PDA

View Full Version : Was Cooper Zeon LTZ: now HELP with tires!

ScottinMA
09/19/2009, 11:47 AM
In follow-up to the former thread Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60-18 started by VK KAT (if your interested read the end of the thread for my frustrating experience) I found what I hope will fit. Yokohama geolandar a t-s in 275/60-18s but the price quotes I'm getting are sick! Has anyone used these tires? I've read the online reviews and things sound good so I'm inclined to take the plunge if I can locate a decent deal. Riff Raff, the Maxxis Marauders don't have the teeth I need for my trips over a mountain in VT during winter and the 255 alternatives are what I've had (and I might add successfully cutting through the deep stuff with the Nitto Terra Grapplers in that size) but I'm wanting a new wider look for my ride.

Riff Raff
09/19/2009, 03:27 PM
Scott--- I believe I truly understand your personal desire criteria for your wheel/tire set-up; it is:

o Must continue to use your new 18x9 aftermarket rims (no exceptions).
o You desire not to "lift" your VX in any manner (no R-springs & no T.B. cranks).
o You desire a low profile (low aspect ratio) tire that will fit with minimal rubbing issues.
o You prefer the widest tire possible; preferably 285 series, for a meaner look.
o You prefer a meaty aggressive tread for your off-road excursions.
o You prefer a tire that is highly capable for MA snow.

Having established the "criteria", I will do my best and aid in your search for the elusive tire (it's out there somewhere). Further, I'll E-Mail you directly so we don't bother the rest of this forum. Please look for my E-Mail shortly. Riff Raff

LittleBeast
09/19/2009, 04:21 PM
So you don't want Terra Grapplers? That is always what I liked, but I am sure Riff will give you plenty of different options shortly.

ScottinMA
09/19/2009, 04:53 PM
As a consequence of my new rims the 285 60r 18 are no longer on the table. I loved my Nitto 255s but want something that will fill the wheel well. And yeah, Riff is doing everything he can to help. I went ahead and put an order in on those geolanders after I got a better price this afternoon.

VX KAT
09/19/2009, 11:31 PM
Too bad the Coopers didn't work out, but sounds like the Geolanders will look great...can't wait to see them on a 9" wide rim! I know what ya mean about getting a tire to really fill the wheel well...I'm really happy with my Zeons as they look huge to me. Pics Pics Pics as soon as ya can!

ScottinMA
09/20/2009, 03:54 AM
VX KAT

The Geos were a special order so I don't expect to get them before the end of next week. Then there is always the possibility that they won't fit either. But if all goes well I will post some pics for sure.

wintermute
04/14/2010, 10:01 PM
Scott's criteria is nearly identical to mine, minus the snow capability. (I'm in SoCal) :yesgray:

• I'm considering an 18x9 aftermarket rim with a +30mm offset.
• I'd like to go slightly wider/bigger on the tire, but do not want to lift or mod the cladding at this time.

Is this possible? VXKat was kind enough to point me to many threads on the subject, which seemed to indicate that trimming the cladding was necessary on an 18x9 with a 285/60. Would an 18x9 wheel require trimming even on a stock tire?

:confused:
:_confused

vt_maverick
04/15/2010, 08:56 AM
You're probably not going to like this answer, but I think the truth is that you really won't know until you mount them. I just picked up a set of 265-60-18's and had to trim the cladding just as much as those with 285-60-18's. You have to remember that these vehicles were hand built so they're not all EXACTLY the same.

As someone who really is averse to cutting ANYTHING if possible, I will tell you that the trimming required for slightly larger tires really isn't bad at all. It was super easy to do in the driveway with a Dremel, and only another OCD VX owner would ever know that it had been done.

VX KAT
04/15/2010, 09:29 AM
and only another OCD VX owner would ever know that it had been done.
:laugho:
It's funny..I was like Miss OCD of the year most of my life about everything, and still have a lot of that let, but for some reason, I'm fine with things on the VX...I think it really started to change when I was on Hells Revenge last year going down a vertical slap of slickrock...with full brakes on, you still slide down.:eek::freek: I scraped the front bull bar and flattened the lower part of the tubing, as well as scraped the rear gas tank protector and underside of rear cladding, and re-shaped the tail-pipe to a "D" shape.....but the grin on my face was just too much fun! Ashley you'll enjoy the rims & tires so much the cut cladding memory will fade away! I'll know they're there, but I'll never tell! ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3225/thumbs/DSCN1665.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14072)

wintermute
04/15/2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies and advice.

vt_maverick
04/15/2010, 11:10 AM
:laugho:
It's funny..I was like Miss OCD of the year most of my life about everything, and still have a lot of that let, but for some reason, I'm fine with things on the VX...I think it really started to change when I was on Hells Revenge last year going down a vertical slap of slickrock...with full brakes on, you still slide down.:eek::freek: I scraped the front bull bar and flattened the lower part of the tubing, as well as scraped the rear gas tank protector and underside of rear cladding, and re-shaped the tail-pipe to a "D" shape.....but the grin on my face was just too much fun! Ashley you'll enjoy the rims & tires so much the cut cladding memory will fade away! I'll know they're there, but I'll never tell! ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3225/thumbs/DSCN1665.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14072)

:hj: Cutting discussion to be continued in the 696 thread... finished that install last night. :D