18/2003, 11:11 AM
The kit includes:

1. Speedo
2. Tach
3. Fuel & Temp panel
4. TOD panel
5. Standard or upgraded inverter.

The kit does not include:

1. Gear indicator (remains stock).
2. Warning light panels.
3. Guage bezel.

omegavx
08/18/2003, 11:16 AM
yup, paultvx has it correct. Here is the last response from aaron

"It will be left completely stock for the PDR12"

WormGod
08/18/2003, 11:35 AM
Excellent. That answer is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/18/2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by omegavx
does not include any modification to the "PRND321" area that I know of. Inaba was going to check into any modification to this, but since it is simply a clear overlay it would be hard to match this to your requested styles. It is however my understanding that nothing will happen in the "PRND321" area at all, it will simply stay stock with its current clear indication.

I was only "reminding" them about including the TOD in the kit just as they said they would...I usually beat a dead horse...
character flaw I guess...:mbrasd: but I didn't think it would hurt
to remind them about it.

I am perfectly happy with the "PRND321" area staying stock... I
didn't want them to simply cover it up even though my other shift indicator at the console is still functional... I was getting the feeling they were going to ommit it by not slotting out the hole directly over it...If they don't do this than I will with a dremil...
Just feel that I shouldn't have too!

P.S...My comments to Speedhut about the order were:

"I expect the TOD display to be included in the kit."
"I expect the "PRND321" O.E.M. gear indicator (located vertically between Tach & Speedometer) to remain functional.

BlackVX
08/19/2003, 06:02 AM
So the kit should look something like this. The TOD font would be black for this example (I was too lazy to change it sorry).

http://www.websubstance.com/vx/gauges3.jpg

Michael

WormGod
08/19/2003, 07:46 AM
Let's go kids.... I only see 6 ordered, but I hear a LOT of positive feedback from here. :D

nocturnalVX
08/19/2003, 01:43 PM
If we do not wish to have the redundant gear indicator to remain, is there a way to have it covered? I guess it would be only a matter of them not cutting a window out for it. I like the red on black reverse glow style, but would not want the stock green PRND321 mucking up the look.

Inaba
08/19/2003, 01:44 PM
BlackVX has it correct in what the final product would potentially look like.

The shift position indicator will remain stock while the TOD will be of the appropriate color, as well as the speedo, tach and oil/fuel gauge panel.

The warning lights will remain stock as well.

We can pick one font we'd like and send it in as a group in addition to the offered fonts they already have.

omegavx
08/19/2003, 01:56 PM
Has the group font already been decided on or not? I know some people wanted the "Usuzi", but I'm not sure if I'd use this or the rickshaw one. Did anyone else have any suggested fonts?

AlaskaVX
08/19/2003, 02:02 PM
I know I haven't oredered yet, but I plan to. I want to say that I would like the Vehicross logo on the speedo, and NASA to be on the tach. Would this be a font thing? Or would this cost me an extra $50 to have "my logos" on there? Is the single font we can choose just how the numbers on the speedo and tach are displayed? I think I'm on the right track, just looking for confirmation.

Also, if I was getting red with flames would the flames appear on the TOD and Fuel/temp areas too, or would they just be red? Thanks in advance

omegavx
08/19/2003, 02:11 PM
The font is the actual font style of the letters. So, if you wanted your own custom logo's (ie: graphics) they would not be affected by the font. If you just added text (ie: text, non graphics) then they would be affected by the font.

So, if you wanted to use nasa you would probably make this a custom logo and it would cost an extra fee.

According to them the gauges are all supposed to use the same style and colors. This means they should all be red with flames.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/19/2003, 03:11 PM
So far everybody here that has posted and/or actually placed an order seems to have a thorough understanding of what the product will look like...especially with BlackVX's illustration.

***I just wanted to throw my .02 in for those of you who have read this thread and might be interested in this product; but, have yet to voice an opinion or ask a question or post any such reply.

Remember that as nice a job as BlackVX has done illustrating the
mockup of the finished cluster...he is using (1) particular choice of
colors and none of the available graphics or text from the website.

I encourage/urge anyone who is "silently" debating the product discussed here...to please go to their website and see all the available colors, styles, fonts, graphics, etc...

Here is the link to Speedhut's website just in case you missed it or are too lazy to go to the first page!;pg;

http://www.speedhut.com/15orders_el_detail.asp?auto_number=41&bhcp=1

.....And now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress....;Dy;

IsuZOOM
08/19/2003, 06:16 PM
I know I'm screwing up the whole pre-order thing, but I want to see the finished product before I'll commit to it.

Jonnie
08/19/2003, 06:33 PM
At the risk of being a wet blanket...

What happens to the needle rests?

What happens to the screws on the dash face?

There must be a pretty big gapping hole if it fits over the existing needles?

paultvx
08/19/2003, 07:14 PM
I know I'm screwing up the whole pre-order thing, but I want to see the finished product before I'll commit to it.

Well, it's pretty clear that if there aren't 25 orders, you'll have nothing to see and nothing to commit to. Even if we do make it to 25 orders, at the current pace, I doubt there will be a second run. I seriously doubt they would fill just one order for your sake, if you like what you see. But then again... who knows. It really doesn't matter. If there aren't 25 orders, all bets are off.

Originally posted by Jonnie
At the risk of being a wet blanket...

What happens to the needle rests?

What happens to the screws on the dash face?

There must be a pretty big gapping hole if it fits over the existing needles?

Take a look at Speedhut's gallery. In some of the photos for their gauges the factory needle rests can be seen. So I assume, however it's done, the needle rests aren't touched. I hope that is the case for us too.

Jonnie
08/19/2003, 07:22 PM
I am aware of the situation, thanks for clearing it up.

IsuZOOM
08/19/2003, 08:06 PM
Well, it's pretty clear that if there aren't 25 orders, you'll have nothing to see and nothing to commit to. Even if we do make it to 25 orders, at the current pace, I doubt there will be a second run. I seriously doubt they would fill just one order for your sake, if you like what you see. But then again... who knows. It really doesn't matter. If there aren't 25 orders, all bets are off. I was under the impression that the 25 orders are to "tool" the design. Once that's done, they'll sell them piecemeal on their website like every other design.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/20/2003, 02:34 AM
I was under the impression that the 25 orders are to "tool" the design. Once that's done, they'll sell them piecemeal on their website like every other design.

I have to agree...they need 25 orders to make their "investment
in time to engineer/develop product" worth their while. Once
that occurs... any other orders would be icing on the cake for
them...whip out CNC program and/or CAD program and stamp out
another one.

Inaba
08/20/2003, 08:03 AM
The font hasn't been decided yet. We should probably gather together a list of fonts everyone might want and then vote on them.

As has been said though, w/o 25 pre-orders we are SOL.

IsuZOOM
08/20/2003, 08:33 AM
If you're going that route - Scott can you dig up the font we discusssed earlier?

And you're not SOL without 2 orders. 12 of you could just pay $206, or 6 of you could pay $412 :cool:

Or, someone here could buy 15 of them

paultvx
08/20/2003, 12:01 PM
And you're not SOL without 2 orders. 12 of you could just pay $206, or 6 of you could pay $412 :cool:

Or, someone here could buy 15 of them

That isn't the program. If there isn't 25 the whole thing is off. SOL. That's what it means.

Regarding fonts... too many cooks in the kitchen. I think this buy has a better chance if we just kept thing simple.

IsuZOOM
08/20/2003, 12:30 PM
That isn't the program. If there isn't 25 the whole thing is off. SOL. That's what it means. They want $2500 to tool the design. I'm sure they'll take it any way they can get it.

omegavx
08/20/2003, 12:32 PM
I'll be putting 2 orders, in the next few days. I'd like to see the final board selected font before I actually add an order, so lets get some choices posted and make a decision.

Also, to those that have already placed an order or those that are considering it. What options have you selected for your dials? (ie: what does the bottom left of their flash program tell you is selected) I'm just interested to see what options people are going for and what their's will look like.

omegavx
08/20/2003, 01:36 PM
Ok, so there was some question as to them providing the dials after the initial pre-order was finished.

Here is what aaron said
"We will offer it on the site for single orders after the initial group buy"

So, if we ever reach the 25 mark for them to actually produce the initial buy then they will be available on their website.

AlaskaVX
08/20/2003, 01:45 PM
Hey, I just thought of something. If we have the same dash as a Rodeo we should post this on other forums and maybe some other Rodeo owners will jump on it.

paultvx
08/20/2003, 03:17 PM
They want $2500 to tool the design. I'm sure they'll take it any way they can get it.

What makes you think their entire business hinges on this deal? I'm sure they'd fine selling to their existing market without the hassle of tooling up for a small run or even a run of just one. The VX is a limited market. Why do you think there are hardly any aftermarket support for it? If it wasn't for Tone and individual efforts like what Inaba has done here, there wouldn't have been any. That fact that we haven't gathered 25 orders quickly after the intial post was made pretty much tells them that there isn't enough of a market to justify the trouble. Don't be surpised if the whole thing goes up in smoke if we don't get 25 orders.

paultvx
08/20/2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Hey, I just thought of something. If we have the same dash as a Rodeo we should post this on other forums and maybe some other Rodeo owners will jump on it.

It's a slightly different instrument panel. We have TOD, I don't think the rodeos do. The temp gauge is a little different too. See one of the earlier threads, I think it's the third one. It has a link to a kit for the Trooper kit by a different manufacturer. On the same site there are Rodeo kits.

IsuZOOM
08/20/2003, 03:34 PM
What makes you think their entire business hinges on this deal? I'm sure they'd fine selling to their existing market without the hassle of tooling up for a small run or even a run of just one. The VX is a limited market. Why do you think there are hardly any aftermarket support for it? If it wasn't for Tone and individual efforts like what Inaba has done here, there wouldn't have been any. That fact that we haven't gathered 25 orders quickly after the intial post was made pretty much tells them that there isn't enough of a market to justify the trouble. Don't be surpised if the whole thing goes up in smoke if we don't get 25 orders. Why are you always so abrasive?

I don't understand what you are missing here. They want a commitment of $2500 before they'll tool the design. If one person offered them $2500, they'd tool the design. This isn't rocket science.

IsuZOOM
08/20/2003, 03:35 PM
It's a slightly different instrument panel. We have TOD, I don't think the rodeos do. The temp gauge is a little different too. See one of the earlier threads, I think it's the third one. It has a link to a kit for the Trooper kit by a different manufacturer. On the same site there are Rodeo kits. Hmm, are the two main panels (tach and speedo) the same? If so, there might be a possibility of them sharing our pre-production ordering. Can't hurt to ask.

paultvx
08/20/2003, 05:12 PM
Why are you always so abrasive?

I am not even going to waste my time to address that one.

Originally posted by IsuZOOM They want a commitment of $2500 before they'll tool the design. If one person offered them $2500, they'd tool the design. This isn't rocket science.

Okay. Who's going to pony up $2500 for a sheet of plastic with numbers and hash marks printed on it along with a inverter? are you? Allright for you if you are. :thumbup:

Let's leave it at that and try to help make the group buy possible or answer questions others may have rather than submitting your own private thoughts about what you want to do... which really don't help those who wish to make this group buy a reality.

It's a good idea to see if the Rodeo guys (93-97, I believe) or even Speedhut would be interested in a partial kit. I don't think they are aware that the speedo and tach can be shared. Once they know they might consider lowering the price since by making a kit for us... they'd almost kill two birds with one stone. They don't have any offerings for any Isuzu's at this moment. The speedo and tach may even be used with the Troopers and it would certainly look better than the one posted earlier in this thread.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/24/2003, 07:39 AM
Just trying to keep this thread in recent memory...

paultvx
09/04/2003, 02:28 AM
I upgraded to flash player 6 and the Speedhut page doesn't work any more. It tells me I don't have a flash player. Anyone else getting this? has the group buy page been removed?

Vasha13
09/04/2003, 05:13 AM
I just looked at the group buy page yesterday to check how many orders had been placed and it was there. Maybe it's just the upgrade you just did.

Native_V_ha
09/04/2003, 06:22 AM
hey guys,
Speed hut is asking for too many orders for the custom gauges. I did some research and Found Import Intelligence. I called them and they said they only need 10 orders to start, someone to organize the group by, and a doner of how the gauge looks....the number to call is 610.321.2055 and the site is Importintelligence.com.. They have cool designs and needle kits, I was trying to use there needle kit after i got the speed hut mod, but i can't wait that long....the people who ordered the 7 on the speed hut site, including myself, by the time we see 20 orders, by then cars will be floating.... Just informing you guys, and for someone to set some kind of group by.....screw speed hut for toying with us like that, i hope we can get it from these guys.:mad:
Jamar

P.S. Only down fall about the site is that you can't interact and fool around with the options of different gauge setting like on the speed hut site to see what you want. I just want my gauges. BUt there Specialty Installations section which is the second link allows you to add graphics and details. I am sure one of you older, wiser, more business oriented gentalmen can smooth talk your way to a nice deal, with font options and other accessories for the rest of us. After talking with them at speed hut they seem pretty helpful. Plus i think they'll do the TOD also...

Sites
http://www.importintelligence.com/FMPro?-db=Cart.fp3&-format=list.html&-new
and
http://www.bee.net/a2low240/gauges/installs.html

Bantan
09/04/2003, 07:00 AM
I am diggin the Black & white Carbon fiber Ying Yang style.
Would the price still be set at $99?

http://www.bee.net/a2low240/gauges/install6.jpg

paultvx
09/04/2003, 12:17 PM
Bleah...

Look at Speedhut's gallery and compare it to the samples shown on Import Intelligence. I think the Speedhut gauges are of a slightly higher level of quality. The letters, numbers, and hash markes are printed much better (sharp, no crappy, half-*** edges or black outline with inconsistent stroke width). Perhaps we can convince Speedhut to lower the minimum order to a more likely number by citing what Import Intel. is willing to offer?

Just a thought.

Native_V_ha
09/04/2003, 01:19 PM
Well when comparing both products with an electron microscope ;eekg; yeah speed hut may have a little better quality, but the fact is that speed hut WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT, have 25 orders at the rate its currently going by 2005. I means whos willing to wait that long, thats like having a new suit, nice shoes, nice tie, with no belt....its just doesn't look right. My interior mods are small compared to alot of the people i see on here...that have everything but updated gauges... The VX looks like its a 2005 car to most, until they see the shifters and the guages...

I rather have a custom panel that’s a B- rate then NO gauge panel at all and left with everything else in my car looking up to date and nice EXCEPT for my gauges... I mean the question is take the chance of not having it at all or having it definitely... But then again, maybe we can convince speed hut to lower the order, but then again speed hut doesn't seem to offer as many fonts as I.I. does.... so they both have there pros and cons...PLUS the needle kit if anyone other then myself is willing to by will already be made for your order... I'm starting to see the tides shifting a bit, in I.I. favor but thats just MHO.... :rolleyes: lol

VX-KING
09/04/2003, 01:47 PM
what's up Batan how u been and just wondering is this picture of gauges is on you dash board and if so nice like and im still looking for gaugesfor my vx and still waiting for to come out the shop and im spending alot money on this but you what it worth it cuz there's only 3 people that i know that has a vx in NJ and thats better that Couple of thousands of Ford, chevy ETC......

so just like to know is that part of your VX and talk 2 you later

WormGod
09/04/2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by VX-KING
what's up Batan how u been and just wondering is this picture of gauges is on you dash board and if so nice like and im still looking for gaugesfor my vx and still waiting for to come out the shop and im spending alot money on this but you what it worth it cuz there's only 3 people that i know that has a vx in NJ and thats better that Couple of thousands of Ford, chevy ETC......

(OT) WOW! That is one heck of a run-on sentence, hehe. ;) (BOT)

Fact is, 25 orders isnt unreasonale given the amount of VX's that are out there. The problem is, most people on the forums would rather see it ALREADY installed before they order. I cant blame them, but in my case, I usually jump right in on a deal where I can get something cool and pioneer a product. You pay the price sometimes (Hotshots intake, n1's services while sick, etc) but there is always light at the end of the tunnel. I say, in this case, someone go with the other panel company and see how they come out. If they look good, then the Speedhut folks can always cancel and go that route. If not, then Speedhut is still an option. Its a win win situation. ;Dy;

BlackVX
09/04/2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Native_V_ha
.... and a doner of how the gauge looks

Small detail but...
Who would be willing to take their dash apart and send their gauge panel for measurements to those folks?

Feel free replace "willing" by "crazy enough" in the previous sentence ;)

Michael

paultvx
09/04/2003, 02:37 PM
This already has the ring of "too many cooks in the kitchen." Understandable though... everyone wants something, on their own terms. Personally, at any price, I'd rather have a product that I feel is top notch than to settle for something that is half-assed.

Since no one has volunteered, I will try to email Speedhut and see if they are willing to lower the minimum order to 10... just to get this thing started (and a swift kick in the ***) just so the timid can see the finished result sooner and hopefully signup for additional orders. Comparing Speedhut's prices on other kits to what they want us to pay, I think they will still make money at even 5 orders. If they say no, then I'm going to tell them this thing is as good as dead because at the current minimum of 25, it will never happen... it will just drag on and be forgotten by all.

Bantan
09/04/2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by VX-KING

Hey Bro,
Long time no hear, guess we both been too busy working.
Sorry, I wish it was mine. I got that photo from the Import Intelligence site.
When are we gonna have a NY/NJ meet? I thought you were organizing something by the Jersey Shore.
Let me know, aight!
Peace

Native_V_ha
09/04/2003, 09:21 PM
The thing about it is the gauges don't look that bad. I mean standing back from the drivers side or even the passengers side you wouldn't even notice the difference in quality from what i am seeing. Hopefully speed hut will not call our bluff and back down to 10 orders. But if not i guess where SOL. I mean i guess my eyes need to be checked but the gauges didn't look as horrible as you say they look. I mean if you want to get tech there are alot of mods on here that aren't up to par but do alot for the over all look of what they're trying to accomplish. In the long run its worth it, some people even like what they have to offer over there previous gauges. I mean who really gets that close to the gauges anyway, thats like someone looking directly at your modified shifters and saying, "Hey you wrapped it with black tape" if someone is going to be stairing that hard at it then they are lookin for something wrong... like i said its not as detailed as speed hut but its not bad either....its like optimizing graphics for a website, you change the dpi on the picture just alittle bit to make the site run faster, its not as good quality as the original image but it gets the job done for the overall site and the user is not going to notice that particular graphic when there other images around..No ones going to be that up close to see the details and imperfections you mention, from 3 feet away unless you have superman vision you wouldn't even notice, remember the pictures they they are showing are probably 10 inches away, no way you going to notice the details your expressing from the average driving distance, you must be Jake 2.0 if so, ...unless your doing car shows, then i agree with you, but other then that, this mod is good enough for the average VX owner... To say its just pure garbage is just wrong.

WyrreJ
09/04/2003, 10:10 PM
In fact, of the photos where you can really see the edge detail of the markings - it appears that it is only the metal-flake surface that has poor quality. There is only one or two shots of non-metal flake surface that gets close enough, but they all look just fine.

paultvx
09/04/2003, 10:46 PM
Not good enough for me. If that's what you all want... good luck.

Dallas4u
09/04/2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Native_V_ha
The thing about it is the gauges don't look that bad. I mean standing back from the drivers side or even the passengers side you wouldn't even notice the difference in quality from what i am seeing. Hopefully speed hut will not call our bluff and back down to 10 orders. But if not i guess where SOL. I mean i guess my eyes need to be checked but the gauges didn't look as horrible as you say they look. I mean if you want to get tech there are alot of mods on here that aren't up to par but do alot for the over all look of what they're trying to accomplish. In the long run its worth it, some people even like what they have to offer over there previous gauges. I mean who really gets that close to the gauges anyway, thats like someone looking directly at your modified shifters and saying, "Hey you wrapped it with black tape" if someone is going to be stairing that hard at it then they are lookin for something wrong... like i said its not as detailed as speed hut but its not bad either....its like optimizing graphics for a website, you change the dpi on the picture just alittle bit to make the site run faster, its not as good quality as the original image but it gets the job done for the overall site and the user is not going to notice that particular graphic when there other images around..No ones going to be that up close to see the details and imperfections you mention, from 3 feet away unless you have superman vision you wouldn't even notice, remember the pictures they they are showing are probably 10 inches away, no way you going to notice the details your expressing from the average driving distance, you must be Jake 2.0 if so, ...unless your doing car shows, then i agree with you, but other then that, this mod is good enough for the average VX owner... To say its just pure garbage is just wrong.

To me, this entire quote is just sad. Average VX owner? 10 inches away? I'm sorry... if you guys out there don't care enough about your VX to put something on it that gives you total satisfaction, I don't know what else to say... it's just wrong. Most of you talk about having this "awesome auto" that beats cars and SUVs alike. You are so proud of your VX that anyone that MENTIONS something else is either copying the VX, or can beat it on the road but not off-road, or whatever... yet, mods like this, and you just don't care if it looks as nice and clean as at LEAST the OEM version??? C'mon!!! People! We have a totally unique, VERY limited automobile!!! You don't want to settle for stuff that looks somewhat decent up to 10 inches away, do you??? Some of you post how much time you spend waxing your VX (like 6 coats!!!), and making the cladding sparkle. THAT is PRIDE! Is pride modding you pride and joy to where someone dosent notice your cheapy mod until they get climb inside, or get close?

If this is something you want, and you seriously think it looks good, then by all means go for it. But seriously, if you are telling yourself that you have to have something, and you KNOW it isn't that great, and you KNOW it doesn't look good at a certain distance, but you think you have to have it, then there IS A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

Native_V_ha
09/05/2003, 06:55 AM
Well we do have people who are nit pickers on here so you can't even get mad at those type of comments. They can bash the mod all they want, you don't want it then don't by it, wait forever and a day for speed hut...allot of people will be satisfaction with this mod...if you don't want it then don't by it, but don't try to bash it for other because of your "its not perfect, its not perfect", if I had your attitude towards things I could probably find something wrong with anything and never be satisfied. This mod is satisfactory to most, not all but MOST people I've shown it too... You find me what you think a perfect mod is of ANYTHING, I'll look up close, and I will BASH it and find something wrong with it. Can't have that it has to be perfect attitude with everything you'll never get anything done, wither its personal or business. Like I said before it’s a B rating. Unless your doing shows where people like yourself will be all up close to the detail, and i mean really up close, then I wouldn't get it but for the average VX owner its good. MEANING the majority of people who see it. We get this mod done, I’ll put picture on here and I bet you'll be calling in for one, I’ll guarantee it. Unless you allow your “Pride” to get in the way...now that my friend is sad. But you can be picky you have the right...if its A+ or bust in your eyes so be it.... :rolleyes:

Dallas4u
09/05/2003, 07:57 AM
Errrr, I'm not too sure what else to say, so I will just say this... you just restated every reason as to why not to get them. I'll just leave it up to our fellow VX'ers as to how they want to represent their vehicles.

WormGod
09/05/2003, 07:57 AM
Now now, lets play nice. School is still in session.

I dont think anyone is TRULLY bashing, but some critiquing just where we should go with this thing. Realistically, the Speedhut option was the first to arrive and folks jumped to that opportunity. Then some jump in stating they would rather see it installed before making the purchase. This, in turn, hurts the overall production of the item since skepticism plays a part, and may hamper it's ever possible existence. Then, another option is made available after the fact that orders and pressure have already been committed to Speedhut. This now doubly frustrates those who have committed.

I speak for myself on this, but as one of the few Speedhut customers, it does indeed cause some frustration to push a product for development, knowing it will only be made after so many orders. Knowing that some can not/will not order without ACTUALLY seeing it first, Knowing that another company is also able to produce this product for less.

This isnt a lecture reply, but IS a "hey, lets all step back and look at the REAL scene before we strangle each other" sort of post. I am all for both instrument panels, and I dont blame folks for not committing before seeing the goods. So, before we start tearing each other apart in a battle royale, I propose that the Speedhut deal continues, the other instrument panel deal goes through with their work, and those who wish to wait and see how these things work out and look, continue to support both groups.

Ya, I know, I sound like some damned tree hugger here. I just dont want to see another thread fade to black in a mist of flaming and mayhem. Especially when there is an interest in it, personally. :)

Dallas4u
09/05/2003, 08:40 AM
I'm not trying to flame anyone personally. I'm not singling any one person out. Heck, I purchased my SC a year ago last month (although I didn't receive it for a month, and didn't have it installed until a month after that). At that point, there were only a few people that had the kit installed, and not all of those vehicles were VXs. I went in somewhat blind, but it just so happened that it was a terrific mod.

I am teetering on the idea of custom gauges. I installed some indiglos on my Prelude, and ended up taking them out because I thought they looked too "rice" I guess you could say. I like the fact of having something, not only different in there, but also like it came designed for the VX. If it comes down to it, I can handle leaving the gauges stock as they aren't bad, it's really the entire dash that needs updating... anyone want to tackle that? :)

Anyway, again, everyone knows they can do whatever they want to whatever they want (their VX). I just want people to think about it... what is your standard for your VX? Some people buy cars just for transportation. I'm assuming almost all of you didn't buy the VX to be a grocery hauler, or to just drive back and forth, to and fro work.

AREA 51
09/05/2003, 10:05 AM
Gotta say it. The I.I. overlays look pretty cheap. They're really just stickers with holes cut around the factory markings. The fillers that go on the inside of the characters , like the inside of the 0 (zero) look like they were cut out by hand. The vehicle owner will probably have to put them in position by hand since they appear to be separate small pieces. Doesn't look like any possibility for E.L either

johnnyapollo
09/05/2003, 10:27 AM
I actually don't mind the existing, carbon-fiber gauge faces. To me, altering the bezel/surround would be a more striking option (as long as the contrast was there). You could also go with a glow needle rather than the glow gauge... something else to think about.

-- John

Jonnie
09/05/2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
I actually don't mind the existing, carbon-fiber gauge faces. To me, altering the bezel/surround would be a more striking option (as long as the contrast was there). You could also go with a glow needle rather than the glow gauge... something else to think about.

-- John

Were on the same page. I like the needle idea, and may go to a brushed stainless surround. I also picked up a Rodeo cluster and may use it to replace the VX rpm and speed faces.

Jonathan

paultvx
09/05/2003, 12:01 PM
Allright you Ghandi wannabes. :D No one is bashing anyone here. It's a discussion as far as I am concerned. If one person is harsh with words, then it's only natural for the response to be just as harsh... can't even read some of the responses anyway.

Regardless... here's Speedhut's reply.

Thank you for your interest in our Pre Order Program! Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a 10 minimum at the same price. In the past, we have been able to offer a lower minimum in our Program for a higher
price. With just 10 Pre Orders the cost would be close to double. This may not work with most of our Customers however. Tooling costs are very high and generally cannot be met without enough interest.

*Please check back to see our NEW Premium Gauge line coming exclusively
to Speedhut in November!

Unless we can come up with 18 orders, we are SOL with Speedhut. Am I frustrated by this? not at all. I am OK with the stock gauges and I've never committed to the group buy... specially seeing how timid the response has been since this thing first started and I'm not going to give away my CC info to a stranger for nothing. It looked to be a lost cause right from the start... some people wanted this... others wanted that... it reminded me of waiting in like at Burger King while someone ordered a Whopper but don't want the standard fixings. I still can't unerstand how anyone could install anything that is not up to par into a vehicle the claim to love and cherish. The kit just doesn't look professional compared to the others out there. But, to each his own. There's got to be other manufacturers out there besides Speedhut and Import Intel.

Good luck with Import Intel.

johnnyapollo
09/05/2003, 01:05 PM
Here's another:

http://makotoautotrends.com/displaydetails.asp?Category=GAUGES&SubCategory=ID%2DGLOW+GAUGES&pid=ISUZ-RODE-0002-IG6

I've contacted them but haven't received a response.

Here's a company selling glow needles:

http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/

They are about half the prices above on eBay.

-- John

paultvx
09/05/2003, 01:18 PM
The reverse glow from Makoto looks pretty good too. Looks very OEM.

http://makotoautotrends.com/images/products/ISU-ROD-0002-SVGL-XXXX-RVGX.jpg

The kits on Import Car Parts Plus looks to be the same ones from Import Intel.

Dallas4u
09/05/2003, 01:18 PM
Here is a company that will do custom designs, yet not El-Glo

http://www.blackcatcustom.com/us-custom.htm

WormGod
09/05/2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
I dont think anyone is TRULLY bashing, but some critiquing just where we should go with this thing.

Just for the record. :D

If Speedhut cant come through, no love lost anywhere. If they cant commit, then we cant either, so we go back to square one. And square one aint so bad, considering we already have alternatives. It does indeed, look like a lost deal. Anyone else who is still interested in an instrument panel changeout, plan B is still always an option.

paultvx
09/05/2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Here is a company that will do custom designs, yet not El-Glo

http://www.blackcatcustom.com/us-custom.htm

Whoa, no thanks. It'd probably turn out to be a hit though. ;)

Makoto has my vote. Import Intel and anything like it is not an option to me.

Inaba, are you around? Did you send a spare gauge to Speedhut? Seem to remember something to that effect. Perhaps we can do the same again if we find another vendor who is willing... pitch in to cover shipping etc.

WormGod
09/29/2003, 10:35 AM
I hate to flog a dead horse, but I guess it is safe to say this is most likely a, well, a dead horse now. I just looked at the site and there are only 8 orders after all this time, and since this thread was buried deep, it most likely will never reach 25.

Has anyone cancelled orders yet? I am debating.

Vasha13
09/29/2003, 12:30 PM
I haven't cancelled yet but I've been thinking about it. I guess I will cancel when the other 7 start to cancel their orders.

IsuZOOM
09/29/2003, 12:38 PM
Maybe someone will buy 5-10 of them and put them on ebay after the production run starts?

Inaba
09/29/2003, 02:11 PM
Yes, I'm around... not sure what else I can do at this point.

I can probably the gauge cluster back from them if we can find another vendor that would do it for less pre-orders... but I haven't seen any around that do a decent job.

There's always the possiblity of buying more than one and selling it on Ebay, I'm not sure I want to fork out $1k for a new Dash though :)

Tone
09/29/2003, 06:29 PM
Just a thought but looking at the little screws on the dials of our guages, they do NOT protrude above the plastic back of the panel that this new overlay is going to sit on, so it should look just fine without big bumps. The dial needles have a large center circle that hides the larger hole required to slip the new overlay over them.