PDA

View Full Version : How old ya say them tires are?

Ldub
09/10/2009, 05:16 AM
This information could save your life...:fyi:

I know I've seen info here before on tire age, but this vid really brings the subject into focus.

Many Thanks to Rowhard for finding this, & sending it to me...:thumbup:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

JAMAS
09/10/2009, 05:45 AM
Good knowledge to have. THANK YOU.

Although, it did make me a little paranoid. Guess what I am going to do when I get home today?

This information could save your life...:fyi:

I know I've seen info here before on tire age, but this vid really brings the subject into focus.

Many Thanks to Rowhard for finding this, & sending it to me...:thumbup:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

rowhard
09/10/2009, 02:01 PM
Good knowledge to have. THANK YOU.

Although, it did make me a little paranoid. Guess what I am going to do when I get home today?

I think most of us that watch the video will be doing the same thing for sure.

tom4bren
09/10/2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe we need to turn this thread into a poll for everyone to score how old their VX tires are.

etlsport
09/10/2009, 07:44 PM
the ones i just warrantied out were 4004

and for the record (i do work at a sears auto center, for the past 6 months) ive never seen a tire over 2 years old on our shelves, but a quick easy way to tell at sears is to look at the white lines across the tread of the tires, every 4 months we are supposed to go down the rows of tires in the warehouse and put a line across the tread, that way when selling tires, we choose the ones with the most lines, that is supposed to make sure that tires dont stick around for too long, so far worst ive seen is 5 lines

pbkid
09/10/2009, 08:58 PM
just checked mine... all were 06..

however my full size spare is 02 :eek:

dietz99vcross
09/15/2009, 08:39 PM
Just rotated my tires which are all from 07, but I used the donut spare on the first corner, and since while it is obvious to me now, I realized that it says "228" so go figure, my original spare tire on a ten year old vehicle is 11 years old. While I have never driven on it, I guess now is the time to make the leap to a full size spare.

AK Falco
09/15/2009, 10:09 PM
very good find. informative. ....................... checking tires now.;)

ZEUS
09/16/2009, 07:40 AM
We had a trailer tire give out while in Moab this weekend. We went to the tire store to see what was available. There was a Goodyear ("brand new") and Michelin ("used") - $60 and $50, respectively. My dad said, "I guess we'll take the new one." I asked the tire guy what year each tire was made and the "brand new" tire was 11 years old while the "used" tire was only 3 years old... guess which one we got... thanks Bubba Dub!

circmand
09/16/2009, 07:57 AM
Just rotated my tires which are all from 07, but I used the donut spare on the first corner, and since while it is obvious to me now, I realized that it says "228" so go figure, my original spare tire on a ten year old vehicle is 11 years old. While I have never driven on it, I guess now is the time to make the leap to a full size spare.

The donut can only be used in the front so a rear flat requires replacing a good front and then using the good front to replace the flat back tire and then you only have a few miles and at 45 mph or less to get them replaced.

Riff Raff
09/17/2009, 03:11 AM
Thanx Ldub & Rowhard for sharing this important info with the VX community. I knew about these tire codes, but they got lost somewhere within my brain cobwebs. Puzzling though; they mentioned six(6) years was the magic number for tire replacement, but they never specifically mentioned "why" in the video. My guess is dry-rot and/or UV damage. Speaking of "UV"; a great product with UV inhibitors that can be used on tires is SUN OF A GUN made by STP (very simular to Armor-All, but with UV additives).

Ldub
09/17/2009, 03:52 AM
Thanx Ldub & Rowhard for sharing this important info with the VX community. I knew about these tire codes, but they got lost somewhere within my brain cobwebs. Puzzling though; they mentioned six(6) years was the magic number for tire replacement, but they never specifically mentioned "why" in the video. My guess is dry-rot and/or UV damage. Speaking of "UV"; a great product with UV inhibitors that can be used on tires is SUN OF A GUN made by STP (very simular to Armor-All, but with UV additives).

Here's another option for ya Riff..http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=172630&postcount=15

I don't know if the STP stuff makes tires shiny, as I've never used it, but the 303 mentioned in the link makes em black....just black.

rowhard
09/24/2009, 07:26 AM
:bump:
thought I would bring this to page 1 for those that missed last time

BoarderCROSS2000
09/24/2009, 05:40 PM
:bump:
thought I would bring this to page 1 for those that missed last time

Just checked the new tires I paid almost $1 large for... two were 09 and two were 07... I think that should be fine. I guess it matters how long these last me. Still, wish I'd thought of this when I bought them.

Thanks.

Jeff

Riff Raff
09/24/2009, 08:08 PM
Just checked the new tires... two were 09 and two were 07... I think that should be fine. Still, wish I'd thought of this when I bought them.
Thanks.
Jeff

BoarderCross2000--- You're tires are fine; but yes, that's specifically why the Tire Industry has the codes "encrypted" because they don't want you to know these dates as it might hinder a possible purchase. I do find it odd that 2 were from '07 and 2 were from '09, as most tire shops receive their tires in "batch groups" with very close manufacturing dates.

There could be a very sharp store manager at your tire shop that purposely rotates his stock and always tries to sell the oldest tires in stock first, and routinely puts brand-new inbound tires at the extreme rear of the shelf for longivity. Thus, you could have gotten the very last 2 he had in stock from the '07 batch, and the very first 2 he had from the '09 batch (which were deliberately tucked behind the '07 models on the shelf in date sequence order). Basically; sell the oldest first, and the newest last.

etlsport
09/24/2009, 09:43 PM
There could be a very sharp store manager at your tire shop that purposely rotates his stock and always tries to sell the oldest tires in stock first, and routinely puts brand-new inbound tires at the extreme rear of the shelf for longivity. Thus, you could have gotten the very last 2 he had in stock from the '07 batch, and the very first 2 he had from the '09 batch (which were deliberately tucked behind the '07 models on the shelf in date sequence order). Basically; sell the oldest first, and the newest last.

thats the standard with many different products, including tires at many places

ive worked delivering bread to grocery stores, older bread comes to the front of the shelf so it gets sold before reaching its sell by date

same with milk

same with tires

heck even in electronics stores when there is a shift in packaging, typically the newer packaged products go to the back of the shelf so that the older ones will sell off