PDA

View Full Version : turn signal relay ??

orion
09/21/2009, 01:59 PM
looking for turn signal relay under dash. I did search, but didn't find a good explanation as to where it is. anyone know?

ZEUS
09/21/2009, 02:19 PM
I would check the fuse box under the hood, passenger side.

orion
09/21/2009, 02:27 PM
not there, the posts Ive read say it's under the dash, and you have to reach up there a ways. but i cant see or feel it.

ZEUS
09/21/2009, 03:07 PM
Hmmpt, I don't know what to tell ya otherwise. You can usually hear the blinker and can follow your way to the sound if you have enough blinker fluid. Did you check your blinker fluid? :P

Y33TREKker
09/21/2009, 03:34 PM
Are you looking for the flasher unit, or the flasher fuse? The flasher unit is in the dash fusebox, which is on the left side of the dash behind a removable panel. (Look for the hood release on the front of the dash, then move left around to the side/end of the dash for a trapeziodal shaped, removable trim panel).

The flasher fuse is in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

orion
09/21/2009, 03:35 PM
I'll try following the blinker sound, i recently added a extra large blinker fluid reservoir, so i should have enough. :thumbup:
i am looking for the flasher unit, it's not on the fuse block behind the panel.

ZEUS
09/21/2009, 04:49 PM
I just ran out and gave a quick listen; while I never did find the relay, the noise did seem to come from the backside of the fuse panel in the dash. I checked the manual and finally found on page 181 pic 43 a horrible pic of where it is supposed to be. It looks like you need to remove the left kick panel and then you can get to it.

orion
09/21/2009, 06:31 PM
found it!! man that thing is buried. from the fuse block go forward about 6in then up about level with the air vent. you can just get your arm past the 3 wire harness. its all by its self above a somewhat large connection.

thanks ZEUS for the help:clap:

Marlin
09/21/2009, 06:42 PM
found it!! man that thing is buried. from the fuse block go forward about 6in then up about level with the air vent. you can just get your arm past the 3 wire harness. its all by its self above a somewhat large connection.

thanks ZEUS for the help:clap:

Don't forget to refill the blinker fluid!!!

Grif
09/21/2009, 07:07 PM
Don't forget to refill the blinker fluid!!!

Pref Mobile1 synthetic!

WormGod
09/22/2009, 06:56 AM
Just curious what your business is with the blinker relay. I have been meaning to swap out the relay to remedy my fastblinkercomplexsinceIhaveLEDsnow. ;) Recently did a LED swap in my STi and it came with a quick swap relay which did the trick amazingly well, but I need to see the relay the VX blinker uses to see if there is a direct replace or if I need to do some splice work.

orion
09/22/2009, 05:13 PM
i replaced relay with a direct fit LED relay form http://superlumination.com/equalizers.htm it works with any combination of LED and standard bulbs. it works great.
this our relay
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_0443.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=15943)
the prongs are marked E B L.

WormGod
09/23/2009, 07:12 AM
Is that an EP34 (type CF13) you posted as the direct fit? I REALLY am interested in finally resolving my zippy flashers, heh.

And you say it's a direct fit eh? Your post just might be the nudge I needed to get this done.... after 6 years of waffling on it. :bgwo:

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/cf13_jl02_wm.jpg

orion
09/23/2009, 01:37 PM
Thats the one, it is a little bit bigger than stock, but it fit with no problems.

WormGod
09/24/2009, 07:36 AM
Awesome. Your efforts and information is much appreciated. :)

workmeistr
09/25/2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Orion.

I just ordered one. I tried to find a flasher a year ago when I decided against adding more load resistors or replacing the ones I have. I did install resistors in-line with the tail lights, and I went too many ohms (6 ohm on each side, and I should have gone 3 ohm each?). Bottomline, I have hyper-flash Turn, but normal speed Hazard. I hope this flasher does the trick. Thanks again.

vxcp
05/11/2014, 10:05 AM
Just did the flasher relay swap. Super easy and fast. Just reach your arm up under dash from below -- without disassembling anything. It's location is behind (toward engine bay) fuse panel, up (toward sky) above fuse panel, and on the far left side of vehicle (when facing steering wheel from seat). The old relay is held in with a little plastic clip on top. The new superlumination one is slightly larger and doesn't use the clip. You may have to bend the clip out of the way (with fingers) to get the superlumination part to fit.

Bill Brown
07/13/2014, 06:41 AM
Just did the flasher relay swap. Super easy and fast. Just reach your arm up under dash from below -- without disassembling anything. It's location is behind (toward engine bay) fuse panel, up (toward sky) above fuse panel, and on the far left side of vehicle (when facing steering wheel from seat). The old relay is held in with a little plastic clip on top. The new superlumination one is slightly larger and doesn't use the clip. You may have to bend the clip out of the way (with fingers) to get the superlumination part to fit.Hehe, "super easy and fast", words of doom and failure in my book. Just spent the past hour trying to find that ?@#$%^ flasher, but to no avail.:mado: Will give it another try, then will let a knowledgeable tech at Alltech do the exchange, lest I loose it and subject my dash to crowbar mods.:disturbed

vxcp
07/13/2014, 08:39 AM
:(

Flasher relay is pretty far up. Might have to reach your arm up under the dash just about as much as possible.

Bill Brown
07/13/2014, 09:17 AM
:(

Flasher relay is pretty far up. Might have to reach your arm up under the dash just about as much as possible.Thanks. Too hot in the garage, now, for any more tinkering. Will try in the morning. Wednesday, scheduled to get my windows and window washers repaired at Alltech. If I fail at replacing the flasher tomorrow morning, will just add replacing the flasher to Wednesday's appointment.

Had Best Buy's Geek Squad replace my Vehicross stock radio with a new satellite radio, iPod, MP3, etc., compatible, bluetooth ready, HD radio receiver, Friday. Their solo technician, Tony, did an excellent job in about an hour even while chatting with me most of the time. Back in the 70s, installed a new stereo in my then new Datsun B210. Only took me about 2 days.:laughy:

vxcp
07/13/2014, 09:23 AM
Sure thing. Good luck!