PDA

View Full Version : New tires getting ordered on Monday

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 12:49 PM
I am going to finally pull the trigger on my new tires. I will be ordering a set of General Grabber AT2 in 255/60R18. If anyone has any reason why I should not get these tires, please speak now or forever hold your peace. I just wanted to check one last time before I bought them.

------
As a side note, this change of tires will leave a rather nice (90% tread left?) set of Kumho Ecsta STX 265/60/R18 available. Make me an offer if you are interested.
------

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 12:56 PM
Didn't like the Kumhos?

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 12:57 PM
Didn't like the Kumhos?

I wanted a set of All-terrain tires for snow, etc. The Kumho's were put on by the PO. They were great for dry and rain, but I wanted somthing more significant for Ohio winters.

Its kinda funny, I actually saw the same Kumho tire (different size) on a corvette that I pulled up next to the other day.

vt_maverick
09/23/2009, 12:58 PM
Go bigger. ;)

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 12:59 PM
I'd go for the Kumho's but they'd leave a 1.5 inch gap all the way 'round my rim. Hard to keep em aired up that way.

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 01:01 PM
Go bigger. ;)

I wanted to stay around the same size that I have now.

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 01:03 PM
I wanted a set of All-terrain tires for snow, etc. The Kumho's were put on by the PO. They were great for dry and rain, but I wanted somthing more significant for Ohio winters.

Its kinda funny, I actually saw the same Kumho tire (different size) on a corvette that I pulled up next to the other day.Ahh I see. Opinions vary but I was really pleased with the Kumhos when I had them. Wyoming Christmas blizzard was handled... er, handily.

Hope this isn't thread jacking.

I agree with Mave, go bigger!

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 01:04 PM
I wanted to stay around the same size that I have now.

Do NOT make statements like that 'round here. Boss Man said I had to keep it 'family friendly'.

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 01:07 PM
...can't stop laughing...

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 01:10 PM
Do NOT make statements like that 'round here. Boss Man said I had to keep it 'family friendly'.

We get it. You have BIG tires. Every other post from you lets us know that.

Compensating?

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 01:14 PM
HAHA! Still laughing....

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 01:14 PM
Ahh I see. Opinions vary but I was really pleased with the Kumhos when I had them. Wyoming Christmas blizzard was handled... er, handily.

Hope this isn't thread jacking.

I agree with Mave, go bigger!

I have heard both sides. Some have said the Kumho's do great in the snow, others have said not so much.

My vision for my VX included a set of all-terrain tires, so perhaps I am using this as an excuse.

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 01:15 PM
Yer runnin 18's, I'm only runnin 15's.

Who's compensating???

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 01:17 PM
Yer runnin 18's, I'm only runnin 15's.

Who's compensating???

Whatever you gotta tell yourself "Captain Offset from Hell"

JAMAS
09/23/2009, 01:24 PM
I'd go for the Kumho's but they'd leave a 1.5 inch gap all the way 'round my rim. Hard to keep em aired up that way.

I may have been a bit quick to jump you. I thought you were talking about wider rims. Not shorter. Hence spreading the gospel of Offset again.

But you werent.....this time :)

I didn't figure it out till you mentioned you have 15's. Although, you do have large tires.

My bad.:embarasse

handeeman
09/23/2009, 01:29 PM

Dubs not on-line at this time, but I'm sure he would say something like buy-em and "duct tape".

And JAMAS you got me thinkin about how to convince the wifey I need new tires like Nittos or Generals..she prolly won't buy better handling in the snow (she's blonde she might) here in Fl. I could go with the ol you never know when we might need em.:smilewink

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 01:31 PM
Dubs not on-line at this time, but I'm sure he would say something like buy-em and "duct tape".

And JAMAS you got me thinkin about how to convince the wifey I need new tires like Nittos or Generals..she prolly won't buy better handling in the snow (she's blonde she might) here in Fl. I could go with the ol you never know when we might need em.:smilewink

COMPENSATION ... tell her that manly tires will make you feel young again ... wink ... wink.

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 01:34 PM
I may have been a bit quick to jump you. I thought you were talking about wider rims. Not shorter. Hence spreading the gospel of Offset again.

But you werent.....this time :)

I didn't figure it out till you mentioned you have 15's. Although, you do have large tires.

My bad.:embarasse

its all good. I was gonna let you have that one but since you brought it up ... wazza matta. You sleep deprived or sumpin?

BTW, 33x12.50's are fairly common round here "difference is ... I make it look good" (Men in Black 1)

vt_maverick
09/23/2009, 01:55 PM

Well while we're staying with movie references, try this one on her:

"Peer pressure's a mother @#$!@#" (Dave Chapelle on why he started smoking weed in Half-Baked)

After she laughs, invent a reason that you need to visit a snow covered area once a year and maybe she'll bite. :D

circmand
09/23/2009, 01:56 PM

You feel the tires you have on the VX now make your but look big and if you buy the tires you want now you can save $200.

VX KAT
09/23/2009, 02:03 PM
You feel the tires you have on the VX now make your but look big and if you buy the tires you want now you can save $200.
This, from the unmarried guy, er, never married guy...:laugho::laugho:
Don't worry, Handi knows not to use that one, not even whisper it.....:laugho::laugho::laugho:
Good try though Dave!:thumbup:

circmand
09/23/2009, 02:20 PM
Don't worry, Handi knows not to use that one, not even whisper it.....:laugho::laugho::laugho:

I also think a rule for marriage should be the wife has to give advanced warning when she plans to start a fight over something stupid. Then at least the guy could go out do something that will get him in trouble. Then the wife could start a fight over something sane and the guy at least would get the opportunity for a little fun before he gets in trouble

pbkid
09/23/2009, 03:55 PM
I also think a rule for marriage should be the wife has to give advanced warning when she plans to start a fight over something stupid. Then at least the guy could go out do something that will get him in trouble. Then the wife could start a fight over something sane and the guy at least would get the opportunity for a little fun before he gets in trouble
lol that would be nice

Riff Raff
09/24/2009, 02:47 AM
I will be ordering a set of General Grabber AT2 in 255/60R18.
------

JAMAS--- You make me proud. Enough said.:mbrasd:

JAMAS
09/24/2009, 05:01 AM
JAMAS--- You make me proud. Enough said.:mbrasd:

;Dy;

handeeman
09/24/2009, 05:49 AM

You peeps crack me up !:smilewink:smilewink:smilewink:smilewink:smilewin k
And to stay on JAMAS tire thread.
I knew Riff would be proud.

rowhard
09/24/2009, 07:30 AM
I am going to finally pull the trigger on my new tires.
------

Be sure to check the manufacture date since they are being pulled from some warehouse. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=173492#post173492

Ahh I see. Opinions vary but I was really pleased with the Kumhos when I had them. Wyoming Christmas blizzard was handled... er, handily.

different kind of snow out west then back in Ohio. Much nicer.

JAMAS
09/24/2009, 07:45 AM
Be sure to check the manufacture date since they are being pulled from some warehouse.

Definitely! That is priority one. Especially since my tires will be replaced from age before they are replaced for wear. I live about 10 miles away from work.

pbkid
09/24/2009, 04:59 PM
Definitely! That is priority one. Especially since my tires will be replaced from age before they are replaced for wear. I live about 10 miles away from work.

goes to show you that you need to get out and use that baby!!! take a road trip, go off-roading... do something!

JAMAS
09/25/2009, 05:56 AM
goes to show you that you need to get out and use that baby!!! take a road trip, go off-roading... do something!

Unless I win the lottery and have spare cash to fit and fix the vx when it breaks, I probably wont be doing a bunch of off-roading. I do, however, look forward to having no problems trekking through the sloppy mud to get to the pumpkin patch and the crazy hill, mud, and ice to get the Christmas tree. I also have been looking forward to the time when we get 8 feet of snow and everyone is panicking at work because they wont close the office. I no longer will need to panic about whether or not I will be able to make it home.

It may also make a road trip to Chicago a few times to visit family in the winter.

blujfan9293
09/26/2009, 10:33 AM
I just got Grabber HTS 265/70/18 and really like them. I did a lot of research for price, quality and dry/wet/snow ratings. HTS comes out on top, are lighter than the A/t tires and look good, esp w RWL showing

handeeman
09/26/2009, 11:12 AM
I just got Grabber HTS 265/70/18 and really like them. I did a lot of research for price, quality and dry/wet/snow ratings. HTS comes out on top, are lighter than the A/t tires and look good, esp w RWL showing

Hey blujfan, post some pics when ya get time...thanks.

JAMAS
10/06/2009, 11:55 AM
I am going to finally pull the trigger on my new tires. I will be ordering a set of General Grabber AT2 in 255/60R18. If anyone has any reason why I should not get these tires, please speak now or forever hold your peace. I just wanted to check one last time before I bought them.

------
As a side note, this change of tires will leave a rather nice (90% tread left?) set of Kumho Ecsta STX 265/60/R18 available. Make me an offer if you are interested.
------

what a difference a couple of weeks can make. After some detailed reviews and e-mails with Riff-Raff I have changed my statement of

"I will be ordering a set of General Grabber AT2 in 255/60R18."
to
"I have ordered and am having installed tonight a set of GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor in 265/60R18"

I will keep everyone posted with how they do. Although, I feel very confident in my purchase after e-mailing with Riff-Raff.

Thanks a million Riff-Raff!!!

VX KAT
10/06/2009, 12:10 PM
I recall seeing those, they ranked really high, like 3rd out of 21 in TireRack's tire survey by consumers. Sound great!

Riff Raff
10/06/2009, 05:28 PM
JAMAS--- Thanx for your kind words of support and it's my sincere pleasure to help you finalize your tire decision. After we considered many other tires in various sizes besides the Grabber AT2, we discovered there were better options available in a wider 265 series. The GoodYear - Wrangler Silent Armor is an amazing tire with a lot of technological advances, a deep aggressive open tread and the coveted Snowflake/Mountain rating.:yeso:

JAMAS
10/07/2009, 05:33 AM
well....after my ride home from the installation last night, I couldnt be happier. I have nothing to report yet as far as traction goes (snow,rain,offroad,etc). However, the standard ride was GREAT. Everything felt smoother, quieter, and all around comfy. I mounted them white letters in and they look AMAZING. Although, the kumho's did look pretty good too. Just a completely different look.

Bring on the snow!

vt_maverick
10/07/2009, 01:57 PM
well....after my ride home from the installation last night, I couldnt be happier. I have nothing to report yet as far as traction goes (snow,rain,offroad,etc). However, the standard ride was GREAT. Everything felt smoother, quieter, and all around comfy. I mounted them white letters in and they look AMAZING. Although, the kumho's did look pretty good too. Just a completely different look.

Bring on the snow!

You know it's coming...

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p