PDA

View Full Version : It's a Jeep thing

mdwyer
09/25/2009, 10:21 PM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/epic-fail-off-road-fail.jpg
I don't understand... (http://failblog.org/2009/09/23/off-road-fail/)

Ldub
09/25/2009, 10:31 PM
Needs more cow bell...or Mud Grapplers...:naughty:

pbkid
09/26/2009, 02:57 PM
lol that thing is sitting on the frame... .its not goin anywhere, no matter what tires. or how much cowbell

VXorado
09/26/2009, 03:03 PM
Epic fail... makes me happy I crossed over from the jeep world to the VX world :yesb:

Ldub
09/26/2009, 08:41 PM
The jeep police came by moments later & repo'd the "trail rated" badge...:slap:

JAMAS
09/26/2009, 08:44 PM
The jeep police came by moments later & repo'd the "trail rated" badge...:slap:

Apparently he needed a "parking lot rated" badge

VXorado
09/26/2009, 11:35 PM
Apparently he needed a "parking lot rated" badge

I think that would give him too much credit

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/27/2009, 06:23 AM
On the one hand I can laugh and generally share in the same sort of anti-jeep sentiment (also when riding my Suzuki I tend to ignore Harley 'stuck-ups' too unless 'they' initiate a wave first..lol)

But, in all seriousness, with a front open-diff and LSD rear I could see a stock VX or alot of other 4X4's fail in the same (should not have picked a parking lot to show off) situation.

My Dad had to tow-strap his neighbor's Ford Explorer out of his own front lawn even though the Explorer's driver side wheels were on the paved street. I'm guessing it probably had open diffs front & rear. The neighbor was clearly disappointed that his "4x4" couldn't escape the situation under it's own power!

CrnCnn
09/28/2009, 07:57 AM
So I dont know why this is just a "Jeep" thing. Like a Jeep is only capable of doing this? I think this case was a dirver thing.

A VX is more than capable.....
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13898

nfpgasmask
09/28/2009, 08:38 AM
So I dont know why this is just a "Jeep" thing. Like a Jeep is only capable of doing this? I think this case was a dirver thing.

A VX is more than capable.....
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13898

It's a Jeep thing because he is in a parking lot.

:laughing:

When I got stuck I didn't even realize I was in mud. I just stopped after I crossed the creek and sank in down to the frame. Once I realized I was in the mud it was too late. I probably wouldn't have gotten stuck if I would have just kept driving.

Bart

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 09:23 AM
I think this thread made me develop a condition; for some reason my eyes keep rolling... repeatedly. :rollo:

CrnCnn
09/28/2009, 09:26 AM
It's a Jeep thing because he is in a parking lot.

When I got stuck I didn't even realize I was in mud. I just stopped after I crossed the creek and sank in down to the frame. Once I realized I was in the mud it was too late. I probably wouldn't have gotten stuck if I would have just kept driving.

Bart

You sure were stuck. :yesb:

I think this thread made me develop a condition; for some reason my eyes keep rolling... repeatedly. :rollo:

x2

CrnCnn
09/28/2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/11111.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15976)

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 12:47 PM
How weird! It's embarassing when I find wood in my crotch from out of nowhere! ;)

pbkid
09/28/2009, 12:53 PM

You sure were stuck. :yesb:

x2

aww, you jeepers getting defensive?? ;)

i agree though, its more of an idiot driver thing... but that suggests that some jeepers have a tendency to think they are invincible... (key word SOME, but it only takes a few to ruin the reputation of all)

CrnCnn
09/28/2009, 01:19 PM

i agree though, its more of an idiot driver thing... but that suggests that some jeepers have a tendency to think they are invincible... (key word SOME, but it only takes a few to ruin the reputation of all)

Very true, I have begun to hate the Street Vibrations week here in Reno because of the few morons that cut people off and what not on their bikes I dont want to drive near ANY of them

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 01:56 PM
No sir, not defensive... annoyed... Now tho, I'll get defensive! :p Everyone knows Jeeps are abundant, everyone knows lots of people like them, want to own one, has owned one... so there will be several sightings of people in Jeeps practicing idiotic behavior, which is inherent of ALL people. Likewise, if someone went from driving a Civic to an FJ they may want to get it offroad in the city in some sense and end up in the same situation - equally stupid. I heard it said, Tone (rest his soul) single handedly tarnished the view of VXers by other Isuzu folk. If you heard someone bashing VXers because of a run-in with Tone, or anyone else for that matter, wouldn't you be annoyed? If a pic of a stuck VX ended up on an Integra forum and everyone decided to bash the lot of us, would you not be annoyed? You were annoyed at hearing how goofy 4-door sports cars are... Now, if that crap was aimed at generalized version of you at every turn by a group you belong to, how would you view those people? I bet you would be annoyed and view them as unclever children.

For all we know, some VX owning, paintballing kid ;) took dad's Jeep out one night and got it stuck in the mud. So if you replace "some Jeepers" with "some people" and keep things 'all encompassing' that way instead, you'd all make a little more sense. :yesy:

But the "oh another Jeeper doing the Jeep thing"... I mean seriously, where is your imagination? It's like repeating a joke everyone has already heard... or in effect, it's like driving a Jeep... "unoriginal." :rolly:

tom4bren
09/28/2009, 02:49 PM
All I know is that I wanna be 'godlike' cool & drive a jeep just like my bud Zeus.

Of course, I'd want 44s on it so I'd never get stuck (thin excuse for compensating).

Actually, I like Jeeps. I just don't need any more projects for the next 10-15 years.

Triathlete
09/28/2009, 03:10 PM
I have nothing against Jeeps, or Toys or any other 4x4 (except the overly lifted mall queens) and wheel with any one. That being said it is fun to goof about other makes and there capabilities. On the other hand if it were not for the styling uniqueness of the VX I would probably be in a Jeep or a Toy. Great capabilities (after you replace all those jeep parts (J/K):bwgy:), great aftermarket and can look pretty damn cool. What other vehicle can you lift 2 inches, and with a comp cut and flat fendered, run 40+ inch tires?

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 04:00 PM
All I know is that I wanna be 'godlike' cool & drive a jeep just like my bud Zeus.

Of course, I'd want 44s on it so I'd never get stuck (thin excuse for compensating).

Actually, I like Jeeps. I just don't need any more projects for the next 10-15 years.Dude, you're going to have to keep up! 54" tires are where its at nowadays! :) The cool thing is no matter what you put them on, you get an offset from Hell!

I have nothing against Jeeps, or Toys or any other 4x4 (except the overly lifted mall queens) and wheel with any one. That being said it is fun to goof about other makes and there capabilities. On the other hand if it were not for the styling uniqueness of the VX I would probably be in a Jeep or a Toy. Great capabilities (after you replace all those jeep parts (J/K):bwgy:), great aftermarket and can look pretty damn cool. What other vehicle can you lift 2 inches, and with a comp cut and flat fendered, run 40+ inch tires?
Haha, Billy, I'm with you. I wheel with anyone anywhere as long as what I am driving will make it.. and sometimes not make it! :P It's more fun wheeling different rigs with different rigs too. Every obstacle has a different look and feel and has to be approached slightly varied depending on the rig and blah blah blah... I guess I should just drop the labels so that I'm no longer annoyed - I am a "Jeeper" no more, I am a "VXer" no more, I am a "full-sizer" no more... I am now simply an open minded hippie redneck who loves trail riding in multiple machines. Now who wants to buy my Wrangler and VX? ;)

I hope it doesn't come across that I am all bent out of shape on the matter, as I know its a simple joke... it's just a lame one and I have been chugging coffee all day and the boss is gone so I get to hang out here all day and torment all of you people! :p

Triathlete
09/28/2009, 04:21 PM
You have to admit it though Zeus, the jeepers can kind of bring it on with their "you wouldn't understand...it's a jeep thing" stickers!:bwgy:

Knivx
09/28/2009, 08:28 PM
I'm ok with the "jeep thing" and it's stickers. Have had a couple Jeeps in the past (even a red lifted tj like everybody else :o ) The vx is by far my favorite rig so far followed extremely close by my old Series 2 rover and the Wrangler. I personally would never get a toy. I like a few of them out there i just feel there are too many of them around here (almost more than jeep's) and i just feel they're overrated and too expensive for a used truck for the condition ya get. I do like being different and the vx is perfect for that. And i do impress the hell out of alot of other wheelers in the club. Is it all the vx? Not to toot my own horn but no. Alot (not all) does come to driver skill and I've had enough experience with short wheelbase rigs that i know how to handle them. Not all comes to experience though as even the best wheeler out there can only go so far offroad with a civic.

And really the only stickers i'm gettin tired of seeing is the upside down "If you can read this then roll me over" stickers.

Almost as annoying to me as saying "just another day in paradise" when asked how are you.

But more back on topic jeeps can be just as capable in the right hands as a vx is. And i'll wheel with anybody as long as they're wheeling it and having fun! Wheeled with a pimped out h3 the other day with 24 inch rims. But he had fun and i'll be glad to help him feel welcome into the fold.

mdwyer
09/29/2009, 08:27 AM
You have to admit it though Zeus, the jeepers can kind of bring it on with their "you wouldn't understand...it's a jeep thing" stickers!:bwgy:

Exactly.

In any case, it was the 'stuck in a parking lot' that amused me more than anything. The make and model doesn't really mean anything. Even if it was a Honda Civic stuck in the mud, there'd still be the mystery of how the hell they got it there.

On that note, what happened in this picture? Someone already mentioned that they had the wrong tires. Maybe I've been living in drought areas too long, because it seems around here, you never see landscaping that soft.

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 08:34 AM
You have to admit it though Zeus, the jeepers can kind of bring it on with their "you wouldn't understand...it's a jeep thing" stickers!:bwgy:I hate those stickers, then again, I don't put any stickers on my rides. BUT! I think that sticker has different meanings. It prob'ly started with a question from someone who asked a guy why he keeps dumping money into his Just Empty Every Pocket CJ! Answer would be similar to someone who owns an old Jag... "It's a Jag thing, you wouldn't understand." Wheeling the trail, a strange noise was heard... "What the Hell was that?!", "It was the Jeep!", "Oh, it's a Jeep thing." (True story) So really it may be more of an inside joke than you realize... as in, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." :yeso:

tom4bren
09/29/2009, 08:37 AM
"you never see landscaping that soft."

I took my old Dodge P'up (RIP) to work at Fort A.P. Hill, VA years ago. I got in early to set up equipment & was the only one there. I needed a target to sight in on so I parked the Dodge near a fence about 50 yards out in a nice grassy area. Everything was fine until I went to move it about an hour later. It had sunk to the frame. Only the first 6 inches of soil was firm, the rest was at about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

It took a tank recovery vehicle to pull me out.

Would've made a great picture.:)

nfpgasmask
09/29/2009, 08:39 AM
i agree though, its more of an idiot driver thing... but that suggests that some jeepers have a tendency to think they are invincible...

Exactly.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bnuwCkmdoAI/SphmuvglNHI/AAAAAAAAAFY/eAZvvs3iVLc/s1600-h/mm.jpg

Bart

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 08:41 AM
I'm ok with the "jeep thing" and it's stickers.

But more back on topic jeeps can be just as capable in the right hands as a vx is. And i'll wheel with anybody as long as they're wheeling it and having fun! Wheeled with a pimped out h3 the other day with 24 inch rims. But he had fun and i'll be glad to help him feel welcome into the fold.No kidding?! I would love to have seen that H3 on the trail... got any pics? Was it a rocky trail, smooth...? Brave or stupid, I'm not sure but had to be entertaining for everyone! :)

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 08:43 AM
Exactly.

In any case, it was the 'stuck in a parking lot' that amused me more than anything. The make and model doesn't really mean anything. Even if it was a Honda Civic stuck in the mud, there'd still be the mystery of how the hell they got it there.

On that note, what happened in this picture? Someone already mentioned that they had the wrong tires. Maybe I've been living in drought areas too long, because it seems around here, you never see landscaping that soft.It is bizzarre. I had to ponder what kind of soil would be that squishy and gooey and still be good for the grass... so maybe you ARE right... it is a Jeep thing! :p

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 08:52 AM
Something like that actually happened to me several years ago. My lil CJ5 was kicking arse all over this offroad park - at the time, it was a free for all so you could go anywhere without worry of a trail system. Then I came to a lower region full of alkali-rich soil. Odd stuff, like you said, it had an outer layer of crust, but underneath was soft disgusting goo. In an instant, my Jeep lowered over a foot. There was no digging it out so luckily someone else was able to strap it out. That gunk was stuck in my frame for years until I finally did a frame off rebuild! Funny tho, you could pat on what seemed to be hard ground but it would jiggle... I called it an earth boob! After I associated it with boob it was tough to leave. LOL :bwgy:
"you never see landscaping that soft."

I took my old Dodge P'up (RIP) to work at Fort A.P. Hill, VA years ago. I got in early to set up equipment & was the only one there. I needed a target to sight in on so I parked the Dodge near a fence about 50 yards out in a nice grassy area. Everything was fine until I went to move it about an hour later. It had sunk to the frame. Only the first 6 inches of soil was firm, the rest was at about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

It took a tank recovery vehicle to pull me out.

Would've made a great picture.:)

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 08:54 AM
LOL - BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE
Exactly.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bnuwCkmdoAI/SphmuvglNHI/AAAAAAAAAFY/eAZvvs3iVLc/s1600-h/mm.jpg

Bart

tom4bren
09/29/2009, 08:57 AM
"Funny tho, you could pat on what seemed to be hard ground but it would jiggle... I called it an earth boob! After I associated it with boob it was tough to leave. LOL"

ROFL. You sir, have a sick mind ... my kind of people!!!

Ldub
09/29/2009, 10:43 AM
Funny tho, you could pat on what seemed to be hard ground but it would jiggle... I called it an earth boob! After I associated it with boob it was tough to leave. LOL :bwgy:

WTF???...:_thinking

So the Erf IS your mother?...:laughing:

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 12:15 PM
Mother Earth... I always thought of myself as an outdoorsman, guess that actually makes me a momma's boy! :D

pbkid
09/29/2009, 12:23 PM
dont get your panties all in a wad justin... i wheel with everyone too...

remember my last trip up in the mountains, i was with 4 jeeps....had a blast.
although they all did spend some time telling me that they didnt believe that i could do what they did. so i proved them wrong.

but ya. i wheel with anyone and everyone. soon ill probably be wheeling with the toyota crowd too ;)

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 01:28 PM
pppfffttt, keep up kid

Knivx
09/29/2009, 03:06 PM
No kidding?! I would love to have seen that H3 on the trail... got any pics? Was it a rocky trail, smooth...? Brave or stupid, I'm not sure but had to be entertaining for everyone! :)

It had a little bit for everyone. Nothing too extreme. Some really good obstacles that aren't in the photos. not sure how many of the h3 made it in there but ya can at least see my vx!

http://photobucket.com/bloomingtontrip

He has 24 inch wheels and 37's. We were all waiting for something to break but it just kept pluggin through it. The driver was new to wheeling though so he did take it easy and took easier lines.

ZEUS
09/29/2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, nothing... it did look like someone had a lil too much fun tho! CARNAGE! How far is that area from SLC?
EDIT: Looks like it's right on the Utah Idaho border - you guys wheel the Bear Lake area?

Knivx
09/29/2009, 04:01 PM
Thats just outside of Preston ID near a place called Mink Creek and goes over the mountains to Bloomington. Fairly close to Bear Lake. My club went down to Logan to some sweet canyon down there last saturday but i was stuck at work! Lots more stuff at planet4x4.net and the club i belong to is the Southeast Idaho Krawlers (sik) there's a forum for our club and some stuff that goes on up here. Next time ya come through Poky let me know and i'll show ya some cool stuff!

ZEUS
09/30/2009, 07:44 AM
Right on! We might have to schedule something; I've only wheeled ID once. I have been wanting to get to the Bear Lake area for some wheeling... but the snow is likely falling right now so I will prob'ly miss my window again. Perhaps a VX meet in the works...? :) See how good Jeeps are for everyone!? LOL

mdwyer
09/30/2009, 07:53 AM
It had a little bit for everyone. Nothing too extreme. Some really good obstacles that aren't in the photos. not sure how many of the h3 made it in there but ya can at least see my vx!

http://photobucket.com/bloomingtontrip

You know, this picture (http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af121/rustyjeep21/?action=view&current=summer09254.jpg) wouldn't be bad for a calendar shot. There are a couple of those pesky jeeps in the shot, but the VX is leading them. :)

ZEUS
09/30/2009, 08:53 AM
PhotoCHOP!

Knivx
09/30/2009, 09:36 PM
You know, this picture (http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af121/rustyjeep21/?action=view&current=summer09254.jpg) wouldn't be bad for a calendar shot. There are a couple of those pesky jeeps in the shot, but the VX is leading them. :)

that's my background to my destop now! Good pic only an old willy's and the trail leader sami ahead of me down "cowboy's prayer". I'd be honored if it ended up as a calender shot! I would've been leadin if I had known where i was goin! lol

Knivx
09/30/2009, 09:38 PM
Ya know i do need a good isuzu buddy and Lake channel (the closest sand dunes and rocks) is open year round up here! Just let me know when you're coming up! Hell if ya can make it up this saturday we got a bbq goin on and you could be my guest of honor!

ZEUS
10/01/2009, 07:43 AM
I'll look forward to headin up there! For this weekend though, I need to put some time into Zeus. Sprung an exhaust leak I need to fix... er, oh boy, I left that wide... ok, better clean that one up too. (I always feel like t4b is breathing down my neck ready to pounce on slips like that!) ...So my VX has an exhaust leak I need to take care of this weekend (weather permitting), so I can't make it up yonder just yet. Thanks for the invite tho, I'll use it as motivation to get off my duff and get some VX stuff done!

tom4bren
10/01/2009, 09:45 AM
Thank Yooooooou. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

BTW, I'm not the one who came up with the phrase 'embarassing exhaust'

ZEUS
10/01/2009, 09:51 AM
Nope you're just the one who in'vent'ed it! BuhDumBum

tom4bren
10/01/2009, 09:55 AM
Yer in rare form today. 2 up on me in just 2 hours.

I'll be ready tho for your next attempt.

tom4bren
10/01/2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/701zeus.gif

ZEUS
10/01/2009, 01:21 PM
DAMN! I'm aging quick! I should put that image on my hood insert!
Notice the pinky pointed out... that's right folks, above is the true "SHOCKER"!

tom4bren
10/02/2009, 06:06 AM
I found a better pic for your hood insert but it's on the 'puter at home. I'll try to get it posted next week (doin the tourista thang in Gettysburg this weekend).

BTW, the pinky pointing in that pic is just a 'sighting device' used for accurate implementation of the old lightning bolt down the shorts maneuver.

ZEUS
10/02/2009, 07:33 AM
Ohhh, now it makes even more sense - it also acts as an antenna to gauge the electron/proton ratio in the surrounding area for estimating the proper voltage to use.

tom4bren
10/06/2009, 10:54 AM
Sure ... makes sense to me;wtf;

ZEUS
10/06/2009, 10:58 AM
It's a lightning thing, you wouldn't understand! BAM, full circle! :D

tom4bren
10/06/2009, 11:02 AM
Dam ... we're not back to the 'lectric fan thang again are we???

tom4bren
10/06/2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/zeus.gif

"Zeus's weapon is the thunderbolt which he uses against everyone who displeases him."

Lo, and the VX croud doth shaketh that the mighty Zeus should raise his vengeful right pinky and smoteth their shorts with his fearsome bolts of virtue. His thunderous voice quells the quivering masses as he sayeth "tom4bren, thou shalt never one-upeth me" ... but Goonie Bird will have the final word.

BWAAHAAHAA!!!

ZEUS
10/06/2009, 01:06 PM
BUWAHAHAHA! ROFL! He even has my physique! However, all bow to Lord Goonie, for he is all knowing and all seeing... and he fashioned T4B in his own image - a GOON! ;)

handeeman
10/06/2009, 02:02 PM
.. but Goonie Bird will have the final word.
BWAAHAAHAA!!!

And Goonie Bird speaketh whilst mortal men sleepeth in their comfy beds.
All Hail Goonie Bird-All Hale Goonie Bird-Awe Hell Goonie Bird.

It's a Jeep Thang............

tom4bren
10/06/2009, 07:32 PM
ROFL! He even has my physique!

Yup, I was ROFL on that one too. Delusions of grandeur can be such a wunnerful thang.

ZEUS
10/07/2009, 07:31 AM
What would be the inverse of grandeur? Delusions of...?

tom4bren
10/07/2009, 08:00 AM
Umm. Ida know:_confused

Self depreciating
Window licker
Short bus rider
village idiot
lightbulb changer

Ldub
10/07/2009, 08:03 AM
What would be the inverse of grandeur? Delusions of...?

ninnyhammer

tom4bren
10/07/2009, 08:10 AM
ninnyhammer

LMFAO

How 'bout:

Jeeper

ZEUS
10/07/2009, 08:11 AM
There ya go! Delusions of self-deprecating window licking ninnyhammer... that's more like it. Translation: Jeeper

tom4bren
10/07/2009, 08:16 AM
Uh Oh. Do I sense a pinky pointed in my direction???

ZEUS
10/07/2009, 08:23 AM
No sir I'm tattling to your Goonie Master...

tom4bren
10/07/2009, 08:29 AM
IIRC goonie kicked yer butt once recently ... sure ya wanna poke that wit a stick???

ZEUS
10/07/2009, 08:34 AM
Live on the edge, remember!? :D

tom4bren
10/07/2009, 09:14 AM
I have no response to that.