PDA

View Full Version : Phone number list

JAMAS
09/16/2009, 01:24 PM
I was driving down the road the other day thinking about what I would do if something happened and I needed someone to talk me through <Insert basic road side problem here>. So I had the thought of a phone list. However, there would have to be some additional MONCHA thoughts to make that happen successfully and safely. Perhaps if you are a site supporter and you have supplied a legit phone number, then you get a copy of the list (or somthing like that). Anyone else have any thoughts on that matter?

pbkid
09/16/2009, 03:07 PM
i would want some more safety information.....

nfpgasmask
09/16/2009, 03:30 PM
I share my number with plenty of folks on here, but personally, it is an as needed basis. Sure there are some members who I "trust" with personal info more, but in general, I would not want my number on some wide-spread list.

Bart

Knivx
09/16/2009, 03:31 PM
Any Yayhoo could potentially sign up and share a number and even donate and get all our numbers. Something like only members that have been on here for so long and has some level of reputation can get the list? But how would you determine that?

pbkid
09/16/2009, 04:42 PM
I share my number with plenty of folks on here, but personally, it is an as needed basis. Sure there are some members who I "trust" with personal info more, but in general, I would not want my number on some wide-spread list.

Bart
x2!!!
i have definately gave people my number here... and thats because i trust them, not because im afraid of anyone coming to get my stuff...more afraid of harassing phone calls.

i would have no problem giving my number to members that i know, and have known for a while. its really easy nowadays to pay like $5 for someones FULL information: ie- name, address, phone number, marital status, credit score, etc.

i would want the person to be 'accepted' by moncha as a real person who we can trust with each others info first, but im sure that would cause trouble when people weren't accepted on the list :)

spaceCADETzoom
09/16/2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not trying to discourage this or anything...but why the need? If you needed info about the VX it seems the forum and a search would be just as good. And as far as calling someone, it seems that the person one would likely call would be someone that person already knows well enough to call... Maybe it's me, but I don't think I'd call a stranger on some phone roster simply because I'm in his area code. If I had a VX problem, again, I think searching then lurking on the forum, or even sending a PM to a local stranger, seem more likely choices for me. If you know a person well enough to be a friend, you probably already have their number. Just my 2 cents

JoFotoz
09/16/2009, 09:08 PM
YEA..an interesting conundrum.

Fact is...like others here...

....I/we share numbers based on prior interaction and trust.

It really is the only way...IMO.

Either... interact with VX owners in your area...and share numbers one on one...

...or get a AAA membership!

jo

nfpgasmask
09/16/2009, 09:16 PM
YEA..an interesting conundrum.

Fact is...like others here...

....I/we share numbers based on prior interaction and trust.

It really is the only way...IMO.

Either... interact with VX owners in your area...and share numbers one on one...

...or get a AAA membership!

jo

Yeah, Jo, I still need to talk to you, man! ;)

Bart

JoFotoz
09/16/2009, 10:23 PM
Yea Yea..you were at lunch...then I got busy!

Yeah, Jo, I still need to talk to you, man! ;)

Bart

Call me in the morn between 10:00 & 11:00 my time...or I'll call you.

Cheap Hotel..or stay with us!

jo

JAMAS
09/17/2009, 05:25 AM
I'm not trying to discourage this or anything...but why the need? If you needed info about the VX it seems the forum and a search would be just as good.

Kinda hard to pull up the forum on the side of the road.

JAMAS
09/17/2009, 05:30 AM
Maybe it's me, but I don't think I'd call a stranger on some phone roster simply because I'm in his area code. If I had a VX problem, again, I think searching then lurking on the forum, or even sending a PM to a local stranger, seem more likely choices for me.

My thinking was not that it had to be a local person, just someone with knowledge of the VX or at least the forum. I was actually thinking about what would happen if I got a flat (I know this info is on the forum) and at the time, I didnt know where to put the spare. Front or back based on the TOD. So there I would be sitting on the side of the road and terrified to make the wrong decision.

Anita
09/17/2009, 11:22 PM
I keep a number of VX'er numbers in my cell... those who I have regarded knowledgable and always available should I need help. It's a good idea especially when you arent close to a computer. I feel calmer knowing I have their numbers as well as my mechanic's cell number at hand. Merlin's number is programmed in my cell as well.

In case others dont know: Never put the donut spare on the back, always on the front. Flat tire on the back needs to be switched with a front tire and the donut placed on the front. Limit your speed and distance with one of things on.. they are trouble.

workmeistr
09/18/2009, 04:56 AM
I have proudly put my phone number in all posts since Dec 2006 (OK, really since last March when I finally got a VX).

If anyone ever has a breakdown on I-80 in, ahem, Nebraska. I am graciously at your service.

I have posted on this subject before:
The established VX Members Map should include full contact information, so trekkers can have the information when taking longish drives in the VX (Includes address, email, day/night phone numbers, repair facility (Garage/driveway)/level of available tools).

When I drove across the country and half way back earlier this year, it would have been nice to know where fellow owners were located along my route, in case of minor or catastrophic failures.

Maybe it's a different time, now, but the Land Rover Community has, and still does, I believe, this mapping and I used it many years ago when I was driving my '72 88" SWB (Marlin Perkins-type, spare on the bonnet) Land Rover from Georgia to Kansas. At KC, all three exhaust manifold-to-first pipe bolts broke off and my truck was screaming and zapped for power. I pulled out the map I had printed and linked up with the Paustians (I'll never forget their name due to their kindness), who were listed on the map as multiple LR owners with a garage and basic tools. I spent the afternoon with them, they fed me, and we removed the broken studs, drilled through the inlet manifold flange, and attached the first pipe to the manifold with straight bolts. It was a Gods Must Be Crazy repair that I rode for about 5 months before I replaced the manifold, not because it wouldn't have worked forever, but was simply unsightly.

Another benefit of my situation above was the respect it garnered from my wife. Sometimes it's hard to keep the spouse as excited about your current 4-wheeled passion as yourself. This story of generosity and field repair only helped keep the support (read that as 'financing') to my present passion flowing.

Please, as a community, support this initiative and if you think merging a full contact list with the Members Map is a good idea, please voice up.

Gussie2000
09/18/2009, 10:43 AM
I have proudly put my phone number in all posts since Dec 2006 (OK, really since last March when I finally got a VX).

If anyone ever has a breakdown on I-80 in, ahem, Nebraska. I am graciously at your service.

I have posted on this subject before:
The established VX Members Map should include full contact information, so trekkers can have the information when taking. longish drives in the VX (Includes address, email, day/night phone numbers, repair facility (Garage/driveway)/level of available tools).

When I drove across the country and half way back earlier this year, it would have been nice to know where fellow owners were located along my route, in case of minor or catastrophic failures.

Maybe it's a different time, now, but the Land Rover Community has, and still does, I believe, this mapping and I used it many years ago when I was driving my '72 88" SWB (Marlin Perkins-type, spare on the bonnet) Land Rover from Georgia to Kansas. At KC, all three exhaust manifold-to-first pipe bolts broke off and my truck was screaming and zapped for power. I pulled out the map I had printed and linked up with the Paustians (I'll never forget their name due to their kindness), who were listed on the map as multiple LR owners with a garage and basic tools. I spent the afternoon with them, they fed me, and we removed the broken studs, drilled through the inlet manifold flange, and attached the first pipe to the manifold with straight bolts. It was a Gods Must Be Crazy repair that I rode for about 5 months before I replaced the manifold, not because it wouldn't have worked forever, but was simply unsightly.

Another benefit of my situation above was the respect it garnered from my wife. Sometimes it's hard to keep the spouse as excited about your current 4-wheeled passion as yourself. This story of generosity and field repair only helped keep the support (read that as 'financing') to my present passion flowing.

Please, as a community, support this initiative and if you think merging a full contact list with the Members Map is a good idea, please voice up.

I can't agree more on this particular topic.

Guys !

All this misconception about safety is just too much.
Phones numbers are all of public records no matter what steps you take to avoid it.

The same companies that provide us with products & services sells or shares,to the extend of the law,information such as names,mailing adress and/or phone numbers for "commercial & advertisement" purposes.
I can share with you guys my tale with this ex-member from minnesotta who sold me the racks.
Before he shipped the racks he told he was going to a trip to canada for 1 week;After two weeks i didn't had any info regarding the racks & did sent him few e-mails & no responds.
Honestly i got worried because he already had the payment so i begin to figured out a way to get in touch with him.

After looking into the yellowpages.com website i easly found his house number,he was completely surprise.He's PC got a virus which damaged the hard drive's sector 0 (PC gurus will know what it is) & he didn't had other means to replay my messages,thereafter i was able to get my racks shipped.

We are good people here,we aren't terrorists or criminals to be afraid from each other that way.
I also think that if any of us feels threated by any means HEY ! It's just a number & you can change it any time you want.
I also think about a fellow member from north dakota coming to NYC such as larry & he really needs help going around the city or just to figured out something he needs to know about;Who else but me to give him a hand,by just having my number he can let me know he's in the city so i can be aware of him needing any time my help,or what about me going to FL & needs some one in orlando for tips about good hotels and/or nights clubs to spend quality time ?
I have etlsport,beavertractors,otto,cryzyfool & the rest the members whom attend tri-state meet back in july & quite sure none never had safety issues thru sharing their cellphone numbers with me & viceversa
Again,we are all good family oriented-hard working people with moral.& values that shares at least one common interest
I can't feel my safety compromise with you guys after receiving telemarketers calls all the way from FL about housing opportunities down in fort lauredale.

I'm up for any idea to agree on common grounds to share my number with any one that thinks it's usefull now or in the future.

JoFotoz
09/18/2009, 11:10 AM
I must admit...I'm kind of changing my thoughts on this.

Knee jerk reaction was "protect my privacy"...
.....and I'm not sure thats really valid.

One google of my photo business gets ya my number anyway!

So...let me save you a google...

1-858-270-1232

Need help in San Diego / So Cal area......feel free to call me.

jo

pbkid
09/18/2009, 11:43 AM
I have proudly put my phone number in all posts since Dec 2006 (OK, really since last March when I finally got a VX)......

I can't agree more on this particular topic.

I must admit...I'm kind of changing my thoughts on this.

Knee jerk reaction was "protect my privacy"...
.....and I'm not sure thats really valid.

One google of my photo business gets ya my number anyway!

So...let me save you a google...

1-858-270-7745

Need help in San Diego / So Cal area......feel free to call me.

jo
good men, and very true points....
i keep various VX numbers in my phone, people that i know would help me out if needed, and what better networking than this site?
i keep: biju, cece, darrin, justin, kenny, larry G, mark, and moncha in my phone.
likewise, with the others, if you find yourself in colorado and need help, please feel free. i have some tools and a big driveway. (even if i dont have a VX)
Jack
720-273-1099

Scott Harness
09/19/2009, 02:17 PM
Dallas Tx area 214-826-2361 or cell 214-537-9418
I already get a millon cold calls a day!:mad:

don moore
09/19/2009, 09:16 PM
Eugene Oregon
541-513-0278 anytime.. if your driving through or need a rest stop.

Gussie2000
09/19/2009, 11:07 PM
Good guys !

Here you go : 1718 314 3767

For any of my fellow VX'ers coming to the big city just buzz me & i'll be there :yeso:

JAMAS
09/21/2009, 08:05 AM
I guess I can't really post a thread and not participate.

West Chester, Oh (near Cincinnati)

Call whenever you need something. Food, beer, help, etc.

Jon - 513-549-4566

Mile High VX
12/23/2009, 06:34 PM
Good comments and a great idea!

South of Denver in Castle Rock, CO...just off I-25. Call if you need anything or just passing through.

303-880-8551

tomdietrying
12/23/2009, 09:25 PM
Here's my info. If your in the Dallas area, give me a shout.
214-604-1443
Peace.
Tom

tom4bren
12/28/2009, 10:59 AM
If you're ever in the Greater Washington/Baltimore/Richmond metropolitan area, gimme a call.

540-760-3510

If I don't pick up, leave a message so I can call you back (I only screened your call because I didn't recognize the number as someone from 'The Fam'.

Tom

EDIT:

Marker on member map also updated to include phone info.

etlsport
10/21/2011, 06:39 PM
Tree oh one six oh six four nine seven nine.. Always willing to help out a friend.