PDA

View Full Version : Cracked screen!

alterastro
09/16/2009, 10:08 AM
My chip has turned into a 12" crack now :mad: Now waiting on Autoglass to get back to me as to how long it's going to take to get one from Japan and how much! Wish me luck!

Nick :(

nfpgasmask
09/16/2009, 10:15 AM
That sucks, I got a nasty rock chip in my windshield and I had it filled right away. So far so good.

Good luck,

Bart

alterastro
09/16/2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks. Incidentally, the woman at Autoglass said that the only screen they show for a VX is bronze tinted. Is that true? I'm not near mine at the moment so can't have a look, but I don't ever remember thinking "hmm thats bronze tinted"! :bgwo:

Thanks

Nick

nfpgasmask
09/16/2009, 10:22 AM
I have heard that after market screens for the VX here in the US have a blue tinting on them. But I honestly have no idea. Personally, I would try to get an OEM shipped over. I picked one up for someone from a junkyard here for $100 USD, which is like a couple quid to you guys. The real expense would be safe shipping over to you.

Bart

MSHardeman
09/16/2009, 10:31 AM
I had my windshield replace a year, or so, ago due to a very large rock trying to make it's way into the passenger compartment and here in the US there are two replacement windshields for the VX. One has a strip of blue tinting at the top and the other does not. I don't remember ever seeing anything about bronze tinting. Are you sure the lady has her vehicles right? I've seen that bronze tinting on Lexus', but never on an Isuzu.

VX KAT
09/16/2009, 03:55 PM
Mine had the blue tint on top when I bought it and somebody in Moab told me they could tell that was a non-OEM because of the tint.

That one got cracked, replaced it in June...blue tint on top.

Got another big chip 2 weeks ago...had to be replaced again (neither time could it be repaired) and glass guy said he could get either a US or a Japan (brand name is Nippon).

I recalled reading some thread where somebody had a leak with non-OEM windshield/screen and it was resolved by getting an OEM screen....so I went for the Nippon OEM...and it has no tint at top.

nfpgasmask
09/16/2009, 04:03 PM
I just checked car-part.com and there are several listed. $100 is fair for an OEM windscreen since Merlin told me they cost $800 new. :eek:

Bart

lasturbo
09/17/2009, 12:11 AM
I just checked car-part.com and there are several listed. $100 is fair for an OEM windscreen since Merlin told me they cost $800 new. :eek:

Bart

I think mine was about $100-$150 (for aftermarket) plus $100 for install. Mine is clear with no tint since I am so tall and did not want that dividing line in my vision. I also replaced all the mouldings with factory ones as mine were aged looking and separating.

Greasemonkey
09/17/2009, 07:12 AM
Hi just been out and looked at mine - Bronze tint - original japanese one too
its not a mega tint but more like a faint mirror finish if you look at in from the right angle
cheers
Steve

JAMAS
09/17/2009, 07:18 AM
Perhaps its a year thing. Maybe she is looking up based on the year. I noticed that Greasemonkey also has a '97 and a bronze finish. If you want a clear, maybe see if they can check a '99 VX. Provided no one has any concerns about fitting issues. Just a thought.

Greasemonkey
09/17/2009, 03:07 PM
Maybe you cannot get a non Bronze tint from Japan ?
i deliver and collect from Pilkington auto glass - i asked them to look up the VX - they had no records of ever making or ordering one - didn't even have the VX on the system lol
would be interesting to see what you get and how long it takes
cheers
Steve

crotchrocket
09/17/2009, 03:07 PM
Hi just been out and looked at mine - Bronze tint - original japanese one too
its not a mega tint but more like a faint mirror finish if you look at in from the right angle
cheers
Steve

yer back!! good hols??

As said in PM, the JDM cars all have a bronze tint, it was the same on the 300zx's as i had a UK model it was blue but otheres had bronze on their JDM. No real difference just that bronze tends to look a bit 'dated' now