PDA

View Full Version : Yeah I'm crazy...need snow tires

leanit
09/08/2009, 03:36 PM
All,
I have a 2001 VX and I'm getting her ready for winter by replacing the tires for snow tires. Remember, I admitted to being crazy (:p )...Ha! Last year, I was driving to work with about 6 inches of snow on the ground and at 25 mph, she broke traction and nearly clipped a concrete divider. I am running Kumho road tires but want a more aggressive tire. I would even consider dropping down a wheel size or two to get the right tire. I need suggestions, please. To make matters worse, my wife works for Goodyear so Dunlop or Goodyears are perferred but not mandatory. Thanks for you help, JD

Gussie2000
09/08/2009, 03:44 PM
All,
I have a 2001 VX and I'm getting her ready for winter by replacing the tires for snow tires. Remember, I admitted to being crazy (:p )...Ha! Last year, I was driving to work with about 6 inches of snow on the ground and at 25 mph, she broke traction and nearly clipped a concrete divider. I am running Kumho road tires but want a more aggressive tire. I would even consider dropping down a wheel size or two to get the right tire. I need suggestions, please. To make matters worse, my wife works for Goodyear so Dunlop or Goodyears are perferred but not mandatory. Thanks for you help, JD

There's a thread named "Please post all rims & tires......" which can lead you to choose the right rubbers :yesgray:

Also we got a very wise member named RIFF RAFF from WA who works in the tire field so go & send him a PM (personal message) He'll more than happy to assist you.

Good luck !

Ldub
09/08/2009, 03:48 PM
First off, WELCOME to the forums!

You'll find a lot of Nitto Terra Grappler fans around here, Also check for posts by VX KAT, or snoop her gallery for the sweet Coopers she has.

Then there's always riffs favorite General Grabbers...:smilewink

What I'm getting to, is try out the search function, using "tires" as your search criteria (or any of the above mentioned brands)...you will find HOURS of interesting reading...:yes:

I say "hours" because almost everyone has an opinion on which tire is best, & they're all right to some degree...:smilewink

Ldub
09/08/2009, 03:51 PM
There's a thread named "Please post all rims & tires......" which can lead you to choose the right rubbers :yesgray:

Also we got a very wise member named RIFF RAFF from WA who works in the tire field so go & send him a PM (personal message) He'll more than happy to assist you.

Good luck !

Gussie, he doesn't work in the tire field, he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...:smilewink

nfpgasmask
09/08/2009, 03:54 PM
I personally find the VX somewhat iffy in the snow. I have had at least 4 instances out here while braking in the snow on the road where my VX completely lost traction and I was sliding. Since I lifted and put on the BFG M/Ts, it has been a lot better, but I also drive in 4x4 and I go slow when driving on the snow pack.

I had 245 BFG A/Ts prior to the 265 BFG M/Ts and I can honestly say the A/Ts were terrible (scary) in the snow. The M/Ts are MUCH better.

Bart

Gussie2000
09/08/2009, 04:01 PM
Gussie, he doesn't work in the tire field, he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...:smilewink

Holyday inn express ?

I wonder where he got the VIP membership card signed by Paris hilton :p

Triathlete
09/08/2009, 04:04 PM
From a quick search here are a couple relevant threads to read through...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10485&highlight=snow+ice+tires

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7878&highlight=snow+ice+tires

VX KAT
09/08/2009, 04:59 PM
:laugho:...:laugho:...:laugho:
:thumbup:

pbkid
09/08/2009, 05:21 PM
welcome to the forum bro :)

they all have better suggestions than me, im a brand whore..

leanit
09/08/2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. Even though I just joined this forum, I am a member of multiple motorcycle forums and am aware of the search function but was looking for a speedy reply. I thought with the number of members in the snowy climates I might be able to offer a specific brand/model.
The local tire stores in this area are saying I don't need a snow tire and are trying to get me to buy mudders...ain't happening. I have driven in snow from Germany to Virginia and most of it with FWD cars. I have never had a car 'snap' around on me the way the VX did. When I finally stopped, I swore I would not drive it again in snow without snow specific tires. The rest of the winter, I dove my Mazda 6 wagon or my wife's Lincoln MKX with no issues. Thanks again, JD

pbkid
09/08/2009, 06:36 PM
leanit- i have bridgestone winter duelers and they work GREAT in the colorado mountains...

rowhard
09/08/2009, 07:07 PM
I personally find the VX somewhat iffy in the snow. Bart
Wait, gas man, did you not move from chi town, the windy city to the high desert. Are you trying to say you don't know how to drive in the slippy stuff no matter what the vehicle? Come on, your s@#tting me RIGHT!!

Ldub
09/08/2009, 07:16 PM
Wait, gas man, did you not move from chi town, the windy city to the high desert. Are you trying to say you don't know how to drive in the slippy stuff no matter what the vehicle? Come on, your s@#tting me RIGHT!!

You GO Row!!!:smilewink...:_beer:

nocturnalVX
09/08/2009, 08:06 PM
From the 4 Wheel Parts website...

"Inventive lug design earns these Pro Comp tires a Severe Weather rating, while advanced tread patterns ensure even wear and maximum durability. The tread is designed with an elliptical siping pattern and interlocking shouldered lugs that provide extra bite and gripping power in snow, dirt, and sand."

These tires are very good, and I will be going back to them when my Xterrains wear down. Only in 33" rather than 31". :naughty:

SlowPro48
09/08/2009, 09:44 PM
I have never had a car 'snap' around on me the way the VX did.

Ahh yesss... you've never driven a Fiat X1/9 in the snow then... The only mid-engine car I've ever driven in the snow and the only one that would swap ends quicker than a VX. With a low polar moment of inertia and a short wheelbase things happen fast - the start of a spin requires some quick correcting - but the good part of low inertia is it will snap back the other way just as easily so you can you can recover from some seriously out of kilter yaw angles.

The VX is one of the best I've ever driven as far as forward acceleration on snow/ice - but one of the worst as far as lateral grip. It's fairly heavy for its size and there's no overcoming the laws of physics - a lot of momentum/centripetal force there for the tires to deal with when you bend the VX into a slippery turn. It's also not the best as far as braking is concerned. Definitely not the worst but not the best either. Snow is not very slick so you won't notice it so much in snow but try to brake on ice and you'll see it's kind of difficult to modulate the brakes at the point of incipient slide. The line between not braking at all and ABS kicking in is very fine indeed... So be careful! You won't get stuck on a hill - but you can easily wrap your baby around a tree if you enter a turn too hot. You may go off on a tangent no matter how good your tires are!

That said - if you're serious about wanting a good snow tire - which for the VX means the tire that provides as much lateral grip as possible since it really doesn't need much help in the forward grip arena - check out the Nokian Hakkapeliitta. Disclaimer: I haven't tried these tires (or any other snow tires for that matter) on my VX - no way would I buy snow tires when 90% of my driving is in NC - but I spent some time in Norway where they know a thing or two about snow - and Nokian Hakkapeliittas seemed to be the hot ticket.

crotchrocket
09/09/2009, 02:44 AM
I find the VX has a very archaic ABS system and it doesn't stop at all well in low traction conditions. I remember the first weekend i had the VX it snowed alot and i litterally skidded across a pedestrian crossing at about 3 mph !!! thankfully the pedestrian didnt walk out!

circmand
09/09/2009, 06:07 AM
It is more about the driver than the tire. Snow ghets packed when driven on and it creates heat. This melts the snow which then refreezes and trns to ice. No matter what tires you have you will slide on ice.

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 06:37 AM
My suggestion would be:

1. add 3" lift

2. 33x12.50 AT tires (severe weather rated) on rims with 'offset from hell':)

Even MTs would be OK but really only for deep snow.

Gussie2000
09/09/2009, 09:12 AM
Tires technology improved dramatically the last 15/20 years & becomed more reliable with better designs & safety.
And because of those facts drivers feels more confident in challenging nature where it concerns speed/traction & grip over different weather conditions but sometimes we forgets that as every human-made product it has its limitations which we continuosly refrain to respect that border.
Common sense is the best tool against icy roads because snow always have the upper hand in the game no matter how well your tires can perform out there.

JGeorge264
09/09/2009, 09:30 AM
I've had Nokian Vaativa's on mine for the past two years, 40,000 miles and look brank new. We had a rare 18 inches of snow in the Vancouver/Portland area last winter and the tires were awesome! I had absolutely no issues with snow or ice, could go anywhere I wanted to. I'll definately stick with them.

JAMAS
09/09/2009, 10:14 AM
My suggestion would be:

1. add 3" lift

2. 33x12.50 AT tires (severe weather rated) on rims with 'offset from hell':)

Even MTs would be OK but really only for deep snow.

Not trying to be a smart ***, but how would a 3" lift help in the snow/ice?

Ldub
09/09/2009, 10:15 AM

You can go through deeper snow...:naughty:...:laughing:

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 10:28 AM

Squeeze in 33x12.50's without a lift & you can drive in str8 lines real good ... not much else.

I was just trying to get him to think 'big picture'.

snowtrooper1966
09/09/2009, 10:43 AM
It is more about the driver than the tire. Snow ghets packed when driven on and it creates heat. This melts the snow which then refreezes and trns to ice. No matter what tires you have you will slide on ice.

^
I'll second that comment!
It really is more about the experience of the driver in bad snow / ice conditions than the tires, IMHO.
Driving home 200 miles in a blizzard when I first got the Dragon, there were no traction problems, even at freeway speeds in feet of powder.
I did, however, manage to spin it a few times when pushing it hard on snowy / icy roads when pushing the limits of good sense and testing the VX's capabilities.
From my experience, the short wheelbase really is not our friend in these conditions.
In general, no sharp turns and no hard braking.
Of the two, my Dragon was more forgiving with hard braking as opposed to sharp turns in the worst case scenarios.
That being said, I really like the Nitto Terra's I have, but you should be fine with just about any quality M/T tire out there. Just remember you can get any vehicle squirrley if you are not paying attention and in too much of a hurry on the bad days.....
Best,

nfpgasmask
09/09/2009, 10:56 AM
The only time I have slid in my VX is when trying to stop going down hill. Twice I complete slid into the intersection. I don't know if my driving skills had anything to do with it. It was like the instant I touched the brake pedal, I was floating. Even when going only 25mph or so, on the downgrade, there ain't nuthin' to stop you.

Now, flat land snow driving is different. I definitely think traction and driving skills are important.

In general, I think a wider stance with a higher center of gravity is going to help reduce sliding, especially with meaty tires. I can't wait to see how the Trooper does this winter.

Bart

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 11:03 AM
"In general, I think a wider stance with a higher center of gravity is going to help reduce sliding, especially with meaty tires."

FINALLY ... the 'offset from hell' is justified:dance:

nfpgasmask
09/09/2009, 11:04 AM
"In general, I think a wider stance with a higher center of gravity is going to help reduce sliding, especially with meaty tires."

When I said wider, I meant a little wider, lol. But yea, I can't imagine you sliding or tipping much. :rolleyes:

Bart

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 11:11 AM
Since my track is different than everyone else's, driving in the snow is INTERESTING trying to stay in one track or the other.

But yer right, I don't tip.

snowtrooper1966
09/09/2009, 11:22 AM

If for no other reason than to give us a Nelson Munz "Ha Ha" moment!;)

Ldub
09/09/2009, 11:24 AM
If for no other reason than to give us a Nelson Munz "Ha Ha" moment!;)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/nelson_ha_ha.jpg

snowtrooper1966
09/09/2009, 11:30 AM
Hey, Bart!
Both of my "testing the limits" slides were on hills, one, a sharp turn left that resulted in a 180 spin. And, believe it or not, I managed to get the Dragon to break loose and spin 360 going UPHILL on a slight curve that was icy. I WAS doing 50+, so no big surprise there...
Remember kids, these were calculated, controlled experiments on closed roads, so don't try this at home!
Yea, right;)
Best,

snowtrooper1966
09/09/2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/nelson_ha_ha.jpg

This tom4bren "offset from hell" bashing moment brought to you with love and affection by Ldub & snowtrooper1966;)

nfpgasmask
09/09/2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, we have a HUGE parking lot here at work. Several times in the winter I purposefully throttled the VX into a spin. With the AWD however, donuts are not as easy as you would think. Normally I can get the VX to slide sideways through the snow. But getting that full whip-around is tough.

Anyway, those few moments where I slid in the VX were the closest I have ever come to wrecking her. The worst was on a semi-steep grade, going down, and some schmuck pulled a turn in front of me. I was only going maybe 20-25 but the VX broke right out as soon as I touched the brake. I had to steer and slide her into the curb to keep from slamming into the dickbag who pulled out in front of me. That SUCKED. I swear, some people HAVE NO CLUE how to drive safely in the snow.

Thankfully now though, my VX will be hibernating for most of the winter while I tear up the unplowed Reno roads in my Trooper.

:) Bart

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 12:11 PM
This tom4bren "offset from hell" bashing moment brought to you with love and affection by Ldub & snowtrooper1966;)

:_snowplow DANG ... it's getting deep in here:)

pbkid
09/09/2009, 12:51 PM
man, you guys are spoiled...

drive a honda for 5 or 6 years... then get a VX and you will think its the best thing on the planet.

i drive back and forth, up and down the colorado mountains multiple times a week and the only thing that even resembles keeping up with me is a subaru.

ive definately had mulitple occasions where i was passing stuck chevy 3500 diesels, yukons, audi's, you name it.... like i said, except for the subaru :)

but, that has A LOT to do with the driver... my entire driving life i've been driving in heavy snow, so i dont get heavy on the skinny pedal, just slow and steady... you people who only get snow every once in a while tend to freeze up on the ice..

vt_maverick
09/09/2009, 02:35 PM
Having grown up in that area of NC and visited my family there many, many, many times since, I feel some level of obligation to state the obvious - just take vacation when it snows, because it'll only cost you a day or two once every few years. As others have said, it's just as likely that a lack of snow driving experience was the culprit. That's no knock against you - I have no idea what I'm doing either, and there's no way I could ever have as much experience as people who've been driving in it every winter for years. I just try not to drive unless I have to, or as was the case when I was on a business trip to Lake Tahoe last winter, let a co-worker from Ohio do it.

Maybe saying that means I need to turn in my man card, but until I find enormous amounts of free time, plentiful snow, and a large open parking lot (none of which occur naturally in my area) to practice, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 02:40 PM
Ya hafta remember too that there are different kinds of snow.

hardpack isn't too bad

slushy isn't too bad

wet snow on cold ground is BAAAD

snow & ice together = stay home

Triathlete
09/09/2009, 02:53 PM
These tires seem to do okay in a lil bit of snow!:bwgy:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/gta3wheeler/100_2677.jpg

pbkid
09/09/2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe saying that means I need to turn in my man card, but until I find enormous amounts of free time, plentiful snow, and a large open parking lot (none of which occur naturally in my area) to practice, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

smart man... if you dont know how to do it... DONT...

its all about practicing with your car and knowing what it can and cant do

Ya hafta remember too that there are different kinds of snow.

hardpack isn't too bad

slushy isn't too bad

wet snow on cold ground is BAAAD

snow & ice together = stay home
very very very very true

circmand
09/10/2009, 07:25 AM
and my tire worries are hoping they do not melt I am from PA and spent several years in VT as well. It was VT where I purchased the VX and can vouch for its abilities. I am in the newspaper biz and several times I had to go out and assist peope working for me delivering papers when we had 2 feet of snow overnight.

etlsport
09/11/2009, 06:13 AM
if you are looking at goodyears, id look into the fortera tripletred, they are severe ice/snow rated, you can get them in a 265/60/18 and can run them all year 'round

of course if you are getting winter only tires, step down in width too, maybe a 225 or 235.. that will help with snow traction by itself

circmand
09/11/2009, 07:33 AM
if you are looking at goodyears, id look into the fortera tripletred, they are severe ice/snow rated, you can get them in a 265/60/18 and can run them all year 'round

of course if you are getting winter only tires, step down in width too, maybe a 225 or 235.. that will help with snow traction by itself
\
Just for my edification how does going tp a thinner tire help traction

etlsport
09/11/2009, 07:40 AM
for snow and mud, a thinner tire will help push through snow, either to the road or to snow that is less powdery, and easier to get a grip on, this doesnt work with excessive amounts of snow.. but if you can push through to road or compacted snow, youll be better off

in dry weather a wider tire will give you better traction