PDA

View Full Version : Moab Date Change - What Do You Think?

tomdietrying
09/21/2009, 12:52 PM
Here's a thought and a question. We were dicated to when we had each Moab ZuZu. When Isuzu ran it they told us when it was. It was always next week after Mother's Day. That ment the VX Run was on the first Tuesday after Mother's Day.

I don't know about you, but in order for me to make it to the VX Run that ment I had to leave a day before Mother's Day. I've been doing that for the last 5 years. Needless to say I haven't celebrated Mother's Day with my Mom or my wife for five years.

Since we are no longer dictated by Izusu why not move it back a week after Mother's Day. That will solve two problems. First, I will not be on my wife's and Mom's hit list. Second, those out at Moab the last couple of years have noticed the week we have been going out to Moab has be taken over by the a national ATV group. They have choosen that same week to do there trail runs too. There are over 500+ ATV on the trails with us.

Anyone want to change the date to the following week? That means the VX Run would be on May 19th.

Remember, this is only a discussion nothing has changed.

Peace.
Tom

JoFotoz
09/21/2009, 12:56 PM
It might be tough to change it for the next one in 2010...

... as many have already made vacation/hotel bookings etc.

But for 2011..sure.

jo

orion
09/21/2009, 02:06 PM
I like this idea, the ATVs will only become more of a problem for us. as for hotel reservations, i think we are far enough out that it could be easy to change.

Triathlete
09/21/2009, 02:20 PM
Tom, "Isuzu" never had anything to do with ZuZoo. It was just a group of Zu enthusiests getting together that was "organized" over on the 4x4wire. One thing against moving it back is that there are others involved besides just the VXers. Another is the further you push it back the hotter it will be. The current date flirts with the severe desert heat as it is. If it is much earlier you have the EJS leftovers still there. Just some stuff to think about.

ZEUS
09/21/2009, 02:21 PM
Plus Bart could enjoy his anniversary without guilt... ;)

Dumke
09/21/2009, 02:23 PM
I am for change sure doesnt hurt me either way, whatever gets more people out there. I wasnt there this past year so I didnt see all the quads but yes I can see how that could be quite and obsitcle.

Ascinder
09/21/2009, 02:45 PM
I wasnt there this past year so I didnt see all the quads but yes I can see how that could be quite and obsitcle.

No they aren't. The VX shouldnt have any trouble getting over them:bwgy:

circmand
09/21/2009, 03:33 PM
Tom, "Isuzu" never had anything to do with ZuZoo. It was just a group of Zu enthusiests getting together that was "organized" over on the 4x4wire. One thing against moving it back is that there are others involved besides just the VXers. Another is the further you push it back the hotter it will be. The current date flirts with the severe desert heat as it is. If it is much earlier you have the EJS leftovers still there. Just some stuff to think about.

May desert heat? I know you are in Tucson I live in the middle of the desert myself at sea level no less so no releif there. 1 week later in May would not make it unbearably hot. Hey they do that marathon run throgh death valley later than that when the heat is really arrived.

VX KAT
09/21/2009, 05:15 PM
I'd prefer earlier, as the temps "should" be a tad cooler. Cooler the better from my perspective, but not too near EJS.

pbkid
09/21/2009, 07:29 PM
definately DONT want to move it towards EJS.... those guys are a pain in the @$%....

they are known for stealing others peoples parts off their rigs during the night and being total jerks on the trail...

Ldub
09/22/2009, 01:52 AM
AFAIC...leave it as is, there are a whole bunch of other ZU heads, other than the VX fam, that I enjoy seeing every year...A lot of em' drive Troopers, Amigos & Rodeos.
My Mom doesn't care what the date on the calendar is, as long as we get to celebrate her day.
She likes the fact that the resturaunts etc. aren't crowded out the door with swarms of mother lovin' sons & daughters...:yes:

My two cent$, FWIW

VX crazy
09/22/2009, 05:17 AM
AFAIC...leave it as is, there are a whole bunch of other ZU's, other than the VX fam that I enjoy seeing every year...A lot of em' drive Troopers, Amigos & Rodeos.
My Mom doesn't care what the date on the calendar is, as long as we get to celebrate her day.
As a matter of fact, she likes the fact that the resturaunts etc. aren't crowded out the door with swarms of mother lovin' sons & daughters...:yes:

My two cent$, FWIW

I ditto dub, I always preferred to celebrate with mom early without the crowds anyway. To me it has always seemed stupid, mothers day and fathers day, like you should pick ONE day out of the year to show appreciation for these people, you should reach out to your parents way more than that!

Scott Harness
09/22/2009, 05:45 AM
I ditto dub, I always preferred to celebrate with mom early without the crowds anyway. To me it has always seemed stupid, mothers day and fathers day, like you should pick ONE day out of the year to show appreciation for these people, you should reach out to your parents way more than that!

X2...if any move...I would vote for the fall... October!

Ldub
09/22/2009, 06:30 AM
X2...if any move...I would vote for the fall... October!

There's always crawloween ...(they still doin' that?)

But for me, Moab Zuzoo in May is mostly what keeps me going through the long winters up here...mostly...:yesgray:

ZEUS
09/22/2009, 07:24 AM
definately DONT want to move it towards EJS.... those guys are a pain in the @$%....

they are known for stealing others peoples parts off their rigs during the night and being total jerks on the trail...HAHA! Ironic... sounds mostly like pbkid to me. With that said, have you ever been to EJS? :p

nfpgasmask
09/22/2009, 09:12 AM
Plus Bart could enjoy his anniversary without guilt... ;)

There it is. I think this is an awesome idea. For me, the date really kills it for me. My wife is a saint and I love her for going for 2 years straight, but it is very hard for me to keep doing it.

Personally, I would love to see ZuZu in Moab in like October or some other time when it is much, much cooler. Even in May, the underside of my forearm gets regularly burnt on the side of my VX. And I know I can really only speak for myself, but I would MUCH rather camp in cooler weather. I'm sure most folks would disagree there though. :cool!:

So, not that my vote counts for much, but I think moving the dates is a damn fine idea. The farther away from May 13th, the better!

The thing is, this idea would have to go over well with PlanetIsuzoo and the folks on 4x4 wire as well. Otherwise, we could just make a whole new "VehiCROSS Event" and do our own thing. But we are already the "snobs" of the ZuZu crowd anyhow I think. :laughing:

Bart

tomdietrying
09/22/2009, 12:52 PM
You have to remember.....It's not my perception of when Mother's Day should be celebrated. Both my mother and wife have this perception that Mother's Day is when you should celebrate it. It's like Christmas....it's celebrated on the 25th of December. There are many scholars that believe that not even the day Jesus was born on, but here we are celebrating it on the 25th. If you don't like my arguement, because the travel time to get to Moab falls on Mother's Day. Then you don't love your mother as much as me...........LOL.......... and I'll never convince you using that arguement.

The other point noone has argued against it. There are A LOT of quad out there at the same time as us. We are a group of 30 including VXs, Troopers, and Rodeos, with 20 of those being VXs. There are over 500 Quads that took over our ZUZU week. Our numbers are shrinking, and there numbers are growing. May is a great time to have it. I'm not in favor of changing the month. All I'm suggesting is moving our date back one week. It won't be any hotter moving it a week back, but there will be 500+ quads less to deal with.

Peace.
Tom

Don't be that old fart that says ....."well, that's the date we always had....so we have to keep that date." I say run it by Planet Izusu.

nfpgasmask
09/22/2009, 01:19 PM
Don't be that old fart that says ....."well, that the date we always had....so we have to keep that date." I say run it by Planet Izusu.

Billy, you wanna take the helm on that? You've been a Planet member longer than I, and at this point, I still don't know if I will be able to attend the 2010 gathering, but I certainly intend to return at some point.

I still wish we had 2 ZuZus a year.

Bart

pbkid
09/22/2009, 01:25 PM
I still wish we had 2 ZuZus a year.

Bart
X2 I'll be there. Probably in a runner but I'll be there

LittleBeast
09/22/2009, 01:46 PM
For me if it is May 10-17 I CANNOT make it, this is when we have conference outdoor championships this year. But after this May 18-31 should be ok for me :)