PDA

View Full Version : Any advise on glue for window fix + ball joint flip help

crotchrocket
09/11/2009, 02:15 AM
Im tackling the window tilt problem this weekend and intend to glue the window back to the plastic tab. I just cant find a suitable product in the UK thats going to go off quick enough. Any ideas? Also does that fix hold? as there aren't any new tabs available here.

im also flipping the ball joints and repairing the passenger side ball joint gaitor, just wondering if its best to use the jack to get the lower arm back up after the ball joints flipped with axle stands under the chasis or to put the jack under the chasis and an axle stand under the wishbone? Or stick the wheel back on and lower it back down enough to get it seated and the castle nut back on?

Also tightning the drivers side wheel bearing as its loose.

oh and replaceing the fan belt tensioner bearing :D

Ldub
09/11/2009, 02:39 AM
I'm also flipping the ball joints and repairing the passenger side ball joint gaitor, just wondering if its best to use the jack to get the lower arm back up after the ball joints flipped with axle stands under the chasis or to put the jack under the chasis and an axle stand under the wishbone? Or stick the wheel back on and lower it back down enough to get it seated and the castle nut back on?

Here is how I managed it...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00285.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00286.JPG

This is with the frame on jack stands, using a floor jack under the lower control arm.

tom4bren
09/11/2009, 06:12 AM
CR,

After 11-12 years, those plastic tabs are gonna be brittle. I would highly recommend using SBC's upgrade. I have a spare one at home. Want me to check on shipping cost?

As far as adhesive: if you are reapplying the plastic tabs, I'd use PC-7 (I can't buy it local anymore so I need to see if it can be ordered on line) ... if you are installing the SBC brackets, I'd use black RTV since it's strong, adheres to glass & metal but can be reworked if necessary.

Tom

Ldub
09/11/2009, 06:34 AM
CR,

After 11-12 years, those plastic tabs are gonna be brittle. I would highly recommend using SBC's upgrade. I have a spare one at home. Want me to check on shipping cost?

As far as adhesive: if you are reapplying the plastic tabs, I'd use PC-7 (I can't buy it local anymore so I need to see if it can be ordered on line ... if you are installing the SBC brackets, I'd use black RTV since it's strong, adheres to glass & metal but can be reworked if necessary.

Tom

I can get PC-7 locally in any flavour you desire, (they have different formulas for hi-temp, steel, wood, etc) let me know if I can be of assistance...:yes:

tom4bren
09/11/2009, 06:41 AM
I can get PC-7 locally in any flavour you desire, (they have different formulas for hi-temp, steel, wood, etc) let me know if I can be of assistance...:yes:

Thanks. I'll let you know. I also need to pick up some PC-11 to install the depth finder on my boat.

Ldub
09/11/2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks. I'll let you know. I also need to pick up some PC-11 to install the depth finder on my boat.

I'll check what they have at my local fav hardware when I'm out & about later, & post a complete list of what they stock.

The last time I was in there, I noticed they had an amazing selection of the "PC" line, along with a huge variety of other epoxies...:thumbup:

crotchrocket
09/11/2009, 07:41 AM
CR,

As far as adhesive: if you are reapplying the plastic tabs, I'd use PC-7 (I can't buy it local anymore so I need to see if it can be ordered on line) ... if you are installing the SBC brackets, I'd use black RTV since it's strong, adheres to glass & metal but can be reworked if necessary.

Tom

Thanks ! is that 1 set (both brackets) ? Ship to

LONDON
SW10 9EL

tom4bren
09/11/2009, 08:37 AM
I have a complete spare set (don't ask why). I'll check into postage.

crotchrocket
09/11/2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks Bud! I'll hold off on it. you got a paypal account?

tom4bren
09/11/2009, 10:02 AM
Naw - just make a donation to the site to compensate for the Moncha roasting I did in another thread:)

taylorRichie
09/12/2009, 07:40 PM
Weight in at a mere 148lbs, I was unable to muscle it like Dub... so I used this method.

HA!!

Worked!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/bjFlip.jpg

Ratcheting Tie down, and a railroad tie as a filler since the strap needed to tighten further.

Screwdrivers were to help line up the holes...

On the other side I was able to use the neighboring fence at the post really low, and just ratchet straight down. Hindsight... probably should have asked a neighbor for a hand.

Ldub
09/14/2009, 01:45 AM

I'll check what they have at my local fav hardware when I'm out & about later, & post a complete list of what they stock.

The last time I was in there, I noticed they had an amazing selection of the "PC" line, along with a huge variety of other epoxies...:thumbup:

As promised...

PC Farenheit.(up to 500 deg)...1 oz. $5.00
PC Lumber.(for wood.....duh)...1 oz. $6.00
PC 11.............(Marine)..........2 oz. $6.00
PC 7........(Multi use-general)..2 oz. $6.00
PC Plumbing.....(guess)..........2 oz. $6.00
PC Metal.........(again)...........2 oz. $6.00
PC Crete.......(for concrete)....2 oz. $6.00

crotchrocket
09/14/2009, 07:05 AM
Naw - just make a donation to the site to compensate for the Moncha roasting I did in another thread:)

Thanks Tom thats really nice of you !!!!!!!! I'll PM you my address if you have the parts?

crotchrocket
09/14/2009, 07:09 AM
Oh dear !! Got 2 new ball joints coming, they weren't in a very good state!!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG00231.jpg

alterastro
09/14/2009, 10:03 AM
Be interested to hear how you get on James as my drivers door needs doing too.

Nick

crotchrocket
09/25/2009, 08:08 AM
okay, got the new ball joints!, going to install them tomorrow. Only difference i can see is that there is a grease nipple on these trooper ones. I got a gun and some bearing grease, that should be sufficient.

tom4bren
09/25/2009, 09:44 AM
Sorry for the delay CR. I'll try to get them in the mail tomorrow.

Tom

Edit:

I got them all packaged up & will run by the post office in the morning.

crotchrocket
09/25/2009, 03:21 PM
:dance::_beer::dance: thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom4bren
09/28/2009, 06:42 AM
Mailed on Saturday morning. I don't know how long it takes to go overseas & the declaration sheet didn't seem to be a problem (I put the declared value at $40 since I think there is some arbitrary limit of $50 - didn't take the time to check into it). It was funny tho, as soon as I told the guy the declared value of $40, the guy in the next line did the same (musta been majorly confused & assumed I knew what I was doing:)).

Don't forget to re-read the 'window fixin party' thread for lotsa good tips.

crotchrocket
10/09/2009, 05:58 AM
WHOOHOOO!!!! my window brackets have arrived thanks so much to tom4bren who sent them all the way to england for me and didn't want a penny!!! Obviousely i'll donate money to the site but is that possible to do at the moment !!!!!??

Thanks again Tom !!!!!!

crotchrocket
10/09/2009, 06:03 AM
is this the stuff to stick it??

http://www.intek-uk.com/rtv382.htm

tom4bren
10/09/2009, 06:50 AM
That'll certainly work but may be overkill. I just used black RTV from Ye Olde Auto Partse store.

crotchrocket
04/10/2010, 02:06 AM
LOL, finally going to look at my windows today! Got some strong silicone, hopefully that will hold the new brackets!

crotchrocket
04/10/2010, 06:11 AM
well.........passenger side window is done. Will see how it holds out and then do the drivers window. :D

VX KAT
04/10/2010, 09:15 AM
Just FYI...
Here's the thread about SBC Tim Parker installing my window brackets and the glue he used.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15322&highlight=tim+parker+sbc

SlowPro48
04/10/2010, 09:29 AM
An adhesive silicone with urethane blended in should be good enough for passenger window. No silicone will adhere as well as pure urethane though so if you want to be 100% sure the driver's side will hold, go with pure urethane like Goop, E6000, etc. Marine Goop is even UV stable but since it will be down in the door you don't really need that. Silicone is great for RTV gaskets and pretty good as a sealant too since it's UV stable - but it's a terrible adhesive. ...

samneil2000
04/11/2010, 06:47 PM
I used some JB weld type 2 part stuff. It seems to work pretty well. I don't think I will ever be able to get the brackets off the windows.

crotchrocket
04/16/2010, 06:57 AM
BTW it wasn't easy getting the wondow out/in with the JDM wind deflectors on !!!