PDA

View Full Version : 15 VX's destroyed and lost for ever!

Triathlete
09/25/2009, 09:22 PM
Yep, just what it says! Here is a list (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/shed-a-tear-for-clunkers-that-deserved-better/)of vehicles traded in for Cash4Clunkers.
Its amazing what was traded in and what was allowed to be traded in. What did they save by taking 800+ natural gas vehicles off the road?
Foose F150's, Bentley's, Masaratti's...and 15 VX's;eeky;:mady:

Ldub
09/25/2009, 10:29 PM
That's just depressing...:confusedw

Chopper
09/26/2009, 05:00 AM
I can't imagine there was much left of the "Foose F150" or the Bentley....when 3500 or 4500 bucks off a new Cobalt seemed a good deal. The parts are gone from those VX's, and that's a shame, but no one dumped any gems

vt_maverick
09/26/2009, 05:10 AM
Now we need to find out what yards they went to so we can grab the parts!

Mark B
09/26/2009, 06:08 AM
Anytime the government gets involved in a program, it gets screwed up.
Gut the engines, but save the parts. A lot of people cannot afford a new car and want to keep there old car running.

circmand
09/26/2009, 10:22 AM
Anytime the government gets involved in a program, it gets screwed up.
Gut the engines, but save the parts. A lot of people cannot afford a new car and want to keep there old car running.

It was part of the deal that parts could be resold from the trade ins

circmand
09/26/2009, 10:25 AM
If any of the collectable trade ins were worth more than $3500 the owners would have sold them rather than trade in for $3500.

handeeman
09/26/2009, 10:44 AM
It was part of the deal that parts could be resold from the trade ins

That is true...the salvage yards can sell the parts. now if we can find those 15 VX's....parts bonanza ! Maybe even a luggage rack for me and mikemol.

Actually, it's been a sad week for me this week. I've had to help move some of the clunkers to a holding area to be put to death (sodium-silicate). Some of these cars would make ya sick..2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4, 99 mercury Grand Marquis (mom and pop type car), 2000 Ford Windstar van clean as a whistle. These would have made a nice car for some hard working needy family.
For an old car dog like me it just breaks my heart to see-em put to death. They drain the oil, then pour in the silicate, most of em run about 4-6 minutes before they quit. We had one old dodge van that started to sieze up then kept on running they had to pour more silicate in it. Kinda like a person fighting for that last breath. Don't get me wrong, a lot of them are clunkers and needed to be taken off the roads but some of them are not guzzlers or clunkers.
We need to find the 15 VX's.

P.S. I did a search of all the manheim (total resource) auctions no VX's yet.

nocturnalVX
09/26/2009, 10:54 AM
:cryb:

I just ordered a new hood insert from Merlin. It would have been nice to have those 15 VehiCROSSes for parts rather than being crushed.
Yes, CRUSHED. I hate to say it, but none of the cars traded in can be resold or stripped for extra $$$. They must be crushed and recycled. I know there were many decent rides that could have gone to someone that can't afford a new car. Stupid.

VXorado
09/26/2009, 11:12 AM
Another successful government program :(

Triathlete
09/26/2009, 02:03 PM
If any of the collectable trade ins were worth more than $3500 the owners would have sold them rather than trade in for $3500.

Probably most....but, some people are just lazy and will take the quick and easy way out. There was a Masi Biturbo traded in here (Tucson) and the local news was doing a story on c4c. The dealer that took the Masi in on trade showed it to them. Immaculate condition and the dealer said it ran great. He said the guy was just tired of spending what it cost to keep it running that way. So, yes most were probably worth no more than the Gov gave for them, but...
A few collector types would probably liked to have gotten their hands on a few of those for restoration... Buick ASC GNX, DB7, Bentley, Foose F150, Roush Stage 3 F-150, 928 S4...

Gussie2000
09/26/2009, 07:43 PM
No words for this calamity.

I can't expresss my sorrow & sadness reading these kind of news.

RIP VX's you were the best ! :(

VXorado
09/26/2009, 08:03 PM
Theres actually a lot of cars on the list that would be fun to own and fix up (if needed).

Porsche 944, Subaru SVX, Nissan 300zx, and the last gen toyota supras.

Going by whats on the beginning of the list, lets hope its wrong and 15 vehicross' weren't traded in. Obviously there were some mistakes if a bentley and aston martin made the list.

lasturbo
09/26/2009, 09:16 PM
Another successful government program :(

I had this on the other thread rickshaw started, so in case you did not see it, and saddened by the loss of our 15 brothers/sisters, here is how successful the program was if you break it down this way:

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline. A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million gallons per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil…
5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption. And 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75 per bbl.

So, we all just spent $3 billion...to save $350 million.

Hmmmmmmmmm. How good a deal was that?
But, I'm thinking that they’ll probably do a great job with health care, though!

and if GM had to file bankruptcy , where did they get the money to expand their manufacturing plant in China ???

rickshaw
09/26/2009, 10:13 PM
Download the list of trade-in vehicles (http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/trade-in-vehicles.pdf)
The official CARS trade-in list (page 79) reveals that there were (15) VXs traded-in.
1999 (9)
2000 (4)
2001 (2)

handeeman
09/27/2009, 08:44 AM
I'm saying that those VX's don't have to be crushed, they just can't be put back on the road again. If any of you have salvage yard contacts they can put out an APB to other salvage yards looking for VX's. We might can find them before some moron decides their not worth anything and crushes them.

Y33TREKker
09/27/2009, 09:44 AM
...here is how successful the program was if you break it down this way:
True, the money involved is one way to break it down.

Another way to break it down though is the the amount of exhaust emissions emitted by each clunker compared to the emissions output of each vehicle being purchased as a replacement.

Bottom line (pun intended ;Dy; ), if the environment got so screwed up in the long run that it was no longer liveable, there would be nowhere to spend the money being saved on the fuel being pumped through those vehicles that were continuing to exponentially screw up the environment.

Sucks about those VX's though.

circmand
09/27/2009, 03:42 PM
:cryb:

I just ordered a new hood insert from Merlin. It would have been nice to have those 15 VehiCROSSes for parts rather than being crushed.
Yes, CRUSHED. I hate to say it, but none of the cars traded in can be resold or stripped for extra $$$. They must be crushed and recycled. I know there were many decent rides that could have gone to someone that can't afford a new car. Stupid.

The engines have to be made non operable all other parts can be resold.

Triathlete
09/27/2009, 05:12 PM
True, the money involved is one way to break it down.

Another way to break it down though is the the amount of exhaust emissions emitted by each clunker compared to the emissions output of each vehicle being purchased as a replacement.

Bottom line (pun intended ;Dy; ), if the environment got so screwed up in the long run that it was no longer liveable, there would be nowhere to spend the money being saved on the fuel being pumped through those vehicles that were continuing to exponentially screw up the environment.

Sucks about those VX's though.

Including those natural gas vehicles?:bwgy:

Y33TREKker
09/27/2009, 07:06 PM
Well I don't know the specific models you're referring to, but my guess would be yes, recently produced natural gas vehicles (and probably even older natural gas vehicles) would most likely have better (more reduced) emissions because of newer, more advanced emissions controls/systems than most of the older vehicles that qualified for the Cash For Clunkers program.

But then, natural gas burns cleaner than gasoline anyway.

Natural Gas Car Highs: Cleaner & Cheaper than Gasoline (http://www.kbb.com/kbb/green-cars/articles.aspx?BlogPostId=338&r=805446157380795000)

Spike
09/28/2009, 05:57 AM
Face it, this regime has gone way too far, and I see no stop to the lunacy!

WormGod
09/28/2009, 07:49 AM
Ya, some of those are absolutely depressing. Last gen Supra?! Really?! DIE!

don moore
09/28/2009, 08:12 AM
goes to show you ...<------funny saying..that there are alot of sheep that will belive anything..and fall for that dumb cash for clunckers scam.....lol

i could put a lot of gas and stuff into my VX for 30k

circmand
09/28/2009, 08:18 AM
goes to show you ...<------funny saying..that there are alot of sheep that will belive anything..and fall for that dumb cash for clunckers scam.....lol

i could put a lot of gas and stuff into my VX for 30k

But this program was just an easy way for the admin to help the UAW keep many of their union members employed that should have had their positions eliminated decades ago. It did nothing for the industry except make people who would have bought a car in the 4th quarter move it to the 3rd quarter and now the 4th quarter will be the worst on record. Quite simply too many cars are being built for the demand and creating a temporary demand only makes it look like something is being done

Y33TREKker
09/28/2009, 08:57 AM
On second reading, I noticed that the natural gas vehicles you were most likely referring to were the 800+ highlighted in your original post?

It was my understanding that for vehicles to qualify, their mpg's had to be a certain amount worse than the vehicle they were being traded in for, so while there are obviously exceptions to every rule, the emissions technology on those older natural gas vehicles still must not have compared well enough to the emissions technology on the newer vehicles.

While money was obviously a big factor in the program (boosting the economy, helping the automotive industry, etc.), wasn't the overall intention for creating the program a means of helping to clean up the environment? As crazy as it sounds for a person to say it in this day and age, money ain't everything.

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 10:11 AM
What really did this program do to clean up the environment tho? One car for another car? The lessened evironmental effects of going from one car to another car, regarding the number of cars traded, aren't even noticable. Most of the vehicles purchased are not going to do anything to improve or lessen the effects the crushed cars had on the environment. It perhaps shifts the type of pollution to be inflicted on the world but anything more than that is simply wishful thinking. Better fuel economy = drive more = same pollution. All I see that came from Cash for Clunkers is a bunch of people (tax payers) buying cars for other people. It was an automotive welfare program! As someone else said, it didn't do anything but make for a strong 3rd quarter and weak 4th quarter, it also increases the deficit and puts more strain on the rest of us who weren't looking to buy new cars. So really, yeah, even in this scenario, money IS everything!The rest is a smoke screen... ironic really, being that pollution was supposedly the reason behind it all...
On second reading, I noticed that the natural gas vehicles you were most likely referring to were the 800+ highlighted in your original post?

It was my understanding that for vehicles to qualify, their mpg's had to be a certain amount worse than the vehicle they were being traded in for, so while there are obviously exceptions to every rule, the emissions technology on those older natural gas vehicles still must not have compared well enough to the emissions technology on the newer vehicles.

While money was obviously a big factor in the program (boosting the economy, helping the automotive industry, etc.), wasn't the overall intention for creating the program a means of helping to clean up the environment? As crazy as it sounds for a person to say it in this day and age, money ain't everything.

Y33TREKker
09/28/2009, 12:49 PM
What really did this program do to clean up the environment tho?...
Well as they say, it's the thought that counts. I doubt that anyone was thinking that one program was going to solve everything, but nothing is going to improve if no one does anything. So, environmentally speaking, it was hopefully at least a step in the right direction.

Only time will tell what sort of impact program(s) like that will have in the long term.

circmand
09/28/2009, 01:12 PM
Well as they say, it's the thought that counts. I doubt that anyone was thinking that one program was going to solve everything, but nothing is going to improve if no one does anything. So, environmentally speaking, it was hopefully at least a step in the right direction.

Only time will tell what sort of impact program(s) like that will have in the long term.

But that thought cost us $700,000,000,000 and got us nothing. What they should have done was buy clunkers from impound lots and dealer auctions for less. They could have taken a lot more vehicles and spent billions or less.

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 01:12 PM
Well, I have to say, I think "the thought that counts" is half right. For example, the Prius is said to be more detrimental to the environment than a Hummer. Thought toward the evironment (although perhaps incorrect) presuades people to buy the Prius yet the hidden results indicate equal to greater harm toward the environment. I agree, as a whole, the world needs to operate differently to improve things but thought sometimes worsens the problem. Not that I know what we should do or that things are easy to fix. I'm just saying, I didn't buy the hype nor a car yet I will be paying for it. :(

Y33TREKker
09/28/2009, 02:04 PM
But that thought cost us $700,000,000,000 and got us nothing.
How can anyone possibly know that at this point?

Well, I have to say, I think "the thought that counts" is half right. For example, the Prius is said to be more detrimental to the environment than a Hummer.(
Well I guess my first question would then have to be; Who is it that promotes that thought? I mean, if it's the company that produces Hummers, of course they are going ask people to believe something like that. But if that's who was saying it (and since no specifics were given it could just as easily be that company saying it as not), the rest of the statement would sort of fall flat.

...I agree, as a whole, the world needs to operate differently to improve things but thought sometimes worsens the problem.
I wouldn't in a millions years disagree with you there.

...Not that I know what we should do or that things are easy to fix. I'm just saying, I didn't buy the hype nor a car yet I will be paying for it. :(
I imagine there are a lot of things we're paying for that, if we knew all the details, we wouldn't be very happy. Since it's over with now though, if Cash 4 Clunkers had flaws, lessons will hopefully be learned, and future programs will benefit.

ZEUS
09/28/2009, 02:17 PM
Since it's over with now though, if Cash 4 Clunkers had flaws, lessons will hopefully be learned, and future programs will benefit.
I whole-heartedly got your back on that one, that is very positive thinking! I hope your statement is true...

FlyingV77
10/21/2009, 08:04 AM
I tryed to trade in a 92 Buick POS that would make Adam Sandlers POS car look like a Maybach. they wouldnt take it. Because Uncel Sam calimed it got a combined 19 mpg. I was geting on aveage 9 mpg. It worked out for me though, now im a proud new owner of a 2001 VX, and im getting $200 from a scrap yard.