PDA

View Full Version : Tire decision question :

Spike
09/27/2009, 09:07 AM
Need to get a set of 4 -

It seems the OEM tire has been discontinued, and the replacement model has both gone up in price (180ish per) and down in handling quality (according to tire rack's testing)
... I was never thrilled with the Duelers anyway (even though Etlsprt and I were surprised how well we did crawling around Rausch Creek 4x4 park a couple years ago on the stock treads.)

Anyway, I decided that am up-sizing; and I am just about convinced that I am going to go along with the trend here - 285/60 18.

I had a short list but already dumped a few (i.e. Geolander for wear, and Terra Grappler's for cost) and narrowed down to two:

Cooper Zeon LTZ - $135 ea
Fuzion XTi - $118 ea

In the 6.5 years I had my VX, I only truly went off-roading once.
So anything equal to or slightly better than the OEM Bridgestones is sufficient

I am mostly concerned about rain traction; and being near Philadelphia, the occasional heavy snow.

The Coopers look incredible! But how are they in rain? How well do they wear on dry highway? How well do they corner? www.offroaders.com gives them an 9.0 out of 10.

The Fuzion tires are a bit more affordable. And being that they are made by Bridgestone, I expect them to be at least similar and probably better than the OEM. They appear a bit more 'street' friendly by description, but are still considered all terrain/off road by the manufacturer. Tire rack's ratings puts them as 6th out of 21 tires, with a 9.0 rating out of 10 for 'people would buy them again', and 96% ranking against their #1 tire i the class

Any thoughts?

handeeman
09/27/2009, 10:33 AM
Spike, I can't help ya, but I know some our resident tire experts will reply as they get on-line.

VX KAT
09/27/2009, 10:39 AM
I've had the Cooper Zeon LTZs 285/60-18s on stock/OEM rims, on my stock non-lifted or altered VX for about 2 months now. (You've probably seen my thread on them with lots of pics). I think I'm the only VXer on here to have these so far.
~Haven't been in a torrential rainstorm with them, just a rather heavy one and a lot of mud on my "dirt" road after the Arizona Monsoon rains this summer.
~Did great in/through the mud/muck puddles.
~they have extra siping on the lowest part of tire (recessed part) for extra traction as the tire torques a bit under load, supposed to give more traction.
(there's a pic in my gallery)
~Seem to have low/very good highway noise (but I'm told by pbkid that changes as any A/T tire wears down).
~'Course I put a roof rack on with a fairing shortly after I got these, and that makes noise so I probably can't hear the tires even if they did make some noise.
~even with the fairing, I don't have much noise at all
~they drive really smooth on pavement, much smoother than I expected based on aggressive tread pattern
~Haven't had them long enough to comment on treadlife or wear.
~They have pretty square shoulders and lots of siping and they do handle well in corners.
~They definitely give a beefier/wider look to the VX in this size, they fill up the wheel well much better
~only required a small triangle shape trim off front outer part of cladding.

I'm very pleased with them so far.

Here's the 2 threads so you can see what they look like on a stock VX....and yer killin' me as I paid about $170 each after much searching!

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15787&highlight=cooper+zeon+ltz

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15869&highlight=cooper+zeon+ltz

Spike
09/27/2009, 10:41 AM
Spike, I can't help ya, but I know some our resident tire experts will reply as they get on-line.

Thanks, I was thinking once this thread was spotted it would start to roll...
I just haven't posted in a very long while.

Anyway, If you are referring to Etlsport as one of the experts ... Eric and I hang out a lot, but he doesn't have any experience with either of those two specific models ;)

So I guess I am mostly asking people who have/had either of them and can answer by experience

Spike
09/27/2009, 10:47 AM
Here's the 2 threads so you can see what they look like on a stock VX....and yer killin' me as I paid about $170 each after much searching!

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15787&highlight=cooper+zeon+ltz

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15869&highlight=cooper+zeon+ltz

Actually Kat, your pics is what got me interested in those wheels in the first place. I hadn't shopped around other than 'tire rack' and 'discount tires direct' (and Sears since Etlsport works there) until your post.

Don't be ticked about the cost - that was the each price before shipping ... so it will be $20 more per.

Riff Raff
09/27/2009, 07:07 PM
SPIKE--- In consideraton of the parameters you indicated, I highly recommend the following tire:

"FIERCE ST" in 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./40 lbs) which sells for only $82.25 each (yes, Eighty-Two dollars and Twenty-Five cents) at www.OnlineTires.com. The Fierce ST is an exact "clone" to the much more expensive Toyo - Proxes S/T II.

Check-out the factory website at www.FierceTires.com. You can read recent customer outstanding reviews of this specific tire at www.Treadepot.com.

The Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (31.3" O.D./49 lbs); like on VX-KAT is an awesome tire, but may be a bit "overkill" based upon your driving style and very limited off-road excursions.

If you still prefer a true A/T tire like the "LTZ", then please also consider the PRO-COMP - All Terrain in 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./43 lbs). The Pro-Comp A/T is Snowflake/Mountain rated, has a 50K mileage warranty and is currently on sale at www.4WheelParts.com for a "Buy 3, Get The 4th Free" tire special. Check with fellow VX member "BoarderCross2000" who just installed a set on his VX from this exact sale offer.

Above all; check-out the "FIERCE S/T" in 285/60R18, as it just might meet all of your requirements at a super awesome price!!!

VX KAT
09/27/2009, 07:19 PM
"FIERCE ST" in 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./40 lbs) which sells for only $82.25 each (yes, Eighty-Two dollars and Twenty-Five cents) at www.OnlineTires.com. The Fierce ST is an exact "clone" to the much more expensive Toyo - Proxes S/T II.
Above all; check-out the "FIERCE S/T" in 285/60R18, as it just might meet all of your requirements at a super awesome price!!!

That Fierce ST is a nice lookin' street tire!

Spike
09/28/2009, 05:49 AM
Pro-comp are almost 250 ea, even with 3 + 1 free, its too expensive for the crappy budget I have at the moment.

Tread on the Fierce ST is definitely very cool, almost in a Klingon kind of way ... Not sure how they would do in snow ... But also they are a bit 'too street' for me. That's what I have my tweaked GTP for (daily driver / or when I want to go loud and fast)

The VX, I use mostly evenings and weekends, car shows, or in real bad weather. But the wheels definitely need to be more aggressive and let people know "This NOT a Rav 4 or Santa Fe - so don't go looking at me like that, you freak!"

She gets driven at least once or twice a week. But overall, I do less than 5000 miles a year on the VX since I got the Grand Prix Two yrs ago. So any tire I get should last me a good long while! but I don't want to go replacing them at 25,000 miles either. (even if that does take me 5 yrs!)

Thanks for those 2 suggestions though!

So I am still looking between the Zeon and Fuzion STi at this point.

Riff Raff
09/28/2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks for those 2 suggestions though!

So I am still looking between the Zeon and Fuzion STi at this point.

SPIKE--- No, problem. Based upon your posting update; and your wallet limitations, I'd say go with the COOPER - ZEON "LTZ" (like VX-KAT). Just make damn sure when you order them to be very specific about requesting the "LTZ" model designation. Because there are multiple ZEON versions within the COOPER brand line-up, and it's very easy to mis-order the wrong tire. Thus; look up the specific part number at the Cooper website, and verify it on the order form when placing your order.:yeso:

Spike
09/28/2009, 06:22 AM
http://www.tireteam.com/Tires/Cooper/Zeon+LTZ+(4KP)/2856018/01401.html?&ref=GBASE

$133 x4 + 80 shipping

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=XTi&partnum=86SR8XTIXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$118 x4 + $75 shipping

Riff Raff
09/28/2009, 06:47 AM
http://www.tireteam.com/Tires/Cooper/Zeon+LTZ+(4KP)/2856018/01401.html?&ref=GBASE

$133 x4 + 80 shipping

SPIKE--- According to the batteries in my calculator, your grand total for the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" delivered is: $612.00

Well; check-out the website of www.Treadepot.com, which has the "LTZ" for only $120.00 x 4, + $103.00 shipping to your zip code of 19073. That equals a grand total of only $583.00 versus your quote of $612.00 (a difference of $29.00).

Just make sure you shop around before you place an order.:bgwb:

circmand
09/28/2009, 08:15 AM

Dear Handeeman I am sure Spike appreciates the post it includes so much helpful info HAHA

As no one else has posted THE SEARCH ENGINE IS YOUR FRIEND

Why is it everytime someone needs or wants to buy tires they feel the need to start a whole new thread, I bet there are dozens of tire threads by now with all the info you need with none of the waiting for someone to post. Starting a new thread just requires the need for the same info to be posted again and again.

vt_maverick
09/28/2009, 08:52 AM
I bet there are dozens of tire threads by now

Which is why searching takes forever...

Spike
09/28/2009, 10:05 AM
By the way - and just an FYI - I DID use the search engine

... But there wasn't a single VX owner who has treferenced the Fuzion XTi ... at least no one who may own them has posted that they do in fact own them.

Yet TireRack.com ranks them quite highly ... (I guess highly among non-VX owners)

Ford and Toyota owners have referenced them on their forums ... but that doesnt nescessarily apply to a VehiCross, does it?

If it is frowned upon to ask a valid question, what is the point of my belonging to a forum that I like to visit on and off for the past 7 years?

Yes, there ARE a lot of tire posts ...
Some people may ask questions about tires, some people like to post pictures of their new treads ... My point is, we all have different questions, opinions, points of view, needs, wants, thoughts. That is what a forum is all about. It is free form. Unless someone wants to poll through all the various bits of data, discard the outdated items, compile relevant topics and create a master database, this is how it is going to be. It is a little too late to worry about the structure of the forum/search engine/database now.

Prices change, new products come and go ... etc

and with that said ... does ANYONE know ANYTHING about the Fuzion XTi ? (Bridgestone)

VX KAT
09/28/2009, 10:55 AM
Spike- Let me know if you want any specific pics or anything of the LTZs that would help you make decision...happy to take more & post.

Spike
09/28/2009, 11:20 AM
Spike- Let me know if you want any specific pics or anything of the LTZs that would help you make decision...happy to take more & post.

Thank you very much Kat, your pics are great ... Like i said, I saw your previous posts, they really caught my eye. That is what prompted me to investigate the LTZs in the first place. Now that price is pretty much taken out of the equation, I might just be going in that direction! I just wish i knew a little more about the wet asphalt/concrete handling. I like to corner tight on some of the winding back roads out near where I live.

I know that no single tire is great at everything, and I know that when you gain one advantage you lose another. I am not looking for the PERFECt tire, it does not exist ... just a tire that is perfect for me and my VX

Spike
09/28/2009, 11:24 AM
P.S. Sorry if my previous post was a bit harsh ... not looking to start a battle. Just make a couple points.

Riff Raff
09/28/2009, 07:23 PM
P.S. Sorry if my previous post was a bit harsh ... not looking to start a battle. Just make a couple points.

SPIKE--- No harm, no foul. I've painfully found out that everybody's unique especially when it comes to tires. As much as I praise the Grabber AT2 and Pro-Comp A/T, not everybody likes them or they just don't fit everybody's personal lifestyle or budget.

For example; I initially tried to convince VX-KAT towards the AT2 or P/C-A/T, and she just wasn't a big fan of the BFG A/T type tread pattern. After further E-Mail inquiry, I discovered she favored the tread style pattern of the Nitto T/G; and wanted something simular, but with a different flair to set herself apart from the normal crowd. Thus, after an intensive search I found the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" for her which hit a home-run.

You indicated in your first post that your main focus was for rain capability with an occassional snow in PA, along with an inexpensive price. Thus, the Fierce ST seemed to fit your original parameters. Later; you fine tuned your criteria with a desire to have a more macho/aggressive tread pattern and less of a street tire, but still be inexpensive. Perhaps, the "LTZ" is now a better match for you.

In both cases (your's & VX-KAT), I just happened to stumble upon various tires out on the market that I never knew existed before (like the "LTZ" & "Fierce ST"). The search feature on this forum is a great tool, but is not perfect since everyone is different and has different criteria parameters regarding tires. In addition; as time goes by, new technologies are implemented and new tires are introduced in the marketplace. A search from old obsolete forum postings would be futile in that regard. Bottom Line-- if you don't ask the question (like you did), then how can we possibly help you???

For me, I love helping people on this VX forum and take great pride if maybe just one of my suggestions somehow benefit another fellow VX'er. It's the least I can do from all of the other great advice I absorb from my fellow VX'ers here on this forum. SPIKE, thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you. Please ask anytime.:bgwb:

Spike
09/30/2009, 07:30 AM
Riff, thanks much, and you hit it on the head, I need to fine tune my requirements. While I did that in my head to get through my original short list, I still needed to refine it a bit more

Yes while dry capability and bad weather traction are most important, asthetics does play into it as well ... The Fuzions have different patterns on each of the sidewalls... a tribal pattern on one side and flames on the other. An their tread, while not as radical and blocky as a terra g's or Zeon, is still on the aggressive side as compared to the Fierce ST ... The Fierce tire just does not look like it would do too well in snow

What are your thoughts of 285/55 instead of 285/60?

etlsport
09/30/2009, 04:08 PM
a 285 55 is going to be harder to mount... factory rims are only 7" wide.. most 285s recommend 8-9" rims.. if you notice with my falkens, the tire sucks so far back to the rim, it was impossible to put standard wheel weights on it, so we had to use the sticky weights on the inside of the wheel (which looks better.. but its a real pita)

youll also run into not being able to find as many different tires in a 285/55

running a 265/60 would be about the same height, expand your options, but save a bit of weight and possibly cost

crager34
09/30/2009, 04:28 PM
Just bought some Sumitomo HTR A/T's. Quiet, grips in dry and rain (haven't done snow with this. I really like these tires.

Riff Raff
09/30/2009, 07:34 PM
Riff, thanks much, and you hit it on the head, I need to fine tune my requirements. The Fuzions have different patterns on each of the sidewalls... a tribal pattern on one side and flames on the other. An their tread, while not as radical and blocky as a terra g's or Zeon, is still on the aggressive side as compared to the Fierce ST ... The Fierce tire just does not look like it would do too well in snow

What are your thoughts of 285/55 instead of 285/60?

SPIKE--- Hmmm, after analyzing what you said regarding sidewall appearance and considering your price point "comfort zone" target of $120 per tire; then yes, the FUZION XTi in 285/60R18 might just be your #1 winner. Further, I noticed the Fuzion XTi has both a deeper tread depth of 15/32nds (for great snow traction) and a lighter unsprung weight of 45 lbs than the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (14/32nds & 49 lbs, respectively).

As Cragar34 mentioned; I too had thought about the SUMITOMO - HTR Sport A/T (31.3/44 lbs), which has a comparable tread pattern to the Nitto T.G. with the added feature of OWL (personally, I really like OWL). However; the Sumitomo has a shallower tread depth of 13/32nds when compared to the Fuzion XTi, and is way more expensive.

There are only two(2) tires in 285/55R18 (30" O.D.) worth a hoot with "snow capability", and will still fit on the stock OEM 18x7 rim. This size tire is very close to the OEM stock O.D. of 29.5", which will help maintain speedometer accuracy within 1 -- 2 MPH. They are:
o MAXXIS - MA-S1 MARAUDER
o COOPER - ZEON "XST" (yes, "XST"); although this may be a "discontinued" tire as this specific size "XST" is not on the factory Cooper website anymore, but still available on-line from various tire retailers.

In regards to EtlSport's 265/60R18 alternative size recommendation; you may find this tire to be too skinny-n-narrow and will not give the VX a wide mean looking appearance, thereby making the VX look kinda' meek & mousy. In my opinion, the most narrow size width tire a person should ever put on a VX is a 275 series. Most VX's look best when either a 275 or 285 series width tire is installed to help "fill-up" the huge VX wheel-wells and to give it a wider mean appearance.

In reconsideration of your sidewall appearance preference (tribal/flames), meaty aggressive tread requirement, deep tread depth (15/32nds) for snow, lighter weight, and especially your wallet comfort zone of $120 (+/-) per tire; I now highly recommend the FUZION XTi in 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./45 lbs) as choice #1.

When sniffing around the internet for tires (besides the normal TireRack & Discount Tire websites); please also visit www.1010Tires.com (awesome 5-tire side-by-side comparison calculator), www.OnLineTires.com (great variety from obscure brands), and www.Treadepot.com (competitive sale prices). Of note, I really like www.TireRack.com for their great close-up pictures and especially their "specifications page" with tread depth data and individual tire weights (for "unsprung weight" concerns).:bgwb:

sloop
10/02/2009, 03:05 PM
Anything you need to know about the Fuzions let me know! Well built Tire good in snow

Spike
10/05/2009, 07:14 AM
Anything you need to know about the Fuzions let me know! Well built Tire good in snow

Thanks Sloop ... do you know how they are in rain / wet roads?

Yes, I am still wavering between these two tires ... even after looking at the aforementioned Maxxis maurauder, zeon XST and Fierce ST (too street) and then looked at the Fierce attidute M/T (too mud/off road) and a few others

Zeon LTZ tread looks like it 'may' push more water off to the sides and away from the tire

I like the overall tread of the Fusion as well
And I especially like that if I put the 'flame' sidewall side out - that i dont have FUZION in huge letters splashed across the tire

Here are a couple more links of images that I have been looking at since I cant find either of these tires at a local shop (tried 3)

Cooper 3/4 view photo
http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/39/8d/ab13_3.JPG

Cooper tread pattern up close:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/coprl2.xl.jpg

Fuzion sidewall photo:
http://www.campbellperformancetires.com/Fuzion%20XTi%20P2756518%2056.JPG

Fuzion tread pattern up close:
http://www.campbellperformancetires.com/Fuzion%20XTi%20P2756518%2053.JPG

Spike
10/14/2009, 07:16 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet ... Ordered the Coopers ...
on sale for $120 ea from treadepot.com
- after shipping to PA: $558.20

VX KAT
10/14/2009, 08:24 PM

Congrats! That's an awesome price!!!:_wtf:

Riff Raff
10/14/2009, 08:45 PM

SPIKE--- Yup, that's the best price I found anywhere for the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (VX-KAT is gonna' be frickin' jealous). I know you were stuck between the "LTZ" & "XTi" for various personal reasons, and it was difficult for you to finally make up your mind between the two.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you like to cruise the winding roads in a spirited manner. In that regard; the "LTZ" is probably the better pick, as the "shattered glass" tread pattern will act more like a wide tiger paw helping you corner. In addition, the tread pattern of the "LTZ" is more resistant to the elongated tar strips down highways that like to pitch the vehicle from one side to the other. By contrast, the "XTi" with its elongated grooved tread would have easily snagged freeway tar strips, thereby jossiling you about within the lane (not good).

The tread pattern between the "LTZ" and "XTi" are significantly different and will make a significant different statement with the "look" of the VX. Personally; I really like the unique one-of-a-kind "shattered glass" look of the "LTZ", way better than the more common "XTi" tread. In my opinion; you made the very best pick between the two choices, as it will make your VX look simply bad-@ss. Plus, you got the "LTZ" at one hell of a price (the lowest I've ever seen them listed for)!!! Well done, SPIKE.:thumbup:

VX KAT
10/14/2009, 08:53 PM
SPIKE--- Yup, that's the best price I found anywhere for the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (VX-KAT is gonna' be frickin' jealous).
:freek: That's like $170 less! :freek::freek: Good job Spike!
course I did negotiate a free alignment (at a future date) and got free flat repair/change on site if I need it (and they can get to me quicker than AAA or Good Sam club)...at least it makes me feel a little better....:waag::waab:

p.s.....was slammin' down the freeway today with windows down and they really are quiet tires at 65-70 on the highway....way cool!

etlsport
10/15/2009, 05:59 PM
cool! bring em on down so i can mount and balance them for ya.. and do an alignment while were at it.. :thumbup: hopefully yours will be easier than mine.. mine took 4-5oz of weights per wheel.. the spare took over 13oz!

tom4bren
10/16/2009, 08:59 AM
...the spare took over 13oz!

Dang that tom4bren ... everything he has is outta balance.

Spike
10/19/2009, 04:50 PM
cool! bring em on down so i can mount and balance them for ya.. and do an alignment while were at it.. :thumbup: hopefully yours will be easier than mine.. mine took 4-5oz of weights per wheel.. the spare took over 13oz!

That there looks like a quarter pounder, man! :p

Eric.... Why so many? Your rims in that bad shape?

Bob will probably pick them up tomorrow night after they arrive in my driveway ... then either mount them tomorrow night or Wednesday. (cant beat 'free'

Then I will bring them over to you for the alignment .. There still a Wednesday discount available?

etlsport
10/19/2009, 05:48 PM
That there looks like a quarter pounder, man! :p

Eric.... Why so many? Your rims in that bad shape?

Bob will probably pick them up tomorrow night after they arrive in my driveway ... then either mount them tomorrow night or Wednesday. (cant beat 'free'

Then I will bring them over to you for the alignment .. There still a Wednesday discount available?

wednesday discount is on parts only.. so wouldnt help alignment unless you needed shims for camber/caster, but even so.. no biggie, so no real "best day" to have it in although the guy id choose to do it is in wednesday 9-6

Spike
10/26/2009, 08:06 AM
I've had the Cooper Zeon LTZs 285/60-18s on stock/OEM rims, on my stock non-lifted or altered VX for about 2 months now. (You've probably seen my thread on them with lots of pics). I think I'm the only VXer on here to have these so far.
~Haven't been in a torrential rainstorm with them, just a rather heavy one and a lot of mud on my "dirt" road after the Arizona Monsoon rains this summer.

Hey Kat!
Been almost a week with the LTZs ... (but not many miles)

They are GREAT i the rain and big puddles! I was lucky enough to have a good storm roll through on Saturday

Anyway, what pressure are you running? My mechanic pumped them up to 45 and I am wondering if thats a bit much.

tom4bren
10/26/2009, 08:16 AM
45 seems high to me. I'd be concerned about breaking a bead if a tire takes a good hit.

What psi is the tire rated for (should be on the sidewall)?

Spike
10/26/2009, 08:20 AM
45 seems high to me. I'd be concerned about breaking a bead if a tire takes a good hit.

What psi is the tire rated for (should be on the sidewall)?

Max pressure is 50

tom4bren
10/26/2009, 08:31 AM
OK, so that tire can take it.

You're running OEM rims correct? Need to determine if the rims can take that pressure as well. In this case, I'd follow the ratings on the sticker on the door jam of the VX.

The last thing I'd suggest is to chalk a line across the tread of the tire, move the VX only enough to have the chalk line touch the pavement a couple of times, then check to see if the chalk is rubbed off evenly across the entire width of the tread.

Of course, keep an eye on wear over time as well. If the center of the tread is wearing too fast, lower the pressure. If the outside edges of the tread is wearing faster, increase the pressure. If there is cupping or uneven wear, get your alignment checked (actually cupping is usually caused by worn shocks rather than alignment).

VX KAT
10/26/2009, 10:48 AM
Hey Kat!
Been almost a week with the LTZs ... (but not many miles)

They are GREAT i the rain and big puddles! I was lucky enough to have a good storm roll through on Saturday

Anyway, what pressure are you running? My mechanic pumped them up to 45 and I am wondering if thats a bit much.

Kool!!!!! Only a fellow VXer could appreciate the visual of seeing a VX go rammin' through puddles and probably turning and braking! It's just what we do! :thumbup:
I still haven't had any rain since I last posted...so good to know they're good in the rain on pavement!
I've got mine at 40 psi...much higher was too punishing on my dirt/rocky road.

PICTURES! PICTURES!

Spike
10/26/2009, 11:07 AM
Kool!!!!! I still haven't had any rain since I last posted...so good to know they're good in the rain on pavement!
I've got mine at 40 psi...much higher was too punishing on my dirt/rocky road.

PICTURES! PICTURES!

Tom, yea it seems they can take the higher pressurest ... and to answer your q: yes, stock 18x7 rims ...
I find irony there, being that you lower pressure when going off road, etc.

Kat, Agreed, expected a somewhat harder ride but WOW! the end of my 'street' is gravel and has some deep potholes ... you can really feel it there!

Pics will be posted when I take a few more (and then remember how to add them on here - been a while)

tom4bren
10/26/2009, 11:20 AM
Ironic, yes.

If you're running your tires at or near the max pressure & you hit a nice sized pothole, the tire tries to flex which will increase the air pressure in the tire & you could break a bead (tire pops off the rim ... well ... half way).

You air down off road for increased surface area & to allow the tire to flex more & 'mold' itself over obstacles. The trouble is that a lot of people air down too far & the tire flexes too much which can also break a bead.

In my limited experience, the only off road conditions you really need to air down for is rock crawling. All other conditions, the tread design has more to do with performance.

Spike
10/26/2009, 11:31 AM
Ironic, yes.

If you're running your tires at or near the max pressure & you hit a nice sized pothole, the tire tries to flex which will increase the air pressure in the tire & you could break a bead (tire pops off the rim ... well ... half way).

You air down off road for increased surface area & to allow the tire to flex more & 'mold' itself over obstacles. The trouble is that a lot of people air down too far & the tire flexes too much which can also break a bead.

In my limited experience, the only off road conditions you really need to air down for is rock crawling. All other conditions, the tread design has more to do with performance.

I am guestimating somewhere between 35 and 40 is probably much better than the 45 I have in there now.

PK
10/26/2009, 06:21 PM

Tom, you should always air down to around 15 PSI for soft sand.
Gives the tyre a wider contact area so you don't bog down so easy.

PK

Gussie2000
10/26/2009, 06:37 PM
Spike runs your tires at 36psi is where you live has a moon like terrain.

Mines had the same max psi but never went over the 36 plus that allows me to use valve caps with air monitoring pressure gauges :yesb:

tom4bren
10/27/2009, 06:38 AM
Tom, you should always air down to around 15 PSI for soft sand.
Gives the tyre a wider contact area so you don't bog down so easy.

PK

PK,

I knew I was gonna get some flak on that statement. I won't jack this thread anymore than it already is tho.

You're right. Airing down for soft sand does make a big difference

IF

you have the right tread to start with. I stay away from really soft sand with mine since I have MTs. That tread pattern just digs big holes in sand & doesn't do much for getting you from point A to point B.

mrtew
11/01/2009, 07:23 AM
I just got those Coopers too! They seem great so far! I got the 285/60/18s and they almost seem a little wider and lower profile than my old Nitto Terragrapplers of the same size. No problem fitting or rubbing with stock wheels and ride height. My thanks to Kat for her pictures too which pushed me over the edge. (the fact that I grew up in Central Arizona right near her and have driven those same dirt roads myself might have softened me up even more)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/157/img3883w.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5539/img3890.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9058/img3882.jpg

VX KAT
11/01/2009, 10:13 AM
Lookin' sharp! :thumbup::thumbup: