PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Shocks

Bieredalsace
09/21/2009, 06:48 AM
Saw an "ad" for Gabriel shocks claiming they would give the VX a much smoother ride. Does anyone have any knowledge about this or advice about changing Something to get a smoother softer ride?
Thanks

handeeman
09/21/2009, 11:22 AM
Saw an "ad" for Gabriel shocks claiming they would give the VX a much smoother ride. Does anyone have any knowledge about this or advice about changing Something to get a smoother softer ride?
Thanks

Sorry Bieredalsace, I can't help ya on that one, but if your not too tall you might could try a feather pillow for the softer part j/k. I'm sure someone knows the answer, however I don't recall seeing anything about Gabriel shocks before.

vt_maverick
09/21/2009, 11:23 AM
Link to the ad might help...

Osteomata
09/22/2009, 07:14 AM
I thought some people on here said that the Rancho's on the right setting provide a smoother ride...

circmand
09/22/2009, 07:43 AM
I knew we could

Ldub
09/22/2009, 02:53 PM
I knew we could

word!:yesgray:

VX KAT
09/22/2009, 06:27 PM
Here's a summary of my experience:
I too searched for a smoother ride....I replaced the OEM shocks (turned out 2 were blown...which certainly added to the ride problem) with the Rancho RS9000XL x4, set them all at level "5". My VX rides abut 1/2" above rear bump stops so it still hits that all the time, but the shocks definitely improved rough road (i.e. dirt/gravel) ride comfort, but still rough, don't get me wrong. Rear door jiggles less violently.

When I researched on here about shocks (by using the search function :D)), I found in general folks said these Ranchos set at max of 9, are still softer than the OEMs. In general, they also said, we'd lose some tight cornering ability with the Ranchos set low.

I haven't changed my settings yet, but I think I will try a 2 or 3 just to see what it's like.

I picked these Ranchos because of the 9 levels of adjustment....figured SOMEWHERE in those 9 settings I should find one that suits me.

Everybody said NOT to bother with the in-cabin remote controller- POS, broke, didn't work, don't waste your money.

Everybody, including my mechanic, talked me out of cutting rear bump stops in half, as some have done.

etlsport
09/22/2009, 08:33 PM
i test drove a VX for sale with gabriel shocks.. very soft ride.. it was quite comfy.. but just did not have the sporty feel i am accustomed to in my VX, so not for me but if you want a luxury SUV type ride, go for them

Bieredalsace
09/23/2009, 07:37 PM
"VX KAT" and "etisport", Thank you both very much for your input. I'm sure the Gabriels are cheaper than the Rancheros so I'll start there. I was always under the impression that Rancheros were used mostly with Lift Kits which is exactly opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. BUT if the Gabriels don't work then I'll switch to the 9 level Rancheros.
Thanks again

VX KAT
09/23/2009, 07:52 PM
I was always under the impression that Rancheros were used mostly with Lift Kits which is exactly opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.

No, mine is not lifted at all and has no torsion bar turns...stock height. You usually can find this model of Ranchos for "Buy 3 get 1 free"...mine came to $97 x 3 plus $75 for installation. I think 4wheelparts.com has that special now.