PDA

View Full Version : Door handle problem

mikemol
09/17/2009, 09:44 AM
I've got a problem with my driver's door. I starting opening it and I could hear something slipped and the door wouldn't open. I opened the passenger door and was able to open my door from inside.

I took the door pannel off and found out that the plastic connector came off the handle that is supposed to make that arm that goes from the lock to the handle stay in the handle. I pushed it back in the handle and it clicked so I thought I got it fixed. I put the pannel back on and three days later it came off again. So now I don't have the pannel on at all so that I could quickly put it back on. That's quite annoying.

Has anyone ever had problems with that and where would I be able to buy a new platic connector like that? I tried to find a Rodeo, Trooper or Amigo on local junk yards but only one of them had a Trooper that was about 1994 and that's it and I'm not sure it's it has the same part.

Can I order it anywhere?

CrnCnn
09/17/2009, 10:31 AM
I have had this problem and yes its VERY annoying. Im sure you can get the clip thru the dealer. I used a grommet and a zip tie to fix mine. ;) I was tired of going thru the passenger side and didnt want to wait for parts to get here.

handeeman
09/17/2009, 10:41 AM
Boy, Mikemol, mine just did the same thing this past MON. Drivers side and all. Call merlin at St Charles isuzu 1-800-727-8066. the part you need is: 897037509-0 (drivers side). i ordered 3, one to fix it now and a couple of spares. i also ordered 2 for the pass. side #897037508-0 , plus I ordered 12 of the door clips ( the things that hold the door panel to the door) #894318803-1. I think the order was like $17.00 total. shipped and to arrive in 5 days...plus I mentioned vehicross forums for a 15% discount (included in the approx.$17.00 total).

JoFotoz
09/17/2009, 11:07 AM
X2...I did exactly the same..its lasted 2 years so far!

I used a grommet and a zip tie to fix mine. ;)

jo

mikemol
09/17/2009, 11:31 AM
Thank you so much, I'll order them too.

handeeman
09/17/2009, 12:30 PM
One other thing, I was told that one of the reasons this occurs is when your hand slips off the door handle while opening and the handle springs back. So the door handle non slip tape (thread by VCrossfan) prolly helps prevent this from happening.

rowhard
09/17/2009, 02:22 PM
I've got a problem with my driver's door. I starting opening it and I could hear something slipped and the door wouldn't open. I opened the passenger door and was able to open my door from inside.

Guess you got it figured out. I wrote a how to on this a couple of years ago. http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=22

mikemol
09/17/2009, 05:00 PM
One other thing, I was told that one of the reasons this occurs is when your hand slips off the door handle while opening and the handle springs back. So the door handle non slip tape (thread by VCrossfan) prolly helps prevent this from happening.

I'm not sure if slipping has anything to do with it. Mine is just worn out a lot. I just tried to open the door handle and was looking down the glass to see if it's sliding off or not. It took anywhere from 10 to 20 tried for it to slide off the rod and I never let the door handle slip.

handeeman
09/18/2009, 12:04 PM
Guess you got it figured out. I wrote a how to on this a couple of years ago. http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=22

I'm not sure if slipping has anything to do with it. Mine is just worn out a lot. I just tried to open the door handle and was looking down the glass to see if it's sliding off or not. It took anywhere from 10 to 20 tried for it to slide off the rod and I never let the door handle slip.

Actually, I got the parts numbers from rowhard's how to...Funny thing now I will have to follow his thread to fix it..Thank ya rowhard that's just one of the ways this forum gives back more than it cost to be a site supporter.

Mikemol, my mechanic buddy is the one that suggested the possible cause for this part to fail was snapping back the handle over the years. As far as I know it's just and old age thing.