PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Moab Trip

ZEUS
09/22/2009, 08:47 AM
I went to Moab again recently and had a blast like always... it was never this intense though... well Pritchett Canyon was pretty intense too... Anyway, my dad had just built up the latest addition to the wheeler line-up and HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtbJpwS-zQ) are some pieces of the maiden voyage. This is my first vid compilation. Youtube sucks and made the transitions all choppy tho...

It is a beater of a truck; (B.U.B.B.A.) I call it "Big Ugly". I took it thru Helldorado Gate, up Potato Salad Hill, and over The Escalator. That's right I made it thru The ESCALATOR! WOOHOO! Crazy fun and Menace rode up it with me. I broke the rag joint on the steering shaft right after I climbed out of Helldorado and the steering pump is quite loud now... 38" tires and an ARB are torturous on steering parts!

HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3YMMkxzhk) is my buddy Eli following my line up Potato Salad Hill... pretty simple.

The truck did great, I am so proud of my dad for getting this rig up and running; I was merely his consultant and driver! :) We figured out the bugs during this adventure but they are pretty minimal!

Specs:
383 Stroker (Holley Truck Avenger Carb)
SM465 4-speed (6.5:1 1st gear)
NP205 t-case (2.0:1 low range)
Dana 60 front (4.10:1, ARB)
'04 Corp 14-bolt (4.10:1, Detroit Locker, factory discs)

VX KAT
09/22/2009, 11:27 AM
Awesome!

tomdietrying
09/22/2009, 12:35 PM
Too cool!
Peace.
Tom

pbkid
09/22/2009, 01:18 PM
Looks like a blast. Wish I lived closer to Moab

nfpgasmask
09/22/2009, 01:59 PM
I'll check it out when I get home if I go on the PC tonight. No YouTube from work. I need to get my sheet together and hack this beotch!!

:evil: Bart

tom4bren
09/22/2009, 02:06 PM
I'll check it out when I get home if I go on the PC tonight. No YouTube from work. I need to get my sheet together and hack this beotch!!

:evil: Bart

I'm in the same boat. H8 it.

nfpgasmask
09/22/2009, 10:17 PM
Cool, gotta love JC. And he's right, Winnemucca is one hell of a dusty place! ;)

I like the shot of the rusted out lower sills. Its a familiar site for me right now...

Bart

Triathlete
09/22/2009, 10:42 PM
Cool pics! Escalator looks fun! How far into Hellderado did you get. Just the gate keeper or did you do the waterfall at the end?:thumbup:

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 08:25 AM
Cool, gotta love JC. And he's right, Winnemucca is one hell of a dusty place! ;)

I like the shot of the rusted out lower sills. Its a familiar site for me right now...

BartI took that pic of the sill because it actually contacted a rock just before that but you can't tell because that piece fell off! Rust bucket 'o fun! The roll cage is handy to have... too bad the metal all around the mounts is disappearing... :) Hard to believe it used to be a show truck, huh!?

Cool pics! Escalator looks fun! How far into Hellderado did you get. Just the gate keeper or did you do the waterfall at the end?:thumbup:We got to the gate and had a picnic and then started thru it. The truck rotated 90-degrees counter clockwise in that first hole - abundant and unbelievable occurences to mention during this ride! 2 hours and 50 feet later the rag joint on the steering shaft gave up the ghost. We zip-tied it back together and started back for town. Kinda scary driving a rust bucket 'o fun along the highway knowing your life is dependent on the strength of two little zip ties! :yesb: We didn't even plan on getting to the fall wall - we were going to turn up hill to get to Green Day where my buddy broke an axle on his Jeep one year. ...redemption, you know. Our trail repair for that episode was a heavy stick and high lift bar strapped to the side of the Jeep to keep the busted axle shaft from sliding out... got a pic in Petersen's for that one! :)

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 09:51 AM
I have to explain something going on in this pic:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/3948196172_c5d724047d_b.jpg

Do you see how dark it is under the right rear tire? Well above that on the outside of the frame rail is the fuel tank, which is above the fuel cap in this shot! Gravity forced gas to start pouring out from the gas cap! There is at least 4 gallons of gas in that sand. I was afraid of a fire starting so we had to winch it out and try again, then the 2nd attempt was smooth sailing. Nerve-racking though having to restart a stalled truck that has the exhaust cut before the rear axle and points directly at 4 gallons of gas!

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 10:48 AM
Dude - you do like living on the edge don't you.

Cool pic tho

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 12:28 PM
Dude - you do like living on the edge don't you.

Cool pic thoI go from "on edge" to "on the edge" rinse repeat... it's more comfortable on the edge and the view is nicer! :bgwo:

tom4bren
09/23/2009, 12:38 PM
I have no response to that.

Triathlete
09/23/2009, 02:55 PM
Should of lit the gas up...would of heated up the tire and gave super traction!:laughy::deady::laugho::deadgray::laughb: :deado::laughgray;ooy;

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 03:16 PM
LOL, didn't consider that for some reason. I could have lit it up after I made it out of there I suppose and had a lil camp spot!

ZEUS
09/23/2009, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah, check this out:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2422/3947397429_de5be43203_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/3948188202_3b31bc1726_b.jpg
They're finishing up a parking lot and toilet shack at the entrance to Hell's Revenge. The exit has also been re-routed - I don't think you can get to Rubble Hille or that cool little sluice anymore... new fencelines and trail markers all over.

Triathlete
09/23/2009, 08:20 PM
Wow, they dozed the "bump" on the left. I think we came out the new exit with Todd when we did the trail this year...it exits into that big parking area, right?

ZEUS
09/24/2009, 07:39 AM
Yeah it does but the routing to get there has changed again - all the bonus thrills have been blocked... as far as we could tell anyway. Sucks cuz I really wanted to squeeze the truck through all that and leave some paint behind!

taylorRichie
09/24/2009, 07:47 AM
Wow! nice!

Next time you go and if you have an empty seat I'd love to hitch a ride. I need more experience as a rider so I can get some confidence as a driver :D

I know my buddy wants to go do a few trails this late october early november.

Looks like a blast!

ZEUS
09/24/2009, 08:59 AM
Wow! nice!

Next time you go and if you have an empty seat I'd love to hitch a ride. I need more experience as a rider so I can get some confidence as a driver :D

I know my buddy wants to go do a few trails this late october early november.

Looks like a blast!
LOL You know you'd be welcome; the problem is you're in line :yeso: I have several friends mad at me for not taking them yet. I was thinking last night... I have wheeled 4 different vehicles in Moab this year. 2 Jeeps, the Chevy, and the VX. Too bad I don't have the money or drive to get my Army truck on the trail too!

What trails is he planning on running? Taking the VX too?