PDA

View Full Version : What possibly broke or could it be possibly still Ok

mikemol
09/24/2009, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I've got a question that some of you can help me answer.

I have just bought a Mazda Tribute that was in an accident. I asked a tow truck to come and get it when that truck was on it's way with another car on it. He said he would take it to one location and then will come to tow my SUV. An hour later he came still with that car on it. When I asked how he is going to tow my SUV he said he would lift the front and two it that way. I said that Tribute is a 4 WD and so has to be on all four wheels and he said that my model is not a 4 WD. Since I just got it and I knew it was a cheaper model I thought that maybe he is right and didn't bother to look underneath the it to double check.

Anyway, we started and about two miles later I saw that the back wheels all of a sudden got blocked and I saw something like a cloud of dust or compressed air escaping somewhere from the back and then wheels were not spinning anymore and smoke started coming out. Since the tow truck couldn't stop right away he kept driving a little more and the wheels started spinning again but I think that's because something got broken in the either back differential or rear axel. I'm not that familiar what may happen in cases like that. Then he stopped, lowered my mazda, drove to a side road, took the other car off the top and put mine on all four wheels on the top and then he brought it to my garage. He saw me worrying that something must have broken and assured me that rear axel doesn't break and that everything is ok.

Now my question is - what could have gotten broken and maybe I should starting looking into taking apart and checking and another question - in this scenario is it possible that everything is still ok?

When looking from the back of the car underneath I can see some fresh oil on the rear differentiantial or whatever it's called - that thing in between the rear wheels in the middle.

Also how can I know check if the 4 wheel drive is working or it's only two wheel drive now?

Any advices are appreciated.

Thanks.

Gussie2000
09/24/2009, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I have just bought a Mazda Tribute that was in an accident. I asked a tow truck to come and get it when that truck was on it's way with another car on it. He said he would take it to one location and then will come to tow my SUV. An hour later he came still with that car on it. When I asked how he is going to tow my SUV he said he would lift the front and two it that way. I said that Tribute is a 4 WD and so has to be on all four wheels and he said that my model is not a 4 WD. Since I just got it and I knew it was a cheaper model I thought that maybe he is right and didn't bother to look underneath the it to double check.

Anyway, we started and about two miles later I saw that the back wheels all of a sudden got blocked and I saw something like a cloud of dust or compressed air escaping somewhere from the back and then wheels were not spinning anymore and smoke started coming out. Since the tow truck couldn't stop right away he kept driving a little more and the wheels started spinning again but I think that's because something got broken in the either back differential or rear axel. I'm not that familiar what may happen in cases like that. Then he stopped, lowered my mazda, drove to a side road, took the other car off the top and put mine on all four wheels on the top and then he brought it to my garage. He saw me worrying that something must have broken and assured me that rear axel doesn't break and that everything is ok.

Now my question is - what could have gotten broken and maybe I should starting looking into taking apart and checking and another question - in this scenario is it possible that everything is still ok?

When looking from the back of the car underneath I can see some fresh oil on the rear differentiantial or whatever it's called - that thing in between the rear wheels in the middle.

Also how can I know check if the 4 wheel drive is working or it's only two wheel drive now?

Thanks.

Oh man !

Dunno,but it the tribute is really a 4x4 the drive train may go boom. :(

mikemol
09/24/2009, 08:38 PM
It is a 4 WD, I looked under the car and saw a driveshaft going to the back from the front. Do you mean transmission by drive train or driveshaft? I'm not quite sure what drive train is.

Knivx
09/24/2009, 08:46 PM
I hope you're gonna have the tow company cover the cost of fixing your damaged drivetrain because their driver is an idiot and didn't check. What you described is not a normal thing to happen. Have a mechanic look at it and fix it and then send the bill to the tow company. Thats what i'd do.

Gussie2000
09/24/2009, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Thanks.

It is a 4 WD, I looked under the car and saw a driveshaft going to the back from the front. Do you mean transmission by drive train or driveshaft? I'm not quite sure what drive train is.

By drive train i mean trans,driveshaft & diffs

mikemol
09/24/2009, 09:03 PM
Is there a possibility that it's still good?

psychos2
09/24/2009, 09:13 PM
what usually gets damaged is the transfer case. I would talk to a dealership that works on them and see what they think as they should know what could be damaged. shawn

mikemol
09/24/2009, 09:31 PM
what usually gets damaged is the transfer case. I would talk to a dealership that works on them and see what they think as they should know what could be damaged. shawn

Thanks, I'll do that.

VXorado
09/24/2009, 09:35 PM
It is a 4WD, I looked under the car and saw a driveshaft going to the back from the front. Do you mean transmission by drive train or driveshaft? I'm not quite sure what drive train is.

Typically a 2WD SUV will also have the driveshaft going from the front to the back. Check to make sure there is a driveshaft going to the front too. If both axles are linked to the transfer case, then you have 4WD.

Now you need to know if you have AWD (all wheel drive) like the VX or if its a standard 4WD. I'm guessing its AWD and the tow truck did serious damage to the transfer case or something else in the drivetrain like Gussie explained.

Find out and make them take responsibility for the damage.

Ldub
09/24/2009, 11:00 PM
Also, have the tires that locked up at speed (if I'm understanding this correctly) checked. They probably have flat spots if they locked up & skidded.

tom4bren
09/25/2009, 07:13 AM
by your description, it sounds like you're in for some MAJOR repairs.

If the Tribute wasn't totalled by the accident, it prolly is now.

VX crazy
09/25/2009, 07:25 AM
What a stupid tow truck driver, he had to get underneath to hook it up and should have seen it was 4 wheel by looking underneath.......he should have put the back tires on sling dollys, I would be pist!

WormGod
09/25/2009, 07:29 AM
by your description, it sounds like you're in for some MAJOR repairs.

If the Tribute wasn't totalled by the accident, it prolly is now.

+1

http://blog.mlive.com/taking_notes/2007/07/dollar-sign.jpg

JAMAS
09/25/2009, 07:36 AM
He saw me worrying that something must have broken and assured me that rear axel doesn't break and that everything is ok.

I wouldnt trust that guy as far as I could throw him. He is just trying to cover his own butt. I hate when you say one thing and then they give it some "I totally know more than you ...TRUST ME" bullsnot and then are usually wrong. At which point they make up a reason why it was your fault to begin with. I am usually a pain to deal with when I get something towed or worked on. Its MY vehicle NOT yours. I want it on a flat bed or I will give my business to someone else.....irritating

You totally need to have a 3rd party look at the vehicle that he towed and have the towing company pay for repairs.

Triathlete
09/25/2009, 01:55 PM
I would take it some place else (dealer) to have it checked and get an estimate. Make sure and tell them about the towwing experience. Then I would take the repair estimate to the towwing company and tell them to cut you a check...if they refuse I would find a good atterney.
I am pretty sure the Mazda Tribute is a front wheel drive vehicle (in 2wd models). The 4x4 model has a trans axle so there will be no front drive shaft. Just a rear shaft coming from the trans axle/transfer case.

pbkid
09/25/2009, 03:06 PM
The 4x4 model has a trans axle so there will be no front drive shaft. Just a rear shaft coming from the trans axle/transfer case.
correct... the front 'axle' would be the transmission... and then the rear would have a standard axle